• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Non-fans reaction to X?

Valentine · 14324

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: December 09, 2006, 08:35:37 PM
This should be a mostly fun thread, where we could compare what the reaction of people that aren't fans of X was like when they were introduced to X.... as I introduce X to a lot of people or try to, I wanted to compare experiences ;]

A friend, who I share the desk at school with>> What are you drawing?
(me> drawing on the desk "X-Japan, Aerosmith, KISS")
me> Names of my favourite bands.
friend> Ah okay. What are they?
me> They're like.... this one [pointing at Aerosmith] is a rock band and the other ones are perfect metal bands.
friend> I don't like metal.
me> [pointing at X] hey but they have nice ballads.
friend> hmmm... Might give it a try.

later [me, reading printed INA's blog] friend [the same friend]> What are you reading?
me [explaining in short history of X and their projects with other bands and that it's complicated]
friend> Uuuh. That original band, it's the one you were talking to me about the previous time?
me> Yeah, that's them. They're called X Japan but nobody really calls them that, they are just X.
friend> X huh?
me> Yeah. Check them out, really.
friend> So you say they're Japanese?
me> Yeah but they rule. Really, the language ain't no problem for understanding them.

Later, friend comes into the class and the other hour, she mentions>
friend> So I listened to some of the X stuff.
me [trying to look not as excited as I feel]> Yeah?
friend> It was called... I don't know... Forever Love.
me> And what did you think about it?
friend> I thought they are never going to start singing. It was so long instrumental.
me [thinking] What would you say about Art of Life, then.
me> Hmh?
friend> But the guy started singing later and he has a really nice voice.
me> Yeah, Toshi has. Pretty high, me thinks.
friend> Yea, I liked it.
me> Well... the composer of that song had had an education since childhood in classical music, so maybe that's why the beginning of the song was like that.
friend> It shows.
me> So you listened to something more, yet?
friend> Well, I didn't like Japanese. Makes hard to understand.
friend [shows how it sounded to her--- her performance was more so of like, Mandarin in sounds. Why does almost everybody I meet that has no background in Japanese think that it sounds like Chinese? *puzzled*]
me [laughs]
friend> I looked at some of their pics, some German site.
me [knows which site she means]> And what were your thoughts?
friend> They are crazy, hair to the sky. And there was a red haired guy which looked as crazy.
me> Yea, hide. But they aren't really crazy XD
friend> But they look like that.
me> *laughs again* Well, they founded whole style.
friend> Yes I said they are crazy.

I might try let her know Violet UK stuff instead, that's in ENGLISH XD  But I wonder she has some problems with the instrumentality overall. Really amused me, thought to share. Feel free to flame me or add histoires of your own.

'll save you from yourself. Fly...

Offline Orkrist

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 08:57:07 PM
Oh well, there are none X fans in my school except those who I have forced to listen to it. =D And the most common comment for my hide shirt is "Is that guy boy or girl?" That seems to be very common when we're talking about Japanese musicians. Visual kei I mean.

When I send to my friend some X, we had afterwards at maths lesson a conversation like this (F=friend, M=me):

F: "Hey, I saw one video from Youtube and I think they looked pretty weird."
M: "Well, what happened on that video? What was it called?"
F: "Week end, I think. Err, there was some kind of emo girl who slit her wrists."
M: "His. He's man."
F: ".. Really?"
M: "Yep, that's Yoshiki. The leader. Plays drums and piano."
F: "Ooookay.. what's wrong with that vocalist?"
M: "Toshi? What do you mean?"
F: "Well, he had 1000-volts hair."
M: "... and?"
F: "I just thought if he had had some kind of electric shock.."
M: "... right. But did you like it?"
F: *thinks for a while* "I think I did. Though the guy who smashed mirrors with his guitar was pretty odd."
M: "Well, hide was some sort of psychedelic child."
F: "Was?"
M: "He's dead."
F: "Oh.. hey, was he the guy who hanged himself on his bathroom door?"
M: "Right guy."
F: "Okay.. I think it's pretty funny."
M: "What's funny?"
F: "That someone hangs himself on the bathroom door."
M: "Well, afterwards, I don't think it's funny at all."
F: *shrugs* "Whatever."

Like this in our school. :roll:

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 11:22:39 PM
Me: *listening to music*
Friend (random): ahh listening to that X Crap again?

:P

And yea they all confuse hide's gender :P

This is my administrator color.

Offline Orkrist

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 11:29:21 PM
^ Well, I don't wonder guessing hide's gender, but I laughed my head off when one of my friends asked Taiji's gender after seeing my wallpaper. :P And Taiji even doesn't look like very girly at all and he hasn't got shirt on, so..

Offline Romero

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/romerozombie
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 11:46:11 PM
Two people have asked me if hide is a guy or a girl lol.

