HELP - Which guitar and equipment?

nage · 3417

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
on: March 02, 2009, 12:40:07 AM
I want a guitar.

But unfortunatelly I'm a complete n00b when it comes to electric guitars. With acoustic guitars eveything's so easy and one doesn't really need both much money and other equipment to buy. But with electric guitar it seems complicated and confusing... for me at least.

I'd appreciate any kind of help with this subject. What all do I have to buy and what would be best for me?

And what I want to play? Being a glam/sleaze rock & metal fan......... ;)

Thanks a lot!!!

ROCK 'N' ROLL!

May X be with you!

pinku_

Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:21:35 AM
hmmm... what you have to buy is not really the question because if you have the budget for it --- you can buy those really branded ones / custom make yours.

what would be best for you, we all can't tell --- even you won't be able to tell at this moment because, well, i don't know for others but for me its not the guitarist who chooses the guitar type but its the guitar.

if you feel your guitar and you can play like a team then that is your guitar. like me, i wanted to do bass before but somehow when i tried it, its not fitting with me. so now i am working on lead. it doesnt mean you can't learn the ones you want --- if you try hard, you will be able to learn, but in the end you will see which one fits you best.

Offline HarZy

• Fan
  • Sex, drugs and visual shock
    • View Profile
    • My Last.fm profile
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:58:02 AM
Well, for your first guitar I suggest to spend at least 200€ + 100-150€ for the amplifier. Epiphone's Les Paul models or Yamaha's wannabe Stratocasters could work nicely. And for the amp I'd get a Roland Cube (the smallest one, costs about 100€ and is very nice, has lots of different effects, etc).

Offline nage

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 07:11:17 AM
Thanks guys. :) I've been told that I should try Epiphone's Les Paul now twice.... so I might go that way. When it comes to budget I have now about £500 for it so it shouldn't be a problem I guess...

Who has some more ideas and recommendations please let me know!

May X be with you!

Offline Orbis

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:36:40 AM
ESP's LTD models are quite cheap and play well. They also have a les paul model as well as explorer and Flying-V models too.
And I agree with Harzy: Roland's MicroCube is the best amp for a beginner.
You could also get a BC Rich Mockingbird. Cheapest ones cost about 320£.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:43:08 AM by Orbis »

Week End, Week End, Week End, I'm at My Wit's End"

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 10:00:26 AM
well, for a beginner I recommend an ibanez guitar: GRG170DX-BKN . it's about 230 EUR. amplifier I would recommend a line 6 one.

Offline julien

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • GTOpro
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 05:19:25 PM
You can see the "Killer" collection... I think it's expensive but they are maybe the best to play Metal :)  (this is the creation of the guitarist and founder of Loudness ^^)

X JAPAN [Belgian Street Team]

| ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄ ̄|
 |We want old songs ! |
 |___________|
       ∧∧ ||
    ( ゚д゚)||
    / づΦ

Offline Envenom

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 08:20:58 PM
well, for a beginner I recommend an ibanez guitar: GRG170DX-BKN . it's about 230 EUR. amplifier I would recommend a line 6 one.

Yeah, I'd suggest that too. GRG/RG models are great. Don't like Epiphone Les Pauls a lot myself, I like SGs a lot better.
If you want to got for something really cheap and okay, get a Ibanez starter's pack. You get an okay guitar, a gig bag, a strap, a whammy bar and a nice and fuzzy sounding amp. Set me back 200 euros and I still play on it every once in a while.

http://www.myspace.com/sunrisehmsh

SUNRISE: the heavy metal benchpressing maniacs running wild!