• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

World Anthem

Hollywood · 2776

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
on: March 02, 2008, 09:55:49 PM
X's "Prologue (~World Anthem)" is a cover of "World Anthem" by Mahogany Rush.

Weird thing happened today.  I was putting away one of my Nazareth records (yeah, records!) and for the first time paid attention to what's printed on the liner sleeve thing.  Turns out it's actually the liner sleeve from Mahogany Rush's 1977 album... World Anthem.  And it's got a long description of the song "World Anthem", written by Frank Marino, the guy who also wrote the song.  Thought someone might be interested in seeing this, so here you go:

"Throughout all the different places I've been and all the different beings I have met, in this world and the other, I have found in each one of them a certain longing for something that seemed to be missing from their lives and dreams.  After contemplating this and arriving at the conclusion that what we are searching for is ultimately the same thing, peace and unity-- I decided that the most useful part I could play in the achievement of this goal would be to create a world anthem.  I did this in the hope that it might become the thread that would link together all sentient beings by virtue of the fact that it would state, openly and proudly, that which is deep in each ones heart.  The World Anthem is not meant for any one nation, as past anthems have always been-- but collectively for every nation, every race, and literally every man, woman, and child, in the world.  I realize the Idealism in my statements and I know that many will say that my dream for a unified world will never come to pass.  Maybe so, but I can only answer them this; the most powerful force in any age has always been an idea... and dreams have always been the basic weave in the fabric of any reality...

Frank Marino,
January 10, 1977"

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 12:38:14 AM
Fits to what Yoshiki said about the "violet". When I remember it right he called it a skin colour or something like that. Damn it, I don't remember it clearly. It was something like a global skin colour. Does someone else maybe remember that clearer? (I searched his blog right now, since I thought, he said it there, but couldn't find it :roll:)

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 08:10:20 AM
ThanX for posting, Hollywood - that's indeed interesting to read :)

Quote from: "VioletCamicat"
Fits to what Yoshiki said about the "violet". When I remember it right he called it a skin colour or something like that. Damn it, I don't remember it clearly. It was something like a global skin colour. Does someone else maybe remember that clearer? (I searched his blog right now, since I thought, he said it there, but couldn't find it :roll:)

With 'violet' Yoshiki wanted to create something that wasn't there before - something new and unknown. That is for skincolors. There are existing white, black, yellow, red and so on, but no violet. Which actually should stand for all races put together into something new.
And if you remember Yoshiki's definition of red and blue, that also could mean a feeling which is hard to describe, but I think also well known to many people - blue as sad and desperate, red as angry, like a berserk - which also fits very well to Yoshiki's performances. Well put it together and you receive violet - a confusing feeling of anger, hate, desperation, sadness, alltogether.

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 11:55:00 AM
Quote from: "Maverick"
And if you remember Yoshiki's definition of red and blue, that also could mean a feeling which is hard to describe, but I think also well known to many people - blue as sad and desperate, red as angry, like a berserk - which also fits very well to Yoshiki's performances. Well put it together and you receive violet - a confusing feeling of anger, hate, desperation, sadness, alltogether.

:D I know! For me it's the ultimate middle between all - a balance.
Thanx for helping my memory, hehe. That is what I meant. I think it's somehow really well fitting to the description from World Anthem.

mod mode

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 08:57:58 PM
Forgot about this thread 'til now. :P

That's cool about the violet skin color thing.  Where/when did he talk about that by the way, was it indeed in his blog?  It sounds really familiar but now I can't remember where it was that I saw it before... thanX for explaining it though. :)  Yeah, very similar in concept to World Anthem, though I'll admit that before I read that description of the song, I figured X just chose to cover it because it sounds so cool and makes a nice intro.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 12:03:28 AM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
I figured X just chose to cover it because it sounds so cool and makes a nice intro.

Well, to me "Dear Loser" sounds cooler and makes a better intro...  :twisted:

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 12:39:36 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
That's cool about the violet skin color thing.  Where/when did he talk about that by the way, was it indeed in his blog?  It sounds really familiar but now I can't remember where it was that I saw it before... thanX for explaining it though. :)

That was in 2002, I think when he first started to make VioletUK public. It wasn't in his blog, tho. I got it from a VioletUK fansite which worked on regular updates to that project. And there was also that explanation translated into English.

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:17:49 PM
Quote from: "Maverick"
That was in 2002, I think when he first started to make VioletUK public. It wasn't in his blog, tho. I got it from a VioletUK fansite which worked on regular updates to that project. And there was also that explanation translated into English.

Aaah! Then I mixed it up in my mind. :oops: ThanX for clatifying!

mod mode