one of the others...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Offline iluvpinkspider

• Sunday Listener
  • do you bleed for the fantasy?
    • View Profile
Reply #90 on: October 26, 2009, 09:03:28 PM
i voted for hide. i play guitar, but before i discovered X, i hadn't practiced for a few months because i just wasn't into it, though i was kind of good. When i heard X and hide, he inspired me to pick up the guitar and play again. Also, he wasn't afraid to be himself, no matter what others think (that's hwat i've gotten from the interviews, anyway) and i'm the same way.

If you could have told me everything
You would have found what love is
For now I will try to live for you and for me
I will try to live with love, with dreams,
and forever with tears

RIP hide! December 13, 1964-May 2, 1998

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #91 on: October 26, 2009, 09:55:57 PM
like iluvpinkspider hide was the one who inspired me to pick up my guitar and play it, but i have a great respect to taiji toshi and pata, but stil hide is my favourite.

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #92 on: February 09, 2010, 01:56:09 AM
hide..
since little always dreamt in being how it play like him
like a lot of you hide

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #93 on: February 09, 2010, 05:06:03 AM
It was difficult, and I know each answer here is very personal. I hold all of them in high esteem, but I chose Yoshiki. No contest for me because of his ability to survive so much darkness in his life and turn it into light. Toshi runs a very close 2nd to Yoshiki for the same reasons, and hide gets the Bronze because he is like a pink diamond, refracting the light Yoshiki focused on him. The 3 of them were a unique and vibrant triad, and losing 1/3rd of it threw the other two entirely off balance, 1st with the initial loss of Toshi, then the irreversible loss of hide. Pata I will always love because A: he is a cat person and B: I love Patarillo. ;D Heath, because he had huge shoes to fill; Sugizo because he has incredible vision and straightened up when Luna was born. Taiji is solid talent, and he also makes me smile because of his tenacity, but sadly, I came to X after his time with them. He is undoubtedly and arguably one of the best bassist to come out of Japan in decades, and I will always think of him as a Samurai Cowboy, but he just didn't have the same impact on my psyche as the others have.

All their talent is un-contestable; all their strengths likewise, but Yoshiki's melancholy tenacity and ability to pour his abiding horror and pain into such incredibly moving music will always stand as a bright, and guiding star for me. Above all,  he is a survivor.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 05:08:10 AM by Faestian »

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #94 on: February 09, 2010, 12:59:07 PM
Faestian,

You've done it again!  You say what I want to say but don't have the ability to.  What you said about Yoshiki is exactly how I feel.

Recently I heard someone say "God has touched Yoshiki's hands".  Isn't that the truth?

We are X!!!!!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #95 on: February 09, 2010, 01:06:17 PM
Yoshiki and Toshi, they are the heart of X and X Japan! Without one of these 2, there is no X or X Japan.
Still I love all the members...

Offline Ranger Nessy

• View Profile
    • Ranger Nessy
Reply #96 on: March 22, 2010, 05:38:09 PM
My favourite has always been Pata.  I just think he's a really cool guy, and his solo work is excellent.

Having said that though, I think Heath's solo efforts are the best (especially his first self-titled release).

Also really like Toshi, and being a Luna Sea fan (and a violinist) I'm delighted to see Sugizo in the new line-up.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 05:39:59 PM by Ranger Nessy »

Mugabe backwards = E-ba-gum

An anagram of Mother-in-Law = Woman Hitler

Offline Blue Frost

• View Profile
Reply #97 on: May 10, 2010, 12:39:10 AM
I chose hide, but it was hard.
Taiji and hide are my most favorites... the 2 influence me a lot to move towards music...

