nayef212 · 12059

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #30 on: July 07, 2007, 12:49:45 PM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"
"but its Yoshiki!! he's from Japan and he couldnt ever be anything other than perfect! No-one will ever be better because he's Japanese!!"

Sorry, I had to. I wonder if anyone will respond with anything like that :P
What if I'd say another Japanese drummer is better :shock:

:P

This is my administrator color.

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: July 08, 2007, 08:27:33 PM
Quote from: BizKiTRoAcH
Quote from: "Azak"

Whether he wrote it all or not, a fair amount of the solo is just him hitting the piano. There is no melody to it and it sounds crap (IMO obviously). But he gets away with it because its "art".

Anyway, this is about the drumming, not piano. I'll shut up now.

lol

i get you still BizKiTRoAcH, i really do. But you see if you're gonna view Yoshiki's drum as an ordinary drummer. You wont be able to feel his music.

Becuz Yoshiki isnt ordinary ;)

I view Joey's drumming skills as a professional drummer who is good at making catchy rhythm. Because thats what it is and it is very obvious. And he does add a little art by what he wears, including the mask and playing it upside down which is pretty cool  8)

But yea. There is no limit in art and there are no rules in art. And like I said in the topic I made. You cant view Yoshiki's drumming just like you view any other professinal drummers out there. Becuz on Yoshiki's perspective it is just totally different.

Its like every hit he makes on the toms and snare or crash, there are visuals coming out of it.

Its hard to explain lol

url=http://www.last.fm/user/SuYen/?chartstyle=listen] [/url]

Offline Keppikeksi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 09:47:02 PM
Quote from: "Cruor"

i get you still BizKiTRoAcH, i really do. But you see if you're gonna view Yoshiki's drum as an ordinary drummer. You wont be able to feel his music.

Becuz Yoshiki isnt ordinary ;)

I view Joey's drumming skills as a professional drummer who is good at making catchy rhythm. Because thats what it is and it is very obvious. And he does add a little art by what he wears, including the mask and playing it upside down which is pretty cool  8)

But yea. There is no limit in art and there are no rules in art. And like I said in the topic I made. You cant view Yoshiki's drumming just like you view any other professinal drummers out there. Becuz on Yoshiki's perspective it is just totally different.

Its like every hit he makes on the toms and snare or crash, there are visuals coming out of it.

Its hard to explain lol

... WTF? Yoshiki is a drummer like me, Crows In Black, Joey Jordison, Dave Weckl, Jukka Nevalainen, Mike Mangini, Buddy Rich or Animal of The Muppets. He can be compared as drummer just like everyone else out there. I really don't understand this "it's art maaaaaan and I like it so it's good"- talk... Like Crows In Black already said, Yoshiki is very repetitive (though I cannot play all of his patterns myself) and the term "art" doesn't change that. I understand the main point: Yoshiki makes those absolutely fantastic songs in which he plays piano and drums. But his position as a composer or a pianist doesn't make his DRUMMING any better does it? If it does, please tell me how. I would really like to know that.

I guess I should start a career as camera man so I'd get more angles into my playing...

'm at my wits end

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: July 16, 2007, 07:26:31 AM
well you didnt get the point actually but yea w.e

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: July 16, 2007, 06:58:38 PM
Does anyone have a video of a Yoshiki Drum Solo in his early X years before he got injured and stuff?

And enough with the debating Yoshiki vs. Joey, lets just all agree that Billy Cobham is an amazing drummer.

: Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it?
A: Yes, because the pile of bodies would break my fall.

Offline Keppikeksi

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: July 22, 2007, 03:17:56 PM
Quote from: "NinjaGeek"

And enough with the debating Yoshiki vs. Joey, lets just all agree that Billy Cobham is an amazing drummer.

This is a CONVERSATION. At least I'm not trying to argue about this matter, I'm only asking questions and giving my own opinions here. [OFFTOPIC Cobham is an amazing drummer]

Really I'm curious about why is Yoshiki so special as a DRUMMER. Him being a composer, professional pianist, the poet behind X's lyrics and stuff doesn't affect his position as a drummer - at least I don't see why those things would affect it.

It's true that drummers have totally different perspectives, but is that a reason of sort for us not to compare them? Yoshiki's perspective differs from Joey's as well as their's differ from other drummers' perspectives. But technique has nothing to do with perspectives, art, etc. And didn't Hurley mention a few pages back that we're talking about the "technical superiority" here? And yes, I'm familiar that comparing people is stupid at times, but it was the main point of this topic.

Joey makes catchy drum patterns has Cruor said. He's quite fast also. Yoshiki grooves like a drunken moose on a freeway with a saxophone. He also repeats the same patterns in different songs, but then again... why fix something if it's not broken?

"Its like every hit he makes on the toms and snare or crash, there are visuals coming out of it. "

Visual facts don't affect the techical superiority, do they? And I guess that's your personal opinion about his playing = has nothing to do with technical superiority. I admit, Yoshiki's playing looks cool and I like to watch him bashing the hell out of his Tama kit. Yoshiki is one of my personal drumming icons, but I wouldn't never say him being the best drummer in the world. Since he isn't - and "the best drummer" doesn't even exist.

Joey isn't a master of technique either. There are lots of drummer who are better than him. Some people have more groove, some have bigger egos and the rest have something. But those depend on personal opinions and not facts like technique.

well you didnt get the point actually but yea w.e

Please tell what the main point was then?

Some people like chocolate and some prefer chewing gum.

IMO the best drummer alive is Nightwish's Jukka Nevalainen. But I'm not talking about technics here. It's only my personal opinion. Many are more skilled than him but I like his playing the best.

People tend to give halos on people they worship. But that halo doesn't change facts which all of us can see if we are open-minded. It only makes us blind and I don't know about you people - but I prefer seeing where I'm walking.

All in all, technique = a better drummer? Yes and no. It may show us who is a better drummer but that doesn't mean that person would be a better MUSICIAN.

'm at my wits end

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: July 29, 2007, 08:07:58 AM
Honestly my English is really bad.

Therefore I cannot explain very well.

And its okay to have your own views. Im just trying to open some of the viewers out there who arent seeing what others can, you know what i mean?

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: July 29, 2007, 11:46:12 AM
Really, don't mix the whole art stuff into the conversation when the conversation is about technical ability. Technical ability is comparable, art is very abstract or whatever, different in everyones own mind. You may see some art in Yoshiki's playing, but that's not making him technically any better, that's just some element that fascinates you, or everyone in their own way.

Mod color o' mine