• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

YOSHIKI to undergo surgery on Monday‏

Ashura · 48747

Offline Ashura

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:52 PM
According to the X Japan Official Web Page, YOSHIKI will undergo neck surgery today at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Beverly Hills, CA, where many other celebrities have received treatment in the past. Director of Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, MD, Mch Orth. Neel Anand will preform a cervical foraminotomy, which is a minimally invasive procedure done to relieve the symptoms of a pinched nerve by enlarging the space through which the nerve root exits from the spinal cord.

The surgery became necessary because of increasing neck pains and left hand numbness. Before deciding on getting cervical foraminotomy, YOSHIKI did seek out second and third options on the diagnosis and treatment, but concluded that a surgery was necessary.

After the surgery, YOSHIKI will need a few weeks to recover from the surgery and a month or more of rehabilitation. In the case of his condition not improving, alternative treatments might be considered.

You can read more about cervical foraminotomy here!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:30:13 PM by Hypno »

We're X!

Offline cherrybeary520x

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 10:02:16 PM
I think I'm gonna cry....Hopefully he'll be ok..

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 10:16:58 PM
Hopefully this means the end of neck problems.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 10:23:46 PM
I'm trying to figure out what my reaction to this should be.
So far....I only get *facepalm* which I think is enough to summarize everything I'm feeling.

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 10:23:46 PM
Let see...so that means no concerts for all of August...meaning they have 4 months to preform....13 concerts that were announced at the start of the year....I am starting to think the lack of information from them recently is a good thing, it means they have less commitment to their fans....

Anyway, I don't believe that this surgery will affect the upcoming, twice rescheduled Paris concert.

Offline Macha

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:36:37 AM
D: I almost had a heart attack when i saw the title! I hope he'll be okay T.T surgery can be scary :(

Hopefully this means the end of neck problems.

I doubt that it will. this surgery will probably just help him make it though concerts...after that, who knows..

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 01:02:50 AM
I would rather have Yoshiki healthy and able to perform the 'promised' concerts then for him to be in pain and barely able to.   but then again.. some people are selfish enough to want the shows with little regard to how the performer is.

This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:59:15 AM
Let see...so that means no concerts for all of August...meaning they have 4 months to preform....13 concerts that were announced at the start of the year....I am starting to think the lack of information from them recently is a good thing, it means they have less commitment to their fans....

Anyway, I don't believe that this surgery will affect the upcoming, twice rescheduled Paris concert.

Is that what Yoshiki means to you?  A few concerts?   Geesh.. I thought he ment more to his fans than that.

This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.

Offline BloodofBathory

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • MySpace page
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:32:16 AM
I'm scared and happy at the same time.  I hope his surgery goes well, I'll just be happy if he's okay, even if there are no more concerts...he's been going straight for 20 years after all!

The seven vices I love ~ They are all sweet poison ~ Born from my mouth

Offline Eos

• Rookie
  • I'm not that Complicated, just M!zzundaztood!<3
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 02:39:20 AM
I totally agree with Ryo-Ohki just what is Yoshiki to someone people. He is a man first and for most a human being he's not super man here. I much rather they not perform until every single member is in the best over all health. I do not say this to offend anyone but a true fan would understand the need for the procedure and wait it out. Not jump to the Paris live screw it being re scheduled "2" times already. "We are X", not we are get upset because something beyond his control flared up and with still a whole "2" months to go before Paris. Yeah I get irate easily when people go on about the concerts over the we being of the members and I know I definitely do not stand alone in my aggravation here!!! So remember its not about the "2" canceled concerts its about the best interest of the men behind the band (X) Japan.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:45:38 AM by Eos »

Whether its real or truth in a dream its still pointing my mind...

Offline Michiko

• Sunday Listener
  • You love me!
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 03:06:51 AM
I agree with Eos, the surgery has a chance of failing so don't get your hopes up just yet. Concerts are concerts, you can't control what happens and neither can Yoshiki. And for those of you who have had any sort of surgery, you know how painful it is when you wake up. You basically have a knife wound. I was in pain for two weeks striat after having my appendix taken out. It's not fun and pain also makes your stomach go sour on you, not a fun experience. The recovery for any small surgery is a month for you to fully heal. This I would assume is a medium surgery because of the thickness of the skin around the area (at the back of the neck) but nevertheless it is still something that takes time to recover from. So he could be out for upwards to two months, then there is the time it takes to practice. So, please people, this is something serious when dealing with nerves. Numbness in the hands is never a good thing. You should support him instead of being selfish and going for the concerts (I don't mean to offend anyone, but it's the truth). Yoshiki has been selfless for the longest time, I think we should allow him to recover so that he can perform for us.

Go make my day....you know you wanna....do it.....DO IT!

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 03:07:47 AM
Hmm..however, I do wonder if it;s going to interfere with the live or not.
(Spare me the trouble and don't even suggest I don't care about him as a person and don't worry about his health cause I don't want to be upset right now. )
I mean, is he actually gonna be able to play till October or not?
Because to me it seems that he won't be...(though I'm not a doctor..)
So if he won't be able to play and if the surgery was planned for at least this past week...then why was the live announced/confimed?...