Offline Deep_Red88

• View Profile
Reply #98 on: June 16, 2010, 05:13:21 AM
My favorite is Yoshiki.  I'm not sure in what particular order I like all of them in, but here is a little breakdown of how I feel about all of them:

Yoshiki: What more can I say?  He is very talented and I just love it when he plays the drums and the piano. Despite everything that he and the others have been through, he is still standing strong.  He puts his heart and soul into the music which I really admire.  He just puts so much emotion into everything that he does and I just love that. Yes, he is  a drama queen, but that's part of his charm. :)

Toshi: Love his voice, and he just makes me smile.  I can just sense the desperation in his voice in songs like "Forever Love" and his voice at times just moves me to tears (no pun intended). His friendship with Yoshiki passed the ultimate test!  Glad to see that Toshi is free from Masaya!

Heath: Heath definetly had some big shoes to fill when he joined the band, and I can honestly say that he has done well in coming to his own. He has won the hearts of many fans, including mine. Plus, I love the outfits that he wears on stage! :)

Taiji: When I first got into X-Japan, I only knew Heath as the bass player.  When I heard about what had happened with Taiji, it came as no surprise when I found out that many fans were upset when he left.  As for me, Taiji really had a lot of spirit and I love his  solos (not saying that Heath doesn't have spirit or that I don't like his solos).   It's hard for me to decide who I like more, Heath or Taiji. I guess you could say that I like them both, and they both had/have something to offer to the band.

Pata: In my opinion, Pata is underestimated which is a real shame if you ask me. He may be quiet and real laid back, but as soon as he gets on stage, he shines. 

Sugizo: I liked him before he got into X-Japan, and I can't think of anyone better to have joined the rest of the band. Another plus for me, is that he plays the violin!

hide: Before I became a member of this board, I noticed that on this site, people either loved hide, or weren't too crazy about him. That being said, I will have to say that I'm sort of in between. I do like him, but I'm no fangirl. Yes, he had a good solo career, he had cool outfits, and he (in my opinion) did cute things on stage, was a good guitarist,  but I just don't like it when people try to make him into something that he wasn't (but that's for another thread). Anyway, I like hide, but I like Pata more. I'll even admit that I liked the songs that hide did outside of X-Japan. It's horrible that he had to die so soon,  and my heart goes out to his friends and family. 

In the end, X-Japan (no matter the line-up), always puts me in a good mood. Sometimes I wonder, what would it had been like if I had gotten into them when I was younger. Now looking back, getting into them in the fall of 2007 after going through a painful breakup with my friend, I can't think of a better time!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 05:16:34 AM by Deep_Red88 »

Offline sora2252

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • twitter
Reply #99 on: June 16, 2010, 07:18:10 AM
While I like every member of X I'd have to say that hide is probably my favorite. I came from a very strict background with my parents. I was always the one that pushed their buttons, but I remember hearing X for the first time, it was at the end of Saw 4, and I thought man they kick ass. This girl had been trying to show me them. When I started looking them up on youtube I hated hide. He was everything guys, what I had been taught, were not supposed to be. Slowly I started to realize that he was free. I guess that's why he holds a special place in my heart. I know now it's okay to be different and I'm proud to be, what my parents would say, weird. Plus I think he was a awesome guitar player. So much energy on stage. It's part of what made them so amazing. They all bring different things to the stage and come together and explode into their performances haha!

Offline Jill1808

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #100 on: March 25, 2011, 09:48:08 PM
Hehe so I leave my two cents.

The first thing that struck me when I heard Forever Love (first song I heard from X Japan) was Toshi clear high voice. And I have loved it ever since.
And I really admire his ability to still smile and laugh after what he had gone through with all this HoH BS.
There is also a bit of myself I can see in his younger self. So I feel kind of drawn to him.

Of course I also love the other guys - former and new members alike.  :)

Offline Jrockergirl

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #101 on: March 28, 2011, 08:33:58 AM
I'm a huge fan of Toshi's voice and passion, but I really like Yoshiki's musical ability with piano and drums. I also love how Yoshiki gets so much media attention over the others but the whole group is great for all the charity the do.