URL=http://imageshack.us][/URL]

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 12:25:25 AM
my sister keeps asking me if i still listen to chinese music::and she knows,that its japanese,but she is just a bitch and she wants me to kill her D<::
a girl at school,when she saw me with an x t-shirt she was like:"ohh again with that chinese group!?"i mean she is so stupid!!it said x JAPAN after all XP
the truth is that i cant make people to like X Japan,but i dont care!i feel special!lol!actually,i never had a conversation about them with someone else from my city apart from my best friend who listens to x as well...but it really annoys me when ppl judge them before they listen to them,just because they sing in an other language apart from english!!!that sucks so bad.... >.<

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 12:47:18 AM
loooool :lol:
cool avatar btw! ^^'

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 01:00:09 AM
yeah Yoshiki is always better,ne?  :wink:

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 09:49:21 AM
Quote from: "Orkrist"
^ Well, I don't wonder guessing hide's gender, but I laughed my head off when one of my friends asked Taiji's gender after seeing my wallpaper. :P And Taiji even doesn't look like very girly at all and he hasn't got shirt on, so..

TAIJI? I mean, hide, alright, Yoshiki, alright, but what the heck is girly about TAIJI? This cracked me up, thanks for that! ;]

I also got>
me [writing a poem; was to be English haiku about drumming skills I wanted to post at Yoshiki's myspace later]
F [still the same girl; yeah, she has it bad to be sitting at the same desk as I do, because then she gets a lot of X related crap XD]> What are ye writing?
m> Ummmm.... a poem.
F> What's it about?
m> Well, it should be a tribute poem.
F> Tribute to whom?
m> Yoshiki.
F> To whom?
m> Yoshiki. He's a drummer for X-Japan and he's currently having new band for which he plays drums as well. I love his style.
F> Hmmmg. What did you write?
m [showing her]
F> I think it's too sweet, to write odes like this. He's a drummer and drummers are rough...
m> Well I think Yoshiki's pretty sensitive and sweet, not that rough.
F> But I still do think it's overtly sweet poem.
me [shrugs] Alright.

[.... the syllabes were still wrong so I'm not sending it, however, this was interesting conversation]

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 09:52:00 AM
Quote from: "Romero"
Two people have asked me if hide is a guy or a girl lol.

Did you tell them he was a girl? XD

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 10:02:37 AM
Quote from: "Hypno"
Me: *listening to music*
Friend (random): ahh listening to that X Crap again?

:P

And yea they all confuse hide's gender :P

Lol. I have this conversations with brother, he's like> What the hell is it playing here? [.... Was, Kurenai at the time, I think]
me> It's X.
bro> Ah those Chinese.
me> No, dammit. They're Japanese.
bro> It sucks so bad.
me> *threatening tone* Don't say THAT to me.
bro> Bad bad.
me> How can a band that's the world famous and sold out shows in places like Tokyo Dome suck so bad?
bro> What is Tokyo Dome?
me> You can guess it's in Tokyo. *gives up*
[while after]
me> [letting Endless Rain play] And what about this?
bro> It's a little better, but it still sucks.
me> Hmmh, and it's still the same band.

Father [looking in my room]> Vercha [my legal name's diminutive], please switch this crap off, they're not even singing, it sounds like vomiting!
me> Just because it's Japanese doesn't mean it's vomiting. Listen to the melody first, please...
Father> No way, it's vomiting.
Father [turning on some of his country music]
Me> *in a kidding tone* Dad? And you call my music vomit? What about this?
[.... I don't like country very much]

---
Wonder... What is this with calling music sounding like "vomiting"? I encountered it so often and not only in my language, where it could be sort of idiom.... *wonder wonder*

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 10:14:41 AM
lol,actually my parents never mentioned the fact that i listen to jmusic XDD...only my siblings are so idiots that they keep calling X Japan,a chinese group!!lol,i remember once,while i was listening to Rose of pain at the beginning where it has no vocals,only music,my brother was in the room and he asked me:"wow,who is singing that song?"
and i said:"ohh,the chinese group bro!!i thought you didnt like them!!"

and then he shut the f**k up
[sorry]
^^'

PanthereNoire

Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 10:26:44 AM
Well, in defense of some of the look confused non-fans, I have to say that when I got the first casual glance at an "Amethyst" promotion poster, I thought the pianist was a woman, too, and a breathtakingly damned beautiful one.  :twisted:

Then when I got a better look and saw it was Yoshiki, I was kind of peeved at him because he was turning ever more beautiful as a "girl" and I thought that was really so unfair: he's a guy; he has no right to look BETTER than any real life woman I know!!! (Or used to, then.)

BRAT Princess!

Actually, these days, when I send X songs to overseas friends, I don't mention any genders and just let them assume what they want until they ask. :)

Though I have to say my friends are more tolerant about listening to new things and more tolerant about looks and so on - but that could be because they are older and / or because I "preselect" to whom I am sending stuff.

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 10:31:31 AM
i remember the first time i saw him.....and i was like:"O.o who is that beautiful lady with the long hair and red nails?"
lol,when i realised it was a man,i was like:"O.O;;"

XD

PanthereNoire

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 10:36:40 AM
Actually, I have one picture of him, lieing on his side, in a black outfit even with his jacket open, but still the long hair and the necklaces and they still ask "wow, who is SHE?" :P

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 10:41:57 AM
lol,yeah i girl i know,couldnt believe he is a man,even when i showed her a picture where he is almost naked XP

PanthereNoire

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 10:45:55 AM
What pic did you show her?

