• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X Japan new song - Born to be Free

Sander · 31773

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: July 03, 2010, 05:10:08 PM
New vid upload, I think this is the clearest so far.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwjHvjFsN0[/youtube]

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: July 03, 2010, 06:58:13 PM
Thanks for the vid, Ulquiorra ;)

The intro and the interlude are beautiful and remind me why I like Yoshiki's style so much. It's a REAL shame for those guitars. I guess this is the price a band has to pay if it wants to go mainstream: less complex and far more predictable guitar work along with a really catchy melody, so everyone can immediately appreciate the song without too much effort. Unfortunately, this is the kind of songs that stays in your head for a while and then ends up being replaced by another catchy song after a couple of months. IMHO that doesn't happen with Silent Jealousy, Dahlia or even Rusty Nail, which despite its catchyness, features an interesting and more varied structure, thanks to Pata and hide's help.

Born To Be Free sounds good, but I can't say X Japan are really doing what they could and should be doing. So much potential wasted there...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:00:01 PM by Artseeker »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: July 03, 2010, 07:01:58 PM
Thanks for the vid, Ulquiorra ;)

The intro and the interlude are beautiful and remind me why I like Yoshiki's style so much. It's a REAL shame for those guitars. I guess this is the price a band has to pay if it wants to go mainstream: less complex and far more predictable guitar work along with a really catchy melody, so everyone can immediately appreciate the song without too much effort. Unfortunately, this is the kind of songs that stays in your head for a while and then ends up being replaced by another catchy song after a couple of months. IMHO that doesn't happen with Silent Jealousy, Dahlia or even Rusty Nail, which despite its catchyness, features an interesting and more varied structure, thanks to Pata and hide's help.

Born To Be Free sounds good, but I can't say X Japan are really doing what they could and should be doing. So much potential wasted there...

Yeah, the opening guitar riff is STUPIDLY simple. It also follows the same kind of formula as I.V. and Jade. I'm pretty sure that this riff is all on the E string and could be played by someone picking a guitar up for the first time. It's appalling really. I'm not really a fan of the verse either, which is also based around it.

Offline vayz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • My kinda music
Reply #63 on: July 04, 2010, 01:37:57 AM
Though frustrating I think it has a mass appeal. If they think of being successful globally, Yoshiki needed to do this. He's a wise businessman so he may have struggled between doing what they used to do (his love for metal music) and sale able to the listening public-at-large. But here in this video, I can see people going for the music...

X Japan

ONE OK ROCK

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: July 04, 2010, 02:13:43 AM
Yoshiki had better have Weekend, Kurenai and X on this new album, they have always been the most popular of their rock songs, and since one of the major points of this new album is to feature five of their most popular old songs, they can't not be on there. If Yoshiki comes out with the five songs being the most popular ballad/commercial songs, as in Rusty Nail, Dahlia, Drain/Scars, Endless Rain and Forver Love, I will be pissed!

It would be a complete kick in the balls to the fans who love the metal songs and it would be a complete kick in the balls to the songs themselves which got them where they are in the first place, they are a ROCK band, and Yoshiki needs to look back and remember what a Rock band is.

The five old songs should be Rusty Nail, Endless Rain, Weekend, Kurenai and X. If one of them is Silent Jealousy I wont mind, but it'll mean Yoshiki is trying to get a majority of emotional/ballad songs in there again. If they're trying to attract every audience, they can't leave rock/heavy metal fans out.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:24:54 AM by Ulquiorra »

shane140

Reply #65 on: July 04, 2010, 02:34:33 AM
Yoshiki had better have Weekend, Kurenai and X on this new album
Well Kurenai is definately on the album, they filmed a PV for it. X is a no brainer, it's there signature song that's been played at all of their shows, if Yoshiki leaves that out it would just be stupid. Weekend it's too hard to tell, I hope it's on it.

I just hope it's released soon, didn't they want it out before lollapalooza? and that's less than a month away, then there's the post production on the born to be free video which will slow it down too, and the midi drums show the recording isn't finished, if he leaves them in (like in violet UK)then well, laziness on Yoshiki's part.

Hopefully they'll announce the release date of the album in Paris tomorrow as well as the Paris live of course :)

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: July 04, 2010, 02:38:50 AM
Thanks for reminding me about Paris tomorrow shane.

Not sure how many poeple know, but the big 'Support for Toshi album' project that's been going on at the xradicaldreamers forums for months now is finished and the completed album with pictures, letters and drawings (from X fans around the world) is going to be given to Toshi at the Paris event tomorrow, they're not sure if they'll be able to give it to Toshi themselves personally tomorrow or or if a staff member will, they're hoping for giving the album to him directly, so look out for news on that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 02:46:14 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: July 04, 2010, 03:53:59 AM
again, like i.v and jade, i think  TOshi voice.  make Born To Be Free sound more alive. the guitar pretty much sound the same with i.v and jade. piano part make the song sounds more dramatic

Ex denxdenx

Offline freshtofu

• Sunday Listener
  • yoran2009x
    • View Profile
    • my blog
Reply #68 on: July 04, 2010, 08:22:36 AM

I just hope it's released soon, didn't they want it out before lollapalooza? and that's less than a month away, then there's the post production on the born to be free video which will slow it down too, and the midi drums show the recording isn't finished, if he leaves them in (like in violet UK)then well, laziness on Yoshiki's part.

