• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Is it just me?

BizKiTRoAcH · 11670

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: July 01, 2007, 12:05:38 AM
Am I the only who isnt in the "OMG ITS YOSHIKI/GACKT/SUGIZO/MIYAVI SO IT WILL BE AMAZING AND PERFECT AND THE BEST THING EVER MADE" mode??

As much as I like all of the above artists, I watched the clips on youtube and downloaded a few.. and I just thought they were average. I liked them but some people are acting like they are the most amazing band on the planet. The members solo/other stuff may be.. but in my opinion, S.K.I.N. hasnt lived up to the hype. I'd still love to see them live but really, they're not as good as I hoped.

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:23:24 AM
I haven't really been that excited from what I've seen so far, but everything I've seen was on crap quality recording, so I'm trying not to judge to harshly.  I really want to get a CD to hear their sound, but I have insanely high expectations for this band, and if they don't meet up with them I'll be severely disappointed.

: Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it?
A: Yes, because the pile of bodies would break my fall.

Offline Crows In Black

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 05:10:38 AM
Well for one thing, they played a freakin anime convention, so Id say a good chunk of the people there could care less about the music and just like them because they are "from Japan".

If you want proof go read any review of the show.......they will say maybe one or two sentences about the music, then like 5 paragraphs about what they were wearing or how they acted onstage or what Gackt's hair looked like.

So in other words, the music probably wasn't that good because the audience and american fan base (not all of them, but a A LOT of them) doesn't give a crap about the music to begin with.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 08:56:49 AM
Quote from: "Crows In Black"
So in other words, the music probably wasn't that good because the audience and american fan base (not all of them, but a A LOT of them) doesn't give a crap about the music to begin with.

I wonder whether they even heard the music since they were screaming like that _all_the_time_!!!!

Well, since I AM in that OMGTHISBANDWILLROCKTHEWORLD-mode I can't really say anything unprejudiced... :twisted:
Most of the videos really are in terrible quality...but there are some that also have good sound quality! Judging from those at least "killing you softly" (I think it was that song...) sounds very good! Unfortunatly I can't say that much about the other songs cause I heard them only fragmentary...They don't sound bad, but I want to listen to them on one go...
*I want a DVD/CD!!!!*

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:23:24 AM
Well, I downloaded a few AVI's and the quality of the one labelled "skin-03.avi" is pretty decent. Its the music they used in the promo trailer. I thought that was okay.. and it will be easier to judge if we had a copy of a CD or a professional recording of the concert but yeah.. so far i'm not majorly impressed  :?

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 10:28:53 AM
yep. judging the music right now is almost impossible. Let's hope we'll get something judgeable (=official) soon.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:44:45 AM by Maverick »

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 10:55:46 AM
On the other hand... some music (X, for example) was very attractive to me even when I heard it in a bad quality (and for the first time too, so talk about first impression!). One could say to himself: yes, there's something in it!
And I must say there's no such feeling when SKIN is concerned.
But perhaps I'm simply prejudiced, as I never really liked anyone from the band except Yoshiki (and therefore wasn't really happy about the band anyway).

I will gladly be proven wrong, though...  :?

Pony rocks!

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 09:05:52 AM
Well I just watched a good video where Gackt started off singing, Yoshiki started on piano, Gackt started on piano, Sugizo came in on violin and Miyavi started playing something else (someone told me it was a classical Japanese instrument) and I was thoroughly enjoying it until Yoshiki had to ruin it by bashing on the piano. I can understand it in Art of Life, its part of the "message" he's trying to get across.. but in my opinion he just totally ruined a great song doing it in that S.K.I.N. song.

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:48:43 AM
I kind of disliked them from the beginning, with no real hope of their music. They'll just steal time from the future X Japan reunion.

Offline migashi69

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 10:07:45 AM
i went their frist show it was amazing but my fried got to meet them i wwas suposed to go with her but i lost her :( such bad luck and i think i was the only one im my section in aww casue well it was all of the best in one !! and it seemed as if no one in my section even really cared about yoshiki and sugizo are they all just there to eye miyavi and gackt some people i guess just dont realize what they just saw

ndless...

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 11:31:47 AM
YOU SON OF A BITCH, HOW CAN YOU SAY THEY'RE NOT THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD?? I MEAN, OMG ITS YOSHIKI/GACKT/SUGIZO/MIYAVI SO IT WILL BE AMAZING AND PERFECT AND THE BEST THING EVER MADE! SO STFU, BECAUSE YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT MUSIC, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO CALL YOURSELF X FAN, PRAISE EVERYTHING YOSHIKI DOES, YOU LITTLE GIT!

Yeah, they sound nice  :P  Def. am waiting for a DVD release, since I'm not willing to judge any band until I've seen it live (in watchable quality, that is). I must say I'm more excited about this band than any other side project of the (ex-) X members.