(And I repeat...don't even try to say I only care about the goddamn live and not about his health cause that's clearly not what I'm saying here and I'm just making sure.)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what exactly this operation is cause my mom had a similar one...I think and I'm pretty sure it took her quite a while to be able to move her neck normally...

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline xjokerx

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 03:19:00 AM
http://www.barks.jp/news/?id=1000051438

Drummer, pianist and X JAPAN band leader, Yoshiki, will undergo neck surgery on Monday, July 27, 2009 at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Beverly Hills, CA. Dr. Neel Anand, Director of the Cedars-Sinai Spine Center, will perform a cervical foraminotomy.

Due to his intense drumming style, Yoshiki developed a worsening of his neck pain and left hand numbness over the past month, affecting his music performance. His condition has been evaluated by doctors in the U.S. and Japan. Yoshiki underwent a spinal x-ray series, an MRI of the spine, and an EMG. After seeking second and third opinions on the diagnosis and treatment, he concluded that the foraminotomy was necessary for the cervical foraminal stenosis.

Yoshiki's primary physician at the Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Dr. Tommy H. Tomizawa (UCLA Assistant Professor), states that he will need a few weeks to recover from the surgery and a month or more of rehabilitation. If his condition does not improve over the next several months, laminectomy, discectomy and spinal fusion would be considered. Artificial disc placement would be another treatment of choice.

let me see paris concert is about 3 months left,will he be recover within 3 months?I didn't say that Yoshiki means only concert to me especially,but why he always choose wrong time,I guess here it goes again another excuse for postponement,anyway get well soon,hope after surgery,he'll be healthy and sane enough.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 03:33:40 AM by xjokerx »

Offline Michiko

• Sunday Listener
  • You love me!
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 03:52:41 AM
I meant no offense to anyone, it's just that I see a lot of people who are selfish. If I did offend anyone I am truly sorry, but a lot of fans are more worried about the concert. Recovery does take a long time, I'm still recovering from my surgery that was in April, my body hasn't gotten use to being without an organ yet (-_-) I can't eat most of the foods I could before. So yes recovery time varies from the type of surgery. Since this one has to do with nerves being pinched by a herniated (not sure if I spelled that right but I don't care I'm tired) disk, surgery on the nerves can be very dangerous. I'm more worried about his overall health than anything else.

Again if I offended anyone, I apologize. I'm sure you mean everything with a good heart but there are some people who are indeed impatient.

Offline RainSeraphim

• Sunday Listener
  • Forever love...
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 03:54:10 AM
I just read this myself; hoping for the best. I was actually wondering when he was going to undergo surgery for it, since it's been on my mind for a while. Let's all give our best wishes.

If you could have told me anything...you would have known what love is...

Offline Michiko

• Sunday Listener
  • You love me!
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 04:19:03 AM
He will be back to his workaholic nature in no time! Give or take two or three months. Actually I think he is pretty worried himself, surgery is scary. I was scared too, of course I didn't realise that I was asleep until I woke up in recovery with a tube going down my throat. Talk about scary. Waking up to that. I panicked and then sleep caught up with me. But yeah, I think this isn't his first rodeo and that he'll recover eventually. So my prayers are with him.

And yes, I am critical about this sort of thing.  ;D

My love goes out to Yoshiki!

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 04:52:19 AM
He will be back to his workaholic nature in no time! Give or take two or three months. Actually I think he is pretty worried himself, surgery is scary. I was scared too, of course I didn't realise that I was asleep until I woke up in recovery with a tube going down my throat. Talk about scary. Waking up to that. I panicked and then sleep caught up with me. But yeah, I think this isn't his first rodeo and that he'll recover eventually. So my prayers are with him.

And yes, I am critical about this sort of thing.  ;D

My love goes out to Yoshiki!

I know how you feel.  When I had my hysterectomy back in october.. it took me several months to be able to get around like I did before... and even now.. I still have minor issues... and I'm looking at another surgery in the next month or so...

It's a long process, and with selfish fans pressuring him, all he is going to do is try to deliver before he's ready.  Just back off you guys and let him recover at his body's pace.. NOT YOURS!

I'm really not trying to be a meanie, but as others have said, there are a lot of fans who are more concerned about shows being done than Yoshiki's health.  That isn't fair to him nor is it fair to the band.

Offline Michiko

• Sunday Listener
  • You love me!
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 06:25:36 AM
Well said. I actually worry about him a lot. But that is me.

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 27, 2009, 06:40:01 AM
Damn, I hope he'll be alright, hes had this neck thing for a long time, hopefully this will fix it or at least improve it.

Get well Yoshiki!!!

