• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

drugs

sora2252 · 10221

Offline sora2252

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • twitter
on: March 11, 2011, 06:35:06 AM
I was talking to a friend who said that hide had crystal meth in his system when he died. I don't remember ever seeing this anywhere. Has anyone heard anything about it? What about the other members? I've never heard of any of them getting into really bad drugs, but does anyone know otherwise?

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:23 AM
I've never heard that before. I only know that he apparently had alcohol in his system when he died.

As for the entire band, I only know that some of the members smoke and/or drink.

>~X~<

Offline Hyunkel

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 01:49:53 PM
hide was drunk when he died but I never heard of anything like crystal meth

And yes, they all smoke/drink more or less.

..Close your eyes and I'll kill you in the rain...

...Art of Life An Eternal Bleeding Heart...

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 06:55:03 PM
I was talking to a friend who said that hide had crystal meth in his system when he died. I don't remember ever seeing this anywhere. Has anyone heard anything about it? What about the other members? I've never heard of any of them getting into really bad drugs, but does anyone know otherwise?

I've never, ever heard that. I can say with absolute certainty that the official information released regarding Hide's toxicology reports from the post mortem concluded that the only drug substance in his blood stream was alcohol, but even in the immediate aftermath of his death such news was hardly a revelation - it was already common knowledge.

To me, the only real matter of intrigue regarding Hide's death is the circumstances in which it took place. The police labelled the matter as being "Suicide", but then later changed their stance and labelled it as "Death by misadventure" at the apparent behest of Hide's family. As for what "misadventure" actually pertains to in this circumstance remains the subject of conjecture to this day, but for the police to change their stance on his death they must have felt that there was sufficient evidence enough to prove that his death was unintentional.

Offline sora2252

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • twitter
Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:07:02 PM
This is good. exactly what i wanted to hear. i'm not even sure why i cared so much but i was troubled if it had been true. maybe i like x a little to much now haha! of course i wish hide never passed and was still giving us much today, but i am glad that their was no horrible drugs involved.

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:11 PM
honestly, i'm sure that at least some of them tried other besides alocohol/smoking. you know, yoshiki named his record label EXTASY records.. lol ;) nevertheless i'm also sure that they didn't exaggerate it with those things :)

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 06:12:51 PM
I will not say anything :)

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:33:48 PM
Never ever heard about Hide and drugs, it´s common knowledge that Hide was a heavy drinker, started very early in his lifetime, and it seems that he was so heavy drunken the morning he passed away that he was never able to make any decision, so that´s surely not a suicide, but an accident,
about the other members; it´s reported somewhere that Taiji got experience with cocain, but now adays, when I got it right from his blog he seems to stop drinking and smoking because of his unstable health condition ( but I won´t take oath on that, because my japanese is very poor)

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline radicalblues

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 10:13:40 PM
Well, alcohol IS a drug, just a legal one. But we all know how dangerous it is.

It's so sad to see young and talented people throwing their lives to the shitter because of alcohol. Let this be a lesson for everyone.

Offline XVikyX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:03 PM
Well, alcohol IS a drug, just a legal one. But we all know how dangerous it is.

It's so sad to see young and talented people throwing their lives to the shitter because of alcohol. Let this be a lesson for everyone.
I cannot but agree

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. (c)

Offline elanor

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 11:17:26 PM
@ radicalblues and XVikyX: you both are absolutly right, so I make it precise: Never heard about Hide and other drugs than alcohol....

Humans need to believe in things that aren´t true. How else can they  become? (Terry Pratchett -Hogfather)

Offline Zach Attack

• View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 09:07:57 PM
Yoshiki used to do speed in the 80s and early 90s....it was talked about in someone's book, I forget whose, maybe Taiji's? He said it helped him play faster (lol) i think its pretty obvious that Taiji did tons of drugs

Offline MadMiyu

• Sunday Listener
  • 「君の孤独を薔薇に変えて」
    • View Profile
    • Rantings of a bassist...
Reply #12 on: April 21, 2011, 10:28:24 PM
hmm... I think, in the music industry in Japan, especially the earlier years when VK was more or less an 'underground' thing and even today, a lot of drugs is used by bands as well as audience... even in a strict country as Japan... these things just happen I guess..... and as for musicians, it can indeed have effect (good or bad) on one's playing....  I don't approve of drugs, because a lot of my friends got really messed up (it's holland after all) because of it, but it's inevitable, isn't it?

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 05:43:49 AM
Taiji and the white powder is pretty well-known, though I remember Yoshiki recently doing an interview about going to the US underground scene, people asking him for "X", him saying, "Yes, we are X." Then, the people would go "Ecstasy?" and he would get excited and say "Yes! Extasy!!" And apparently the person just sighed and gave up.

Drugs are a big thing in the industry, at least back then. I think it's very clean now (anyone remember how fast L'arc's stuff was pulled off the shelves when one of the members was found with drugs?) at least in the front, but who the hell really knows what they're on, or if they're on anything.

I remember reading that Toshi had a mild addiction to meds when he recently went through the throat issues, but who really knows.

