• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Hide news coverage.

Beauty/Broken · 2322

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: May 24, 2008, 03:07:37 PM
I am constantly hearing rumours about various cases of overseas news coverage of hide's death and the funeral that followed. I have read a few of the transcribed news paper articles, but I think that it would be useful to have a topic where we can put all of the coverage together.

Here in the UK, the BBC covered the story online in two different articles. (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/despatches/88981.stm and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/88967.stm)

Back in 1998 the internet wasn't as prominant in terms of news coverage as it is now, so it's likely that there would have been a news blurb on Television at some point from which these online pages were transcribed from or linked to. As I wasn't even aware that hide even existed and wasn't really interested in watching the news at the time (I was 8) I can't confirm or deny this.

I have heard a rumour that CNN covered the story, but searching their news archives doesn't herald any results.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 05:08:58 PM
CNN did cover the story on TV, I remember seeing it.  Though I don't remember any specific details about it, since... well, that was 10 years ago. ;)

It seems that there must have been an Associated Press (AP) article, or Reuters, or something like that.  Maybe try searching their archives, if you haven't already?

Great idea for a thread by the way.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 07:31:45 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
CNN did cover the story on TV, I remember seeing it.  Though I don't remember any specific details about it, since... well, that was 10 years ago. ;)

It seems that there must have been an Associated Press (AP) article, or Reuters, or something like that.  Maybe try searching their archives, if you haven't already?

Great idea for a thread by the way.

Awesome, thanks for confirming that for me :)

I checked AP and Reuters without result. I have checked with a few other international news stations also, but they seem to share their search facilities with each other and not all of them have archives which stretch back 10 years.

A friend of mine was telling me about his experience when the news actually broke in Japan in an afternoon bulletin. Apparently the details were extremely vague in that they only said that "A member of X Japan has died". It wasn't until later that the news stations were able to confirm the identity of the person who had died, he said that he didn't actually find out which member it was until May 3rd.