Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi’s Musical Style?

ambrosial · 1830

Offline ambrosial

• View Profile
on: December 22, 2009, 08:46:38 AM
This is an authorized copy of a chinese Toshi fan's work. I'd like to share it with everyone.

Author:Toyome
Translated by:honey cookies
First posted at TOSHI's Paper-Clip   (this is a chinese Toshi fansite)

The 1st single: Made In HEAVEN

As the first two released songs that have also been included in his 1st album, Made In HEAVEN, I would like to mention the “c.w.” Welcome to My Destiny first. Rather than describe its musical style as “on the Healing-Kei side”, the song is nothing but a inspiring one. Regardless of the lyric, just to learn from its PV, you can find wonderful, various ways of life led by various people: students, painters, dancers and rock bands struggling for their dreams. Moreover, each single passer-by in the street leaves you the impression as courageous, positive and hardworking, pursuing their dreams through every bit of life. Even if they may not reach the peak at one go, their efforts is enough to touch our hearts. “All that put in hard work seriously, welcome to my destiny.” In the lively tune, the vocalist Toshi’s unique way of singing (notes lifting like staircase) has been the most impressive part of the song. In this way, supported by his steady voice, we’re inspired to go ahead step by step, towards the peak in our hearts.

Then Made In HEAVEN. In this song, the soft tunes and gentle voice seems to calm all clamour and anxiety. And the guitar part featuring PATA and hide shows more melodiousness, as if treading on the soft clouds of Heaven. The PV is similar to Welcome to My Destiny, spiced with many ordinary people. As the lyric goes, “いまがあるために/信じるまま ひらく扉 /心が気がつけば/聴こえる声がある/すべてを抱きしめるとき/YOUR LOVE … MY LOVE…/WE ARE THE HEAVEN”, even if we speak different languages in different voices, we’re holding the same dream. From my point of view, what Toshi wanted to express lies in the line that “to embrace all”, to reach the Heaven we long for through music – at this point, It’s generally the same to what Toshi expressed in his music during Utatabi period. As is mentioned before, this song is composed by Toshi himself. “無限の愛と感謝を込めて”, the sentence that was frequently mentioned by Toshi during his solo period has presumably been already contained in the sense of this earlier work. To embrace it all with love and thanks, even though it may had been painful and hard - Only because of it, such beautiful melodies can be composed.

The 2nd Album: MISSION

To talk about the most impressive song, Always comes first. (The single version is called Always~伝えたい~.) As an album which Toshi collaborated so much with the heavy metal band NIGHT HAWKS, its sense of rock is strong, especially in Always. Toshi’s singing in a heavy metal style is perfect, and the lyric is consistently positive. Along with melodies created by NIGHT HAWKS, it seems to awake all the spirits inside your body – “I’m always holding my heart.” It’s quite a powerful song. As for NIGHT HAWKS, the guitar part is worth high praise. The feeling of metal is also strengthened by the effect of keyboard, sparkles with fricative sounds.

Speaking of NIGHT HAWKS, the song they collaborate with Toshi should be mentioned - 泣いているのは, a single released under the name of NIGHT HAWKS with Toshi. It has never been included in any album, probably because it’s so different from other collaborative songs. Aoki Shuichi acts as the leading vocals, Toshi the backing. Rough and bold, Aoki’s voice is quite manful. In comparison, Toshi’s voice sounds to be really mild. Aoki can be distinguished clearly from their harmony, while Toshi’s backing vocals with cooled singing and high notes adds more lasting charms to this song. They coordinated very well, thus again proves Toshi’s “suitable-to-every” musical style. - Yeah, a NIGHT HAWKS-ish song.

The 3rd Album: GRACE

The song GRACE which shares the same title with the album is consistently graceful. The piano has been always in harmony with Toshi’s magnetic voice. Without drumbeats, the leisurely accompaniment of acoustic guitar is still in excellent taste. Such is GRACE, an impressive work that helps you ignore unpleasant, noisy surroundings and get rid of depression. The word “grace” has another meaning of thanksgiving, while this song also has the implication of hopes and longings. According to Toshi’s music style at that time, the word “無限の愛と感謝を込めて” has previously been an essential part of Toshi’s works.

Rain and Tears has delicate tunes and its atmosphere is good for a quite bar. The saxophone occupies the major part of the song, while there is also a tone of sorrow in Toshi’s steady voice. For this reason, the song gives a picture of sitting a dim bar, patter of rain outside, grief and tears inside, wine at hand but unable to drink any more.

As a prime of his career, official goods during the GRACE period include puff lets, T-shirts, ZIPPOs, guitar picks, etc. The symbol of GRACE, a cross altered from the letter “T”, again confirms the meaning of thanksgiving in the title “GRACE”. As for Toshi himself, who seems to favour ornaments in cross shape, always to be seen wearing a cross on his neck from then until the present, carrying it with him - Indeed, Toshi has never changed since then.

The 4th Album: 碧い宇宙の旅人

With the same title of the Album, the song 碧い宇宙の旅人 best corresponds with the cover’s artistic conception. In the deep forest, the traveler transforms his longings and sorrow to lyric, sings it out in a soft voice, and dissolves his emotions in the air. Piano at the opening of the song will amaze you and the flute will echo in your ears, the violin sounds to be so graceful. Such beautiful tunes will draw you closer and closer to the embrace of nature, into the peaceful and fresh world of green.

星の舞踏会, a lively song, is perfect for listening lying on a grassland under the night sky: Eyes closed, the smell of grass caressing your face, stars shining above your head, drums beating in your ears… Your heart seems to be cleared, beating cheerfully. This mood will become a smile. Violin plays an essential part again; its simple elegance corresponds to the album’s overall style.

