• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan North American Tour

Sander · 79453

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #210 on: August 26, 2010, 04:54:05 PM
Ah, just noticed I messed the grammar of my previous post up, gonna fix it now ;)

If Black Light Burns will open or not for X in America, well I wouldn't mind if that would happen, like their music. But the 'opening act'-question is a good one.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:58:25 PM by Matthias »

Offline darthchilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #211 on: August 26, 2010, 07:50:59 PM
BLB will not open up for X
and for sure its not limpbizkit

Wes is busy with Bizkit to release this phantom album Fred Durst is talkin about, they have been touring tho

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #212 on: September 01, 2010, 01:53:03 PM
Question:

It's obvious that none of the shows have sold out, but how well subscribed have they been thus far? It seems like each show has picked up a couple of hundred each - have any even broken the 1000 mark yet?

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #213 on: September 01, 2010, 04:04:17 PM
Question:

It's obvious that none of the shows have sold out, but how well subscribed have they been thus far? It seems like each show has picked up a couple of hundred each - have any even broken the 1000 mark yet?

Sadly, I figured it would be like this too. That it would be really outstanding for one of the stops to sell out and that it would be a solid group but not sold out. I think that 99% of everyone who will/would go has either already got their ticket or has decided they can't go...I doubt there will be many last minute/impulse go-ers to see X unless they are heavily persuaded. =/ oh well, as long as they are not cancelled I really don't care how many ppl go.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #214 on: September 01, 2010, 05:31:06 PM
Question:

Sadly, I figured it would be like this too. That it would be really outstanding for one of the stops to sell out and that it would be a solid group but not sold out. I think that 99% of everyone who will/would go has either already got their ticket or has decided they can't go...I doubt there will be many last minute/impulse go-ers to see X unless they are heavily persuaded. =/ oh well, as long as they are not cancelled I really don't care how many ppl go.

If each show only has a couple of hundred attendees, I think that the sheer embaressment of the debacle will probably put an end to X Japan's overseas activity.

So much is riding on this, they should have chosen live house size venues as opposed to theatres. Yoshiki wasn't thinking.

The New York show might come close to selling out, only because there are loads of first or second generation Asian immigrants who live in the area and X Japan is probably quite a big deal to them.

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #215 on: September 01, 2010, 05:58:49 PM
The New York show should be pretty close to selling out by now. I think they will do well in LA too since there is a history of J-rock events there. Chicago has potential too but the concert is not till October so most people will leave ticket buying after the going back to school craziness is over. Toronto should be packed too. There is a large Asian population, large # of J-rock followers. Vancouver has an enormous Asian population too.
I think these would be the shows that have "Sold Out" or almost sold out potential. The rest is anyone's guess.

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #216 on: September 01, 2010, 06:26:26 PM
If each show only has a couple of hundred attendees, I think that the sheer embaressment of the debacle will probably put an end to X Japan's overseas activity.

Nonono!!!!!
They have to come to Europe too! Don't forget that  :D
Everybody in America: make your friends buy the X Japan tickets damned!

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #217 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:17 PM

Nonono!!!!!
They have to come to Europe too! Don't forget that  :D
Everybody in America: make your friends buy the X Japan tickets damned!

I agree, I feel so nervous regarding the whole thing. I don't want X Japan to fail and Yoshiki to be put off playing overseas outside of Asia where they are already huge.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #218 on: September 01, 2010, 07:11:51 PM
It's not really surprising that none of the shows have sold out. I mean, exactly how many people in America know ANYTHING about them? The album isn't out, the 1st single isn't out, almost no promotion... Unless the group kicks it into high-gear it IS going to fail.

Offline darthchilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #219 on: September 01, 2010, 07:41:54 PM
Vancouver show only has nosebleeds left..

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #220 on: September 01, 2010, 07:46:19 PM
It's not really surprising that none of the shows have sold out. I mean, exactly how many people in America know ANYTHING about them? The album isn't out, the 1st single isn't out, almost no promotion... Unless the group kicks it into high-gear it IS going to fail.

I also noticed the no promotion issue! I'm not sure what their management is thinking. There are no posters anywhere. No single. No video. No radio play. My hope is that everyone is just so afraid of possible cancellations that they are holding off buying the tickets till the very last minute. Of course I am an optimist and I truly believe that X fans will show their support for real and not just in the way of lip-service.

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #221 on: September 01, 2010, 07:49:30 PM
Everybody was afraid for Lollapalooza and it was a big succes!
This will be a big success too!!!

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #222 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:25 PM
I'm confident they'll be fine and put on a good show for the North American fans.

The choices of location and venue size is appropriate. Let's hope they do something similar for the European fans!

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #223 on: September 01, 2010, 08:02:49 PM
By Yoshiki's standards this all extrememly low-scale, I doubt his grandiose plans for American domination end at a 7 stop NA Tour, we all know he has MSG and mainstream success in his sights.

I'm part-way thinking that the reason this tour is so short/brief is because it's meant to be a promotional drive in itself.

Lolla' was just one show. It got them plenty of good press, but that's not really enough. My feeling is that Yoshiki will make sure that every show is packed with reviewers from various media outlets, even small blogs, in order to generate some more buzz for the band and get their name out there.

Think of it this way, if they put the album out before the tour and no one has heard of them, by the time the tour generates any interest in the band, the majority of the buzz from their album release will be gone.

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #224 on: September 01, 2010, 09:19:16 PM
Supposedly Jade was supposed to have been released as a single sometime within the past 2 weeks or so. I don't know about you but here in California there has been nothing. Unless Yoshiki's decided on waiting until Sugizo is done with the short Luna Sea tour (since it's right after the X tour) I have no clue what the heck it might be.

CharonCaori

Reply #225 on: September 01, 2010, 09:53:06 PM
I think the NY venue has a history of overselling... so I don't think they'll put a cap on ticket sales at all. This might be a problem, especially if some assholes decide to start smoking in the crowd, but it would be awesome if we can get everybody to X jump.

Offline TheCrimsonIdol

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Last.fm
Reply #226 on: September 03, 2010, 01:54:59 AM
Regarding the question about possible opening acts, I REALLY hope it's just gonna be X at these concerts performing a good 2.5-3 hour set!

Who do you trust when everyone's a crook?

Offline Unoriginal Name X

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #227 on: September 03, 2010, 02:49:23 AM
Same here. I figure there won't be an opening act though because generally those are announced along with the tour dates so, and I think this sort of applies to X concidering thier cult status here in North America, if somebody has no interest in seeing the main act, then maybe, just maybe, they'll be willing to shell out money to purchase tickets to see the supporting act.

Offline sugizo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #228 on: September 03, 2010, 12:58:36 PM

I agree.  It's pretty sad to see how poor the PR/marketing side of X Japan is.

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #229 on: September 03, 2010, 02:12:21 PM
I posted X Japan Tour Schedule on youtube when people asked about it and on my blog also.

They need to do something, just news on TV or  be a guest on TV show.

I would like to see SOLD OUT on X Japan's my space again.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 02:29:34 PM by bahbah »

Offline jasonclarkkent

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #230 on: September 07, 2010, 12:58:05 AM
I agree.  It's pretty sad to see how poor the PR/marketing side of X Japan is.
It's so true - their marketing and PR is atrocious.  I love them to death, but, seriously?  Their marketing is piss-poor.  I have been practically trying to help market them myself by updating their Wiki with tour info (since it is the #1 hit when you search for them in Google) and begging them to update their Myspace (which they eventually did so maybe they at least understood to do that).  But come on, you're going on tour in the U.S., trying to make a splash (or wait... are they trying?).  Maybe it's just for shits and giggles for them.  Whatever, this is my main gripe with the band - they could at least make an occasional effort to communicate.

On the other hand, I love their music and hearts enough to over-look that and I'm sure I'll enjoy the NY show.  Just hope they try harder (and very soon) to let U.S. people know they exist and are freaking awesome!!

Offline jasonclarkkent

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #231 on: September 07, 2010, 01:18:48 AM
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/x-japan-confirms-north-american-tour-details-2056994.html

Word of the tour has made it into The Independant here in the UK. For those who don't know of the paper, it's one of the largest in circulation nationwide. This is a big deal.

This rocks!!! =D

Offline LunaSlave

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #232 on: September 08, 2010, 06:00:20 AM
in Toronto, you would think that the Chinatowns (yes, there's more than one) and Koreatown would have posters everywhere. Instead there's nothing...how dumb is that?

Not only is there lack of promotion, I think a huge, huge problem is the ticket prices. They've essentially confirmed that the only people who will attend are the fanatics like us, with those kinds of prices...someone who's merely 'curious' about X Japan, after seeing them in a newspaper article or whatever, would never pay that much to see them. Makes me wonder just how many tickets will be given away as comps.

Offline headpower

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #233 on: September 08, 2010, 08:38:40 AM
Even crappy chinese singer like Leo Koo get a poster in pacific mall and appears in  chinese newspaper but X japan gets nothing in the chinese community in Toronto which is really sad considering they have had concerts in Hong Kong before.

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #234 on: September 08, 2010, 03:03:52 PM
Even crappy chinese singer like Leo Koo get a poster in pacific mall and appears in  chinese newspaper but X japan gets nothing in the chinese community in Toronto which is really sad considering they have had concerts in Hong Kong before.

