« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:51:07 AM by Maverick »

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:06:21 AM
Maybe the'll be no bass?

But well, good they are finally out of the closet. And now EVERYONE knows who the 4ht member is. And they should preform in London at the same time, I'll be in England then :D

This is my administrator color.

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:24:39 AM
First of all, SKIN is an awful name  :shock:

2nd, Yoshiki has not said who is playing what instrument.. yeah it is a bit obvious but maybe Gackt will be singing and playing bass.. or singing and playing guitar, putting Miyavi on bass. I dont think they'll play bass-less

edit: plus, they might announce a 5th member nearer the time or on the night.. who knows

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:41:30 AM
oh..looks like they are going to perform pretty soon. I'm curious about their music. It's indeed an interesting mix of styles, we got there.

The only thing I don't really like, is the bands name. SKIN... :oops:
well, in the end it'll end up in screaming GACKT, YOSHIKI, SU-CHAN, MIYAVI.. :D

let's hope we'll have some more info soon. maybe a post on Yoshiki's blog.

Offline Leo Van Newhouse

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.frappr.com/hanoirocksfrapper
Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 11:01:53 AM
Just was told of this as well. Pretty cool.

NOT FAKIN' IT!!!

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 11:29:20 AM
Sugizo announced on stage Miyavi as the member and later Miyavi played as second guitarist of Sugizo.

Great news, I wonder which songs will they play :S

hi there

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 02:19:38 PM
Quote from: "Unfinished"
SKIN,sounds like a cool name.It will definitely have more meaning to the name which I'm sure Yoshiki will speak about at some point.

It's a simple name.. and it reminds me of that other singer who was in Skunk Anansie though hehe. And reversed it's a dutch word that means "Nothing." ahah.. :|

Anyway, I can live with it. It might be an abbreviation or just four letters that each mean something different. Usually it's something totally different than what I can come up with anyway. We'll see.

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:45:34 PM
Quote from: "xScQ"

It's a simple name.. and it reminds me of that other singer who was in Skunk Anansie though hehe. And reversed it's a dutch word that means "Nothing." ahah.. :|

LOL
I thought about the same band and person like you xScQ, when I read the new band name, lol  :D

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 06:02:23 PM
Damn... I doubt this will be of my liking.. Unless Yoshiki writes all music ;)

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 06:13:01 PM
I'm not really sure about this SKIN. Probably won't be until I actually hear them. But as for now... not really that much excited, as I don't care for any of its members with the shining exception of Yoshiki.
Well, at least he's having fun.

Pony rocks!

Offline Mitsuko

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sparklysquee
Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 10:44:26 PM
That is a very short time to announce a bassist as well - unless they already have someone in mind, I suppose.

DAMN I wish I could go! ;__; It's just too expensive to get to California for a teenager of my means.

Lady, lady are you ready to go?
Why do you have to be laying down?

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 10:57:55 PM
As Bizkitroach said, Gackt is most likely playing guitar or bass. They haven't said a word about any additional member, and it would suck if they hired someone to do it.

Offline Mitsuko

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sparklysquee
Reply #12 on: May 26, 2007, 11:07:18 PM
Quote from: "alex"
As Bizkitroach said, Gackt is most likely playing guitar or bass. They haven't said a word about any additional member, and it would suck if they hired someone to do it.

I just find it somewhat hard to imagine that Gackt would be as successful on guitar/bass as he is on vocals - although I guess it could happen. It just seems strange to have him singing there at the front of the stage, simultaneously bogged down by a guitar. :\ But that's just my opinion.

Lady, lady are you ready to go?
Why do you have to be laying down?

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 11:09:44 PM
Perhaps. But, there's a lot of singers playing bass/guitar at the same time while performing vocals. It's also possible that they only have one guitarist, with Miyavi playing bass.

I just realized I can go. I'm in Las Vegas on that date, but I wouldn't bother going all the way there unless they play a full set. I dislike anime anyway ;p

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 10:48:13 AM
So no bassist, indeed. On the other side, they have Yoshiki the metronome.  
But honestly I can't see MYV on electric guitar anymore, I hated his old albums where he mas mostly playing it. And now going back from acoustic (which he's awesome with) to electric is like a step backwards.
I guess the main part of the songwriting will be by Yoshiki and Gackt, and hopefully they will somehow manage to get MYV many acoustic lines or not that many decent lines on electric guitar as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:52:08 AM by Maverick »

RIP

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2007, 10:54:45 AM
Oh I also prefer Miyavi more on acoustic than electric. I hope there will be enough parts where he gets the chance to play acoustic.

by the way: I think that miyavi would be an AWESOME bassist, if you see his guitar techniques (e.g. slapping). :D

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: "myuu"

by the way: I think that miyavi would be an AWESOME bassist, if you see his guitar techniques (e.g. slapping). :D

Maybe he will play bass in some songs, who knows. It's not like every band always needs 2 guitarists (+ there are all kinds of effects for electric guitar nowadays, e.g. Sugizo could play lead while having the rythm parts on loop)

RIP

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 27, 2007, 11:35:48 AM

Great  :D

World tour NOW!  :(

hi there

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 11:42:07 AM
Thanks for the link!
The fan(girl)s went totally crazy  :P

RIP

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 01:14:36 PM
Ahahah they sure did :P

Yoshkiiiii, what kind of music are you going to write???? :?

It feels very unlikely that it even would have a slight genre-resemblance to the old X Japan era. Damnit....

...on the other hand, his drumming style doesn't feel very "j-rock" to me.

