• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Muse's new Album

Beauty/Broken · 8011

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: July 20, 2009, 11:50:33 AM
Anyone else really pumped for this?

They are releasing snippets of their new song, "United States of Eurasia" one by one, today the final piece is due out - but for now, here is what has been released so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrUfyBUtwXE

It's like a mixture between Muse and Queen, it's typical Matt Bellamy song writing with a beautifully elabourate orchestral arrangement, but there are definate hints of Queen thrown in there.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:21:18 PM
I really cant wait - it has been been a long time in the making, but it sounds like it is going to be worth it!!! I am so annoyed I couldn't get tickets for their upcoming tour. I have seen them before and they were amazing - best gig I have ever been too!!!

Had a few listens to the clip and I really like it, definately some hints of Queen thrown in there, and some middle eastern sounds - it works well!! They have said they have been experimenting a lot with this album so it will be interesting to see what the other songs are like. Roll on September!!

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:11:29 AM
I really cant wait - it has been been a long time in the making, but it sounds like it is going to be worth it!!! I am so annoyed I couldn't get tickets for their upcoming tour. I have seen them before and they were amazing - best gig I have ever been too!!!

Had a few listens to the clip and I really like it, definately some hints of Queen thrown in there, and some middle eastern sounds - it works well!! They have said they have been experimenting a lot with this album so it will be interesting to see what the other songs are like. Roll on September!!

I totally hear you about wanting to see them live. I've been a fan since 2002 but I've not yet seen them. I was too young during their Absolution tour and during the Blackholes and Revelations tour I never got an opportunity to see them. The closest they were playing to where I lived was Sheffield, and that's still a long way - it sold out so fast aswell >_>

I must see Muse, somehow, somewhere. It feels crazy to say I've seen X Japan but not Muse, with X being based on the other side of the planet and Muse being a band from my own country who have toured extensively.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 09:06:13 AM
If you go to their site, you can download their latest song....very awesome!!!

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 02:49:50 PM
Beauty/Broken you are so lucky to have seen X Japan live (very jealous!!), and you should also see Muse, they are awesome live!! Unfortunately, getting hold of tickets is getting more difficult every time they tour - this tour sold out crazy fast!  There is only one date in Scotland and even though I tried for both presale and actual sale tickets I still never got any! I was hoping they would add a few extra dates but I don’t think they will. The annoying thing (as is increasingly the case with every band) is all the touts selling tickets at extortionate prices – makes me so angry!!! Genuine fans miss out!  >:(

*Rant over*

Anyway, have listened to United States of Eurasia a lot over the past few days and I love it!! Really excited to hear the rest of the album, especially the 3 – part Exogenesis symphony!!! I think Matt has been working on it for many years and involves an orchestra, so will be interesting to see what he has done!!

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 12:30:53 AM
An update for those of you who don't know; Muse's latest single, Uprising, is now available on various iTunes stores around the world, and can also be streamed in full on their official website.

Sound very cool for the first track of the album, but I still like United States of Eurasia better.

Offline Dark Shadow

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 12:36:54 AM
I've listened to the Muse. I think they have alot of talent but for some reason the songs fall a little short for me.

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:34:26 PM
I've got tickets for the tour this time, I'm so pumped! I wanna get my hands on the album as soon as possible so I can listen in on all the songs before going.
I can believe the tickets sold out fast this time. Their popularity's been incredibly boosted with being on the Twilight soundtrack, so I guess I'll be seeing a lot of Twilight fangirls who've only heard Supermassive Black Hole.

Wow @ the Queen likeness in the new song though. Nothing wrong with it. I love Queen.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 10:26:52 PM
Must say I am really looking forward to the album to. Hope they come back to NZ, missed them the last time they were here.

EDIT:....ok....I just preordered the new album from the muse official site....the nice limited edition one that comes with the USB, vinyls etc.....so excited!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:10:18 PM by mC »

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:03:37 PM
If  anyone is interested iTunes (well at least the UK store, not sure about the others) have a preview clip of each song on the album, its only 30 seconds so cant really get a proper idea of each song but its better than a kick in the teeth as the saying goes!!

From the clips my favourites so far seem to be - MK Ultra and Guiding light (although Matt sounds a bit like Bono at the start of the clip which is weird!). Also, Exogenesis sounds like it could be really really good, very excited after hearing the clips!!

Anyhow, like I said 30 seconds is not really much, so can’t make too many assumptions but I am excited to hear the full versions!

