• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshl's New Nickname

lakeisle · 2179

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
on: February 03, 2018, 06:11:12 AM
I just listened to Toshl's "All Night Nippon". Toshl explained the meaning of his new nickname "龍玄とし(ryugentoshi)".

In the literal sense, 龍(ryu) means dragon.

玄(gen) means black, profound and turtle.

とし is hiragana of Toshi/Toshl.

"龍玄とし" is a combination of those 3 letters.

Toshl says he wants to rise like a dragon. At the same time, he wants to play beautiful music of an abyss step by step like a turtle. He says "Please remember my another name with these wishes"

Toshl's new song "Masquerade' was released as a name of "龍玄とし(ryugentoshi)".

Toshl didn't talk about this himself, but I found that 龍玄(ryugen) is also a name of Kamen Rider. Kamen Rider is a Japanese character wearing masks. (Kamen means mask in Japanese) Probably this nickname is related to his song title "Masquerade".

ㄴ It is written "龍玄とし" on the fan.

ㄴ This scarf pattern describes "龍玄".

You can see the hashtag #龍玄とし on his instagram.

Teemeah

Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:34:18 AM
wow thank you! I was wondering about the sudden dragon signs on his SNS, too. I can recognise the kanji of dragon, as it is the same in Chinese (I can read a few Chinese characters). I didn't know why suddenly everything was dragon-related on his SNS. Maybe that's why he also sang Sugizo's Hinotori, too? (I think the scarf has a phoenix rather than a Japanese dragon).

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:01:49 AM
Yes. G-dragon's name also has this character. As you said, the scarf print looks like a phoenix in someway. But considering the banner(?) behind him is written "Toshllove" and "龍玄とし", it's a present from Toshl's fans who wished to celebrate his new nickname. Plus, there is only hashtag #龍玄とし on the related Toshl's instagram. 

The animal on the scarf may be a visual-key dragon. (But it is missing sunglasses 8))

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 06:22:26 AM
Ohhhh. . . So that's what those Kanji/Hiragana characters translated to. I was wondering about that. Ryugentoshi, huh? Sounds pretty neat.