RIP

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 01:20:19 AM
Extremely Difficult Conditions? Arena not meant for concerts? That does NOT make the music any different. The bootlegs that are making the rounds on youtube are varied in quality but in most of them you can clearly hear the music, even with the fangirls screaming. You make it sound like we are judging the music from the worst quality bootlegs ever made. The sound quality on this is probably the best you'll get until an "official" release and I can hear everything pretty clearly on that vid. While it may not be the same as judging from a CD release, the audio is clear enough to comment on.

In a perfect world, everyone would praise what they love and not say anything about what they dislike. Unfortunately its not a perfect world and you will have to accept that not everyone wants to praise this band. And if you dont want to read the negative things that other people think then just dont read them and be happy? ;)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:45:18 AM by Maverick »

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: July 04, 2007, 07:14:43 AM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"
Am I the only who isnt in the "OMG ITS
As much as I like all of the above artists, I watched the clips on youtube and downloaded a few.. and I just thought they were average. I liked them but some people are acting like they are the most amazing band on the planet.

LMAO

i gotta agree with you on that one.

Yea im still on the fence. And yes the fans are just way excited and likes anything just because its Yoshiki or Gackt. And they just completely forgot about the music lol

Im gonna have to download the album first and see if I like it. If I do i will buy the CD. So far they do sound average.

So far Im just seeing this band as a "great sets of musicians to scream for or to look at" for now that is.

url=http://www.last.fm/user/SuYen/?chartstyle=listen] [/url]

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 03:07:48 PM
Quote from: "Cruor"
So far Im just seeing this band as a "great sets of musicians to scream for or to look at" for now that is.

Agreed.

Offline Cruor

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 07:14:30 AM
And yea I usually dislike bands or groups like those.

Lets say "DBSK" or the boy bands they have today. I am capable of listening to them but its by far the least of something that I dislike. Not hate.

But hey Yoshiki is in the band, which means music should be interesting. Lets hope it will be lol

url=http://www.last.fm/user/SuYen/?chartstyle=listen] [/url]

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 04:17:11 PM
Well, for the band itself, I don't like Gackt, Sugizo is ok and Miyavi too I guess, I couldn't care less about the bassist and I of course adore Yoshiki. So far, I have not heard anything impressive. Killing You Softly sounded quite good, but not so good that it would somehow make this band special or anything. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Mod color o' mine

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: July 06, 2007, 02:06:16 AM
While i'm not saying the music is bad, I'd say a good 90% of the female fans arent even hearing the music and they are just watching 4 sexy guys on stage doing whatever. Its times like this that I wish they were all hideously ugly. Then you could enjoy them live without some stupid bitch next to you screaming "OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU MIYAVI I LOVE YOU, YOU ARE SO HOT!"

I just think a lot of this bands popularity is due to the "pretty" members and not the music.

Offline Silver_Rain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lisa-sass.de
Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 03:49:38 AM
I agree with you...(I don't think most of the Dir en Grey fans would listen to such kind of music when the band members wouldn't look so "cute")I think the fact that people only like the bands because of their looks is extremly big in this "genre".

I'm not sure if I can say anything about the S.K.I.N. music, the sound quality is too bad for an opinion but I can say that I can't stand Gackt's voice. So however Yoshiki's composing will be I'm not sure if I'll ever like the band.
An other fact I was really shocked about was that they only played 4 songs...I know, I'm not in the position to judge about the concert cause I wasn't there but hey, I think some people really spend a lot of money to see them without knowing what kind of music they'll play and I don't think you can call it a real concert, more a "presentation" (I would expect a little bit more when I go to a concert but maybe it's just me). I just don't really know what to think about this band, to me it looks a little bit like they just want to use the attention j-music got in the past years to do something profitable but I think we'll have to see what happens.

Hope you somehow get what I wanted to say, I'm not good at describing things like that. And I really don't want to be pessimistic, it's good to see Yoshiki trashing the drums again ; )

ww.myspace.com/lisasass

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: July 06, 2007, 01:08:14 PM
i am a huge Diru fan and i am looking forward for S.K.I.N.
i am a stupid fangirl,yes,but i don't care and i say it
i drool when i see S.K.I.N. just because they are ALL amazing musicians
so,Lee,i don't agree lol
i am really excited and it sucks that you are not.but its your opinion.respected by me

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 06, 2007, 01:22:56 PM
Quote from: "crazy bitch"
i am a huge Diru fan and i am looking forward for S.K.I.N.
i am a stupid fangirl,yes,but i don't care and i say it
i drool when i see S.K.I.N. just because they are ALL amazing musicians
so,Lee,i don't agree lol
i am really excited and it sucks that you are not.but its your opinion.respected by me

no more fangirls allowed in this topic. GET OUT!  :P  (or should I say GET BACK!)  :P