Offline LoveMeLemoned

• Sunday Listener
  • 美しい音楽を作ります。
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #102 on: March 28, 2011, 10:48:44 AM
I voted Toshi. :) He'll always be my number one. Then Pata, then Taiji, hide, Heath, and Yoshiki. But I really love them all, they all have their own good points.

Offline ReiMISERY

• Rookie
  • "飛べ飛べ飛べ飛べ♪屋根ぶっ壊しちまえー♪" -hide
    • View Profile
    • StickamJAPAN
Reply #103 on: March 28, 2011, 09:40:48 PM
waaah on the second thought!! I can't choose T_T  I know I dyed my hair like hide and bought alot of merchandise of hide..but but but I love them all soooo much!!  It's not just some band i love and im a fan of,  it's like they all take a huge space in my heart<3   I'll just say the members of X-JAPAN are my favorite! xP

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #104 on: March 28, 2011, 11:23:05 PM
I voted for Taiji, because I´m deeply impressed about his biography, falling down from the top that deep, stop to work and to be creativ, getting homeless and after all find the ability to pull your self together and restart, he got my respect and by the way I love his bass solos

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Jill1808

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #105 on: March 29, 2011, 06:29:40 AM
Yeah Taiji is awesome. To get back on his feet again after all that happend to him requires a lot of strength both physical and mental.
Btw where can I get the biography? Is there an English version of his biography or an online translation for it. I'm very curious about it and would like to read it as well.

Offline blur

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #106 on: March 29, 2011, 07:11:26 AM
no doubt,ToshI!!!

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #107 on: March 29, 2011, 09:56:15 PM
@Jill 1808: as far as I know there is no official translation, I found one at http://www.xradicaldreamers.net/xjapan/xnosei, but it seems the page doesn´t exist anymore, maybe you find one, the name of the book is "X no sei ti shi".
 I´ve printed the translation, if I find time I can scan it an send you as an e-mail, if you are not successful, but it was a bit incomplete.
Let me know, if you are interested

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline autumnglitter

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #108 on: March 29, 2011, 10:07:03 PM
Toshi is my number one so I voted for him. Along with Heath and Pata, they are my most favorited three, though I admire them all.

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #109 on: March 29, 2011, 10:29:23 PM
by the way we didn´t have had really a chance to vote for Sugizo...

Offline Jill1808

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #110 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:55 PM
@elanor
Thanks for the offer. I'll go hunting in the internets first. If I'm not successful I'll come back to you.  ;D

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #111 on: April 02, 2011, 07:36:54 PM
I can't really say I have a 'favourite'. They're a collective, in my mind, as X Japan.

I hugely admire Yoshiki for his abilities as a song-writer and a creative soul, given that music he has written has affected me so strongly in my life, but to say that he is my favourite member on those pretenses would feel a little bit wrong.

As a guitarist I acknowledge Pata as a decent player, but Hide and Sugizo both stand as pillars of inspiration for me in that their own styles are so unique and have inspired my own playing so greatly. Long before Sugizo joined X Japan I found his playing to be hugely inspirational, but in a very different way to the abject individuality which I admire in Hide's solo work and playing style.

Taiji, as a musician, earns my respect for his ability - but I'm not massively sold on some of his compositions for X, but I do recognise his influence, especially on the arrangements, of X's music. I think when he left the band they lost a flavour of sound and arrangement which they never really replaced, perhaps not for the worse, but his contribution was very large non-the-less.

Heath is... Heath. He's an okay bassist, very solid, very understated, much like John Deacon of Queen. Does his thing quietly on stage and finds his space very nicely between the drums and the guitars of the instrumental section. Importantly, he doesn't tread over anybody else - whereas Taiji perhaps did. In Queen John Deacon was hired because of his technical ability and his calm nature allowing the other members of the band like Freddie Mercury to not be out-shone on stage whilst still providing a solid rhythm section in the process - and I think that's where Heath's importance to the band lays. He's solid, he's just there. Very similarly to Pata, he just gets on with it.

