X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

"Rules" about wearing band shirts to concerts?

Hollywood · 2970

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
on: March 03, 2008, 05:38:32 PM
So, lately I've heard that it's now some kind of taboo to wear a band shirt to that band's concert.  However, it's apparently acceptable to wear the shirt of a different band.  So for example, if you were going to see Guns 'n Roses, you could wear an Aerosmith shirt but not a Guns 'n Roses shirt.

What the fuck?  When did this start?  Is this a specifically American thing?  Which music scene(s) does it apply to?  Am I totally uncool for not knowing about this 'til now?

When I went to KISS for example (though this was 8 years ago), not only were there tons of people in KISS shirts, there were also tons of KISS tattoos.  Likewise when I saw Poison... I remember not only Poison shirts but a few tattoos as well.  If same-band shirts are uncool, are same-band tattoos even less cool?  How the hell does that work?

I always thought wearing a band's shirt to their concert was a nice way of showing support for them, especially if it's an old shirt, so you can show them you've liked them for a long time.  And likewise I always thought it was a little weird to wear a different band's shirt (unless it's the opening band or something)-- because then it's like, if you like those guys better, why did you even bother to come? :P

Anyway, thoughts?  Anyone else ever heard of (or follow) this rule?

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 05:43:57 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
What the fuck?

WTF?  :shock:

At least here in Brazil I never heard of that before... what happens here is sometimes older fans of the bands, those stupid ones that feel superior than new fans, mock people who are wearing a band shirt but knows nothing about that band... Which to me sounds just as stupid as this "rule" about the shirts...

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:17 PM
I think it's an American thing...

I went to see Guns N'Roses twice in 2006, both time I wore a Guns N'Roses shirt, and I can tell you I wasn't the only one !!!

I also wore a Guns N'Roses shirt at Ozzy Osbourne's show, a Megadeth's show, a Metallica show, Alice Cooper's show... never had any problem (and yes I also have some shirt which are not Guns N'Roses shirts lol).

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:54 PM
Never heard of it. Though there are not many big concerts here and I'v been to only one (Apocalyptica). But when I was at Girugamesh live in Finland this February, about 90% of the ppl bought the tour t-shirt and put it on there.

This is my administrator color.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 06:44:20 PM
At the Concerts I was a LOT of people wore those band's shirts o_O;

About J-Rock I know that german fans thought it was stupid to wear another a shirt of another band...x_x Complete opposit.... Now I'm confused xD

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17:55 PM
I'm so relieved to see you guys' responses... man, I thought I'd totally missed some weird rule (not that I necessarily follow such "rules" anyway).  Yeah, sounds like it's only an American thing.

Quote from: "Arucard"
what happens here is sometimes older fans of the bands, those stupid ones that feel superior than new fans, mock people who are wearing a band shirt but knows nothing about that band... Which to me sounds just as stupid as this "rule" about the shirts...

Actually that one I sort of understand, so long as it's not taken to an extreme-- if I see someone wearing a band shirt I'd assume they know who the band is (and like the band), and I'd be a little "WTF?" if they knew nothing about them at all.  But I know people sometimes wear the shirts only for fashion reasons, and that's fine, people can wear whatever they want.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 12:11:03 AM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
Actually that one I sort of understand, so long as it's not taken to an extreme-- if I see someone wearing a band shirt I'd assume they know who the band is (and like the band), and I'd be a little "WTF?" if they knew nothing about them at all.  But I know people sometimes wear the shirts only for fashion reasons, and that's fine, people can wear whatever they want.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying... If I see a person walking by on a Judas Priest shirt I also assume that person likes Judas, and knows at least something about them... But this person can like Judas more than me, and he just didn't have the chance to get more information about them... And even if this person doesn't know Judas at all, and just like how the shirt looks, I don't think it's a right think to go and mock that person... This is one of the most annoying things on Metal/Rock fans... They're always trying to be superior than each other...

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 10:21:15 AM
Well, either America is getting crazy or someone was making a joke e.e,
I can't believe that that's REALLY a serious rule. Thinking of it, at the concerts there's also sold merchandise - and especcially - oh, surprise: band-shirts! So, what's that rule for? Does it have any useful sense??

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 05:36:22 PM
I've been to over 50 concerts and there's always tons of people wearing the same band's shirt, and those few times I did myself nobody ever mocked me :P

This is one of the most annoying things on Metal/Rock fans... They're always trying to be superior than each other...

Opposite of my experience :? Perhaps Swedish metalheads are friendly bastards. I only noticed some less friendly people at more mainstream-sounding bands' concerts.

The only people in the metal scene that I ever had any arguments with are the elitistic ones that only like old albums of certain bands and accuse them of being sellouts in later years.

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: "alex"
Perhaps Swedish metalheads are friendly bastards. I only noticed some less friendly people at more mainstream-sounding bands' concerts.

Hehehe *grin* THAT's what I call attitude - looking iffül (=evil) like Satan in person and actually being totally polite - that's something I appreciate. x]

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 08, 2008, 06:30:08 PM
I never heard of this rule as an American concert-goer,  I see a lot of people wearing the band shirts and a lot of people wearing other stuff.  I know personally there are a lot of bands I'd like to see live, and I couldn't afford shirts for all of them, so if I go to a concert and I don't have that band's shirt I'd probably wear a different band's shirt.  It's a cool way to meet people sometimes, good excuse to go up and talk to someone you don't know if they're sporting a shirt for a band you like.

: Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it?
A: Yes, because the pile of bodies would break my fall.

Offline Envenom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 09:43:23 PM
And even if this person doesn't know Judas at all, and just like how the shirt looks, I don't think it's a right think to go and mock that person... This is one of the most annoying things on Metal/Rock fans... They're always trying to be superior than each other...

There I disagree with you mate. I think that if you wear band shirts, you should at least have heard some albums from that band. Here in Holland one could get Motorhead and Maiden shirts at a big clothing chain, and it pisses me off to see dumb artsy fags walk around with shirts of bands they don't even know. I remember I was in San Francisco once and saw this typical emo kid with a Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny shirt. When I asked him what his favorite Priest album was, he told me that he never heard of them and bought the shirt cos he thought it looked cool. Needless to say I almost kicked his teeth in, stupid poser. :lol: I don't know if that makes me elitist, but frankly I don't care.

And as for rules, I only knew a few: don't wear Christian ''black'' metal shirts to ordinary black metal concerts and certainly DON'T wear My Dying Bride shirts to Pagan Altar concerts, or their rhythm guitar player might punch you a new nose. :lol:

http://www.myspace.com/sunrisehmsh

SUNRISE: the heavy metal benchpressing maniacs running wild!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:49:31 PM
Quote from: "Envenom"

and it pisses me off to see dumb artsy fags walk around

RIP

Offline Envenom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 09:58:00 PM
That's a big nono? In that case, my apologies. Subtlety is not really one of my strong points, hehe.

http://www.myspace.com/sunrisehmsh

SUNRISE: the heavy metal benchpressing maniacs running wild!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 10:08:29 PM
It is, indeed. Especially this one and the n-word.

Remember, big ferret is watching you!
 :P

RIP