Exactly, I was thinking about Lollapalooza too.. I think this song is simply catchy enough and would instantly appeal to western audience.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: July 04, 2010, 10:02:40 AM
It is definitely a song that will appeal to people at lollapalooza. It is simple, catchy and I think people will like it. Yoshiki would be a fool to leave those midi drums in as they sound awful and proper real drums are needed! The song is not their best but it will do the trick and appeal to a mass audience which is what they are aiming for. I do like the string section, not so sure about the piano.

One thing I am concerned about is that they are forgetting about their back catalogue. A band performs on tv/festival and sales of their previous albums etc increase dramatically in the following days. People will try and buy X’s previous work but it is so difficult to buy albums that they could miss out on some potential fans due to the difficulty in buying their work. Even if the new album is out they should make their old stuff more accessible – reissue ALL albums (although we know this is very unlikely as VV seems to have been erased from the memory) and DVDs, make them accessible overseas (not Japanese imports that are £20/£25 a pop as the price will put off potential fans that are unsure of them just based on expense), perhaps even release all albums on iTunes as people can access them straight away.

If the new CD is not out and people cannot easily access the older albums then the longer Yoshiki waits to release an album etc the more people will forget about them (especially talking about the more mainstream audience) and they could miss out on their big chance to break into a wider audience. The people likely to profit from this will be bootleggers such as Miya records as people will buy what is available on ebay either that or download illegally which doesn’t help the band. Sometimes bands do themselves no favours and it is no wonder people download, artists complain about it but if work is not accessible then what are fans to do!

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is all very well making a popular/mainstream/catchy song to attract a new audience but if people can't access the rest of your work then what is the point in trying to get new fans?

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: July 04, 2010, 03:15:45 PM
I also think it's too mainstream and simple. A lot of X JAPAN's songs have great guitar parts. It's why I like X JAPAN. This song is really predictable and bores me..it's probably drop tuning...hide made some simple riffs in drop but they were not so mainstream.
I think X JAPAN might need a strange and interesting song like Love Replica or Scars, just for some variation, or a real rock song.
There are a many X fans that like the band because of that. By having a more modern new style they'll get a new audience but loose some of the old fans. They should be faithfull to their roots or shouldn't call the band X JAPAN.

The true Way of sword fencing is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this. If you attain and adhere to the wisdom of my strategy, you need never doubt that you will win.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #71 on: July 04, 2010, 04:01:32 PM
Does anyone know if the lyrics are available anywhere?  Probably a big ask...

We are X!!!!!

shane140

Reply #72 on: July 04, 2010, 05:11:15 PM
According to @ongakudojo's twitter in a press conference they said the new album will be released this autumn and the paris live will be in 2011.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #73 on: July 04, 2010, 05:24:55 PM
I'm not sure if that's right. I heard from a friend that they did not really say "2011" but I'll try to fine a reliable source that's giving more details. oO

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

shane140

Reply #74 on: July 04, 2010, 05:31:06 PM
Hmm, ok then, thanX!

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: July 04, 2010, 09:51:23 PM
A very well done cover (no visuals just the song), the singer did extremely well, though the solo was mostly made up, I've listened carefully to the real one and it sounds a lot different then that.

Though their version of the midi version of the orchestrated section sounds weaker than the proper Orchestra X's version has, in my opinion that orchestrated part near the end sounds a lot better without the voice on top of it.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 10:10:56 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Ashura Shadow

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: July 04, 2010, 10:34:23 PM
According to @ongakudojo's twitter in a press conference they said the new album will be released this autumn and the paris live will be in 2011.

I sent an email to the webmaster of Ongaku Dojo, and they said they would soon post a report about the press conference! They confirmed that no precise date had been announced, but that the concert would take place in 2011. This explains why Toshi & Yoshiki didn't say anything during the showcase... if it does take place in 2011, maybe they will do it during Japan Expo... the bets are open again!! xD

Now I can't wait to read the full report... I'm so relieved they won't do it this autumn, it means I can travel freely during this period without having to worry about missing the live  :D

EDIT: the full report is here : http://www.ongaku-dojo.fr/2010/07/conference-de-presse-x-japan/

They did say that the album was due for this autumn. When asked if the World Tour would happen in 2011 in Europe, they said yes, when asked if they would do a live in France, they said yes.

However, JaME reports that they said "hopefully, yes". Don't really know if that makes a difference, but it probably means that they won't come to Europe in 2010, but hope to come in 2011 ?

