Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki talked about Toshi & Without You in FOOL'S MATE

NanniGong · 5563

Offline NanniGong

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
It is in FOOL'S MATE interview on July 28th.
Here's a part of it in which he talked about Toshi and Without You. I can't translate it well. But I really want someone to discuss with...Here's a rough translation.

Yoshiki: Last year, Toshi suddenly made a phone call to my studio in LA....I also knew someone else who named Toshi, so I asked the staff in my studio, "Which Toshi is it? THAT Toshi?! It's impossible!" I phoned back and found it was really that Toshi. So I talked to him like "How are you? And what are you doing now?"....We had't talked to each other for 7 or 8 years at that time. And I suddenly felt very sad.

-- 7 or 8 years?

Yoshiki: Yeah. We didn't talk to each other after hide's funeral. And I had nothing to talk to him.

--.....Does it matter if I write the sentence originally as you said just now?

Yoshiki: It doesn't matter. At that time I just talked to him and suddenly felt so sad. Then I met him during my short visit to Japan. I was really busy but I tried to spare some time. We talked about X JAPAN's live but we didn't consider more. After that, we made phone calls again. I found that - as a matter fact, Toshi knew that I wrote a song for hide.

-- You mean Without You, isn't it?

Yoshiki: Yes. But I have so many things to do. So he told me through his manager that he might come to LA. I thought that I would spare him a day if he really comes here. But when he came here, I found it difficult to understand his opinion, even though we talked a lot...But I still wanted him to sing that song. He agreed instantly. So he sang it along the piano but....His voice was so nice, of course...But at that moment, I heard him singing, thinking of X, I wondered whether I should release this song or not....

-- ......(Sigh)

-- You met Toshi again after 7 or 8 years...How did it feel when you heard him singing Without You?

Yoshiki: Very beautiful. He has a really good voice.

--But you felt it difficult to understand him....?

Yoshiki: You mean the Toshi at present? In fact, I don't know. (Or "I can hardly discribe my feelings clearly". Don't know how to translate it... :( )

IMO, it seems to be quite different from what Toshi said in his interview. For example, Toshi told us, during his Shanghai concert, that he and Yoshiki were in agreement (or had the same opinion) on Without You. But Yoshiki said he couldn't understand Toshi....In the "Love With You" interview, Toshi said that it was Yoshiki who wanted to talk to him. But in FOOL'S MATE interview....
Ah.......I'm so confused.  :?

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2007, 04:09:18 PM
Well, I think it isn't confusing since it was the former manager of X who went to Toshi, telling him that Yoshiki wanted to talk to Toshi. And he also said then that it was Toshi who called Yoshiki and not the other way round.

And I guess, Yoshiki meant that he cannot understand what Toshi is talking about when he's just talking to him

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2007, 08:28:24 PM
Yes, it's confusing... but actually I've never trust Yoshiki's interviews.

Thanks for the translation =)

hi there

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 10:38:18 PM
Quote from: "NanniGong"
I found that - as a matter fact, Toshi knew that I wrote a song for hide.

-- You mean Without You, isn't it?

Yoshiki: Yes.

Ah, finally. I was always wondering whether he did or not.

Offline Mitsuko

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sparklysquee
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 03:25:14 AM
Thank goodness! It was quite tiring to watch arguments about it.  :)

Lady, lady are you ready to go?
Why do you have to be laying down?

Offline Silver_Rain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lisa-sass.de
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 10:13:34 AM
Only if it's really the correct translation of what was written  :wink:  *hides*

ww.myspace.com/lisasass

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 10:21:18 AM
Quote from: "Silver_Rain"
Only if it's really the correct translation of what was written  :wink:  *hides*

Haha, yes, I see a "Why are you posting transations what were not prooved by someone who really speaks japanese!??" comment coming...:D (No offence to anyone °_°)
I just really wonder wether this is 100% right or not  :?  (No offence to you, NanniGong, either. I don't knowabout your japanee skills)

About the toshi not understanding thing... I have no idea how yoshiki meant this...but eigther way, it doesn't sound good...*sigh*

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Silver_Rain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lisa-sass.de
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 10:58:02 AM
Quote from: "AsukaMiyu"

About the toshi not understanding thing... I have no idea how yoshiki meant this...but eigther way, it doesn't sound good...*sigh*

I think he means that he doesn't understand toshis views on possible themes they talked about. Toshi is a totally different person from whom he was back then when they were friends and yoshiki maybe doesn't understand his change (or doesn't want). It's like not finding commonalities anymore after a long time of living different lives, I guess (if you understand what I mean).

ww.myspace.com/lisasass

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:00:01 PM
Well as PN said, it's not cleared yet whether yoshiki wrote this for hide or not. too bad.. perhaps we never get to know that fact...

thank you for the clarification  :)

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 01:01:35 PM
Anyway wondered.... guess, it would have been the first time then that Yoshiki explicitely said that he wrote Without You FOR hide... (and somehow controversial related to other, earlier interviews...)

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 01:39:19 PM
Thanks for the clarification, PN!
And hurry up with your translation before I start one... :shock:
ROUGH translations from Japanese are usually faulty translations because Japanese is an extremely nuance rich language

Ah, THIS is a thing my japanese teacher already made us understand... what the position or a tiny word can change is really scary... not to speak about all that grammatical gimmicks e_e

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline NanniGong

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 02:39:14 PM
Thank you a lot PN!!!

Sorry everyone. This rough translation was translated from a Chinese translation. In fact I don't have the magazine...You're right. It's certain that there'll be mistakes. I'm sorry.

Offline Snapback

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 12:53:46 AM
Is this the Fool's Mate with Yoshiki on the cover and a Red and Purple background? The September 2007?

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 07:06:56 PM
finally had a chance to order that edition of FM. Sadly I have to wait until end of august now....