So, I'm curious about their sound but don't have any real expectation.

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 06:52:36 PM
Was he speaking Japanese, English or Engrish? I couldnt tell. I am assuming english but fangirls are weird. He could be saying "I'M GOING TO SLAUGHTER YOUR FAMILIES" in Japanese and they'd still cheer.

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 04:51:24 PM
If Sugizo and Miyavi's preformance was anything to go by, this band will be anything but normal.  I think we'll see lots of guest musicians, and I'm pretty sure Miyavi will be on acoustic guitar for the most part like he was at the JRock Revolution.  I kind of miss electric guitar miyavi though, and hope he does a little bit of his old punk rock style again, even if it's just for 1 song or so.

: Would you jump off a bridge just because everyone else was doing it?
A: Yes, because the pile of bodies would break my fall.

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 29, 2007, 01:44:47 AM
Well Miyavi's influence is gonna be in the group whether you like it or not, especially if it's handled like X Japan and everyones gonna write some songs.  But you'll probably get your way about the punk rock thing since thats old Miyavi, and he doesn't seem like the type of person to go back to his old style, but rather keep moving ahead to newer crazier things.

By the way does anyone know if Yoshiki can still drum as good as he could in his X Japan days, or is he gonna slow it down a bit for the new band?

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: May 29, 2007, 06:29:55 AM
Quote from: "NinjaGeek"
I kind of miss electric guitar miyavi though, and hope he does a little bit of his old punk rock style again, even if it's just for 1 song or so.

MYV did NEVER do punk, if he had, I'd have liked his old stuff. It was mostly metal. Tho, he sometimes does look like a punk :P

Plus, there are great bands in EVERY music genre, and punk definitely isn't the worst out there. (not that I'd say some genre would be worth called worst)
But I'm sure that there won't be any in SKIN, assuming from what all the members' solo stuff was like so far, none of the members has a feeling for punk (anymore, that is...some very old X tracks did have a sound/feel of punk to them)

RIP

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: May 29, 2007, 10:29:29 AM
Always had trouble with classifying JRock into sub-genres because bands musical styles are so different from other countries music.  Anyways even though Miyavi's old stuff was really heavy, I usually hear from my friends that the defining line between Rock and Metal isn't how heavy it is but the song structure.  I don't know enough music theory to tell the difference 100%, but I can usually get an idea for the general sound of the song.  Miyavi's stuff never sounded like metal to me even though it was just as heavy, and I hear him referred to as punk rock a lot.  Just like how Dir En Grey is really hardcore but still considered rock due to the structure, while less hardcore bands like X Japan and Sex Machineguns are metal.

Maybe I'm just spouting nonsense though, I dunno.  I plan to take some music theory courses in college and maybe then I'll understand how it all works.

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: May 29, 2007, 10:42:07 AM
Believe me, I don't know that much music theory either ;), but I do listen to many different kinds of music and I know how punk sounds (of course, not every punk band sounds the same but you definitely can hear it when it's punk). MYV's old stuff is far away from punk, it sounds like a mixture of metal (not sure about the sub-genre, metal as well has too many), industrial and maybe even emocore. Plus, I don't think you can define punk just by the sound but also by the content of the lyrics, the look of the musicians, their lifestyle and so on. So while he might have the look of a punk, he doesn't have the sound.

RIP

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: May 29, 2007, 10:52:11 AM
Heh I'll just stick to calling him JRock(which is one of the reasons I love the genre it's so diverse it kind of throws out sub-genres cause you can go completely insane trying to label each JRock band with a sub-genre).  And I'll just say I miss Miyavi's heavier stuff on electric guitar.

Anyways back on the subject of SKIN, I'm really hoping that they do 1 of 2 things.  A, each artist gets to do some songs of their own style but of course with some influence from the others so it's not exactly the same as their older stuff, and it ends up being a very diverse band that covers many different genres.  Or B, where they combine all their styles into a new never before seen style of JRock thats completely kick ass and flexible.  Or who knows maybe both.

But if any 1 artist gets too much control I'll be severely disappointed.  Especially Gackt who I'm not really a fan of, and especially not a fan of his influence on Malice Mizer.  Trying to learn to like him though since he is really talented, but he's not really my style.

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: May 29, 2007, 12:23:25 PM
I think you missed of the point Unfinished said a Selfish love like acoustic solo as seen here.  In other words having Yoshiki's masterful composition skills blend Sugizo and Miyavi's amazing guitar talents into 1 completely new amazing never before seen song.  No one is suggesting a cover anywhere.

You seem a bit jumpy PN whenever it comes to the subject of Miyavi having any influence over the band.  I think you have to get used to the fact that while Miyavi won't be controlling the band, Yoshiki recruited him for HIS style not to make him do something thats completely different than what he does best.[/url][/u]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:53:11 AM by Maverick »

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: May 29, 2007, 02:02:08 PM
Don't know if this has been posted but the name is S.K.I.N. not Skin (that's what Gackt website says).
http://www.dears.ne.jp/home.html

hi there

Offline NinjaGeek

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: May 29, 2007, 07:43:26 PM
Never knew class of the artist was brought into the discussion.  I'm well aware that Miyavi isn't in the same class as the others, they all reshaped the JRock industry, especially Yoshiki, and Miyavi is just the new guy.  I do however think he is still an above average musician and can be extremely diverse and creative.  I think his style and ideas will add a lot to the music even if he's not in the same class.  I'm more excited to see at what amazing things they'll all be able to produce together, rather than what each individual one does.