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #112 on: April 05, 2011, 05:56:52 AM
I'm a huge Pata fan.  While I agree with hide and Sugizo are a lot more experimental with their playing style, having heard Pata's solo shit is just... Amazing.  Great, classic rock and roll without apologies or trying to be anything else.  I understand it's not everyone's bag, but I dig it.

I agree, also, that when Taiji left there was a shift in style as well.  Heath's solo stuff is a bit more Dahlia-album in feel than the previous studio works.  And this is in no way trying to downplay hide at all, his solo music is fantastic and there's a reason I've got the Necromance necklace on, I just feel that talent wise, hide and Pata were on similar footing.

Offline Neru

• Sunday Listener
  • Somewhere Between Here and There
    • View Profile
Reply #113 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:09 AM
I'm a huge Pata fan.  While I agree with hide and Sugizo are a lot more experimental with their playing style, having heard Pata's solo shit is just... Amazing.  Great, classic rock and roll without apologies or trying to be anything else.  I understand it's not everyone's bag, but I dig it.

The thing I like in Pata is exactly that Fades, Pata knows that he is not the best guitarist in the World, but he has so much trust, so much feeling in his musical style that is simply genius, the way a true guitarist should be, every note he plays sounds like nobody else but him.
I must say I like his solo Stuff much more than any other member, maybe because I'm an old school lover, his best song in my opinion is without a doubt So Far... even though it is very simplistic and very easy to play that song is one of the most beautiful instrumentals I ever heard, just like BB king, Pata does not need speed to show everyone he is a great guitarist.

The fact that I am a Copy of so many that I admire, makes me feel unique.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #114 on: April 08, 2011, 11:19:42 PM

The thing I like in Pata is exactly that Fades, Pata knows that he is not the best guitarist in the World, but he has so much trust, so much feeling in his musical style that is simply genius, the way a true guitarist should be, every note he plays sounds like nobody else but him.
I must say I like his solo Stuff much more than any other member, maybe because I'm an old school lover, his best song in my opinion is without a doubt So Far... even though it is very simplistic and very easy to play that song is one of the most beautiful instrumentals I ever heard, just like BB king, Pata does not need speed to show everyone he is a great guitarist.

And see, that's exactly why Sugizo and Hide rank higher in my estimations as creative souls. Play me a piece of music with Sugizo or Hide playing and I'll be able to tell it's them without being told, their style is so signature - Pata, however, plays a more generic rock/bluesy style as a default mode, which isn't neccessarily unique to him. Pata sounds like other players, Hide and Sugizo sound like themselves. It's not anything to do with technical ability, just creative flair and expression.

It's what also attracts me to guitarists like Steve Hackett and Dave Gilmore, they just sound so distinctive. Their individual take on what can be accomplished with the instrument is what inspires me as a player.

Offline petersonzoya

• View Profile
Reply #115 on: February 19, 2012, 03:48:50 AM
Except I'll choose Taiji, because to me he seems like *gasp* the most talented and charismatic (Toshi excluded @ charismatic, I'm talking about the instrument guys here) - a total natural on stage - musician out of the bunch.

Offline donaldbotham

• View Profile
Reply #116 on: February 29, 2012, 04:53:51 PM
Except I'll choose Taiji, because to me he seems like *gasp* the most talented and charismatic (Toshi excluded @ charismatic, I'm talking about the instrument guys here) - a total natural on stage - musician out of the bunch.

Offline jonathanjack

• View Profile
Reply #117 on: March 01, 2012, 05:18:23 PM
 Lots of reasons, but to sum it up-- Taiji's my idea of rock'n'roll.  That guy is a true survivor and seriously one of the most real and authentic rock guys I can think of, not just in Japan, but anywhere.  The music, the stage persona, the attitude, the tattoos, the hard life, the truly impressive musical ability... it doesn't get much more rock'n'roll than that.