Tordek42 · 9467

Offline Tordek42

• Absolute Destruction
  • Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Music
on: March 12, 2008, 05:32:40 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zilch_%28band%29

Amazing band, a mix of electronic and hard rock. They're first album features a few reworked hide solo songs, and one song hide wrote for X-Japan with english.

Zilch were going to be hide's way of getting into America, with a tour supporting Marylin Manson being discussed at the time of hide's death.

Anyway, any other fan's of Zilch here??

This is my moderator colour

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:31:56 PM
I like Zilch too. I only listened to the first album though (3 2 1 Zilch I think).

I really like Electric Cucumber, it's a great song !!!

The song What's Up Mr. Jones is in fact X-Japan's Drain with other lyrics.

I prefer hide with Spread Beaver though.

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 09:45:14 AM
I think, Paul Raven from Zilch died in October last year. He also played bass for Ministry, among onther bands.
I know it's an old thread but it's some kind of news anyways XD

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 09:56:48 AM
I'm A FAN!!! FROM YEsTERDAY NIGHT!!!! XDDD Pixy got me on 3.2.1!!!

HIDE FOR THE KING OF PERVERTS!!!!

I like the whole album... Doubt and Pose are really cool!  :D

May X be with you!

Offline pixy

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://pixychild.livejournal.com/
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 10:01:53 AM
lol ... I haven't been listening to Zilch but for maybe a week? But I'm so hooked! They have such an awesome sound and even the remakes of songs still sound new to me in a way.

And well .... I have to say I love the perversion. But even beneath the perverted lyrics there is this level of depth and personality which is what makes them all the more interesting ^___^

I really love Electric Cucumber, but I adore the whole thing really hahaha

img]http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa152/pixychild/shinjukulost/yoshikicv0.gif[/img]
Take care YOSHIKI!!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 07:02:26 PM
Yeah ZILCH are enjoyable to listen to. Fuctack #6 is indeed interesting.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:51:25 PM
Quote from: "Lucs"
I like Zilch too. I only listened to the first album though (3 2 1 Zilch I think).

I really like Electric Cucumber, it's a great song !!!

The song What's Up Mr. Jones is in fact X-Japan's Drain with other lyrics.

I prefer hide with Spread Beaver though.
same here :)

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 08:26:20 AM
I really like the 3.2.1 album (well, that's the only one I know *g*) and my favorite tracks are "What's Up Mr. Jones?" (no surprise at all I think), and "Psyche".

Offline Sirimono

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:01:23 PM
I love the Zilch stuff... It's kinda scary that Paul Raven died o_o

I mean all the old bands and their musicians are slowly falling apart T_T

„All images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.“

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 04, 2008, 02:08:07 PM
There's a rumor that Zilch are going to reform just for the hide summit on the 3rd and 4th of April...it would be awesome if it was true :shock:

Offline Tordek42

• Absolute Destruction
  • Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Music
Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008, 02:12:25 PM
Seriously??? I was thinking that would happen but seemed too good to be true. Wonder who will perform hides part (or if it will be playback again), and who'll play Paul Raven's part (bassist who died in October last year)... I was thinking Heath, J and possibly Duff McKagan

This is my moderator colour

Offline MIHO

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 04:45:50 PM
I've got the 3.2.1. cd, and I love it <3

Zilch = perverted rock  8)

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 05:28:26 PM
Quote from: "MIHO"
Zilch = perverted rock  8)

EXACTLY!!!!  :lol:

May X be with you!

ben

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 01:21:55 PM
I remember my interest in X Japan perked when I heard Zilch's song "Hey Man So Long" a little while after it came out. I recall I discovered them as a side project of Paul Raven (RIP).

Its an amazing album. Wish Hide would have got his big break and tour outside Asia and get the kind of success and recognition he deserved.