Offline MIHO

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 11:20:54 AM
I heard "the Uprising" today, it's really good! It's not very different from their previous stuff, but that doesn't really bother me, since that's a good thing.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 10:01:18 PM
I've listened through the whole album a couple of times now... and I'm not as amazed as I had thought I would be. I was quite disappointed with the Exogenesis Symphony on the whole, I expected it to be a lot more.

For me, the best track on the album is MK Ultra, it's a really awesome song. Resistance is a real gem too, but I'd say that 'I belong to you' and 'Guiding Light' are already tracks I dislike and will probably avoid in the future.

Offline Kim Kyung Ho

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 12:54:24 AM
Muse are getting more and more lame as time goes by. They're too busy trying to 'spread the message' of paranoia in their music. Matt is too up his arse about conspiracy theories and ufology these days and a lot of his songs come across as a semi-parody of certain musical genres. They're music sometimes sounds "over-melodramatic" if that is at all possible. The random placement of Romantic-era inspired Piano flourishes are coming across as a bit borderline. Their fanbase is an even greater story...

They peaked at Origin of Symmetry and sloped rapidly after releasing Blackholes and Revelations. I understand the need to be different and expand their musical horizons as it were. Although i'm a bit stumped on what market they are really heading for with the new album. The whole thing sounds like an experiment but the juxtaposition of each track are so unevenly matched that it makes the whole thing sound a bit of a mess to be honest. It's a bit beta; functional and capable of being used reasonably, but not fully tested for bugs and seems to be missing key features.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 01:00:41 AM by Kim Kyung Ho »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 04:45:30 PM
Muse are getting more and more lame as time goes by. They're too busy trying to 'spread the message' of paranoia in their music. Matt is too up his arse about conspiracy theories and ufology these days and a lot of his songs come across as a semi-parody of certain musical genres. They're music sometimes sounds "over-melodramatic" if that is at all possible. The random placement of Romantic-era inspired Piano flourishes are coming across as a bit borderline. Their fanbase is an even greater story...

They peaked at Origin of Symmetry and sloped rapidly after releasing Blackholes and Revelations. I understand the need to be different and expand their musical horizons as it were. Although i'm a bit stumped on what market they are really heading for with the new album. The whole thing sounds like an experiment but the juxtaposition of each track are so unevenly matched that it makes the whole thing sound a bit of a mess to be honest. It's a bit beta; functional and capable of being used reasonably, but not fully tested for bugs and seems to be missing key features.

If you think Muse is 'over-melodramatic' then I dread to think what you regard X Japan as being :p

Just sayin'

But yeah, my opinion is that they peaked with Absolution, as it was there which they found their "sound" - Origin of Symmetry being a transitional album when they were still looking for it, Showbiz being the sound which earned them the title "Radiohead rip offs" even by Thom Yorke himself. Blackholes and Revelations was okay, but is nowhere near as good as Absolution. The Resistance is probably their worst album in my estimations. It lacks cohesion and borders between the sublime and the awful.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 05:29:45 PM
I couldn’t decide whether or not to listen to the full tracks or just wait till Monday, but I finally gave in! Thoughts so far : -

Well, it is not really what I had hoped for.

My favourites would have to be MK Ultra, Uprising and The Resistance. They are good tracks and I could listen to them over and over and imagine they will be good live! I also quite like the simpleness of Guiding Light, not really sure if I could listen to it over and over, but it’s ok.

Exogenesis – I like Exogenesis, but its not really as “epic” as I was expecting. For all the hype about how long Matt had worked on it I thought it would have been better, so bit disappointed as it seems a bit "meh" compared to what I thought it would have been. I don’t really know what I was expecting but I am just a bit underwhelmed by it at the moment!

I am not keen on I belong to you and Undisclosed Desires (its more like the Pet Shop Boys or something).

At the minute, I don’t really know what to make of the album - I am not so excited about it that I cant stop listening (as I was with earlier albums, particularly Absolution and Origin of Symmetry) but its not terrible enough that I do not want to hear it again!! I really really wanted to love this album, but I am sad to say I don’t know if it has lasting appeal to me but I guess I will just wait and see. I could totally change my opinion once I have my own copy to listen to. After all, I didn’t like Uprising to begin with (sounding like a weird Dr Who song!!) but after hearing it over the past few weeks it has really grown on me so perhaps the others will too.

Offline Kim Kyung Ho

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 07:33:43 PM

If you think Muse is 'over-melodramatic' then I dread to think what you regard X Japan as being :p

Just sayin'

But yeah, my opinion is that they peaked with Absolution, as it was there which they found their "sound" - Origin of Symmetry being a transitional album when they were still looking for it, Showbiz being the sound which earned them the title "Radiohead rip offs" even by Thom Yorke himself. Blackholes and Revelations was okay, but is nowhere near as good as Absolution. The Resistance is probably their worst album in my estimations. It lacks cohesion and borders between the sublime and the awful.

I was referring to the music than the stage performance really. :)

X Japan have the melodrama in a theatrical sense at their concerts, and lets not forget that a lot of this is contributed to common cultural influences in Far East Asia. Yoshiki is masterful at lyricism and composition though. His songs are heartfelt and he's one of the best ballad lyricists going today. They don't bask half as much into pretension, and they don't have an idiot fan base labelling them as "Space Rock / Space Opera" and other nonsense. It's the result of a post-Jeff Buckley movement I guess where music had to be 'more' than simply bringing enjoyment and occasionally beauty to the listener.

Matt seems to go out of his way to make the songs as awkward to understand as possible. It's not like you could ever work out what he was singing for the majority of their early releases anyway. His phonetics left a lot to be desired :P There is no denying Matt Bellamy's musicianship; he has more talent than the average generic pop/rock band does in today's industry for sure. There is an occasional air of superiority from their fan base simply because he incorporates Rachmaninov-esque interludes into his music.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:44:43 PM by Kim Kyung Ho »

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 07:56:25 PM
seems like if nobody had ever listented to muse here... what makes muse such a wonderful band is their passion to always try new things, new sounds; guitar, orchestra, electronic, etc. and not getting stuck in the same sound like lot of bands do, they want something different in every album and now they even tried rnb with undisclosed desires or a whole symphony which, imo, makes the resistance a really good album

really, the resistance is a kick-ass album from start to finish, they wanted to experience with new sounds as they have always done and they have 'experienced' perfectly, if other people like other sounds they can listen to origin of symmetry as many times they want or even play unnatural selection which reminds me of oos

hi there

Offline Kim Kyung Ho

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 08:03:16 PM
seems like if nobody had ever listented to muse here... what makes muse such a wonderful band is their passion to always try new things, new sounds; guitar, orchestra, electronic, etc. and not getting stuck in the same sound like lot of bands do, they want something different in every album and now they even tried rnb with undisclosed desires or a whole symphony which, imo, makes the resistance a really good album

really, the resistance is a kick-ass album from start to finish, they wanted to experience with new sounds as they have always done and they have 'experienced' perfectly, if other people like other sounds they can listen to origin of symmetry as many times they want or even play unnatural selection which reminds me of oos

Even I Belong To You/Mon Coeur S'ouvre A Toi? :P Sorry, I respect your opinion but that song was like ear-rape. :P

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 08:38:59 PM

I agree with you that it is good that they are willing to experiment and try new things, and of course their music should be allowed to evolve and change over the years (I certainly do not expect or want them to make another Origin of Symmetry as that has been done). However I am not going to say that everything is fantastic when I don’t think it is. I think Muse fandom is pretty full of people like that who think Matt is a god who can do no wrong so they don’t need me adding to it.

Like I said, this is just my initial opinion and my opinion on first hearing BH&R was similar -I didn’t really like it at first but it grew on me (still not one of my favourite Muse albums), however at the moment I am disappointed with the album and I do say that as a Muse fan. Just because they are willing to try RnB does not make it a good album – I am sorry but a good album is not dependent on how many “genres” you can fit on a CD.

If you like Resistance then that is great for you as you are entitled to your own opinion. However, so are those of us who are not so keen on this album, it certainly does not make us any less fans of Muse; we are allowed to express our own opinions positive or negative.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 08:58:56 PM
of course you're entitled to express positive or negative opinions about the album and obviously everything they have made is not fantastic (some bh&r songs are quite shitty actually xD), but what makes me 'angry' is that some people are surprised for what muse did with this album when they should already know that muse changes in every album

and of course having many genres in the same album does not make it good but, as i said, they tried new sounds and genres and these ones sound really good, even if it's the first time they do something like it

hi there

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 09:53:32 PM
That’s fair enough. I wouldn’t say I am surprised with this album as I was expecting differences. At the minute I do not really have an opinion on the album, probably because I have not heard it enough. However at first listen I was disappointed with some of the songs. I expect them to experiment and I do not listen thinking I will love every song so it is fine that in the album there are one or two songs I am not keen on. In this case it just happens to be I belong to you and Undisclosed Desires. Yes, I commend them for experimenting, however I just didn’t like these two songs, simple as that! Its not that I am disappointed with them for trying new sounds, I never said that I did not like them trying new things (far from it in fact) but in this case for me it has not worked.

Actually I think one of the reasons I am a bit disapointed with Exogenesis is that I dont think it has met Matt's full potential. I was expecting something awesome, he has after all worked for years on this and I really did think it would be amazing, however at the moment I just cannot hear anything extremely special about it. Now, that is not to say I do not like the song (or songs if we count the three parts) as I do think they are good, but I was really expecting something that was pushing his boundaries.

Sorry, but it just makes me “angry” when people think that anything Muse does (or any artist/band for that matter) is amazing and they will not hear any criticism. I love Muse; however I cannot say I like certain songs when I don’t, I have to be honest.

Anyway, I have only listened to the songs on the internet and I certainly have not written off the album, in fact I already really like some of the songs and I am waiting till I get my own copy on Monday and then I will be able to listen to it properly!  ;D

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 09:59:08 PM
blegh, Muse...
I really dont see why everybody likes this band.

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: September 10, 2009, 10:02:54 PM
blegh, Muse...
I really dont see why everybody likes this band.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC2F-2H2Piw[/youtube]

Welcome  8)

hi there

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 09:56:18 AM
nope, still dont see it.
seriously, whats so special about that?

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 02:58:10 PM
nope, still dont see it.
seriously, whats so special about that?

It's epic, that's what. :p Perhaps not the best song in their set that day, but that 2004 Glasto' show is pretty legendary. A lot of people regard them as being the best head liners ever, which is quite an accolade given the diverse range of music fans who frequent Glasto.

was referring to the music than the stage performance really. Smiley

X Japan have the melodrama in a theatrical sense at their concerts, and lets not forget that a lot of this is contributed to common cultural influences in Far East Asia. Yoshiki is masterful at lyricism and composition though. His songs are heartfelt and he's one of the best ballad lyricists going today. They don't bask half as much into pretension, and they don't have an idiot fan base labelling them as "Space Rock / Space Opera" and other nonsense. It's the result of a post-Jeff Buckley movement I guess where music had to be 'more' than simply bringing enjoyment and occasionally beauty to the listener.

I dunno, I'd say that there is definitely a sense of theatrics with Muse which is very much a kin to X Japan. Everything Yoshiki does is bathed in melodrama and theatrics, while Muse perhaps don't bring all of that to the stage they certainly have it in their music. X Japan's ballads are especially pseudo-pretentious and overly bombastic, I don't see how they are any more "heartfelt" than some of Muse's songs such as "Unintended", "Soldiers Poem" or "Sing for Absolution". Also, the last I heard, Yoshiki is actually quite the Muse fan himself. He cited Radiohead and Muse as bands he listens to frequently.

And as for the last thing you said in that paragraph, I'm not even going to address it because it's just silly. You're basically professing X Japan's superiority based on how you dislike Muse's fan-base. I thought we were talking about music here? :p

Matt seems to go out of his way to make the songs as awkward to understand as possible. It's not like you could ever work out what he was singing for the majority of their early releases anyway. His phonetics left a lot to be desired Tongue There is no denying Matt Bellamy's musicianship; he has more talent than the average generic pop/rock band does in today's industry for sure. There is an occasional air of superiority from their fan base simply because he incorporates Rachmaninov-esque interludes into his music.

He's from Devon and his voice his highly affected via his accent, not to mention the fact his early vocals are very much in the same veign as Thom Yorke's vocal performances for Radiohead. It's just a style. And yeah, while his piano playing is obviously very inspired by the likes of Rachmaninov I can't really hold it against him - especially as your beef seems to be more with the fan base than the band itself. Look at Yoshiki's piano playing, his "solo's" are actually very limited, he uses the same flourishes again and again and again. He's a very monotone pianist, I'd say even more so than Bellamy.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: September 22, 2009, 09:31:22 PM
Something you may all appreciate :p

As you may or may not know, Muse hate to mime. So when Italian TV bosses told them they had to mime on live TV, the members decided to have a little bit of fun - and managed to trick the entire studio, including the TV host.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3T2sOOtNlw

shane140

Reply #26 on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:31 PM
Something you may all appreciate :p

As you may or may not know, Muse hate to mime. So when Italian TV bosses told them they had to mime on live TV, the members decided to have a little bit of fun - and managed to trick the entire studio, including the TV host.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3T2sOOtNlw
ahahahahahahaXD Brilliant!