Offline MadMiyu

• Sunday Listener
  • 「君の孤独を薔薇に変えて」
    • View Profile
    • Rantings of a bassist...
Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 09:11:13 AM
we can only guess... and know what's been released publicly...

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 22, 2011, 02:37:34 PM
X were a metal band known for their excesses back in the late 80's especially during the time of Vanishing Vision. They were basically a bunch of rowdy drunk musicians who spent so much money on alcohol or destructive rampages that they were unable to sleep in hotels and had to stay in local parks after their gigs. Given these circumstances I'd say it is almost certain that the band members both came into contact with and consumed a variety of illegal substances.

What we do know, however, is that by the time mainstream success was attained the band members settled down dramatically and appeared to use drugs, if any, seldom and in ways which would never become a habit (with the exception of Taiji, which apparently played a hand in Yoshiki firing him). In fact, by the time Yoshiki bought a studio in LA in 1992 he had pretty much given up alcohol entirely to allow him to better focus on his work. Toshi doesn't drink and hasn't for many, many years (although Yoshiki said recently they shared a bottle of wine, so I guess he dabbles from time to time).

Pata and Hide were well known to be alcoholics. Yoshiki's biography states in no uncertain terms "Hide was an alcohol addict, and occurances of him running into trouble were not uncommon", and in a 1999 Fools Mate interview Yoshiki said of Pata "He was always drinking and just asked to be left alone".

Heath is a bit of an enigma, but he certainly used to like a drink - infamously when he tried out for X Japan he turned up stinking of alcohol and very hungover, much to the disdain of Yoshiki.

As for Sugizo, he used to be a little bit of a loose cannon. Back in the early days of Luna Sea, him, Hide and J used to spend their days off drinking in parks. He was known for his wild excesses and gained the reputation of being an extremely difficult and selfish person to be around and to work with, it is only in the past 10 years or so that he has chilled out considerably after feeling the burden of responsibility from the birth of his daughter. When SKIN was announced a lot of people in Japan were dumfounded as to how Sugizo and Gackt could be in a band together given the violent hatred the two had for each other in the past. Also, as a side note, if you look back into old pictures of Sugizo he has a "coke nail" - I think that pretty much explains itself.

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 06:45:19 AM
Heath is a bit of an enigma, but he certainly used to like a drink - infamously when he tried out for X Japan he turned up stinking of alcohol and very hungover, much to the disdain of Yoshiki.

Whoa, seriously? Lol, oh my. I wish we knew more details about Heath's past! He needs to stop being so quiet.

>~X~<

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 12:15:50 PM
Yeah, it's quite a well known thing that when Heath was first introduced to the rest of X Japan he didn't make a very good impression. Heath was one of Hide's friends who had been trying his luck as a musician for quite some time in Tokyo (and was actually employed by Extasy Records at one point to package copies of Vanishing Vision to earn himself a little money to get by), and was invited, by Hide, to audition for the vacant bassist slot. However, when he turned up he was bleary eyed, hungover and stinking of alcohol and the band instantly questioned his attitude.

Offline blue_roses

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 09:58:37 PM
Wow... Sorry if this is a newb-ish question but how did he become X Japan's bassist then?

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:48 AM
One would think that'd all be speculation, but I would think it'd prolly be because of hide's push.

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 06:56:45 AM
Wait... Sugizo and Gackt hated one another? Info on this?

And yeah, I've seen pictures of Sugizo back during Luna Sea times--talk about a hot mess (not hot as in sexy, but hot as in 'dude stop with the drugs and partying!') and well, the band back in the 80s and 90s were very much into the drug scene. I think they probably mellowed out by now-- Yoshiki can't because of his neck, Toshi because of his health, Pata's drank his fair share and I doubt this will change, who knows about Heath, and Sugizo seems to be very 'pg-13' as he's taken responsibility of fathering a child into the world.

So, *shrug* I doubt they'd get caught doing the stuff they did in their mid-twenties now.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 07:32:36 PM
Wait... Sugizo and Gackt hated one another? Info on this?

During the sole S.K.I.N show in 2007 Gackt put his arm around Sugizo and said to the crowd "I used to hate this guy, now we're like brothers". There's footage of it on Youtube if you look dig deep enough, but it was widely reported at the time.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 07:39:27 PM
Here's a little more on that from a JRR Interview with Sugizo:

http://www.jrockrevolution.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=175

Not too long after that, you went to perform with S.K.I.N. at Anime Expo. When Gackt introduced you, he said "Two years ago I hated this guy but now he's my best friend." A lot of people thought that was really funny. So, what's your side of the story?

SUGIZO: *Laugh* Gackt? Now he's my good friend. Definitely. When we met first time, we were fighting. I don't know why. *Laugh* I didn't like him at first, and he didn't like me either. But now he's my best friend

And about Sugizo's old self:

What kind of a person would you say you were?

SUGIZO: Very selfish. Very stubborn. Very violent. Maybe until I was 26 or 27, I was a very bad guy; very heavy drinker, and usually fighting, because I hated so many people, I hated humans. Maybe I had many problems in my heart.