• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi and Heath at a boxing match

Guest · 4260

shane140

on: October 06, 2009, 05:10:35 PM
I'm so bored so i thought i would just share this with you, i think it's from last night, Toshi sings the Japanese national anthem then him and Heath  shake the boxer's hands.

Interesting...and there's a Nice shout/scream as always.

Offline obi325

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 05:39:16 PM
Did Toshi scream Tokyo Dome at the end? (and why was Heath on stage?)

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 05:58:03 PM
i think he screamed thank you

Ex denxdenx

shane140

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 06:30:31 PM
yeah i was wondering why Heath was there, probably to just say good luck to the boxers.

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 06:48:06 PM
toshis screaming during the song was awful :(

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 07:28:32 PM

He can't reach the high notes anymore, so instead of doing what most singers do and lower the songs they sing to suit their range he screams the notes he can't reach.

I don't know why he does it, it sounds pants.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 07:30:29 PM by Beauty/Broken »

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:29:15 PM
Interesting, although it would have been extra exciting if this was at DREAM 11.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 11:04:07 PM
If he did this at DREAM I would murder him.

ben

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 06:24:11 AM
oh, nice video, thanks. on Toshi's blog there is a picture of him and Heath backstage at this event, or before it. the screaming is a little bit too much hehe,  but nice to listen. and yeah i thought he screamed Tokyo Dome at the end as well lol
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 06:25:50 AM by ben »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 09:10:50 AM

He can't reach the high notes anymore, so instead of doing what most singers do and lower the songs they sing to suit their range he screams the notes he can't reach.

I agree that this wasn't a very nice performance, but I don't understand people saying that he needs to sing lower, as if he can't hit those high notes anymore. From his solo performances, it is shown that he can hit those notes. Maybe it is just a style he is continuing to develop?

Offline MIHO

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 12:58:49 PM

I agree that this wasn't a very nice performance, but I don't understand people saying that he needs to sing lower, as if he can't hit those high notes anymore. From his solo performances, it is shown that he can hit those notes. Maybe it is just a style he is continuing to develop?

I agree.
Or he was tired, or he had a sore throat, ... You can't say you know what was going on, unless you're Toshi himself, right? :p
And it's true that he's changing his style. There was a lot of fuss about a vid where he and Wanku sing together, and he screams the high notes. People thought his voice was completely screwed, while Toshi himself said he wanted to "scream" more in songs.

Offline cherrybeary520x

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 03:27:36 AM
sorry toshi, but the high points were terrible......but good

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: October 10, 2009, 04:04:48 PM
In order to fully understand my post you'll need to have listened to old metal/rock vocalists like Robert Plant/Ian Gillan/Rob Halford.

Toshi can hit those high notes, but the problem is his durability, his durability to sing for a period of time without losing his breath or holding a note for a long time is absolutly sh*te, the worst I've seen from any metal singer, yet he's still my favourite singer.

Even though Toshi clearly has one of the highest vocal ranges I've ever seen (same as or better than Rob Halford imo) he has never (until recently) properly tried any common and expected vocal techniques from a singer with that kind of range, like falsettos.

Even in footage of clips from 1986/87 ect. Which was meant to be his prime, when it came to a section where in the studio version of the songs he was singing he was meant to do a falsetto, or several within that song, he avoided them completely, like he couldn't handle even one of them, he didn't even attempt them, and when you look at bands like Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Judas Priest in their prime, it just makes you wonder, wtf is Toshi doing avoiding any kind of falsetto or scream (the good kind) techniques. I'm not suggesting bands have to perform the exact same version as studio, that's retarded, but avoiding them completely? In basically every performace of the songs? Just really odd, really odd for a metal vocalist with a high pitch range in his early twenty's.

Another good example is ALIVE, in the late eighties when he was singing that song, he was at the age where with the vocal range he has, he should've been able to pull that song off perfectly, but he never did, barely attempted to reach the notes, and always seemed he was out of breath.

If Halford could sing songs like Exciter and Dreamer Deciever, Ian Gillian could sing songs like Child In Time, Plant could sing Communication Breakdown Down and Whole Lotta love, all at the age of 20-25 with no problems, (in fact I've seen every proffesional metal singer manage to sing songs with high notes consistantly like that), Then why can't Toshi do it? And why does he act like he's dying on stage trying to sing them?

And then in the early nineties you could see constantly in songs like blue Blood he was always out of breath and barely managing to sing them.

Toshi in the late eighties/early nineties when he was around 20 years old was struggling to sing songs like Rob Halford is now at 58 years old.

His voice cracking was also a problem throughout the late eightees to 1997. Now they've reunited and Toshi has improved his voice in some ways, his voice doesn't sound thin or like he's bored anymore like it did in 1996/1997 and it doesn't sound like he has a stuffed nose like in 1994.

