• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Sugizo's solo career

Flippinklein · 6163

Offline Flippinklein

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lostpyscho
on: August 17, 2009, 08:25:07 PM
So lets talk a lil on Sugi's solo career.

I personally, like his solo work better than his work with Luna Sea.

He has a nicer voice I think, and his music can be calm and soothing [Dear Life] or rough and hard [No More Machine Guns Just Play the Guitar etc]. Hes really versitlie, and a great composer. I am also a fan of his positive image which he likes to promote. I mean, they guy just preformed with the Blue Man Group.
Thats pretty frickin sweet.

What do my fellow X freaks think about his solo work.

He lives on with each smile that his music brings to each childs and adults face

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:37 AM
I do like it, I'm a fan I must admit, but I think in some ways he's his own worst enemy.

I respect Sugizo's guts most of all, in a time when Luna Sea were huge and Hide had just proved an enormous success as a Visual Kei solo artist he chose to make non-mainstream music, ignoring the financial insentives out there and instead just making the music which he wanted to make, which in an industry where money is everything, is very admirable.

But I think in going down his own route he maybe alienated a lot of his fans from Luna Sea, I think with Sugizo's solo work the majority of people just don't "get it", which, unfortunately, is why Ryuichi, J and Inoran have all became respectable and known solo artists, with Sugizo being much more out of the picture in that respect.

Offline Flippinklein

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lostpyscho
Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:49:45 PM
Alienated..I suppose so.

But I love his solo works, I get it. So do alot of his older and newer fans. It may have alienated some fans, but...does that mean it was entirely bad?
He turned over a new leaf and started making alot of positive music, personally I think it may be due to him becoming a father, as his daughter Luna was born around that time was she not?

He lives on with each smile that his music brings to each childs and adults face

Offline xjokerx

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 11:55:33 PM
it doesn't mean bad,it's just hard to accept or digest,since not everyone likes electronica/experimental/techno,that's all.I am one who dislike that kind of musics,lol.

His daughter born in 1996,guess what,you can find his daughter myspace on Sugizo's myspace,she's the last person on Sugizo's friends list.Apparently she lives in US with her mother (I think),and Sugizo sometimes visit them there.

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 12:14:44 AM
I wouldn't say his solo work is better than LUNA SEA but most of the standout LUNA SEA stuff was written by either J or INORAN. That being said, I still enjoy his solo work even though I only possess his debut album. I am really open to experimental stuff so I am not too bothered when I listen to his stuff :)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline xVisualShockx

• Rookie
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm
Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 10:24:00 AM
He may have "alienated" himself a bit, but his solo work really is some of my favorite music out there. He's been one of my favorite artists for a long time, and I loved Luna Sea, but I think his solo stuff far exceeds what they did (but hey, everyone likes different stuff ^_^ ). I like his positive attitude, and the message he gives about peace, and of course his voice, and his instrumental skills. But I think his music is not for just anyone, some of it is really out there and I can see why a lot of people don't get it. He is really a very, very talented guy and very intelligent as well.

Offline visualrocker69

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:18:27 AM
I wouldn't say his solo work is better than LUNA SEA but most of the standout LUNA SEA stuff was written by either J or INORAN.

I could not disagree more...

Dejavu, Believe, Loveless, End of Sorrow, Desire, In Silence, I For You, Millenium, Feel *_*

kenchan [松長健人 / 서켄지]

Offline xjokerx

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 05:36:31 AM
I prefer J and Inoran solos than Sugizo's, especially Inoran. Sugizo might tells his music combining different styles and elements,but to me Inoran is the one who really succeed bring every style in his musics.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 08:41:58 AM
I agree with your thoughts.

Offline andi3

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KARMIA
Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 01:59:43 PM
I really like his latest songs like Messiah, it's probably the best of his works :) Well Prana is cool too...

Offline ashtrayxx

• Sunday Listener
  • X fan since 2000.
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 12:27:34 PM
Sorry for reviving an old thread but...
I just watched the Rise to Cosmic Dance DVD yesterday for the first time. So inspiring! Truly a great concert, I highly recommend it.

Offline LunaSlave

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 05:54:52 PM
Rise to Cosmic Dance is AMAZING! I *love* that show. Actually - one of my favorite jrock concert videos. But yeah, it's not very commercial, and some might say 'out there' - i particularly love Enola Gay and the YMO cover.