• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X-Japan World Tour North American Leg Round-up

ForeverFades · 9046

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: October 11, 2010, 11:18:08 PM
So... What're everyone's thoughts about it?

Success, mild failure, big failure, neutral, indifferent, nonimpactful..?

Did you go, did you not go, set list opinions and feelings, fans reactions, media response?

How would you feel if Hot Topic started carrying X-Japan stuff, what would you do if teeny-boppers were carrying hide dolls with them, etc etc?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 04:12:53 PM by Hypno »

Offline TheCrimsonIdol

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 11:30:32 PM
Well the reviews have been great, so good media response.

I went to the Toronto show, the set list was amazing, the fans all reacted with great enthusiasm and clearly did not want it to end!

If Hot Topic started carrying X Japan stuff, I'd buy it! If I saw teeny-boppers carrying hide dolls with them I wouldn't really mind, at least X would be getting their name out there.

Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?

Offline sukisyo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 11:45:45 PM
Like Crimson (hi, by the way), I was at the Toronto show. From what I could see and the people I've met, the fans were pretty happy and in total bliss at the chance to see X in concert.

I really want X to prosper in the wide world so as long as they get new fans, I guess I would be okay with tweens and the Hot Topic crowd getting into them (as long as they don't change their music to suit the teen/twilightcore demographic).

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 12:00:19 AM

what would you do if teeny-boppers were carrying hide dolls with them, etc etc?

It always felt to me that hide was already considered the 'fluffy mascot of the jrock/visual kei fandom' by many ppl and especially thje teenaged vkei fans...XD
Even people who are not X fans and who do not really care about hide and/or his music go around with hide plushies or pins etc...XD
It's not that much different from what you described.

Also, I think the tour was a success even though I'm in Europe and I didn't attend any of the shows .. :'(
But judging from the reviews, the youtube videos etc etc etc....I'd say it went very well.....\(^o^)/
I hope that X gained at least a few more fans after this and that many more will be intrigued by the interviews, reviews and articles that are going around....^^

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline YourFuneral

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:01:33 AM
I think the promo tour was a success.  It was a starting point to test the waters in the US/North American market.  Now they have an idea of the popularity of X here and can plan future tours accordingly.  

Judging by the reports here and elsewhere, every fan seemed to have an amazing time at their respective gigs.  I know I did - even though it sounds like Seattle may have had the smallest turnout on the tour.

I'm just so appreciative of the fact that I got to see X Japan in my own city!  I hope this tour builds into bigger and better things for the band stateside.  ^_^

As for Hot Topic and X merch showing up there?  I don't have a problem with it.  I never shop at Hot Topic but I wouldn't begrudge the band a chance to make some new fans by selling merch there.  More power to 'em, really.

\m/

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 12:08:26 AM
I definitely think the tour was a great success! Even though most of the shows didn't sell out, they still had very good attendance. They all gave every ounce of effort on this tour, and it was truly amazing to be a part of the experience. The set list was very good, a good mix of old and new. As for their stuff ending up at hot topic, its probably gonna happen, but hey if thats the worst that could happen, it doesn't really bother me. I hope they keep going, making new music, and come back to north America for an even longer tour next year!

Offline blue_roses

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 12:24:20 AM
I think the tour was definitely a success. I went to the Vancouver and Toronto lives and the turnout was really good in both cities. Fans were really enthusiastic and the setlist is wonderful!

I think this is a really good start in their attempt to break into the North American market. Hopefully they'll keep the momentum going and actually release something soon before people/the press loose interest in them.

Don't really care if X Japan stuff starts showing up in Hot Topic or if tweens are running around with hide dolls.

Offline slyphermetra

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 01:13:54 AM
ya i loved the show, i mean it was a great set and alot of great people were met!

Offline Unoriginal Name X

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 02:06:17 AM
I'd ceartinly say it was a sucess. Only one sell out but from what I've read there was only one show that was sort of under sold, which is pretty good for a seven city tour relying nearly exclusively on word of mouth and I've never been part of a more enthusiastic crowd. And any store carrying X Japan stuff is alright by me. Being able to buy one of thier albums here in Canada would be great. I got nothing against the Hot Topic crowd.  :P

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 02:11:10 AM
I'd ceartinly say it was a sucess. Only one sell out but from what I've read there was only one show that was sort of under sold, which is pretty good for a seven city tour relying nearly exclusively on word of mouth and I've never been part of a more enthusiastic crowd. And any store carrying X Japan stuff is alright by me. Being able to buy one of thier albums here in Canada would be great. I got nothing against the Hot Topic crowd.  :P

Correction: 2 sellouts LA and NY

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 02:22:48 AM
Just so everyone knows, I really think this was a great dip in the American market.  I think with all the ventures that X-Japan is taking, even including the comic book with Stan Lee, will lead to greater success here in the states, and me being the X-Japan sucker I am I know- even with everyone here nay saying it- I'll be at the comic shop the day of release. =P

I gotta say, it was cool seeing the variations of the shows that happened.  I know they did the same set list- another question I forgot to ask, what does everyone think of the consistent setlist?- but the improvements that happened throughout the show.

I only went to the LA show, and that was a blessing and a curse.  I think the band's attitude towards it was optimistic but I'm sure that they were some hesitation, considering the large asian population in California about how much hope should be put into this tour, which I think each city traveled hopefully quelled. 

The curse part of going to the LA show were the technical difficulties: the technician pouring water on the piano, the piano full on dropping out during Born to be Free, some tech issues here and there, an imperfect solo from Sugizo on Silent Jealousy, rough pronunciation on the english words... But the blessings:  being the first to see X-Japan on tour in a venue in the states, finally seeing X-Japan after many years of devotion to a once-thought-dead band, and above all else, having every song be a surprise.  Each city after LA may have gotten a tighter performance of the songs, but to hear each song come on without having any clue of what was next... Nothing compares.

I'm so glad that so many X-Japan fans came out and traveled across this country, crossed countries, and showed their support.  I have great faith that this was not their only tour here in the great North America.. =D

CharonCaori

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 03:29:02 AM
After going to their NY concert...holy shit. They're really fucking serious about this, and you could just feel it from them. Toshi's at his peak. Yoshiki really cares about his supporting fans, too. If they keep going like this, they certainly have a chance.

Offline Thomas849

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 04:03:59 AM
First off, I went to the concert at Massey hall and it was absolutely amazing, as had quite a nice turn out.

Its kind of hard to tell how much of a success it was because there are a lot of factors. IMO the way we can tell if it was a success is to see how the CD release goes and they are able to announce another tour. I would say that the majority of the ppl that went to these concerts are the ppl that have been listening to them for years, if we are lucky those ppl dragged their friends to the concert and were able to convert them into fans as well, which would be awesome.

As for the press coverage id say it was done really well. There have been a lot of reports about the concerts that have all been quite positive. If they keep up what their doing now im pretty sure they'll be able to make it.

Ill leave it at this. im GLAD they didnt attempt this in 2008 like they were first thinking. They were definitely not in the right mind set, they had just gotten back together they hadn't worked together for many years, and lets face it, they were a little rusty and were trying to do to many things at once. Had they attempted this then i think it would have failed. So in a sense im happy that they ran into the problems that they had only because they were all able to work through it and see what they wanted and in the end get back into the proper mindset? lol

CharonCaori

Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 04:19:11 AM
There were people who kept walking by us in line and asking questions...one guy even said "Oh yeah X Japan! I saw the commercial on TV." And then before the concert started, I think a news crew came up... They were interviewing the people in front, I guess, but all of a sudden, the line erupted into a "WE ARE...!" X chant... The guys with the cameras started laughing and didn't know what to do, so they just filmed the line going fucking insane. It was great.

Offline dksu

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 05:51:49 AM
As others have commented, it's difficult to pass a verdict on the 'success' of the tour if we're going by their ability to catch on with North American audiences. I'd say that at the Toronto show, the majority of those in attendance had been fans for quite awhile - though at the same time there were a lot of younger people there (mid to late teens). I'd also wager that there were definitely quite a few converts to come out of the Hall that night too. The energy level was unreal. So, I guess I'd call it a moderate success... but they'll certainly have to come back again... and again... if they really want to raise their profile ;p.

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 07:37:44 AM
I actually wrote an absentee report for each night I couldn't attend, as well as one for the concert I did attend. I didn't discuss success or the future so much as the experiences of the moment.

Anyone who has the time and the inclination can read my 'round up' of the tour here: http://katemiotto.typepad.com/blog/ There are a couple of other reviews on the page, but the majority of the posts are the X Japan First North American Tour.

Anyone who attended one of the nights who finds any errors or glaring ommissions, please feel free to let me know so I can make corrections and/or inclusions.

Thanks for sharing a GREAT two weeks of miracle concerts with me!

Offline HerrAmn

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 13, 2010, 04:07:19 AM
From my perspective, an X fan for roughly 11 years now, it was a massive success. I mean, from the perspective of most die-hard fans, I think it was incredible. I attended the Massey Hall show and I don't think I'll ever forget it. Like I said earlier, I mostly stopped listening to visual-kei/jrock/X JAPAN for a few years... I mean I listened to them on and off, but never constantly. Last summer my girlfriend and I started listening to them again.

Seeing them live was unbelievable.. I've been to so many shows in the past 2 years, but honestly, the sheer anticipation, the days leading up to it and then the moment they actually took stage.. I truly believe that was the greatest concert I've ever been to. I never wanted it to end. So from the perspective of a die-hard fan, it was amazing.

Now, I think the real question here is: what is the band aiming for? How serious is Yoshiki about filling up stadiums and being a mainstream success in the US? And will this upcoming album be a major break-thru in North America? It's impossible to know.. In an interview Yoshiki explained that X JAPAN never fit anywhere but even-so, I have to ask: who will listen to this band? Metal fans? Anime fans? Or dare I say, scenesters? Who knows.

I'm just forever grateful they came here to play for us and that it was just as incredible as I expected it to be. Even if they aren't a success here, I hope they realize that they do have fans here, and we love them very much. I swear, if X JAPAN announce that they'll play again in a month from now, I think 80% of their fans would show up again - if not more.

say anything /// tachikirenai kokoro ni

Offline LoveMeLemoned

• Sunday Listener
  • 美しい音楽を作ります。
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #17 on: October 13, 2010, 08:42:43 PM
I agree with what pretty much everyone said, really; also, it's good to know that NYC sold out. The East Coast from what I know doesn't get many shows over here, and because of that I was hoping it would be a success so that X would come back to NYC, too-- as much as I love them, I'll never be able to afford flying across the country :( but a 30 dollar two way trip is entirely worth it to see them. And with the amount of people who had taken even LONGER trips to attend the NYC show, it seems like stopping there was worth it for them in the longrun... :B

A tour like that seemed to be worth it-- more of them will probably gather more of an audience. A lot of people in NYC seemed pretty interested in what we were all waiting for... maybe they'll get curious. XD

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 16, 2010, 02:26:19 AM
Great, great press on the entire tour.

L.A. Weekly:
“X Japan is a stadium band…as such, they treated The Wiltern as though it were Dodger Stadium.”

Time Out Chicago:
“X Japan is a master of epic metal on the other side of the world.  [Vocalist] Toshi screams right up there with the banshee hell ranks of Al Atkins and Bruce Dickinson. Yoshiki is his classically trained pianist and warrior drummer.  And together, with the help of a trio of guitarists, X Japan possesses a call-and-response fury infused with operatic mayhem.”

Examiner New York:
” X Japan put on an arena-quality show.”

SF Weekly:
“All it took was one show to make it very clear why X Japan is such a phenomenon in its homeland.  Many rock bands have lost the drama and theatrics that was the hallmark of the rock concert.  Clearly X Japan gets it.”

Hollywood Reporter:
“X Japan is bringing spectacle and excitement back to music – and the band proved it is a force to be reckoned with.”

Rockstar Weekly:
“Toshi, much like Freddie Mercury or even Geoff Tate of Queenscryche, is one of the most amazing singers you’ll ever get to hear live.”

Chicago Sun-Times:
“The most impressive aspect of X Japan’s show is the quality of musicianship.  Principal songwriter, drummer and pianist Yoshiki’s classical training came gushing out when he took a seat at the clear-case grand piano for the power ballad “Endless Rain…guitarists Sugizo and Pata traded grinding riffs and lightning leads on songs such as “I.V.” and “Jade” that even American metal bands would find hard to tackle.”