Perhaps as an indication his turning to Healing-Kei, 碧い宇宙の旅人 is beautiful, gentle and especially pure. As for both Toshi’s singing and the music in those songs, even if they may sound generally similar, they’re all different and each has its unique meaning, if you listen to it carefully.

(Live Is Best and Single Selection Sacrifice can be omitted here, for Live Is Best is the live versions of songs and Sacrifice is a collection of released singles.)

The 6th Album: CANARY

Without doubt, 幻の少年 fascinates many listeners. Like the striking of bell coming from a distant church, the opening of the song sounds quiet and long-stretched. Then the tunes echo again and again, as if opening the prelude of sadness. When Toshi’s voice comes out, the atmosphere is still quiet and mild. His voice, as if with scars inside, becomes more and more sorrowful, like crying without tears. Painful, but there’s no way to release; only by crying out loud can ease the depression a little. Shoulders seem to be weakened in such soughing melodies, shivering with the music. Soon afterwards, the heavy tunes of violin and drums, which coordinate perfectly, telling of the eagerness to get rid of all the misery. As they turn down, Toshi’s voice sounds again. However, this time his voice contains nothing but deeper sorrow. Keep mourning, cannot escape, the sharp pains even overlaps. Whatever how hard it is, still unable to weep. Being caught in a mist, unable to escape, no way out… The violin keeps on repeating the bitter, freezing tone, blowing all the emotions away and into the throat, which had been torn apart in cries. The cries tear the scars apart, leaving them undisguised. In the end, all return in peace with Toshi’s perfect singing. The song draws to a close in the preceding striking of church bell. Being rescued or not? Only Heaven knows.

壞れた世界でカナリアは歌う is a unique piece of music, mainly performed through spoken poem. Various kinds of instrument mix together, with percussion instruments beating out the main rhythm, build up a style of funk. Maybe because of the relatively quick spoken poem, Toshi’s singing has a really outstanding tone, and the melody itself is magnificent. For his vocal cords had been operated before, the metal feeling in Toshi’s voice has reduced, but still very powerful. Unlike幻の少年, this song is more positive and cheerful.

CANARY, as an album in unique style, perhaps is not the most favoured one in your heart, but without doubt the most worth listening. In this album, Traditional Japanese and western instruments bonding together, produce a fine complex with abundant tastes. Just like the song泣いているのは, you can catch a glimpse of Toshi’s “suitable-to-every” musical style through CANARY.

Then comes the Healing-Kei. I’d like to talk about the new released song, EARTH IN THE DARK ~青空にむかって~.

As a work done by MASAYA - excludes my emotional prejudice towards him - the song is good. I’ve been holding the opinion that Toshi’s sharp high notes as in Utatabi period, if without strong instrumental accompaniment, will be too keen, as if soaring above everything. Such is the Utatabi music’s biggest weakness. So I still believe that singing Utatabi songs is a waste of Toshi’s good voice, which should be more “firm on the ground” than “soaring above”. Perhaps some people can be healed by such music, but compared with his steady voice during early solo and X (JAPAN) period, Utatabi sounds hollow and uncertain, thus make it hard for X freaks to understand.

As for EARTH IN THE DARK ~青空にむかって~, the accompaniment is much more refined than Utatabi songs, with band music like guitars and drums, embellished by the sound of piano. As Toshi says, the song suits him so well. His voice becomes sonorous and powerful again. The characteristic of his voice during early solo reappears. After 10 years of steeling, Toshi’s singing becomes more skilled. I have to say that this song really amazed me. As Toshi’s origin is rock music, his voice harmonizes with the guitars and drums very well. Just as “suitable-to-every” Toshi says, there will be many possibilities in his singing. This song marks a new beginning of Toshi’s career, with memories and deep thoughts reappear in his singing.

Finally, X JAPAN’s Without You.

Until now, Without You has been performed 3 times on the “I.V~破滅に向かって~” 3-day lives. X JAPAN is without doubt skillful. Toshi and Yoshiki as friends since childhood had been out of touch for quite a few years. It’s said Yoshiki wrote this song waiting for Toshi to sing it. After years’ interval, the fans eventually waited till his perfect performance, which is so precious to us. And Toshi himself has confirmed his great ability as X JAPAN’s vocalist. His voice still touches our hearts. In TOKYO DOME, after 3740 days of departure, his singing with metal feelings sounded again, as if to embrace all the audience, telling his emotions throughout these years. Yoshiki’s piano sounds like dripping tears - sadness, along with cherished memories of their lost friend. Their cooperation is always so perfect.

Songs in various styles sung by one person – his voice, his love and thanks, coming from his heart and soul, as time goes by, gives us different impressions during his different periods. Maybe it’s the advantage as a “suitable-to-every”: through his works, we are able to get a glimpse of his various characteristics.

Thank you for reading it~~~
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:57:50 AM by ambrosial »

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 02:41:35 PM
I love this excerpt.  I sometimes feel overwhelmed with uncontrollable emotion at X's songs.  This describes that feeling very well (even though I don't quite know what "metal feelings" means).

"It’s said Yoshiki wrote this song waiting for Toshi to sing it. After years’ interval, the fans eventually waited till his perfect performance, which is so precious to us. And Toshi himself has confirmed his great ability as X JAPAN’s vocalist. His voice still touches our hearts. In TOKYO DOME, after 3740 days of departure, his singing with metal feelings sounded again, as if to embrace all the audience, telling his emotions throughout these years. Yoshiki’s piano sounds like dripping tears - sadness, along with cherished memories of their lost friend. Their cooperation is always so perfect".

We are X!!!!!