• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

The "Educational" Thread

ferret · 1623

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
on: April 16, 2008, 02:30:02 PM
This is a thread for random (and maybe not so well known) information about any subject possible.

Aye-Aye

The Aye-aye (Daubentonia madagascariensis) is a strepsirrhine native to Madagascar that combines rodent-like teeth with a long, thin middle finger* to fill the same ecological niche as a woodpecker. It is the world's largest nocturnal primate, and is characterized by its unique method of finding food**; it taps on trees to find grubs, then gnaws holes in the wood and inserts its elongated middle finger to pull the grubs out. (extract from Wiki article)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyssdG9mK0c[/youtube]

RIP

Offline Sirimono

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 02:43:48 PM
I love crazy animals!

Axolotl

The Axolotl (or ajolote) (Ambystoma mexicanum) is the best-known of the Mexican neotenic mole salamanders belonging to the Tiger Salamander complex. Larvae of this species fail to undergo metamorphosis, so the adults remain aquatic and gilled. The species originates from the lake underlying Mexico City. Axolotls are used extensively in scientific research due to their ability to regenerate most body parts,* ease of breeding, and large embryos. They are commonly kept as pets in the United States, Great Britain (under the spelling Axlotl), Australia, Japan (where they are sold under the name Wooper Rooper (ウーパールーパー, Ūpā Rūpā?)), and other countries. (Wiki Introduction)

* if you let them get on land, they will grow legs

„All images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“

Offline xkurokei

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/xkurokei/
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 04:34:46 PM
:shock:
My sister screamed when she saw that Axolotl thing.
"ARGH I'M GETTING NIGHTMARES FROM IT!!!!!" she screamed. =x
Weird creature.  :?

Here comes hide!

Psychedelic Violence X Crime of Visual Shock

Offline Sirimono

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 04:39:23 PM
Quote from: "xkurokei"
:shock:
My sister screamed when she saw that Axolotl thing.
"ARGH I'M GETTING NIGHTMARES FROM IT!!!!!" she screamed. =x
Weird creature.  :?

it's so endless cute!!! but well... I thinkt eh Predator from the ALIEN series are cute too... especially without mask

„All images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008, 05:01:52 PM
Axolotl! i remember reading about it a few months ago. I recall a headline of 'Real life Pokemon discovered'. :lol:

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm