• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

THE Lollapalooza Thread!

AsukaMiyu · 106506

Offline DopeHead

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #510 on: August 11, 2010, 02:49:23 PM

This video shows very good how big the crowd was.

Offline Radi3nt

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #511 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:23 AM

Despite the camera angle, i think this is the best version of Rusty Nail.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #512 on: August 12, 2010, 11:15:33 AM
A more clear clip of the first verse of the song, better to understand the new english lyrics with.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrmLg1yMQC0[/youtube]

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #513 on: August 12, 2010, 12:01:05 PM
Interesting, this appears to be the original recording of Tears exactly. Same strings, same piano, same drums, same bass and guitar - even same Toshi vocals for the old English parts and the chorus - just new ones for the previously Japanese parts.

Previously I hoped that the old songs would be fully re-recorded, but after hearing a butchered sample of Rusty Nail with Midi drums I think I actually prefer the lazy approach - simply on the grounds that the original recordings have obviously had a lot more care taken over their production than the newer stuff.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #514 on: August 12, 2010, 02:46:45 PM
Interesting, this appears to be the original recording of Tears exactly. Same strings, same piano, same drums, same bass and guitar - even same Toshi vocals for the old English parts and the chorus - just new ones for the previously Japanese parts.

Previously I hoped that the old songs would be fully re-recorded, but after hearing a butchered sample of Rusty Nail with Midi drums I think I actually prefer the lazy approach - simply on the grounds that the original recordings have obviously had a lot more care taken over their production than the newer stuff.

I completely agree. I noticed the first time I heard the new tears that they just patched in the original parts that were already English with the newly recorded parts. I think that's pretty damn lazy but to be honest, Toshi's voice on the original is fucking epic so it could've turned out to be worse actually haha

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #515 on: August 12, 2010, 10:18:28 PM
I don't like the way Toshi sings ballads live now, so I was worried that the rerecording would be absolute crap, but luckily he sings the new english verse the way Tears and the other ballads are meant to be sung. So if Toshi had rerecorded the 2nd verse I think it would've sounded practically the same as the studio version anyway.

But I see no real problem with just reusing the old 2nd verse, it sounds perfect already.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:35:37 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #516 on: August 13, 2010, 01:09:14 AM
But I see no real problem with just reusing the old 2nd verse, it sounds perfect already.

A few months ago I'd say that Yoshiki is being lazy and showing a very tacky work ethic.

Then I heard the shitty production value of the latest versions of Jade, Born to be Free and a clip of Rusty Nail, and I really just don't care about re-recording the old songs now, because quite simply, the recent stuff sounds amateurish, I've heard bedroom recordings created on a notebook which sound better.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #517 on: August 13, 2010, 02:57:42 PM
Looking around at random X videos on youtube, while there are a few comments from new fans from lollapalooza who like the band, there are unfortunatly quite a few racist comments as well.

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #518 on: August 13, 2010, 03:05:05 PM
Looking around at random X videos on youtube, while there are a few comments from new fans from lollapalooza who like the band, there are unfortunatly quite a few racist comments as well.

I wonder if they know how to spell Xenophobia...

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline GoskinsVT

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #519 on: August 13, 2010, 06:03:15 PM

A few months ago I'd say that Yoshiki is being lazy and showing a very tacky work ethic.

Then I heard the shitty production value of the latest versions of Jade, Born to be Free and a clip of Rusty Nail, and I really just don't care about re-recording the old songs now, because quite simply, the recent stuff sounds amateurish, I've heard bedroom recordings created on a notebook which sound better.

I wouldn't put too much into the clips online. I specificly remember the I.V. clips when they were previewed a few years back and they sounded as crappy as the new stuff does now. I'd wait for the final studio album/single to make the final judgment.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #520 on: August 14, 2010, 01:44:21 AM
1/3 of Jade, but its filming the main monitor screen the whole way.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNKjf0mso0c[/youtube]

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #521 on: August 15, 2010, 10:35:09 PM
The Phoenix New Times journalist writes in his personal blog: How I met Yoshiki (here is the article he wrote)

This is my administrator color.

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #522 on: August 16, 2010, 03:12:44 AM
Thanks Sander for the link. I specially like this part:

NT: Does that have anything to do with Sugizo? (Sugizo became the band's new guitarist and sixth member after the reunion)

Y: Yes. I asked him to play some dramatic guitar solos. Yeah, he's really become part of X Japan now. He was almost co-producing the sound. Because he likes to be in the studio.

Believe it or not, a lot of musicians, when they finish their part, they just leave and get drunk (laughs) but for some reason Sugizo, he is staying like...I was usually staying until 2 or 3 a.m. and just working he was just staying and then supporting me. It was great.

He did an amazing guitar solo for the song called "Jade." Of course Pata, Heath and Toshi did an amazing performance as well.

X Japan

ONE OK ROCK

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #523 on: August 16, 2010, 08:08:37 AM
yeah that's indeed nice to hear :)

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline nihongaku

• View Profile
    • Nihongaku
Reply #524 on: August 16, 2010, 08:55:03 AM
Hey dudes. Jonathan AKA Nihongaku AKA that dude who wrote the Phoenix New Times Q&A here. I just wanted to say thanks for checking out my blog and the piece. I really appreciate it. I'm currently working on a music feature about X Japan and the significance of the Lollapalooza show. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #525 on: August 16, 2010, 10:54:58 AM
Oh the pleasure is all ours, that Q&A was one of the most interesting reads out of the whole post-/pre-Lollapalooza coverage - as much as we love X getting covered by new fans and people who just found out about them, a good interview with someone who already knows the background and the story is always a big pleasure!

We'll be waiting for the feature :)

Offline Flippinklein

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lostpyscho
Reply #526 on: August 17, 2010, 12:53:46 AM
god lolla was amazing <3

:)

i gotta upload my pics

He lives on with each smile that his music brings to each childs and adults face

Offline sai

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #527 on: August 17, 2010, 07:41:23 AM
Nice article, buddy! I hope you also plan on covering X's breaking into the American music scene? Because, if anyone should do it, it should be someone who's familiar with the band  and understands. :D

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #528 on: August 17, 2010, 09:35:58 AM
Hey dudes. Jonathan AKA Nihongaku AKA that dude who wrote the Phoenix New Times Q&A here. I just wanted to say thanks for checking out my blog and the piece. I really appreciate it. I'm currently working on a music feature about X Japan and the significance of the Lollapalooza show. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again!

I'm definitely with Hypno here, fantastic article and a really well crafted piece of journalism. It's nice to see that there are still journalists out there that do their homework and put sufficient care into their work in a time when half-arsed tabloid trash is quite dominant.

Offline nihongaku

• View Profile
    • Nihongaku
Reply #529 on: August 18, 2010, 08:42:05 AM
Thanks so much for your kind words. My next piece about X Japan is due out in a week!

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #530 on: August 18, 2010, 09:53:53 AM
Can't wait to see it! :)

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #531 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:02 PM
Don't want to doublepost, but:

One picture of X-Japan made it to the Lollapalooza Top-50 picture album:

Find the album here!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #532 on: August 18, 2010, 10:44:28 PM
Someone stole Toshi's chair!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Flippinklein

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lostpyscho
Reply #533 on: August 18, 2010, 11:09:08 PM
Excuse me

AHAAHAHAHAHAHAHSUGIZOAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

He lives on with each smile that his music brings to each childs and adults face

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #534 on: August 19, 2010, 02:05:13 AM
sugizo should make his hair like this xD.... the devil himself.. haha :D

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #535 on: August 19, 2010, 02:22:43 AM
god lolla was amazing <3

:)

i gotta upload my pics

Glad you have a good time. Aside from X, who else did you go see?

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #536 on: September 19, 2010, 01:29:23 PM

just realise toshi sung kurenai in english in the beginning, beautiful opening .
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 01:31:34 PM by denxdenx »

Ex denxdenx