• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

hide's lyrics

Matilda in Oz · 4838

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: May 15, 2008, 01:37:06 PM
I wasn't sure what to call this thread (feel free to change it) but something happened to me today and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. I was listening to hide's Honey Blade on youtube and read the comments. Most of them are gushing and saying things like it's the best song ever, so beautiful and they wish they knew what it's about.

For a microsecond I was going to write the answer but stopped myself short. I just couldn't bring myself to it.

Even though the clip is from the Psychommunity reel and leaves plenty of clues in the background as to what it might be about it may be difficult to guess, but still. Why didn't I want to write the answer? And why don't the fans bother to google these things? It's not impossible to find out.

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:12:07 PM
Hmmmmm

well indeed they could find the lyrics easily.

But well I have to say that honey blade is indeed <3

PLUS i love the story.I mean you know,the script he had written

PARTY HARD

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 12:00:18 AM
Yeah, but one could read the lyrics and still not get it.

Offline xkurokei

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/xkurokei/
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 01:00:52 AM
Yeah I agree that you could easily find any info by just google it.
if they really wanted to know more they would just find it themselves right?  :?

Here comes hide!

Psychedelic Violence X Crime of Visual Shock

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:09:01 AM
Well, no it's not exactly easy to find that kind of info, but not impossible. That's not really what I meant, though.

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 09:24:41 AM
The thing is that if you only look at the lyrics, it's easy to believe that he's singing about his girlfriend. And then I read this interview with him where he says clearly that it's about incest. It kind of changes the whole picture and makes it not just a tad creepy. I'll find the article if anyone's interested, or then again, perhaps everyone but me knew this already.

Offline Sirimono

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:15:16 PM
Well I read the story long before I actually listened to the song and my friend told me that the story and the song are connected. So I basically knew what the song is about before I listened to it.

Now listening to it AND knowing the meaning made the song so endless beautiful for me. It's one of the few hide songs I actually cared for the lyrics...

I like the few double meanings that could be in honey blade... for example if you don't listen closely some lines become "make me horny babe" etc.
Maybe it wasn't his attention but I still like it.

Sadly the song doesn't leave so much room for interpretation. Oh well the song does, but not if you know the story. Anyway the song is so closely connected to the story that you should read both ^^;

And I really love the reel the psychommunity performance. Even though he knocks over his micstand :3

well i kinda didn't understand if this topic is about hide's lyrics in general, or about people not caring to look up lyrics... or about honey blade XD

„All images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 02:10:47 PM
Quote from: "Sirimono"
Sadly the song doesn't leave so much room for interpretation. Oh well the song does, but not if you know the story. Anyway the song is so closely connected to the story that you should read both ^^;

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Yeah, I should have called the topic Honey Blade meaning or something, but I don't know how to change it now...

Anyway, yes, I have read the story, about the blue dress and the gun shot and all that. It's a pretty melody, the story is beautifully written and the lyrics are well written too, but what I really don't understand is how young women in particular can say that it's such a beautiful and meaningful song. It's such a contradiction, because the reality of such a relationship is never romantic, at least not from the girl's point of view. It's horrendous! All the women I know who have experienced this are scarred for life and struggle to have a normal life. That's why I wanted to bring it up, because it just doesn't make sense to me how girls can like this song.

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:21:41 PM
hide himself has said that the song and the story is connected.I remember reading an interview in which he was saying he had watched a movie about incest and it inspired him to write about a forbidden love or something

PARTY HARD

Offline Sirimono

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 02:47:30 PM
Quote from: "Matilda in Oz"

Anyway, yes, I have read the story, about the blue dress and the gun shot and all that. It's a pretty melody, the story is beautifully written and the lyrics are well written too, but what I really don't understand is how young women in particular can say that it's such a beautiful and meaningful song. It's such a contradiction, because the reality of such a relationship is never romantic, at least not from the girl's point of view. It's horrendous! All the women I know who have experienced this are scarred for life and struggle to have a normal life. That's why I wanted to bring it up, because it just doesn't make sense to me how girls can like this song.

Well for me one important thing about the song and story is that the father cannot have her and that it's killing him.
I don't know what other girls feel about it, but i'm actually pretty interested in incest-relationships and why/how/when it happens and especially how the people feel when they don't actually take action, because they still have the feeling that it's wrong. Yes, many women are scarred for their whole life after getting raped by their father, but this story is basically not about a girl getting raped by her father (in my opinion), but it's much more about the father's feelings than about the actual incest.

Maybe it's just my interpretation, but I didn't really see him taking action, but just a display of his feelings of disappointment, desire and desperation (uh alliteration anyone?).
I don't think the song nor the story actually explains if he is raping her or not, but she seems to be to have a happy and normal life when she gets married.
I might just not remember it right, but I think he kills himself out of desperation because she will never love him back.

In my opinion, incest in this case is not only about sex between related people, but much more about a love that shouldn't be returned and how much it kills a person to know it shouldn't, but wanting so badly that it is anyway.
It is so much about impossibility and desire... I think it's a wonderful story, to sum up so many complex feelings.

Actually just like there are fathers raping their daughters, there are incesty relationships that actually work out. I don't want to say that it's good, but I don't think everything about incest can be taken down to be about destroying raping, that will leave a person scarred forever.

sorry for the rant... I hope you get what i mean

summed up: I don't see in honey blade a pervert father raping his daughter, but the complexity of feelings of a person who will never get what he desires and knows how wrong his feelings are.

„All images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 03:11:31 PM
but what I really don't understand is how young women in particular can say that it's such a beautiful and meaningful song. It's such a contradiction, because the reality of such a relationship is never romantic, at least not from the girl's point of view. It's horrendous! All the women I know who have experienced this are scarred for life and struggle to have a normal life. That's why I wanted to bring it up, because it just doesn't make sense to me how girls can like this song.

Why not?
Just because incest in SOME CASES is unwilling from one side and terrible abuse from the other, does that mean one can not be fascinated by the phenomenon?
Does that mean that the other cases where it's actually about love and it is returned, are sick and horrendous as well? I think this is a far more common occurrance than what the public mass believes.

Since the daughter in the story seemed to have no hard feelings towards her dad, especially as he even was invited to her wedding, it seems to me that the father had not taken any actions regarding his desire for her.
He cannot help how he feels, and it even drags him to the point of suicide because he does not want to force it on her. I think that is rather beautiful in a way.

Even horrible things can be portrayed beautifully in art or lyrics, and even though the subject is horrible it doesn't mean it's not meaningful. Choose your words better.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 06:05:46 PM
It's a pretty melody, the story is beautifully written and the lyrics are well written too, but what I really don't understand is how young women in particular can say that it's such a beautiful and meaningful song. It's such a contradiction, because the reality of such a relationship is never romantic, at least not from the girl's point of view. It's horrendous! All the women I know who have experienced this are scarred for life and struggle to have a normal life. That's why I wanted to bring it up, because it just doesn't make sense to me how girls can like this song.

Well, I don't think the song is promoting incest or incestuous rape; I agree that most incest doesn't usually turn out well, and it doesn't in the song either.  (Though my personal feeling on the matter is: so long as everyone involved is a consenting adult, I think people should be free to love and/or have sex with whoever they want.  Of course, rape is terrible-- no matter if it's incestuous or not-- but if both relatives WANT to get it on with each other...)

Anyway, I think there are a lot of fangirls-- and this isn't just hide fans, but fans of other "extreme" lyricists too: Yoshiki, Dir en grey, etc.-- who are automatically going to say "omg that's so beautiful and meaningful!!" even if the singer is saying "I'm going to chop you up and throw you in an alley". :lol:

But I also don't think it's fair to dismiss any young woman who finds beauty or meaning in a "taboo" song as being one of those blind-love fangirls.  Siri and Millie bring up some really good points, and just because a subject is taboo/difficult/uncomfortable/gross doesn't mean someone can't enjoy a song about it.  In fact I think a lot of people like these kinds of songs BECAUSE of this rather than in spite of it.  Some people like to be challenged and have their boundaries pushed a little, or to see life from a new and "strange" perspective for the 5 minute duration of the song.  I think artists like X and hide give people a safe venue for exploring ideas like this-- stuff from the darker side of life, which is not necessarily (and in fact usually isn't) anything the listener would actually want to try in real life.

For example, I think Blue Blood is a kickass song, but in real life I have no interest whatsoever in "re-enacting" the lyrics.  I have absolutely zero interest in ACTUALLY slicing my face and having it covered in blue blood :P-- but I appreciate the drama and "wildness" of hearing those words or shouting along with them.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 09:43:04 PM
OK, call me stupid concerning the google thing, but...
:shock: May I ask, what story you're all actually talking about? Sorry, I really didn't find anything but the usual lyrics (am I blind?).

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 09:49:54 PM
Quote from: "VioletCamicat"
:shock: May I ask, what story you're all actually talking about? Sorry, I really didn't find anything but the usual lyrics (am I blind?).

Can be found here
http://tinpan.fortunecity.com/verve/114/honey.htm

oh right, the point of view changes somewhere in the middle of it. It's not very clear, but now you know.

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 09:51:40 PM
Quote from: "VioletCamicat"

I vaguely remember the story existing, but it's been years since I've read it, honestly. :P

Incidentally... honey blade = what I think it means, yeah?  I mean, all incest aside, I thought the song was about a guy basically saying goodbye to his penis (which has clearly gotten him into some trouble) before commiting suicide after a failed relationship.  And I thought that was pretty original.

EDITED TO ADD: Ah, thanks Millie!

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 10:22:57 PM
Wow, thank you very much! :shock: I didn't know about this before... really weird!

I wonder, if her mother really only disappeared or of she was suddenly too old for him and he did something to make her disappear - to not watch her wither... uhum... :shock:

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline Matilda in Oz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 06:57:18 AM
OMG!  :shock:

And I thought I was shocked by the story and the song, but I think I'm more shocked by some of the responses here! *Lol