Silver_Rain: I understood it completely, dont worry  :D

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 06, 2007, 01:24:51 PM
no f*cking way,will i get out Lee :P
forget that
and i'm not getting back either.
xp

Offline Mitsuko

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sparklysquee
Reply #21 on: July 07, 2007, 06:57:48 PM
I would agree with you guys based on the clips I've seen so far. It's good but not great, BASED ON THOSE CLIPS. But of course it's only 4 songs. I have liked all of the members individually throughout their careers (well okay, I'm not a huge Dué le Quartz fan :P), and I really want to like their collaboration, so I am holding any negative feedback for when I hear more of them.

And regarding Dir en grey, I went and saw them live last night. Their style is no longer visual so this about them simply being "cute" is untrue, at least for me, and most of the fans at this concert (who were, in fact, crowdsurfing, headbanging and all the rest) probably haven't even seen them in the visual era. Therefore it leads me to believe that they are there for the music, and I can honestly say that while some of their super-screamy songs don't appeal to me, I do like the majority of their music and fully enjoyed the concert.

There's my two cents on the matter - or looking back on this, it seems a bit more. :P

Lady, lady are you ready to go?
Why do you have to be laying down?

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: August 31, 2007, 12:26:52 AM
I agree, in part. From what we've heard from Yoshiki, the band hasn't had much time for rehearsal.
And plus, all of them are great, extremely skilled and experienced musicians, it's almost impossible that it turns out a faliure.

But what I think is that... Yoshiki (because he's obviously the soul of that band) isn't completely into it. So many projects, always so busy... when he was in X is was impossible for lack-of-rehearsal-time to happen. It was his life. And that's why it was a great band.

S.K.I.N? It's all cool and they're all very famous, talented and pretty but... they kind of fail as a group. Because nobody is really concerned about the music anymore. It's all about the Gackt-is-so-hot-and-Yoshiki-is-so-sweet thing. Immediatly, anything they do is considered divine by most fans.

I'm gonna be honest; I haven't even taken the time to properly listen to a full song by them. But what I've heard and seen kind of makes me think that this is not a band. These are four solo artists on the same stage. Zero group spirit. Zero love.

It's the opposite of X.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:45:46 AM by Maverick »

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #23 on: August 31, 2007, 07:10:28 AM
It's the opposite of X.

Somehow I find this very true.

Pony rocks!

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 01:55:19 AM
I really like their songs.. well what i've heard this far but I have little hope's that they will actually release something.

I think it will never happen.. blah.

:-\

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2008, 09:50:11 AM
Don't think we'll get anything retail now too.
This whole S.K.I.N. thing looked like a test run.

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2008, 04:38:55 PM
Don't think we'll get anything retail now too.
This whole S.K.I.N. thing looked like a test run.

Blah..

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2008, 09:59:04 PM
S.K.I.N. being a test run is the only explanation that I got left.
Those four guys, they'd rock whatever they'd release. ^_^

Offline saanrio

• View Profile
Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 08:03:41 PM
I agree, in part. From what we've heard from Yoshiki, the band hasn't had much time for rehearsal.
And plus, all of them are great, extremely skilled and experienced musicians, it's almost impossible that it turns out a faliure.

But what I think is that... Yoshiki (because he's obviously the soul of that band) isn't completely into it. So many projects, always so busy... when he was in X is was impossible for lack-of-rehearsal-time to happen. It was his life. And that's why it was a great band.

Just my own two cents here... having gone to a few different types of events at the Arena this was held at, I can honestly say that the acoustics are absolutely, completely hideous for anything other than a hockey game.

Also, I haven't listened to anything, really.  I know I have a unique way of listening to music, but unless I can listen to it live with a QUIET audience, or on a studio-quality recording, I can't make a judgement either way.  Though a few bits and pieces that I was able to decipher on the vids have intrigued me, I have to wait for them to actually bring something out before I can say whether I think they are any good. 

And, on that note... I'm not holding my breath.  It is quite obvious (IMHO) that Yoshiki is completely focused on X right now.  I think its entirely possible that he is even semi-shelving VUK for the foreseeable future.  Also, with Gackt aparently going back on tour some time this year, and the 2010 deadline he's talked about coming up, not to mention Sugizo being with X at least part of the tour, it really looks like SKIN is being pushed to the very back burner.  This isn't surprising at all to me, but kind of sad. 

I think these are four incredibly talented musicians, and I think if they were all able to get their schedules together for a good chunk of time, then this is something that has great potential for being the band that will take over the world.  However, I have to admit that it has an equal potential to go out with a whimper.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:46:11 AM by Maverick »