Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan World Tour @ Riviera Theatre, Chicago, IL - October 6th

Sander · 28020

Offline Chio

• View Profile
Reply #30 on: October 06, 2010, 04:56:15 AM

*something something IN THE OCEAAAAN!!! something something LIKE THE JAAAAAAAAAAAAADE*

I can't learn song lyrics for my life.

I really wanted Rose of Pain! From what I've heard, Yoshiki doesn't participate in Drain. He probably needs the break... doctor's orders...? We're getting Rusty Nail and Kurenai, me so happyyyy, and I'm a sucker for power ballads. <3

My complaints are mainly the organization for this venue... no VIP tix, no seating, no numbered tix for the pit, etix and the riv never answered mails nor phone calls...

Other than that, I'm just thankful I'm finally getting the chance to see X JAPAN LIVE. I'll take any song they want to play! They could play Disney songs and I'd still RRROCK and scream and writher and wriggle till the last note note.

Well, good  night all! See you tomorrow in line!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #31 on: October 06, 2010, 06:57:34 PM
"X Japan, Defining Epic" at the Chicagoist http://chicagoist.com/2010/10/06/x_japan_is_truly_epic.php

This is my administrator color.

Offline emikoishida

• View Profile
Reply #32 on: October 06, 2010, 11:05:53 PM
My friend and I walked around to every Chicago hotel today and yesterday (our school had no school yesterday) but we couldn't find any fans. Like, when they were playing in Lollapalooza there were tons of fans outside the Ritz Carlton Hotel.  There's a HUGE Asian population at my school but I know only one person going. I wanted to but I had the ACT the next day. T_T I would've only gotten like three hours of sleep. Plus the Riv is in a very bad neighborhood so my mom would've flipped out. XP

And I felt like something was going to happen to Yoshiki sooner or later. He doesn't really seem to take care of himself, plus from here on out the concert schedule is like, day after day. As much as I hate to say it, I don't know how well that show in Canada is gonna go tomorrow.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: October 07, 2010, 12:57:12 AM
My friend and I walked around to every Chicago hotel today and yesterday (our school had no school yesterday) but we couldn't find any fans. Like, when they were playing in Lollapalooza there were tons of fans outside the Ritz Carlton Hotel.  There's a HUGE Asian population at my school but I know only one person going. I wanted to but I had the ACT the next day. T_T I would've only gotten like three hours of sleep. Plus the Riv is in a very bad neighborhood so my mom would've flipped out. XP

And I felt like something was going to happen to Yoshiki sooner or later. He doesn't really seem to take care of himself, plus from here on out the concert schedule is like, day after day. As much as I hate to say it, I don't know how well that show in Canada is gonna go tomorrow.

Noooo don't say things like that! >_< We don't know exactly how Yoshiki is and we will soon find out based on the Chicago show. BE POSITIVE :D

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: October 07, 2010, 04:21:09 AM
Soo..any news on the Chicago show? I assume setlist was same but more importantly, how was/is Yoshiki?!

Offline HerrAmn

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #35 on: October 07, 2010, 04:26:42 AM
From what I'm reading, the show was amazing, but after Art of Life apparently Without You was playing on the speakers? Did the band come out and do the curtain call with Forever Love as they've been doing so with the rest of the tour?

say anything /// tachikirenai kokoro ni

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: October 07, 2010, 04:35:47 AM
For some reason I understood that it was playing on the speakers BEFORE the live starts...?
I didn't notice many twitter updates for tonight's show though...T_T
Waiting for news from t hose who attended....

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline HerrAmn

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: October 07, 2010, 04:53:37 AM
According to this, the setlist was the same:

say anything /// tachikirenai kokoro ni

Offline valkyrie

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #38 on: October 07, 2010, 06:00:32 AM
Just got home from the show. It was glorious, though maybe it was 1000 people at best (balcony section wan't even occupied). We got pretty close, I would say 3 people away from the stage, off to the right railing. Opened with Jade, ran through the old saws like Rusty Nail, Drain, and ended a truncated version of Art of Life that featured Yoshiki showboating on the piano for the first 7 minutes. Yoshiki crowd surfed during the last song, twice. But the highlight of the evening was me grabbing Yoshiki's tossed water bottle! Lucky!

CharonCaori

Reply #39 on: October 07, 2010, 06:18:48 AM
Yoshiki crowd surfed during the last song, twice. But the highlight of the evening was me grabbing Yoshiki's tossed water bottle! Lucky!
Wow. He actually managed it this time? He didn't get eaten alive by fangirls? I really want to see video of this.
And congrats on the water bottle! What an awesome souvenir.

Offline darthchilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 09:31:15 AM
Seems like California and Vancouver had the biggest showing
Vancouver was like..99% soldout

then again Vancouver has ALOT of X merchandise and CDs ready to buy LOCALLY...
also helps that theres a rich history with Japanese people during the WWII

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 09:52:20 AM
Thank you Chicago:

http://twitpic.com/2vcezm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:31:27 AM by Hypno »

This is my administrator color.

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 10:43:42 AM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fih4i1H2IGU[/youtube]

Sounds like there a "new" solo, at least not the hide one played in playback

Btw, anyone got the english lyrics for Rusty Nail?

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 12:48:25 PM
That new solo is horrible, most of the time is sounds like his "wah wah wah" type solo, there's only a couple of moments where it slightly resembles the original solo.