(and I just noticed we're in the 'Born to be free' thread... I'm totally off-topic, haha)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:37:25 PM by Ashura Shadow »

I'm at my wits' end.

shane140

Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 01:57:01 AM
Well in the interview I posted in the expo topic, they've just recorded an English version of Tears, so that's another ballad that'll be on the album, I like it alot though, so I'm not complaining. :)

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #78 on: July 05, 2010, 10:27:06 AM
...perhaps even release all albums on iTunes as people can access them straight away.
Right now, Blue Blood and Jealousy (as well as the I.V. single and Violet UK's Blue Butterfly) are available on the US iTunes at least. Dahlia on there would be great also, Vanishing Vision... Well I guess, but it might scare some new fans XD

This is my administrator color.

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: July 06, 2010, 08:46:40 PM
...perhaps even release all albums on iTunes as people can access them straight away.
Right now, Blue Blood and Jealousy (as well as the I.V. single and Violet UK's Blue Butterfly) are available on the US iTunes at least. Dahlia on there would be great also, Vanishing Vision... Well I guess, but it might scare some new fans XD

That’s cool, in the UK iTunes we only have the I.V. single and Violet UK’s Blue Butterfly. It is good the US iTunes has Blue Blood and Jealousy as people who go to lollapalooza and like the music will be able to explore some of their awesome back catalogue! Hopefully the other iTunes will get the albums too - spreading the love! Haha, you are right Hypno, Vanishing Vision could easily scare some new fans!!

I can’t believe there are covers out already of Born to be Free – fast work! If only X worked as fast we would not have to keep waiting on this album!  ;D

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: July 06, 2010, 10:41:44 PM
Toshi & Yoshiki didn't say anything during the showcase... if it does take place in 2011, maybe they will do it during Japan Expo...

Not during Japan Expo again!!!! They don't need that. It is better a concert like other bands do. Lining for hours at Japan expo, thereafter lining for hours before that Live House get open...I prefer a concert apart from that Japan Expo!!!

Offline IronMaitallica

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: July 06, 2010, 11:23:00 PM
Honestly, I'm satisfied by it. It may be simple, but I'd prefer for a band to be more concerned about making a good song than a complex one (unlike Dream Theater for the past ten years). But still, it would be great if they could do another really kick-ass thrash song.

Offline Rafaell

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Mizerable
Reply #82 on: July 07, 2010, 01:36:30 AM
X Japan trying to make it big in the western world. They tried that back in 1991-1992 with songs like Joker and Desperate angel, those both sounded like it would be songs from a bad american hardrock band from the 80s. 2010, with Born to be free, i think it will be the same, but this time it sounds like songs from the 90s. Im disappointed. Still i love X Japan forever.

X Japan will never be "big" on this side of the world. X Japan is as big now as it can ever be. The INTERNET X-Freaks are the real X Japan fans outside of Japan and thats how it will be.

When i hear an X Japan song on the radio here in Sweden, then i know i was wrong.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:52:09 AM by Rafaell »

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: July 07, 2010, 08:22:37 PM
I was just watching another new recording of Born to be Free, and it seems this recording has picked up something small that none of the other recordings have. On the last chorus at 4:20 in the video straight after the line "nobondy can steal our life away", you can hear that unlike the other choruses in the song, there are a couple of interesting pitch changes that Toshi does, I'm glad the last chorus didn't sound exactly like the first two.

Small change but I thought it was interesting, hopefully they'll be as clear as that in the studio version and not made into unhearable background singing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YveaK0DbQc[/youtube]

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: July 07, 2010, 08:57:44 PM
I really love this song, I love all the aspects of this song.
And especially Toshi singing a song with the title 'Born to be free' and the image of a women captured in a cage!!!
Love it!!!
Very good done!!!

Offline andi3

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KARMIA
Reply #85 on: July 07, 2010, 09:10:26 PM
I also like this song a lot, and all the new songs really. And I don't see them as ballads. It's pretty obvious that this is the kind of material that other possible new songs in the future would also be.

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: July 07, 2010, 09:16:54 PM
I liked very of this music new of the X

Offline sora2252

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • twitter
Reply #87 on: July 07, 2010, 10:11:16 PM
I really like the song! It doesn't sound much like the old X, but that's not necessarily bad. I love their old music, but I think is more modern and if they could keep this type of music and maybe pepper in some of their older styling flavor it would make for some very interesting new music! 

Offline Jorge

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:21 AM
I dont really get the completely random halftime break, and really don't like the guitar work.. Sounds like something Yoshiki has written (y'know, like the violet uk stuff (same with Jade and IV)), i'm pretty much sure Sugizo and Pata would be able to come up with something alot better.

Other then that, the progression & amazing chorus are just great... Again something Yoshiki is good at.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: July 08, 2010, 12:37:13 PM
Someone recorded the first half of Born to be Free in perfect high quality (cutting off just before the solo) from the conference at the party. It was really dissapointing when they cut the music off when Toshi and Yoshiki turned up XD.

I don't like the sounds of things clattering they've implemented in the songs while Toshi's singing at certain points.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhrD-db-kDU[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:41:17 PM by Ulquiorra »