However his durability to hold notes or sing consistantly for a period of time is at its worst, he's getting like Ozzy Osbourne now, luckily he still has the same range as before.

The only thing he's done for the past months is make healing songs, the new T-Earth albums do not require hard vocal work, and shouldn't do to a proffesional vocalist like him, so when there's been a couple of months since his last major concert, and he can't even sing the National Anthem (assuming that's what it is) for an important event broadcast on live tv that consists of ten lines at most before screaming, there's something majorly wrong. And I wish Toshi would adress it instead of going "yeah, wasn't that great? Hey come to my healing T-Earth concerts, because the power of my voice is so awesome it'll heal the planet!".

No Toshi, no it isn't, seek major vocal training.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 04:34:39 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: October 10, 2009, 04:52:14 PM
From what I understand, Toshi changed his vocal style to involve the "screams" sometime between T-Earth's debut and the Akasaka Blitz show.

If you listen to the reunion concerts from last year you will notice that Toshi tries to approach the songs and the high notes as any other singer would... but it's a little hit or miss as to if he hits them or not - he has clearly lost some of his range which he had circa The Last Live. So, it seems to me that since then he decided to just replace the high notes with screams, in a way to simply cover his blushes under the guise of "It's rock and roll to scream".

My stance remains adament. He should just do what Ryuichi did for Luna Sea's reunion, accept his range has decreased and ask the band to perform the songs a few tones lower so he can comfortably hit the highs.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: October 10, 2009, 06:15:55 PM
The expectations I always had for Toshi before X reunited was that he was one of the greatest metal vocalists that would be able to retain their voices through his fifties, Like Bruce Dickinson, Dio ect. and I still believe that, he has that power and range in his voice, he can do it. He doesn't need to slow down or drop the tone in any of the songs yet (and he hasn't ruined his voice like Ozzy, Hetfield and Halford has yet), he's only 45, that's too early for the kind of Legendary vocalist I believe he is.

Toshi just needs to stop thinking everything is going great and actually listen to himself sing and realise that he needs to fix not only what's happening to his voice now, but the problems he's always had. He needs to get more vocal training to fix these problems or even see a doctor to examine his throat/vocal choards, because I believe what happens to him when he sings (what's always happened to him) is quite strange.

I feel I have to say again that Toshi has not lost any range, and even if he has its only a couple of moments in Forever Love that he hasn't managed to do so far. As for his vocal range in The Last Live, it was higher actually, but that doesn't matter since it sounded whiny and thin, had no power to it, listen to Toshi sing 'X' and 'Orgasm' on the last live, his vocals sound so thin and weak like he's bored and can't be bothered to sing. Other songs from the last live sounded bad because of his whiny high pitch at the time, "but you still, shone into my heart" on Kurenai sounded painfully bad to me. The chorus's of Endless Rain made me ears bleed.

When Toshi sang Forever Love though, that was incredible, insanely high and still sounded beautiful, however he only sang that high imo because he was so emotional at that point he put more emotion into the song than ever before, and as it was one of the last songs of the last live before they disbanded and he didn't have to preserve his voice for any more shows, he just poured everything into it.

Toshi never sang Forever love that high any year before that.

If next year Toshi's voice completely recovered, as in no more cracking vocals or horrible sounding screams, and he came back with his clear voice and raw rasp voice techniques, and he got really emotional one night and had to sing Forever love at an X concert, I reckon we'd get pretty much the same vocal peformance as 1997.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:14:07 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: October 10, 2009, 07:36:01 PM
it was a bad scream >.<
From what I understand, Toshi changed his vocal style to involve the "screams" sometime between T-Earth's debut and the Akasaka Blitz show.

If you listen to the reunion concerts from last year you will notice that Toshi tries to approach the songs and the high notes as any other singer would... but it's a little hit or miss as to if he hits them or not - he has clearly lost some of his range which he had circa The Last Live. So, it seems to me that since then he decided to just replace the high notes with screams, in a way to simply cover his blushes under the guise of "It's rock and roll to scream".

My stance remains adament. He should just do what Ryuichi did for Luna Sea's reunion, accept his range has decreased and ask the band to perform the songs a few tones lower so he can comfortably hit the highs.

after reunion concert, he performed almost perfectly in hongkong concert. look at the beautiful art of life in both days. i dont know what happen to toshi, but i felt like sometimes he sing very good, sometimes awful. dunno why, only toshi know the answer. i think toshi perform forever love better in dahlia tour final, almost perfect.

yes ulquiorra, tears chorus also make my ears bleed. he never sang the chorus again. dunno why?

Ex denxdenx

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: October 10, 2009, 08:11:47 PM
I'm sorry denx, I just realised that I didn't mean Tears, I meant Endless Rain, when Toshi sang the Chorus to Endless Rain on the last live it made my ears bleed.

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 04:05:21 AM
not a problem ulquira ^_^  but i love endless rain on the last live, very2 touching

Ex denxdenx