Haha, well I just moved to Toronto the other day for school, so maybe i'll start slapping up some posters for X's upcoming performance! :D

>~X~<

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #235 on: September 08, 2010, 03:28:14 PM

There was a lot of marketing for the HK show if I recall correctly. Posters everywhere, newspaper reports, TV commercials! However, tickets were very expensive so I guess they had to draw in a huge crowd, so the excess advertisement was justified.

Maybe you guys should have a word with the Chinese newspaper or your tourism board :)

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #236 on: September 08, 2010, 10:33:00 PM

There was a lot of marketing for the HK show if I recall correctly. Posters everywhere, newspaper reports, TV commercials! However, tickets were very expensive so I guess they had to draw in a huge crowd, so the excess advertisement was justified.

Maybe you guys should have a word with the Chinese newspaper or your tourism board :)

But then again, X Japan are well known throughout China, Korea, and of course Japan, so the promotion would have been successful, but in the west, X Japan are almost completely unknown, so getting a professional advertising firm to handle promotion for the concerts would prove difficult, because they would see X Japan as not being worth the trouble if no one has any prior knowledge of the group. For example, if a well known group like Metallica or Green Day or whatever had some promotion, a "normal" person would observe the poster and say "Oh cool, I know them, I listen to them, I think i'll get some tickets." But a "normal" person would see an X Japan poster and would say "X...who? Japan? Is this a band? Never heard of them...they must not be good then, Heath? Pa...ta? Yoshi-who?". Therefore, if nobody is aware of X Japan, nobody is going to care, and nobody will buy tickets other than the die-hard fans like us who would already know about the concert without any kind of promotion other than one post on their website.

...well, that might not be why there hasn't been any promotion, but I think its a good argument about why they would not promote in the west until they achieve a larger fan base, and especially until after they release their North American debut album later this year.

>~X~<

Offline jasonclarkkent

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #237 on: September 10, 2010, 11:15:03 PM
All of the band's shows are listed on Facebooks Events section.  The following link are the search results showing each Venue as a separate event - add yourself to the attendees and invite your friends!!!  I''ll be at Roseland Ballroom!  :)

http://www.facebook.com/search/?flt=1&q=x%20japan%20us%20tour&o=4

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #238 on: September 10, 2010, 11:53:30 PM

But then again, X Japan are well known throughout China, Korea, and of course Japan, so the promotion would have been successful, but in the west, X Japan are almost completely unknown, so getting a professional advertising firm to handle promotion for the concerts would prove difficult, because they would see X Japan as not being worth the trouble if no one has any prior knowledge of the group. For example, if a well known group like Metallica or Green Day or whatever had some promotion, a "normal" person would observe the poster and say "Oh cool, I know them, I listen to them, I think i'll get some tickets." But a "normal" person would see an X Japan poster and would say "X...who? Japan? Is this a band? Never heard of them...they must not be good then, Heath? Pa...ta? Yoshi-who?". Therefore, if nobody is aware of X Japan, nobody is going to care, and nobody will buy tickets other than the die-hard fans like us who would already know about the concert without any kind of promotion other than one post on their website.

...well, that might not be why there hasn't been any promotion, but I think its a good argument about why they would not promote in the west until they achieve a larger fan base, and especially until after they release their North American debut album later this year.

It's more about the fans who aren't constantly checking the bands progress throughout the past few years. I'm not suggesting a full marketing campaign similar to Asia but at least 'something' (maybe something you guys could do?) to catch the attention of casual fans. A couple of posters doesn't equate to 'professional advertising' but has the same amount of 'pulling power', I mean, even a fanmade poster in your University student's union will be of some effect.
Also it doesn't matter if there is a poster up and someone says "who cares", at least the intent was there. Even if it made no difference to the sales, at least it's better than not doing anything at all.

There are plenty of ways to catch the interest of the general public and they don't all cost a lot of money.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline Brandon

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #239 on: September 11, 2010, 03:14:11 AM

It's more about the fans who aren't constantly checking the bands progress throughout the past few years. I'm not suggesting a full marketing campaign similar to Asia but at least 'something' (maybe something you guys could do?) to catch the attention of casual fans. A couple of posters doesn't equate to 'professional advertising' but has the same amount of 'pulling power', I mean, even a fanmade poster in your University student's union will be of some effect.
Also it doesn't matter if there is a poster up and someone says "who cares", at least the intent was there. Even if it made no difference to the sales, at least it's better than not doing anything at all.

There are plenty of ways to catch the interest of the general public and they don't all cost a lot of money.

While all that is true, nothing seems to be happening for promotion anyway...

>~X~<