I'm sure Hide and Paul have maybe crossed paths again wherever they are. They shouldn't have any problems filling in the rest of their band at all - there's some class talent up there all sadly taken away from us.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2008, 08:33:52 PM
Zilch was a good side project for hide, although I'm not sure they would have stayed together very long even if hide hadn't died. From what I understand, the band was formed back in 1995 and was constantly postponed because of hide's other solo work and X Japan. Basically, Raven and Ray were waiting for something to happen - which was complicated to a greater extent via in-fighting between the two over production issues not to mention record label reluctance to release the album both in Japan and the States (the album was finished sometime in August 1997 I believe, the video for Electric Cucumber was filmed and finished sometime in 1996 but didn't see the light of day until 1998). To be honest, I don't even think hide was too bothered about Zilch - he just called it "a commitment from 1995".

Oh, and btw - all of the perverted lyrics were written by Ray Mcveigh :p

Offline aruzo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aruzo
Reply #15 on: July 25, 2008, 12:42:06 PM
Zilch was a good side project for hide, although I'm not sure they would have stayed together very long even if hide hadn't died. From what I understand, the band was formed back in 1995 and was constantly postponed because of hide's other solo work and X Japan. Basically, Raven and Ray were waiting for something to happen - which was complicated to a greater extent via in-fighting between the two over production issues not to mention record label reluctance to release the album both in Japan and the States (the album was finished sometime in August 1997 I believe, the video for Electric Cucumber was filmed and finished sometime in 1996 but didn't see the light of day until 1998). To be honest, I don't even think hide was too bothered about Zilch - he just called it "a commitment from 1995".

Haha, thanks for the information.

I love Zilch and I think they're a very interesting band, have lots of interesting musicians with history behind them and they're quite bizarre and fun at the same time. I absolutely love 3.2.1! Sad the way 2 of the band members have passed on but I guess Joey Castilllo is kinda famous now with being in Queens of the Stone Age and all?

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 25, 2008, 05:36:17 PM

Haha, thanks for the information.

I love Zilch and I think they're a very interesting band, have lots of interesting musicians with history behind them and they're quite bizarre and fun at the same time. I absolutely love 3.2.1! Sad the way 2 of the band members have passed on but I guess Joey Castilllo is kinda famous now with being in Queens of the Stone Age and all?

It's the curse of Zilch! 3 people who were involved in the project have sinced passed away. Hide in 1998, Dirty Ol' Bastard in 2004 and then Paul Raven recently.

Joey Castillo only plays on a few of the songs on 3.2.1 - as far as I am aware Joey only became an official member once the album was nearly completed.

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 10:03:05 PM
Zilch is okayish but I don't enjoy them too much..

let's say.. I can listen to them but that's all.

Offline Ashura Shadow

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 23, 2009, 02:11:20 AM
*attempts at reviving this topic xD*

In my opinion, Zilch was one of hide's most interesting project, because it was so different from what he did in Japan : if he had ever sung such explicit lyrics (even though he didn't write them) in Japan, the fans would have probably been totally shocked.

I really enjoy Zilch because it's so carefree, I mean they're mixing punk, electro and rap and it just seems like it's perfectly normal. 3, 2, 1 is the kind of album you listen to thinking ''okay, these guys must have had a LOT of fun recording this".

Aside from 3, 2, 1, there is a remix album called Bastard Eyes. I'm not that much into remixes but I found it interesting nonetheless, espacially J's remix which is really brilliant. And there's also a tribute album to hide, called Sky Jin, which any fan of Zilch should really listen to. It's crazy, it's moving, and I loved it. Too bad no one knows what I'm talking about when I talk about Sky Jin. u_u"

I'm at my wits' end.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: October 23, 2009, 12:22:17 PM
*attempts at reviving this topic xD*

In my opinion, Zilch was one of hide's most interesting project, because it was so different from what he did in Japan : if he had ever sung such explicit lyrics (even though he didn't write them) in Japan, the fans would have probably been totally shocked.

I really enjoy Zilch because it's so carefree, I mean they're mixing punk, electro and rap and it just seems like it's perfectly normal. 3, 2, 1 is the kind of album you listen to thinking ''okay, these guys must have had a LOT of fun recording this".