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 10:49:04 AM
wait,i will show it to you ^^

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile

PanthereNoire

Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 11:02:26 AM
hehe, I remember that!

Want to see the one I meant, where they REALLY should be able to see he's a guy? :P

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: December 10, 2006, 11:03:46 AM
haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai XD

PanthereNoire

Reply #21 on: December 10, 2006, 11:13:16 AM
Here it is, then:

I REALLY can't see how anyone can take THAT for a woman. :P

PS: click image for larger view. ;)

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: December 10, 2006, 11:16:34 AM
O.O his shirt is open,how could anyone think that he is a woman??silly ppl!they dont want to believe it obviously!but i believe it...he is a man.my man <3

no,never!my man is hide XPPP

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: December 10, 2006, 11:20:37 AM
*stares at that photo of Yoshiki and PN's comment below*

Maybe they were looking at hair and a lipstick and nothing else? Lol.

Guys and gals, I'm gonna go back to this thread later, I think I already got more than a daily recommended dose of humour! Ja.

PanthereNoire

Reply #24 on: December 10, 2006, 11:29:39 AM
Well, I totally love this pic of him . . .

but I better not go into the reasons why on a public forum. :twisted:

Offline Orkrist

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 01:57:23 PM
Quote from: "Valentine"
TAIJI? I mean, hide, alright, Yoshiki, alright, but what the heck is girly about TAIJI? This cracked me up, thanks for that! ;]

That's what I'm wondering too. :P I have no idea how she can see anything girly in that picture (it's the one where Taiji is with his Harley-Davidson - one of my absolute favorites :)) nor in Taiji anyways. Oh well, but my friend likes hairy heavy metal guys who eat raw meat and have all other cliches like that. And when I said that _my_ ideal man would look like Taiji or hide or something like that, she stared me for a while and then said: "Okay, Saana, I should take you to the hospital. That X crap has made your head soft. You feel for Harley-freak cowboy bassist and crazy, dead psycho child. You're hopeless."

Well, I laughed pretty well after that. :P

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: December 10, 2006, 02:16:42 PM
I made my friend listen to Kurenai once. she got really impatient because I had told her it's a kick ass song and now she only heard that slow beginning. But when the fast part started she liked it.
Then I let her listen to Dice. She thought it was ok.

Oh and some weeks ago, when I had written Sadistic Desire and X on my pencilcase she said I was crazy so I had to point out that she is the crazier one with all the pics of Xena on hers  :mrgreen:

My parents try to ignore it or don't really mind my obsession with Japanese music and just give me an odd look from time to time  :roll:

RIP

Offline Valentine

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: December 10, 2006, 02:19:50 PM
Lol at least I don't admire hide, because I would otherwise be concidered necrophile as well XD

Oh we really are hopeless cases. I wonder, if we all come to hospital with the dx of being "X obsessed" [.... X freaks, but psychs usually give names like "obsession" or "psychosis" or "neurosis" to people, not usual short and easy things like "freak" ]....... if we come to ONE hospital, we would make it all the topsy curvy, can you imagine one hospital full of X fans? :D

[and of course, that's gotta be some hospital in Japan, because, well, we want some style in that, no?]

*i never said I had a normal sense of humour*
*walks away*

PanthereNoire

Reply #28 on: December 10, 2006, 02:20:01 PM
Actually, very very very early on, Taiji for a while DID look sometimes very female - there is a youtube clip on my blog in a post "Brat Princess plays Bach" where he does, and is beautiful, actually - though I agree that for most of the time, he looks more butch than bitch.

As for boyfriend types prefered, just tell you're friend everybody's different - her big hairy "he man" types I wouldn't date if they were the last guys left on earth. :P

PanthereNoire

Reply #29 on: December 10, 2006, 02:24:17 PM
Quote from: "Valentine"
Lol at least I don't admire hide, because I would otherwise be concidered necrophile as well XD

Oh we really are hopeless cases. I wonder, if we all come to hospital with the dx of being "X obsessed" [.... X freaks, but psychs usually give names like "obsession" or "psychosis" or "neurosis" to people, not usual short and easy things like "freak" ]....... if we come to ONE hospital, we would make it all the topsy curvy, can you imagine one hospital full of X fans? :D

[and of course, that's gotta be some hospital in Japan, because, well, we want some style in that, no?]

*i never said I had a normal sense of humour*
*walks away*

And would you by chance prefer the hospital close to Harajuku, so we could sneak out and go X stuff hunting on Takeshita Dori? :P

And anyhow, WE aren't insane - WE simply have seen genius and recognized it.

Not our fault if the rest can't. :P

And despite the flippant tone, I DO believe that X Japan has been genius and one of the two bands that will eventually be considered to be the most influential musical forces in the later 20iest century music, one in Asia, the other in Europe.