I really hope that this is only because they're recording this show for dvd release and Sugizo didn't have time to learn the real solo so he had to play that crap instead.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 12:52:34 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 01:20:13 PM
The more live the better. So no matter how it sounds, it is an improvement in term of live-quality-concert-experience.

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 01:51:00 PM

toshi pulled it out again in the beginning again

Ex denxdenx

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 02:06:34 PM
@Rusty Nail

awesome, sugizo playes the solo and toshi sings the last refrain in japanese after he noticed that the crowd sings it in japanese

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 02:21:58 PM
Yoshiki did state dive 2 times, my husband do twitter for me. We lost away in first day and had difficult time.

Concert was great, I was busy with vdo and pothos until missed many shots.I would like to share my short vdo to Thai fans too

so I try my best to took photos.I learned many mistake from my trip,I need to prepare more.

They sold T-shirt and $30, wrist band  $10, Jacket $60.

In Chicago, no pro cam, no flash, no glow stick.

I am so sorry for did not report.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 02:39:01 PM by bahbah »

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 03:28:02 PM
Sugizo didn't have time to learn the real solo so he had to play that crap instead.

Do you really think that after all the time being in X Japan, he didn't learn it, or was asked too (in order of playing it live when theyll stop using hide track, if they do so oneday) ?
Sound impossible for me that he just do not know it

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 04:14:39 PM
I think the playbacks are being used because Yoshiki is hide's widow. "Oh my life will never be the same without him".
But as he never played, and from one concert to another, like, 2 days, he started to play. Seems like improvised to me.

But it's a huge move forward. Listen to Jade on Tokyo Dome 2009 and Jade today. Really improved. I think he can improve a lot. Sugizo is a great guitarist. He can play perfectly other solos harder than Rusty Nail (Silent Jealousy, ex.). I think is just about time.

My hope to see a 100% live concert is returning again.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 04:29:11 PM
Sugizo didn't have time to learn the real solo so he had to play that crap instead.

Do you really think that after all the time being in X Japan, he didn't learn it, or was asked too (in order of playing it live when theyll stop using hide track, if they do so oneday) ?

Well if he does already know how to play it, that means he's trying to 'Sugify' the already made/popular guitar solos, which is not what we expect or want from him, we want X japan, to remain with the sound of X Japan, I can understand the new songs sounding different, and being influenced by Sugizo's sound, but he should leave the old solos well alone and just play them like they are on the studio versions, while adding slight differences every live, like all guitarists do. If he's now trying to make all the old songs/solos sound like his unique playing style this is very bad news. He played the Silent Jealousy solo perfectly, just play them like that, don't change the sound.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 05:30:13 PM
Sorry to hear the crowd was so small, and no glow sticks? WTF is up with THAT!? Glad to hear Yoshiki felt safe enough to crowd surf though.

Not keen on the new Rusty Nail solo yet, but as it grows with Sugizo and the band, it might grow on me. And Toshi's voice on Silent Jealousy was amazing. So happy to hear the crowd singing from the beginning of the concert through.

@darthchilli: If the thread for Massey Hall Thread in Toronto tonight is any indication, they are going to fill the hall with X Freaks alone. lol 

Offline MiXu

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 05:35:11 PM
Did sugizo play the kurenai solo?

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 06:46:13 PM

Well if he does already know how to play it, that means he's trying to 'Sugify' the already made/popular guitar solos, which is not what we expect or want from him, we want X japan, to remain with the sound of X Japan, I can understand the new songs sounding different, and being influenced by Sugizo's sound, but he should leave the old solos well alone and just play them like they are on the studio versions, while adding slight differences every live, like all guitarists do. If he's now trying to make all the old songs/solos sound like his unique playing style this is very bad news. He played the Silent Jealousy solo perfectly, just play them like that, don't change the sound.

I agree with you but maybe he was asked to do so. I clearly prefer him to play the solo we all know and love instead of this version

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 07:11:04 PM
But there's freaking out when they use hide playback rather than allowing Sugizo to play? I don't really understand that logic whatsoever-- he plays it his way or he doesn't play it. The way it was originally played was hide's way, not Sugizo's way. Thinking that it's going to sound the same is just silly.

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #55 on: October 07, 2010, 07:20:12 PM
hide=past. Sugizo=future. And we want X to have a future RIGHT?!

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline autumnglitter

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #56 on: October 07, 2010, 07:51:57 PM
I agree, it's time to move on.  Sugizo is a great guitarist, I trust him. The same goes for Heath. It's bugging me to hear which one is better... They're all great and they each has their own style and I prefer to hear how they do it their own :)

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #57 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:38 PM
It seems X fans can never be pleased....XD
There's hide playback? People whine Sugizo should play since it's a live concert...
Sugizo plays? People whine that he changed the way the solo sounds.
If he had actually played it the exact way hide did....there would people whining that he's just a copycat and doesn't add anything new to the band.

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline DopeHead

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #58 on: October 07, 2010, 08:09:52 PM
There's hide playback? People whine Sugizo should play since it's a live concert...
If he had actually played it the exact way hide did....there would people whining that he's just a copycat and doesn't add anything new to the band.
Exactly my thoughts :D We should be happy that they are finally back.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #59 on: October 07, 2010, 08:17:39 PM

Very thrue  :D
X fans are hard to be pleased!!!
But I must say that I too, I hope Sugizo will play this solo from Rusty Nail more beautiful with the time! I can not say that it is my prefered Sugizo guitarversion!!!
(I am that much X-ed those days with all those concerts, that I logged in with X freaks instead of my name LOL And I didn't understand why I couldn't log in!!!)