X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

What music did Yoshiki listen to growing up/influences?

Guest · 7039

ben

Since Yoshiki is pretty much the musical director of X Japan, I was wondering if anyone knew what bands he grew up listening to, or if he's ever claimed any specific bands as influences?

Maybe this information is out there in any number of Japanese interviews but due to the language barrier I've missed it. Thanks.

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:04 AM
Quote from: "ben"
Since Yoshiki is pretty much the musical director of X Japan, I was wondering if anyone knew what bands he grew up listening to, or if he's ever claimed any specific bands as influences?

Maybe this information is out there in any number of Japanese interviews but due to the language barrier I've missed it. Thanks.

I know he and hide both were huge KISS fans and they're a big influence. I also know that while he may not have grown up listening to it, Yoshiki is a bit of a classical music fan (he mentions playing Bach on his Myspace, and in lives, "Ode To Joy" is often played along with "Orgasm")

Offline Amethyst_Dahlia

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart!
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 02:35:55 AM
He also mentioned in a JaME interview that he likes Radiohead. =D However, other than KISS, I'm not sure if he has any influences per say, though if he does, I'd like to know who they are, too. ^^

To further prove the classical music thing, there's the "Yoshiki Selection" CDs. ^^ And he's been playing piano since age 4, so I imagine he probably did grow up listening to at least some classical music. o.o

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 02:41:05 AM
Quote from: "Amethyst_Dahlia"
He also mentioned in a JaME interview that he likes Radiohead. =D However, other than KISS, I'm not sure if he has any influences per say, though if he does, I'd like to know who they are, too. ^^

To further prove the classical music thing, there's the "Yoshiki Selection" CDs. ^^ And he's been playing piano since age 4, so I imagine he probably did grow up listening to at least some classical music. o.o

o.o I'm not saying he didn't. I just meant to say I wasn't sure whether his interest started early or developed later as he worked toward the more "sophisticated and refined" image.

Offline Amethyst_Dahlia

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart!
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 02:47:56 AM
I wasn't trying to argue what you said. XD" I was just supporting it. o.o Sorry if it came out the wrong way. ^^"

ben

Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 06:20:18 AM
Thanks for your input.
I know he's undoubtedly a classical music fan and alot of X Japan's music, even the earlier thrash/hard rock material translates well orchestrated, for that reason..

But I'm interested for what he's into in terms of hard rock / metal / punk bands. There's got to be more stuff he listens to, or at least listened to; "Stab me in the back" couldn't have come from the piano..

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:31 AM
I'm pretty sure he was/is a Bauhaus fan, or he just used to wear that bandshirt because he thought it was cool  :P

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:50:49 AM
Quote from: "ferret"
I'm pretty sure he was/is a Bauhaus fan, or he just used to wear that bandshirt because he thought it was cool  :P

Atsushi Sakurai was/is also Bauhaus fan.

SarahAlex - the devil's advocate

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008, 08:53:35 AM
This is offtopic talk, woman  :x

I know ;P

RIP

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008, 08:59:39 AM
Sorry, ferret.  :oops:  :(

I wrote it for you. :twisted:

SarahAlex - the devil's advocate

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008, 01:34:35 PM
He also mentioned being a fan of Sergei Rachmaninoff somewhere. He uses Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (Op. 18) - Moderato in his drum solos.

Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZRbko3UsnQ[/youtube]
Watch from ~00:38

Yoshiki Drum Solo from The Last Live
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z22nSEgrAQI[/youtube]
From 01:36

This is my administrator color.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: "Hypno"
He uses Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2 (Op. 18) - Moderato in his drum solos.

It's awesome! Thanks for pointing that out. Now I don't understand how I never noticed before....

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 02:51:29 PM

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 24, 2008, 02:58:03 PM
Ohhh, how did I miss that thread?

:roll:

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 24, 2008, 05:04:57 PM
There is a compilation CD of classical music that's called Yoshiki Selection or something like that.
There are some amazing pieces in there, including one in the drum solos and the fugue by Bach that inspired Rose of Pain. Check it out, yo.

ben

Reply #15 on: June 24, 2008, 11:54:46 PM
Thanks alot for your replies guys. I listen to alot of different music so sure I'll check out some of those classical artists mentioned as well.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 07:07:08 PM
Quote from: "ben"
But I'm interested for what he's into in terms of hard rock / metal / punk bands. There's got to be more stuff he listens to, or at least listened to; "Stab me in the back" couldn't have come from the piano..

Yeah, I'd be really interested in knowing this too.

Not very helpful, but: there's an episode in Taiji's book where (to make a long story short) he talks about Yoshiki buying a Beatles CD to play in the band's van during their indies days.  So I guess Yoshiki is (or was) into the Beatles, but that's not particularly interesting for a rock musician, since it's kind of like saying "I guess Yoshiki is into breathing".

And there must be something else, because it's hard to imagine that all that metal came out of classical + KISS + Bauhaus + Beatles.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 07:13:03 PM
I guess it's safe to assume that the bands they covered influenced X to some degree? T-Rex, Hanoi Rocks, Steppenwolf, etc.

RIP

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 07:33:50 PM
Yeah, good point.  I guess Loudness too in that case.  Probably fair to assume the Sex Pistols as well-- that cover at Extasy Summit, I forget if it was Anarchy in the UK or God Save the Queen (or both?).

But I'm thinking there must be some other, later punk or metal influences as well, even just to account for his double-bass drumming.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Maya

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 07:40:24 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
Probably fair to assume the Sex Pistols as well-- that cover at Extasy Summit, I forget if it was Anarchy in the UK or God Save the Queen (or both?).

Both, yeah.

On topic ... eh ... I dunno. I assume some 80's Metal bands. Must be so. XDD Can't think of some specific names atm though xD; aw.

Wild passion~

"C'mon Yoshiki, you can do this ... if you do it fast, maybe noone notices it's happening ..."
"Eeeek, he kissed me xD"

Offline YusamiUne

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 25, 2008, 07:48:41 PM
I can speak from personal experience that what an artist listens to or gains influence from, their music rarely sounds like it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Yoshiki listened to something extremely odd (to us at least). Such as Rob Zombie, if I remember right, is a big fan of the soft band sound from the 50s.

I do think that he was influenced by Zeppelin.

A Rose is breathing love
in my life"

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2008, 08:40:15 PM
Didn't they cover Iron Maiden once too?

Offline YusamiUne

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 08:45:14 PM
Jazz maybe, Hollywood? Double bass is heard in jazz a lot too.

A Rose is breathing love
in my life"

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 09:53:32 PM
Well, on X early days and pre-X bands (Dinamite and Noise) they did covers from some bands like:

Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Frank Marino (World Anthem was released on "Blue Blood", but apparently they had already covered it on Noise, in 82!)
Loudness
Iron Maiden
Sex Pistols

Since Yoshiki was always like, the "boss", I guess we can assume he at least likes these bands, or he wouldn't cover them...

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 10:23:00 PM
I have covered the Bee Gees and Sting & the Police, among others. That doesn't mean they are big influences to me... :)

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 02:37:40 AM
I am wondering if he liked Queen as well.  I know later on he did a song with Roger Taylor..

But... a few of their songs sound a bit like Kiss songs..lol

Kurenai - Black Diamond (which Yoshiki did a tribute on KISS my ass cd)

This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.

Offline jigokugal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 09:17:00 AM
I'd say lots of musicians and bands influence Yoshiki.

Particular classical musicians/ pianists/ composers whose songs were ever played by Yoshiki or integrated to his own music:
- Alive: Beethoven, Moonlight Sonata (intro part)
- Rose of Pain: Bach, Fugue in G minor
- AoL : Schubert, Symphony no 8, Unfinished
- drum solo: Sergei Rachmaninoff, op 18 c minor
- he played Turkish March (mozart) couple of times & Swan Lake (Tchaikovsky) and other classical pieces.

Look into Yoshiki Selection & Yoshiki Selection II, I'm sure those songs pretty much influence him.

jigokugal