Metromix New York:
“Everything about X Japan is massive.  What other rock show nowadays features lasers, violin solos (of “The Star Spangled Banner,” no less), a cavalcade of power chords, and drum solos?”

Consequence of Sound:
“Fans like this hardly exist anymore – at least in rock ‘n’ roll.  People preoccupy themselves so much with what’s hip these days that they lose sight on why they listened to music in the first place.”

Lithium:
“As energetic as the fans were, I felt the band was the obvious winner in the ‘who is having more fun’ category, a point driven home as they all posed for multiple photos FOR THEMSELVES at the end of their performance on the front of the stage with the Massey Hall crowd in the background.”

AOL/Noisecreep:
“The X Japan live experience is meant to be seen in the space of a sports arena, but just after a couple of minutes, you felt like you were watching them a few miles away — at the Los Angeles Staples Center.”

Offline LoveMeLemoned

• Sunday Listener
  • 美しい音楽を作ります。
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 03:24:56 AM
Aw, comparing Toshi to Freddie Mercury. I honestly always thought of those two in the same regard as great vocalists with amazing vocal talent. And I'm just a huge Queen fan. The only reason I'm even in this fandom right now is because of Queen. :]

Offline ashtrayxx

• Sunday Listener
  • X fan since 2000.
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
Reply #20 on: October 16, 2010, 02:55:09 PM
Those press excerpts made me very, very happy.

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: October 16, 2010, 06:06:54 PM
I wonder where they'll go when they come back...

Will they be daring enough to venture into Central America?  Will they go to the south?  What kind of promotional tools will they use?

Will X-Japan get any airplay on the radios, I wonder.. I think that would be the first and foremost choice.  I mean, I could imagine hearing "Jade" or "Born to be Free" on either the "Best of 80s, 90s, and Today" channel along with the the "Rock" station around here.

Also, with the advent of translating their lyrics into english, could our radios get something like Silent Jealousy or Kurenai??

Offline lunatic_high

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: October 16, 2010, 11:03:21 PM
:D All those press excerpts just make me smile.

I was and the NY show and it was completely the best concert I've ever been to.  The setlist was alright; I think I was expecting more old classics but it's understandable that they want to publicize their new material.  They hit all the big ones so I'm happy.  When the piano started up for Art of Life I nearly died.  It wasn't until someone next to me said to his friend something along the lines of "look at this girl" that i realized I was clasping my mouth with tears running down my eyes xD .  There were a lot of tears at this concert....especially with Yoshiki himself choking up so much during the encore.

Also, I don't know about the other shows, but the line for the NY show certainly gave the band a bit of publicity.  I think there was a journalist for TIME magazine interview and filming people at one point.  I think X can make it if the fans do they part as well and spread the word!

The response from the media was definitely great!  Everyone who gave X a chance LOVED them so it's a matter of whether or not they will get that chance and I'm always so bad at judging how open minded the American public is. I really wouldn't mind at all if we had little 12 y/o scenster listening to X.  If they're reaching a wider audience (no matter who that audience is) I'm happy; any type of popularity is good.  And it's not like X will ever sacrifice the music to cater to a specific demographic.  I just feel like this band DESERVES to be selling out arena's all over the world.

Offline y0shisgrl

• Sunday Listener
  • We may be freaks....but at least we have FUN
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: October 16, 2010, 11:29:34 PM
I think this was a huge success for X and of course the X Japan American fans. Unfortunately, I was not able to go, but if they come back and do some shows closer to Ohio my mom promised I could go. And I LOVE hot topic (i'm wearing a Guns n roses shirt i got from there right now. lol.) so if they came out with an X line, I would totally buy all the merch <3333

RIP Our Pink Spider.
RIP Taiji <3

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 09:08:47 PM
Got my ticket + poster I stole (got a little messed up in transit) + picture framed from the New York show. I think it turned out great!

Gonna add it to my existing X wall-collection.

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 10:39:27 PM
Why have you framed the CDs?.....^^;;;;;;

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: November 06, 2010, 12:08:19 AM
Haha, I've got the song on my computer. Plus they are not glued to the frame, I can always take them out.

Offline Thomas849

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 05:20:57 AM
wow that looks great

i want to do the same with mine but frame a shirt+wrist band+ ticket