• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

The Drum Break

Sander · 14992

Offline X-J

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 06:50:21 AM
Quote from: "Hypno"
Is it "fake" (planned previously) or "real" (happed becouse of Yoshiki's emotions)?

I think it both; Yoshiki makes a strong case for genuinely living his music when we consider that he's got damaged wrists and damaged neck (as well as hurting his hands in the process in LL, as you can see clearly blood seeping through the bandages when he returns to the piano). I don't think many would permanently hurt themselves just for the money, i.e. without assimilating that "lifestyle" into your identity.

Then again, similar events had occurred before, e.g. "On the Verge of Destruction" concert from 1992 displays Yoshiki crawling on the floor as Bach plays in the background at the end of drum solo.

So, I think it was not "fake" but a convention of expression, and therefore both "calculated" and "real".

Only what is in motion can rest."
-Martin Heidegger

Offline Amethyst_Dahlia

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart!
Reply #31 on: December 31, 2007, 10:44:57 PM
I was actually watching the Last Live again today, and I noticed that Yoshiki doesn't have his neck brace on when he destroys the drum kit after "Dahlia". o.o So that points towards the possibility that it could have happened spontaneously.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #32 on: January 01, 2008, 11:48:19 AM
Umm... Actually, all drum breaks seemed to be more or less "fake" (well, I guess that word is a bit too much?) But the nce from the Last Live, that one seemed completly read to me x_x
I have now idea why Yoshiki was mad, but watching him distroying his drum set there, unkile all at all other concerts, he really scared me... o_o

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Tsubaa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 08:42:30 PM
I've been watching the Last Live DVD just now and I analyzed a bit of what was going on during the song Dahlia, before Yoshiki starts breaking the drums.

It is my belief that just after the guitar solo in that song, when Toshi starts singing again and all the band but Yoshiki is silent for a bit, Yoshiki makes a mistake in the drum fill break and ends up exactly 1/8th note too early in the next measure of the song. You can hear this if you keep counting the beat while this is going on and noticing that it doesn't add up.

This is a problem in this particular case because the orchestra track came from tape on this song and now Yoshiki is playing 1/8th note off beat, or the orchestra sounds come too late. Yoshiki now has no chance to correct the mistake because that would mean slowing the song down or stopping it. He has to keep drumming and sit out the last verse and chorus until the slow bit comes up until the song corrects itself. I think Yoshiki was pissed off about this and this happened to be the same time Toshi was standing next to Yoshiki and wanting his attention. Simple as that.

Proof to confirm my theory comes when the slow bit does come and Toshi has to stop singing again for a bit because he has to correct again for the re-adding of the 1/8th note.

I hope this doesn't sound too musical, and that you guys can check it out!

Offline UVER

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 11:14:50 PM
Oh, never heard that. :o at what time mm:ss exactly ?

Offline Tsubaa

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: November 20, 2008, 07:18:10 AM
Oh, never heard that. :o at what time mm:ss exactly ?
If you look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y02pdNe9unQ

At 4:45 misses the 1/8th note going into the next instrumental bit.

He had to continue playing until 6:00 to the soft bit before the mistake is corrected by itself, cause there he doesn't have to drum anymore. Toshi stops singing at 6:01 (for the second time) in order to correct it as well, probably because Toshi hadn't noticed. Yoshiki was probably the only one that noticed as he has to play with a click track to keep beat with the recorded orchestra track.

Offline Overdose

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #36 on: November 21, 2008, 06:06:22 PM
It isnt really that noticable, I never noticed that before, I think he must drum fast or slower briefly to get his rhythm back.

Teemeah

Reply #37 on: April 13, 2017, 11:42:24 AM
It was likely planned (I don't think he would break his kit purely because he made a mistake... even if he is a perfectionist). But he put real emotions in it, I think. He could release his anger. and the "smile" that people refer to, i think it is more like a grimace...