• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Did Toshi attend Heath's memorial?

Beauty/Broken · 1174

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: November 28, 2023, 08:07:43 PM
I've been reading and viewing photographs from Heath's public memorial.

It looked very beautiful and poignant.

I noted that Sugizo, Yoshiki and Pata attended together, spoke,  and had a group photograph taken alongside Heath's memorial...

But there was no sign of Toshi.

I know that Toshi has wrote about the subject on his blog and posted a cover of Eagle Sniper, but it seems quite worrying that he wasn't willing to attend the public memorial - even separately from Yoshiki. He managed to put aside his differences with Yoshiki to attend Hide's memorial after the first break up, so I wonder...

Reading the opinions of Japanese fans, some are pouring scorn on Yoshiki for 'doing a Yoshiki' at the memorial and taking the limelight, others are angry at Toshi for not leaving flowers. It seems very charged; a few examples from Twitter:

"Today was about Yoshiki and his henchmen. Toshi seems like a cool guy. I would prefer to remember Heath alone with him."

"It seems like Yoshiki and Toshi cannot be repaired, but why no flowers for Heath, Toshi?"

"At times like these, it is considerate to the deceased who wanted harmony in the band, and leave a flower tribute that says 'ToshI'. Are you trash?"
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 08:53:49 PM by Beauty/Broken »

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: November 28, 2023, 11:07:39 PM
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2304116/full/

Seems like Toshi didn't attend, nor said anything.
I was always criticizing Yoshiki for every single egomaniac attitude he had since X reunion. But Toshi didn't showing up at Heath's memorial, even alone, shows he isn't innocent as most of us thought he was.
He didn't act like that even when he was in a cult, so what the actual fuck happened he can't even pay respects to his deceased bandmate (as it looks like he didn't consider even a friend)?

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: November 29, 2023, 07:52:41 AM
https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2304116/full/

Seems like Toshi didn't attend, nor said anything.
I was always criticizing Yoshiki for every single egomaniac attitude he had since X reunion. But Toshi didn't showing up at Heath's memorial, even alone, shows he isn't innocent as most of us thought he was.
He didn't act like that even when he was in a cult, so what the actual fuck happened he can't even pay respects to his deceased bandmate (as it looks like he didn't consider even a friend)?

I agree that the optics are poor.

I think there is nuance, though. Toshi did visit Heath's body in state to say 'goodbye' and it sounds like his visit was carefully scheduled to avoid Yoshiki and the other members.

Toshi has wrote about Heath and made online tributes.

It seems that Yoshiki having organised this and the other members of X being there was the problem.

It is worth saying that there were rumours of Toshi falling out with Pata, too.

It's all a mess.

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 29, 2023, 12:01:53 PM
Poor image indeed.

Whatever happened between the band members, wouldn't this have been the perfect time to forget the own ego?

If Toshi hates Yoshiki and X Japan that much that he cannot even attend a memorial for a band mate together with other the band members than he should have least have the balls to publicly denounce his membership.

It's indeed a mess.

Offline BLUE_BLOOD

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 30, 2023, 01:12:34 PM
Everyone grieves differently. Some people don't go to funerals because it's too emotional for them. You never know what people are going through.

Offline Tahemet

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 09:32:24 AM
There was one source claiming Toshi didn't know about the ceremony.
We know the media is making up stuff so who knows if that is even true.
Hard to believe that we wouldn't have known about it.

Offline satanarchist

• I believe in a madness called "now"
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 05:26:30 PM
As mentioned above, whatever the reason, the optics are not good.