X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki in the top ten of Best Rock Drummers!

Layla_Black · 18423

Offline Layla_Black

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fotolog.com/natsuko_koizumi
on: May 19, 2008, 08:18:39 AM
Looking by the Ned I found this webpage where you can choose the top ten in many categories.

I thought I would be only made with american musicians but what a wonderful surprise when I found Yoshiki in the best drummers list!  8)
And he's nearly in the seventh position! (Althought I think he could be in the first ^^)

Let's vote for him!

http://www.the-top-tens.com/lists/best-rock-drummers.asp

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 08:25:53 AM
I have no idea how concise/metered that website is, but it's nice to see him there. Then again, Shinya from Dir en grey is higher than him, so instantly I dislike that list.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:29:12 AM
Quote from: "Beauty/Broken"
I have no idea how concise/metered that website is, but it's nice to see him there. Then again, Shinya from Dir en grey is higher than him, so instantly I dislike that list.

I really know nothing about Dir en Grey but I assume the reason the drum is higher has something to do with the fact that they have released music state side so their stuff is more available than X Japan?....I could be entirely wrong...

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 08:34:30 AM
Quote from: "mC"
Quote from: "Beauty/Broken"

I really know nothing about Dir en Grey but I assume the reason the drum is higher has something to do with the fact that they have released music state side so their stuff is more available than X Japan?....I could be entirely wrong...

Probably, but this list isn't as objective as it could/should be; I also think the website which displays it is somewhat unreliable on that account. Also, my dislike for Dir en Grey isn't exactly objective either, so you should take any comments which I make regarding them "with a pinch of salt" as so to speak.  :P

Offline Belial

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 08:48:05 AM
I voted for Yukihiro... Yoshiki is great and all that, but hey, he is NOT a god or something. Is not that I think Yukihiro is better than Yoshiki, but he is close...

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 03:47:08 PM
hmmm. how people decide who is the best? how good the technique? how fast? or something else? for me, i just want the drum sounds suit to the song, thats it. i think most yoshiki drumming sounds suit to X Japan song and produce an awesome rock music. how about shinya, i dont really like dir and grey song. even if people got better technique on that song, but the song sounds awful, what for?

Ex denxdenx

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 04:13:32 PM
Random.

Roger Taylor and the drummer of 30 Seconds to Mars on the same list? Speaking of one being not like the other... :?

Obviously this list was made by someone who enjoys (well known) Japanese bands and western Metal/Hard Rock...and that random stuff like 30STM, Greenday etc. (but hey, there was also Muse and the Mars Volta)

Yoshiki is a cool drummer, without any doubt, but as others said lack of range is his major problem.

I voted for Chad Gaylord Smith, btw.  8)

RIP

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:40:12 PM
ehmm,lack of range and creativity, well said. but still, vote for yoshiki.

X Japan listed number 45 in greatest rock band, lol

Ex denxdenx

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 05:57:10 PM
Voted for Yoshiki.

I don't really care who's the best drummer, but Yoshiki is my favorite drummer.  As others have said, he's not a particularly creative drummer, but I'll take Yoshiki's passion, aggression, and drama over anyone's "impressive technical chops", any day.

And naturally he's the only Japanese METAL drummer on the list... :roll:  Where's Munetaka Higuchi?

Also, randomly, when it comes to Japanese rock/semi-visual/etc. drummers, Takeo from Pierrot is excellent, extremely creative and consistently overlooked.  He'll probably be forgotten entirely now that Pierrot broke up, but seriously, listen to him on Agitator...

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 10:01:14 PM
Sorry, don't beat me for that... but I voted for Travis Barker. :shock:

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 10:27:16 PM
I won't...because I like him, too  :shock:

RIP

Offline Yu~Kun

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • The Reverse Trail
Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:27:41 PM
Wtf!?!?!John Bohnam is SECOND????SECOND?!!?!?!?!?!!?!!?

PARTY HARD

Offline jigokugal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 03:22:00 PM
The ranks shouldn't be for the best list but the top ten most favourited, cuz, what's best anyway? what criteria/ requirements to be complied? who the judges? at the end, it's just looked by subjective perspectives.

I second what Hollywood said, Yoshiki is my most favourite drummer. I know he isn't the best in the world, but he is the best I like the most.

Bout the top ten list website, I don't really give a damn, it's totally superficial in the meaning of.. totally depends on how many fans they have and whether the fans go online alot, come across to that web & spend their 3mins time or so to be wasted there.

jigokugal

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 11:02:01 PM
Sorry Yoshiki, but Neil Peart is Neil Peart... Couldn't vote for anyone else...

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline RoseOfPain

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 12:00:33 AM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
Voted for Yoshiki.

I don't really care who's the best drummer, but Yoshiki is my favorite drummer.  As others have said, he's not a particularly creative drummer, but I'll take Yoshiki's passion, aggression, and drama over anyone's "impressive technical chops", any day.
I second that!

I'VE GOT EXTASY, BUT I FEEL THE TEAR IS FALLING DOWN

Offline Edside

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 07:22:25 AM
That list's about the best technical drummer, the best favourite drummer, the best drummer in general....? :?

I mean there can be many bests, Neil peart is great at creating rhythm patterns but he isn't a speed technical metal drummer. Both kinds of drummer has got it's own difficulties and complexity. I like the way that Yoshiki develops his solos, his passion and all that but technically, there are better drummers(although technically he's good)which doesn't mean faster drummers. Being a drummer myself, I can say that playing at the speed he plays for such long time in each concert, is quite an achievement.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgeX9iYOFSQ[/youtube]

Offline hideisgod

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/vanillasugarcube
Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 07:19:14 PM
That's pretty neat to see him on the top 10!  He definitely is worthy of being there, he's amazing!

I LOVE YOSHIKI :D

Offline aruzo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aruzo
Reply #17 on: July 26, 2008, 06:19:32 PM
Yeah I don't agree with this list. Yoshiki has been drumming well longer than Shinya and even taught Shinya afew drumming techniques back in the day. I don't know how Shinya could surpass a J-Rock GOD when he's just a mortal.

Offline leria83

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/r1canmam1
Reply #18 on: July 26, 2008, 06:42:45 PM
The lists on this site are kind of weird I think. I mean, there's a "Best Male Singer of Japan" one and personally I believe Toshi should be on it but he's not. hide is on there but why not Toshi? Doesn't make sense. Especially since Toshi is far much better than TM Revolution AND Miyavi put together. Maybe that's just me though.

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: July 26, 2008, 08:00:01 PM
It always depends on what fans nominate for those lists... some have one opinion..others.. diffrent...

Yoshiki is an awesome drummer.. and my personal favorite drummers?  Roger Taylor, Lars Ulrich, Yoshiki, and Phil Collen (Def Leppard)

This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.

Offline Ragna

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: July 26, 2008, 08:11:55 PM
Keith Moon the 11th and Mike Portnoy the 12th!! And Buddy Rich the 20th!

I love X-Japan, but I can´t believe that xD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:19:13 PM by Ragna »

If it's all dreams... Now wake me up

Offline aruzo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/aruzo
Reply #21 on: July 26, 2008, 09:22:55 PM
hide is good and fun but OFCOURSE TOSHI IS A BETTER SINGER THAN HIM! hide is a guitarist ¬_¬

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: July 26, 2008, 09:41:38 PM
I'd actually vote Toshi for one of the best vocalists in the world. I wonder how many singer manage to sing/yell/shriek for three nights in a row and ending up with a still almost-perfect voice. And that's something, people.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #23 on: July 26, 2008, 09:48:24 PM
I hope you aren't talking about the March lives... The ending of Art of Life sounded quite painful...

This is my administrator color.

Offline violeta

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: July 27, 2008, 02:27:52 AM
Uhm,i love Yoshiki a lots so i don't think this rank much...I think it voted by fans(Asian fans) and therefore,has a lot Asian drummers on..i think Yoshiki's the best drummer of Japan/Asia  but not world...^)^..

so i angree that Toshi can be one in the best vocalists on the world becos that his voice's really really good and sepcil(uhm..not...it's unique and not much vocalist has the same voice w him)

^_^

Don't ask me why....

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #25 on: July 27, 2008, 11:06:37 AM
The ending of Art of Life sounded quite painful...
Seconded.

May X be with you!

Offline Ryo-Ohki

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 01:14:16 AM
I hope you aren't talking about the March lives... The ending of Art of Life sounded quite painful...

Oh.. my.. Yes it did.. Especially the first night...I mean.. I know he was kinda in shock seeing what happened... but.. that note didn't even come out right to begin with

This/these images are posted under the fair rights agreement. Copyright belongs to the respective owners.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #27 on: July 28, 2008, 10:30:42 AM
I meant the last night, Art of Life...

Overall there were songs when his voice was strained, there were songs where his voice was really great.

This is my administrator color.

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2008, 06:35:49 PM
It always depends on what fans nominate for those lists... some have one opinion..others.. diffrent...

Yoshiki is an awesome drummer.. and my personal favorite drummers?  Roger Taylor, Lars Ulrich, Yoshiki, and Phil Collen (Def Leppard)
ahh some clarifications: drummer of Def Leppard is Rick Allen. Due to an automobile accident when he was only 21,
he plays drums with his right arm only, that's from 1985 till today, they have concert tours
and I heard Japan is included for October 3 night shows.

Phil Collins was the former drummer of Genesis which recently held a reunion concert.

It's so nice to see Yoshiki in that category. He really is one of the bests. Although some of the best drummers
(in my opinion) were not listed there. The likes of Keith Moon, Simon Phillips, Peter Criss, Dave Grohl before he
founded Foo Fighters, Jack Irons, Tommy Lee and more... but my favorite is... Ginger Baker of Cream. At 66, he
still played his solo Toad at the Cream's reunion concert although on a much slower phase. So I guess he didn't
have to nail his two bass drums to the floor like he used to do when doing lives back then .

Oh how I wish and hope to watch Yoshiki still play drums at 66, it won't matter if it's in a slower phase.  *sadist*

edit: I don't think younger generation would appreciate these oldies *winks*

X Japan

ONE OK ROCK

Offline ~Carmilla~

• Sunday Listener
  • ROCK LIKE FUCK!!!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/x_holic
Reply #29 on: August 07, 2008, 08:22:40 AM
Oh course he is in the Top 10 ^-^<3 He IS the best!

WE ARE X!!!