X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

RUMOR: Last Live played against X Japan's will?

Hollywood · 8253

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
on: June 30, 2008, 06:58:50 PM
On this thread, it was said:
Quote from: Hollywood
Do you have a source for this? Just curious, since you've worded it as a fact rather than a theory.
Lucs said this is off-topic for that thread (actually I agree) and to discuss it in the Last Live subforum, so, here we are. :)

I'm really curious about this statement that X Japan played the Last Live against their will.  (I figured to be on the safe side I'd put "RUMOR" in the topic until it's proven, but once it is, I'm sure we can safely take the rumor part out.)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2008, 02:16:01 PM by Maverick »

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008, 07:04:53 PM
Well I have no proof for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if the band wasn't that happy to play again after Toshi left the band. Yoshiki seemed to be angry at Toshi (didn't he say something like, he wanted to punch him on stage?). Perhaps they had contracts for another Liveconcert at the Dome and that's why they played the show? Or the management wanted one farewell concert to grab some money, maybe they had ways to 'force' the band to participate.
But all what I said are just my thoughts, no proof for anything  :lol:

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008, 07:07:34 PM
I tihnk this discussion has been up before regarding The Last Song, which was apparently composed and produced against their will, just so they would release something before disbanding.
I tihnk the Last Live was mentioned on the same topic but I can't remember where it was held. Albums/singles subforum?

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008, 07:09:18 PM
Well, no proof either, but I know that sometimes management can do stuffs like that.

For example, Guns N'Roses released a Greatest Hits album in 2004 even though every member of the band (old and new) were against this album. They had a contract, they couldn't do anything against it.

So I guess same things can happen with concerts. Again, I'm not saying that happened with X Japan as I have no idea about that. But it might be possible.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 05:41:52 PM
You guys make a good point about management and contracts, that's definitely a possibility (and, I think, a possible reason for the endless stream of "best of" albums as well-- like the GNR situation, as Lucs said).

Also, a friend PMed me this (thanks!):
K: You had a definite plan at that time. So didn't you have a plan to do the last concert?

Y: No, I absolutely didn't want to do the last concert. And I never wanted to play with Toshi on the same stage... in another word, I thought I couldn't play with him. I told hide that we couldn't do the last concert. Then hide said, "We should do", "But it is not a real breakup", "It sure is not... but...", " We should draw the line", then I said "Let's play our songs only on the instrument without a vocalist. We would ask fans to sing songs instead of Toshi."

http://www.xradicaldreamers.net/xjapan/iv_uvbreak.htm

Naturally it's a translation so it might not be perfect, etc.  But it seems from this version of things that hide DID want to have a last concert, even though Yoshiki initially didn't (which is understandable considering the Toshi thing).  Anyway, just thought that was interesting.  Of course label/contract issues are still possible too.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline aaroni

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 10:47:13 PM
I'd be shocked if they were'nt legally forced into performing the show. They didn't announce the break up until September, so it's highly likely the contracts for the New Year's show were already signed. I imagine something like that would have to be done quite a few months in advanced, maybe even nearly a year before the scheduled date of the show, and if that isn't a mistranslation, wow, would have been quite strange to see The Last Live be an entriely instrumental set. Really shows how hurt Yoshiki was, and makes that hug he shared with Toshi that night all the more powerful.

Finally reading confirmation Yoshiki planned to revive X in 2000 was quite a surprise too. I always thought that was just a rumour. What could have been.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 12:02:05 AM
From every interview I have read Yoshiki has said he was unsure about any of the final plans, either the last live or the last song, but chose to persue them only for the fans and on the say so of the other members (mainly hide).

If Yoshiki was speaking with complete and 100% honesty however is another matter - there is a big difference between "official information" and the objective truth.

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 01:16:35 AM
did they do any rehearsal before the last live? and i remember, therre is one more live before last live, and its one week before? if i m not mistaken they playshot version of forever love (around 5 minutes) and kurenai. its 1997-12-26 and in music station .  X Japan also do that live againts their will? and one more live, live after the last live, X performed forever love in nhk after tll.

yes, probably contract and management, they should did all that live after toshi left the band

Ex denxdenx

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 01:31:15 AM
Quote from: "denxdenx"
if i m not mistaken they playshot version of forever love (around 5 minutes) and kurenai. its 1997-12-26 and in music station .  X Japan also do that live againts their will?

Watch TOSHI, especially during Kurenai. He didn't seem comfortable to be on stage.

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 04:09:25 AM
Quote from: "myuu"
Quote from: "denxdenx"
if i m not mistaken they playshot version of forever love (around 5 minutes) and kurenai. its 1997-12-26 and in music station .  X Japan also do that live againts their will?

Watch TOSHI, especially during Kurenai. He didn't seem comfortable to be on stage.

i just watched it again, he didnt move much, yeah i just realized, he is so quiet. everyday else seems enjoy more, but he still singing to keep being pro. :(

Ex denxdenx

Offline Kim Kyung Ho

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 10:43:15 AM
It could very well be possible. It may also be one of the reasons that the tracklisting was practically the same as the 'Dahlia Final Performance'.

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 08:36:22 PM
I have also heard this rumor and I think there is something to it.

Offline Overdose

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 06:11:27 PM
The Last Song thing does seem like it has truth to it but the way you see the band playing at Last Live I don't believe that show was against their will.  Didn't they play another live show after Last Live in japan, I think that was the one that was forced on them if i remember Toshi's voice was really hoarse when he sang forever love (it was really sad how that was like the last time they ever played it back then, the brilliant performance, the hug and the tears at Last Live should have been remembered as the last time.

I personally don't think the show was forced on them, they must have wanted to sign off and say good bye to the fans rather than abruptly split up.  The Last Song on the other hand I could see why that may have been forced upon them or maybe the others didnt want to do it when yoshiki composed it, I don't know.

Teemeah

Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 11:32:35 AM
Now that Toshi's autobio is out, we know that he was really uncomfortable on stage but not because of being forced to the the live but because of the cult watching the perforance. I guess it must have been hard on all of them, and especially Yoshiki, to lose a friend he had cherished since kindergarten, only to stand on stage again with him a few months later. And in the autobio he says that in the group talk when he announced his decison to all the members, he told them that rock music cannot save lives. I can only guess how hurtful this could have been to Yoshiki - the one person who was surely saved from suicide by rock music. It could have felt like a knife stab into his heart - by his oldest friend... Watching the last live, he has so much anger in his movements, the way he smashes his kit. I don't think any of them were happy to that show, and if they did, they only did it for the fans. Must have been really awkward to walk around Toshi that day...

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #14 on: April 15, 2017, 11:24:22 PM
Looking back at the last live from now, after knowing Toshis side as well, I actually don't want to watch it anymore at all. >_< I don't want to go into detail on what I think about Yoshiki's role in all of this, but something else:

...the number of (re)releases of last live videos and songs recoded then is super high. I always thought that was weird but maybe Yoshiki is just a masochist and enjoys spending time working with that material again and again... ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 08:05:11 PM by AsukaMiyu »

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #15 on: April 16, 2017, 12:16:28 AM

positively unsure。

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #16 on: April 16, 2017, 08:56:41 PM
Now that Toshi's autobio is out, we know that he was really uncomfortable on stage but not because of being forced to the the live but because of the cult watching the perforance. I guess it must have been hard on all of them, and especially Yoshiki, to lose a friend he had cherished since kindergarten, only to stand on stage again with him a few months later. And in the autobio he says that in the group talk when he announced his decison to all the members, he told them that rock music cannot save lives. I can only guess how hurtful this could have been to Yoshiki - the one person who was surely saved from suicide by rock music. It could have felt like a knife stab into his heart - by his oldest friend... Watching the last live, he has so much anger in his movements, the way he smashes his kit. I don't think any of them were happy to that show, and if they did, they only did it for the fans. Must have been really awkward to walk around Toshi that day...
Well if I remember correctly hide was the one who said that they should play one last show for the fans. And if you watch it and look at the audience faces you realize that the fans really needed this to say goodbye. It must have been a pain in the ass for Toshi, Yoshiki and pretty much everyone involved, but still amazing that they did this for their fans. It would've been the last possibility for the fans to see X live who always wanted to actuelly see them live. So even if it was forced I still think it's a good thing they played the Last Live.

While I'm away, read this line again...