Offline julien

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • GTOpro
Reply #19 on: July 27, 2009, 07:43:31 AM
Stop worrying about the Paris gig ! It'll happen... you know how he is... he has decided to play in Paris so he will. I think he'll be able to do it as the recrovery should take 1 month

X JAPAN [Belgian Street Team]

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
 |We want old songs ! |
 |___________|
       ∧∧ ||
    ( ゚д゚)||
    / づΦ

Offline Nathalie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:04 AM
I wonder why whenever anyone mentions the Paris show, it is considered "not worrying about Yoshiki"? I think it's a normal thing to cross your mind, 4 days after the concert was officially announced and with such a long rehabilitation period ahead. Nevertheless Yoshiki means a lot to me and of course I see that this operation can help him in the long run. Let's hope it works out as planned. :)

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: July 27, 2009, 08:55:00 AM
hope everything goes well and YOSHIKI will recover soon.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 27, 2009, 09:34:41 AM
The surgery sounds very serious and hopefully it goes well and no further surgery is required. Yoshiki shouldn’t push himself too much immediately afterwards, otherwise it could be that he does more damage and may never be able to play again. I don’t think it will be a miracle cure either and he will never have neck problems again, I think he seriously needs to look after himself more!

I also don’t think he has just chosen to do this. The article says in the last month he has had worsening neck pain and numbness in his left hand, this is never a good thing and quite rightly he has had it checked out and had not only second opinions but third opinions too in order to decide the best course of action. I certainly don’t think he is using this as an excuse to postpone the live, no-one would go into neck surgery unless it was extremely necessary.

The official announcement for the Paris live is on the 3rd of August, this is probably to give enough time to see how the surgery has gone. As others have said, Yoshiki’s health is far more important than any concert and it is important that when and if this goes ahead he is healthy and ready to play.

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: July 27, 2009, 09:56:28 AM
I really don´t care if Paris takes place or not, as long as he will be okay and has time enough to recover. And I hope he won´t be  stupid and return to the stage too soon. Being paralyzed forever won´t be that funny (or whatever could happen in the end). My best wishes for his health and a quick recovery!

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2009, 10:11:38 AM
Blah, we'll just see if he'll be able to play again till then, if not, well, he better gets as healthy as he can before messing around with his body again.

And I was just doing some small researches (...try to find what the hell that surgery is called in german, actually) but it doesn't seem like something SUPER-big. there are other ways of surgery for that problem and this one seems to be the "easiest" one. o_o
Let's hope it will go well!

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Camazotz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: July 27, 2009, 01:14:03 PM
I don't care about the concerts att all. If Yoshiki will be fine, I can wait for ten more years D: He's the most important after all.

I belive if time passes, everything turnes into beauty.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 02:31:55 PM
Edited the first post, changed the text to a more informative one, there is now a message about this on XJP Official Web Site also, plus a link to the profile of the doctor who's conducting the surgery and a link to more info about the actual procedure, to whoever might be interested.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 05:21:02 PM
Message from Yoshiki to all fans:

"突然こんな報告をすることになってしまってごめんなさい。

前向きな方向に向かうと……自分は信じています。
XJAPANの再結成を決めた時からこうなる覚悟は出来ていました。
昨年3月の東京ドームから始まった計10本のコンサート……必ずしも完璧(かんぺき)とはいえなかったかもしれないけど、1ステージ、1ステージに対して全力を尽くしてきました。
そこでみんなと過ごした時間は……これから何があろうと自分の人生に刻まれた、とても素敵(すてき)な思い出です。

この数週間、日米の著名な先生の方々に体の診断をしていただき......
"もうこれ以上ドラムは不可能です"という言葉から、また"首のディスクを入れ替えて、その後安静にしていれば、将来普通の生活が送れるかもしれない"という診断までさまざまな意見を頂きましたが.....
自分としては....."何でもしますから、もう一度ドラムを叩ける体にして下さい...もう一度ピアノを弾ける体にして下さい....そのためには骨を削ろうが入れ替えようが構いません"と伝えました。

今、手術の数時間前ですが.....自分はこの手術が成功すると信じています。
そして、今決まっているFrance公演を含め、これから発表されるその他の国々、そして日本での公演を.....決行するつもりでいます。

みんなも手術の成功を祈ってね。

うまく言葉に出来ないんだけど.....体が粉々になるその最後の瞬間まで.....自分は音楽を奏で続けます。

~破滅に向かって~(笑)

Love

Yoshiki"

I'm working on a translation...

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 05:32:46 PM
Rough Translation:

He talks about his hopes at the start of the reformation of X Japan and his intentions and then talks about his recent problems and receiving medical diagnosis from both American and Japanese doctors.

The doctors said their goal was to repair the damage so that Yoshiki could live a normal life, but he has asked them to make his body so it can play the drums and the piano "once more".

He says that he hopes to play the shows they announced abroad and in Japan and will stand by his word in regard to the now announced Paris concert date and that he intends to carry on.

He asks people to prey for the success of the operation and says that he will keep going until the last moment that his love of music breaks his body into pieces.

Offline edyork

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 05:45:36 PM
Omg, im worried.....has the surgery ended? im confused about the timing from the other timezone..

his message is so Yoshiki...and has left me with lots of What Ifs =/