Aside from 3, 2, 1, there is a remix album called Bastard Eyes. I'm not that much into remixes but I found it interesting nonetheless, espacially J's remix which is really brilliant. And there's also a tribute album to hide, called Sky Jin, which any fan of Zilch should really listen to. It's crazy, it's moving, and I loved it. Too bad no one knows what I'm talking about when I talk about Sky Jin. u_u"

I didn't like Skyjin... I liked that they tried to go in the same direction - but the album really lacked the "hide" factor.

Also, hide did write explicit lyrics in his Japanese released music, or at least, songs with explicit undertones/insinuations. Songs which come to mind are Genkai Haratsu, Bacteria and Doubt. As an interesting side note, for the video of "Bacteria" hide performs with Zilch, instead of Spread Beaver :p

Offline Ashura Shadow

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 08:28:41 PM
I didn't like Skyjin... I liked that they tried to go in the same direction - but the album really lacked the "hide" factor.

Also, hide did write explicit lyrics in his Japanese released music, or at least, songs with explicit undertones/insinuations. Songs which come to mind are Genkai Haratsu, Bacteria and Doubt. As an interesting side note, for the video of "Bacteria" hide performs with Zilch, instead of Spread Beaver :p

Sure, he had sung explicit songs before, but they weren't really explicit in the same way... I think that the main difference between japanese and european/american lyrics is that in japanese everything's always hinted - which could be due to the japanese syntax. Like in the lyrics of honey blade : nothing's really said, but you can feel it's about really violent emotions.

As for Sky Jin, the fact that it wasn't very "hide-esque" didn't bother me... of course it was very different from what hide would have done but still, I really enjoyed songs like Charlie's children or Dedicated to the true playa. But it may be because I like songs which mix different kinds of music. I don't really know why I liked this album so much, actually. xD

I'm at my wits' end.

Offline Ashura Shadow

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 07:33:48 PM
Hi ~ after a few days of struggling with the boxes where I stack all of my CDs I FINALLY found my Zilch booklet xD So here are the lyrics... they were damn hard to type. u_u"

Charlie's Children

Hello Hello Tokyo - we came to flow we came to show
Big funk freakers busting out your speakers
Shabba's on the mic with a mad jungle fever
We are the liberators - bullshit disintegrators
Dripping out the mushikera [1] and the Zilch haters
We are the 2nd coming we are the big bomb
We are Charlies children... ooh la la la
Creepy crawling on my hands and knees
Like some sick sick sixties psycho - please
Nominations, calibrations, sexy psycho explanations
Coming thru the bedroom window, offing you, felicitations
The crooked smile, I am the hippie hatelove child
Time to go, deha mata nochi hodo, deha mata nochi hodo [2]

Ooh la la lala lala   We're all Cha Cha Cha Charlies children

Check it out, rising, rolling
My name is Shabba Dan, I am the ragga man,
Check out my situation, my situation
Well me a Danna [3], me come in the place, pick up the mic and tell every one ah,
Rude boy come from London, yeah... listen - rinsing, rolling
Putting gats in my lyrics dem fat make you damn collapse
Rough ragga, sharp dagger, climb ladder
Like Manson I'm madder, that's why they call me MC Shabba

Get2theget2totheeffect2thefader2thevibe2thevibe4themader2thefavor
Flavor4theraver Flavor4theraver Flavor4theraver

Ooh la la lala lala   You're all Cha Cha Cha Charlies children

Get2theget2totheeffect2thefader2thevibe2thevibe4themader2thefavor
Flavor4theraver Flavor4theraver Flavor4theraver

All italicized words were originally written in katakana, I wrote them here in romaji.
[1] mushikera = worm, insect
[2] deha mata nochi hodo = see you next time
[3] according to wiki, a danna is a geisha's ''patron''
And Shabba is the name of the rapper ^^

Hope that helps ~

I'm at my wits' end.