• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

David Bowie

Cruor · 31896

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 08:01:33 PM
Same! Cool to hear from him, plus the xx are a decent band too. Thanks for the heads up.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 08:50:49 PM
Bowie interviews himself? Well, alright then. :D

If you're going to buy it, are you able to scan it for us to see? Or maybe it will be available online somewhere when it comes out.

Either way, I need to see this.

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 09:20:11 PM
From David's official website. They got it wrong.

I Was hoping not to have to mention this one just yet, but I've had a few e-mails asking if DB has interviewed himself again or if it's just a previous Bowie self-interview, following the publication of the above advert in this week's NME.

Well, I'm afraid it's neither. There will be a David Bowie feature of sorts, which may include a brief Q&A with David regarding the upcoming A Reality Tour live CD release...but he won't be talking to himself.

I will indeed try to scan it. But if not I think it will be on the website.

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 11:39:22 PM
Aw, for some reason I'm sad he won't be talking to himself. (I really doubt I will ever have another reason to say that.)

I'm crossing my fingers for any hints of activity.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 12:42:04 AM
us three have taken over the thread haha. Bowie fans unite!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #35 on: January 22, 2010, 07:12:14 AM
I was starting to notice that. :D Well, Shane always has new info so it's alright with just the three of us.

Sometimes I wish the other X Freaks would join, but this way we share all the Bowie love among ourselves. (That sounds ominous for some reason.)

Uh, I'm tired and I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore.  ::)

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 03:49:43 PM
Yeah I noticed that too haha. There surely must be more  Bowie fans on  here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 08:44:55 PM by shane140 »

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 09:18:41 PM
And if there aren't, there's always the possibility of converting them?

That's my plan, haha.

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 01:11:46 PM
What's on David's Ipod?   Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/jan/24/david-bowie-on-his-ipod

"The pop master gives us an exclusive peek to mark the release tomorrow of A Reality Tour, the live double album of his acclaimed 2003-4 world tour
I've chosen the songs that I've been playing the most over the last month. Here they are in no particular order.

Stay with Me by Lorraine Ellison

Ellison only got to record this goose bump-making classic because of a Sinatra cancellation at the studio. The vocal build and release on this track is galvanising. Writer Jerry Ragovoy also wrote "Time Is On My Side".

El Ninõ – For with God No Thing Shall Be Impossible by John Adams; Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin, Willard White, Dawn Upshaw, Lorraine Hunt Lieberson, conducted by Kent Nagano

Just over a minute long and propulsive like a storm. I want to crush furniture. The emotional in search of the divine.

Junker's Blues by Champion Jack Dupree

Simple, beautiful New Orleans piano. This 1941 song was the blueprint for Fats Domino's 1949 hit "The Fat Man" and probably played a part in the making of Professor Longhair's "Tipitina".

Nixon in China: Act I, Scene 1; 'Soldiers of Heaven Hold the Sky' by John Adams; Orchestra of St Luke's, Edo de Waart

Adams's minimalism disguises the rich romanticism of his melodies. Ever ascending, rising through the clouds.

Embroidering Pouch by Peng Liyuan

Hugely huge in China. Peng holds the rank of major general in the People's Liberation Army. I have a thing about Chinese folk music, OK?

All These Deserters by Boxharp

Mystical country. An eerie yellowing photograph.

Wood Beez (Pray Like Aretha Franklin) by Scritti Politti

Who could dislike this glistening 1984 beauty? The upside of the 80s.

Dinner at Eight by Rufus Wainwright

There aren't that many son/father songs but this is the best of them as far as I know. Rufus is just simply one of the great writers.

Different Trains I: America-Before the War by Steve Reich; Kronos Quartet

One of the late 20th century's most affecting works. I love the use of speech as a source for melody. But it's so much more than a concept, it's also impossibly moving.

Blue Skies by Josephine Baker

I'm not a big Baker fan but there's something about this performance that touches me. I think it's the break in her voice among all this gaiety and optimism.

Gathering Storm by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

GYBE are among my, erm, two favourite Montreal bands, Arcade Fire being the other. All Montreal bands have around nine members, I believe.

Sonny's Lettah (Anti-Sus Poem) by Linton Kwesi Johnson

The great Kwesi Johnson at his saddest. This forceful slice of narrative is part of the continuing evolvement from griot through the Last Poets to Mos Def.

Get Around to It by Arthur Russell

Quite strange but atmospheric. The late Arthur Russell was supplying all the background effects on his electric cello.

Sénégal Fast-Food by Amadou & Mariam

Let's dance. Saw this on Africa Channel or maybe Link last year and play it at least once a week. What time is it in Paradise indeed?

Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet: Tramp with Orchestra by Gavin Bryars; Hampton String Quartet, Michael Riesman and Orchestra

This will either drive you up the wall or you will produce some amazing drawings while listening to it. You could probably cook a fish to this as well.

OUR VERDICT by Observer muso Gareth Grundy

While largely reclusive since 2003's Reality, his listening habits are famously current – he was an early champion of the Arcade Fire, for example. And so it is here, Bowie clocking the prevailing trends for African sounds and the avant-garde disco of the obscure but cultish Arthur Russell. No one could have predicted the fascination with Chinese folk music, though. As for the influence of all this on a new album, don't hold your breath. Come on David, get a move on…

To hear David Bowie's selections in a Spotify playlist go to http://bit.ly/6oTqwp"

Wow, Bowie's got a very interesting taste, i'm gonna have to check out these songs.

Here's an interesting article also: http://www.therockologist.com/ 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 01:49:48 PM by shane140 »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 04:54:20 PM
Bowie is ridiculously cool!

Not only has he got music by Godspeed You! Black Emperor, he has the unreleased bootleg by them! OR he individually names each movement of each track, which is equally as cool.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:00:05 AM by TG »

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 06:07:57 PM
Wow, he has some pretty diverse, interesting tastes. Especially the Chinese folk music, that's (as TG said) ridiculously cool.

Thank you for posting those two articles, I really appreciate it.

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 07:11:14 PM
^My pleasure :)

Here's a brand new interview from http://www.spinnermusic.co.uk/2010/01/25/david-bowie-rebel-rebel-live-video/ :

You said 'Reality' was made to play live and the songs from 'Reality' on this live CD are certainly evidence of that. Was it your intention to make that kind of record because you knew you wanted to tour it, or did you just set out to make something rockier and more up than the previous album, 'Heathen'?

Midway during the recording period it dawned on me that a lot of the songs were pretty up in spirit, even if the lyrics were a little down in some. By the time we got to tour rehearsals the reality album as a whole seemed to fit right in.

What were you hoping to convey with the 'Reality' album title and tour name, and was that notion reflected in the album sleeve graphics where you were depicted in cartoon form among seemingly disparate elements?

Back in 2003, the word reality seemed like it was going to sum up the decade. And of course, reality never is what you think it's going to be.

Fifty-plus songs were rehearsed for A Reality Tour, with 35 of those being played over the two nights in Dublin. Though you could have easily picked two or three completely different sets of 50 songs from your back catalog, which no doubt would have equally pleased your audience, how did you go about choosing the songs you eventually settled upon?

Every few days or so I'd look back through my old songs and pick on something that particularly caught my fancy or something that I hadn't played in a few years.

Some of your more recent compositions performed on this tour, such as 'The Motel,' 'Heathen (The Rays),' 'Slip Away' and 'The Loneliest Guy,' sit very comfortably alongside the older Bowie classics. Do you know this as you write and record them or is it something you really have no idea about until you start getting reactions to them?

I never know about anything until a few weeks after I've recorded something. I usually know the strength of a song by then. I rarely need a reaction to know what a songs worth is even if the reaction isn't there -- it doesn't reduce the song in my mind.

Not a lot of info, but hey, it's something. I hope he'll carry on interviews and get back into full swing after the release of the Reality Tour CD has blown over.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #42 on: January 25, 2010, 08:00:13 PM
I already have the DVD but I listened to it today on Spotify. Good stuff!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #43 on: January 26, 2010, 05:39:34 AM
God, I really need to get some money to buy it. It also doesn't help that my town has literally zero Bowie anything and my identity ALWAYS gets stolen when I order online. :C I can't find anything in person, except for this Best of Bowie DVD at the video rental store. I check it out practically every time I'm in there. :D

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #44 on: January 27, 2010, 04:32:53 PM
I was a little dissapointed to see the interview was the same one as I posted from BowieNet, but, the article was very interesting indeed. They mention quite a few times he is probably been working on something for a long time. It's just a matter of WHEN he'll announce it. I'll try and scan it when I can.

"Trying to track down Bowie is akin to chasing a fart down a hall of mirrors" LOL

This was on their website today, an A-Z of Bowie.
http://www.nme.com/photos/a-z-of-david-bowie/163865/1/1
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:22:33 PM by shane140 »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 07:29:46 PM
is it just me or have they forget about the most important letter, "Z"?

Z for ZIGGY!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 04:48:04 PM
^ I think Ziggy was in it.Look again.   :P

BBC Radio London's DJ Danny Baker has started a campaign to get Bowie to play 3 nights at the O2 arena in September.I doubt it will happen but it would be amazing if this got enough support and actually happened!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0061tfp/Danny_Baker_26_01_2010/  Listen here.

shane140

Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 07:06:39 PM
http://robpongi.blogspot.com/2010/02/david-bowie-reflects-on-comeback.html

Bowie is planning a comeback and is working on a new album.
Fantastic news!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 08:12:58 PM by shane140 »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 07:52:11 PM
They clearly added Z after I pointed out the mistake :P

I would love Bowie to do three shows with Arcade Fire as support!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 08:49:42 PM
Oh oh oh my God.

I'm at school and the website is blocked but
ARE YOU SERIOUS??

Comeback? New Album?
If I weren't at school, I would be freaking the hell out.  :o

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #50 on: February 02, 2010, 05:24:07 PM
^Yup! 

Here is a little more understandable translation, it was actually from an interview with Gail-Anne-Dorsey, Bowie's Bassist. Here's the interesting part:

"David Bowie is terminally ill, it can be read on the Internet.

(excited) "That is not true. I heard David two weeks ago when I congratulated him on his 63rd birthday. He sounded excellent and has plans to slowly start work on a new album. "

What can we expect?

"You can not ignore his current life. Bowie has become a family man and enjoys to see his children grow up close to him. But after six years he feels the urge to get in the studio with musicans he likes. He closely follows bands like Arcade Fire in recent months. But he is inspired by ancient Chinese folk and jazz these days as well. "

In May a double tribute album is released with Bowie covers by diverse artists (from Carla Bruni to MGMT and Soulwax).

"Well, I talked about it with David. He feels he should urgently get back to work, because too many of these tributes in a short time usually mean that your career is becoming regarded as completed. "

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #51 on: February 02, 2010, 06:09:04 PM
I hope it's better than the previous Bowie tribute album, although Au Revoir Simone's cover of "Oh You Pretty Things!" was nice.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #52 on: February 02, 2010, 09:27:14 PM
I'm so excited to hear he's finally making more material! I hope he includes some of that Chinese folk and jazz he's been influenced by lately, it sounds like it would work really well together.
I honestly never thought he'd come back, so this is just fantastic.

GARBAGE DAY!

shane140

Reply #53 on: February 19, 2010, 01:30:38 AM
Jonathon Ross wants David to be a guest on his last ever BBC tv show in about June. They are really great friends and he's been on a few times before so i'm sure he'll do it. All we can do is hope.

Just found this, very interesting.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQAmRLcxzw[/youtube]

Seeing he likes foreign  music,someone should introduce him to X!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 01:38:25 AM by shane140 »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #54 on: February 19, 2010, 02:07:53 AM
Yeah, I've seen/read stuff with Jonathan Ross and Bowie before, they seem to have a really good relationship. I think there are videos on YouTube of his past appearences on the show.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #55 on: February 19, 2010, 06:27:59 AM
The Brazilian music section at about 2:00 is very good, I hope I can get a hold of some of that someday. :D

Thank you for posting the video, it's very interesting. How these people (and Bowie) described music was just spot on.

I've personally never heard of Jonathan Ross, but that's a very big gesture to invite Bowie for his last ever show.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #56 on: February 26, 2010, 08:53:08 PM
The legend that is David Bowie has pledged his support to the campaign to save BBC 6 Music from closure.

A report on The Times today claims that along with the BBC Asian Network, 6 Music faces the axe as the Beeb looks to save millions of pounds in an effort to focus on “quality over quantity”.

He said: “6 Music keeps the spirit of broadcasters like John Peel alive and for new artists to lose this station would be a great shame”

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

shane140

Reply #57 on: February 27, 2010, 04:07:58 PM
I for one agree with his statement. If they get rid of the radio station, it will be wrong, they should get rid of radio 1, there's so much crap on there, not real music like BBC 6.

I have sent a complaint to the BBC and got a response.
Bowie's quote has made the front page.

From Bowienet.

Speaking of Bowienet, I have joined, but it was 43 quid. :-\ It's kinda worth it though.

shane140

Reply #58 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:33 PM
Apparently, David is seriously ill , I'm not willing to believe that these rumors are true until there is an official confirmation: This is from people's Twitters:

"Very sad news indeed. I've just heard from an insider that David Bowie is seriously ill. Always been a massive fan."

and

"Can't say what Bowie's illness is suposed to be at this time. I'm really hoping there's been a mistake- at this stage illness NOT confirmed."

Then he posted "Source says David Bowie fine. Scare turned out to be nothing. Post earlier heart problem source 'over reacted'. Very pleased to hear this!"

But after that someone else posted: "So rumors of David Bowie being seriously ill are true. I heard from someone who knows family. So sad. I want him to outlive us all."

I don't have confirmation of what David Bowie's illness is just yet. Asked my friend if it's something he might recover from.

Rumors like this very one were spread last year and the year before, I just hope to god they aren't true this time.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #59 on: February 28, 2010, 08:07:11 PM
I really hope these rumours aren't true. If he is indeed ill, then my thoughts are with him at this moment. Get well soon!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm