X Japan World Tour @ Fox Theatre, Oakland, CA - September 28th

Sander · 37549

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #60 on: September 29, 2010, 06:13:29 AM
i.v next. same setlist as last show, fair for everyshow, got the same setlist, lol

agree ^_^

CharonCaori

Reply #61 on: September 29, 2010, 06:24:18 AM
Encore break!

@Hirokiful
http://yfrog.com/myrysqj

Haha, is that a squirt gun? Or is Toshi just really, really freaking happy to see them?

@summanaro
OH GOD OH GOD X JAPAN CONCERT COMMERCIAL ON MY FUCKING TV. I JUST FLAILED AT MY TV.

Wow, PUBLICITY! Look at that!! It's about freaking time.

And I think the encore has started...

1.SE
2.JADE
3.Rusty Nail
4. Silent Jealousy
5. Drain
6. Violin+piano solo
7. Kurenai
8. Born to Be Free
9. Drum Solo
10. I.V.
11. X
---------
12. Endless Rain
13. Art of Life

There are rumors that Yoshiki is wearing a yukata? Want pics.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:46:07 AM by CharonCaori »

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog

CharonCaori

Reply #63 on: September 29, 2010, 06:59:50 AM
So cute! Thank you! Haha, I missed the picture before.

Forever love SE now.

1.SE
2.JADE
3.Rusty Nail
4. Silent Jealousy
5. Drain
6. Violin+piano solo
7. Kurenai
8. Born to Be Free
9. Drum Solo
10. I.V.
11. X
---------
12. Endless Rain
13. Art of Life
14. Forever Love SE

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #64 on: September 29, 2010, 07:02:49 AM
So cute! Thank you! Haha, I missed the picture before.

Forever love SE now.

1.SE
2.JADE
3.Rusty Nail
4. Silent Jealousy
5. Drain
6. Violin+piano solo
7. Kurenai
8. Born to Be Free
9. Drum Solo
10. I.V.
11. X
---------
12. Endless Rain
13. Art of Life
14. Forever Love SE

Thank you so much for update, 2 am here ,I gotta go.

Sleep well everyone ^_^

CharonCaori

Reply #65 on: September 29, 2010, 07:04:21 AM

Sleep well everyone ^_^
It's 2AM here, too. I'm going to bed soon, I have tests...ugh. Good night! Hope everyone liked the show, make sure to tell us all about it!!

Offline bahbah

• Sunday Listener
  • X Japan Forever
    • View Profile
    • blog
Reply #66 on: September 29, 2010, 07:17:19 AM

Sleep well everyone ^_^
It's 2AM here, too. I'm going to bed soon, I have tests...ugh. Good night! Hope everyone liked the show, make sure to tell us all about it!!

Oh , Good luck with your test ^_^

Good night !

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #67 on: September 29, 2010, 07:43:20 AM
Well it's actually pretty normal to have the same setlist for the whole tour, no? oO;

I agree that it might be boring if there aren't any surprises, but well, if I was planning to go to one of the later concerts, I'd just not check to much about the first ones... XD

Waiting for nice pictures now...:)

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: September 29, 2010, 08:27:35 AM
Thanks for the updates. I don't mind the same setlist being used a lot, but I hope they have a song change at least once during the tour.

Kurenai opening

I really don't like how they've taken out hide's guitar intro and Toshi's opening verse, they were very iconic moments of the song, you can't just get rid of them just because you can't have hide on a screen.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 08:33:48 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline roseofpain84

• Fan
  • [X Japan] and [Harry Potter] obsessed.
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: September 29, 2010, 08:36:22 AM
I don't mind the same set list at all but because it was mentioned that there might be changes, I guess we all are waiting for them...XD Kind of anticlimactic if they don't happen...XD
Well, as I'm in the European side of the ocean and can't attend any of the lives I don't have to worry THAT much about what they are playing.

So, because sleep won the battle and I was peacefully snoring while the live took place.....do we know anything about the attendance number and the crowd reception in general? I only saw info on the setlist so far.

Yeah, I'm a Yoshiki fangirl. SUE ME.

Offline ForeverFades

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: September 29, 2010, 08:38:39 AM
I'm sure there's a reason for it.  I think it's mostly due to not being allowed to show hide..

But yeah, it's pretty common to have the same setlist throughout the tour.  There might be changes at the end of the tour, but yeah.  Also, ya gotta consider that X is probably playing this tour safely and keeping it close to the chest.. They're trying out an entirely new audience, an entire new country, Yoshiki's not new to this and understands that the fans are aware it's a Japanese band but he's not just trying to please the old fans but reach out to new ones.

Kinda gotta be forgiving at least a little bit.  This isn't a safe place where X can pretty much do whatever and play whatever on stage.. This is an all new demographic.  I am hopeful that this is going to be the first tour of the states and we'll have at least a couple more to look forward to.  I mean, Aerosmith is well into their late 50's and going on tour... I think we'll be treated the same with these guys.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #71 on: September 29, 2010, 09:18:19 AM

This is my administrator color.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #72 on: September 29, 2010, 09:20:36 AM

Endless Rain

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:24 AM
Jade

Offline peso

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: September 29, 2010, 09:45:12 AM

I really don't like how they've taken out hide's guitar intro and Toshi's opening verse, they were very iconic moments of the song, you can't just get rid of them just because you can't have hide on a screen.

My favorite opening was the one with piano and vocals. I can't remember when they did that but I remember hearing it on some bootleg. In my opinion they should have either the guitar+vocals intro or try piano+violion+vocals without the guitar intro part.
In my opinion the thing they have done lately with first piano+violin then guitar+vocal just doesn't work. The latter just feels out of place.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:26 AM
First half of Silent Jealousy (well, Toshi singing the opening on his own, and then a minute of the song, also, Japanese version)

Toshi is kicking ass.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:58:10 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline StarWarsArtist

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: September 29, 2010, 10:00:22 AM
First half of Silent Jealousy (well, Toshi singing the opening on his own, and then a minute of the song, also, Japanese version)

Toshi is kicking ass.

Oh man, yeah! He NAILED it!!

IWillBeAStarWarsArtist.blogspot.com
xjapanrox.deviantart.com/gallery

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: September 29, 2010, 10:03:45 AM
Not very good quality, last half of Kurenai, titled Rusty Nail because uploader fail.

The line outside the theatre, I think its safe to say the show sold out.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:28:44 AM by Ulquiorra »

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #78 on: September 29, 2010, 10:51:07 AM
There were about 2000 people there according to this report:

http://www.mercurynews.com/music/ci_16203878?nclick_check=1

The author doesn't seem very fond of X...  ::)

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #79 on: September 29, 2010, 11:11:34 AM

Toshi is kicking ass.

he can nailed it because its japanese? if he still sing in english, maybe he cant , lol

Oh man, yeah! He NAILED it!!

Ex denxdenx

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #80 on: September 29, 2010, 11:17:20 AM

but still, credit for toshi

Ex denxdenx

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: September 29, 2010, 11:24:06 AM

Wait... So he says that X Japan wont conquer America, despite playing to 2000 people at a gig which has received little or no promotion and was only really announced about a month ago?

Sure, he thinks X are garbage - but so are the Jonas Brothers to a lot of people, they're still hugely successful.

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: September 29, 2010, 12:27:36 PM
What this proves that X Japan already has a solid following in North America and YES they will be able to convert more people as long as they are given the chance. Enthusiasm is contagious. When it comes to theatrics Yoshiki has stated that he is trying to bring back the stage show effect to rock music, which has kind of went out of style with grunge.
Why shouldn't he? Why shouldn't the fans get their money's worth? I say: Go Yoshiki, go X!

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline purplexpride

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: September 29, 2010, 12:33:56 PM
As far as the members and the audience enjoy the show, I think they get successful. It will sound terrible if 50% of 2000 people don't like their show which I previously found from Lives@Yokohama (mostly came from people who watched online broadcast.) Anyway, feedback from people who attended the lives sound good almost 95%, as far as I can see.

To tell the truth, I felt furious when I saw Lives in US looked very good, compare to Lives@Yokohama where I attended. They give US audience very good shows, but crummy ones to their loyal fans in JP. IMO  :P
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 12:39:19 PM by purplexpride »

Offline anna_lepard

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #84 on: September 29, 2010, 12:37:00 PM
Any publicity is good publicity.  The more people write bad about x  the more young people get interested.

Offline Palma

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: September 29, 2010, 12:59:14 PM
As far as the members and the audience enjoy the show, I think they get successful. It will sound terrible if 50% of 2000 people don't like their show which I previously found from Lives@Yokohama (mostly came from people who watched online broadcast.) Anyway, feedback from people who attended the lives sound good almost 95%, as far as I can see.

To tell the truth, I felt furious when I saw Lives in US looked very good, compare to Lives@Yokohama where I attended. They give US audience very good shows, but crummy ones to their loyal fans in JP. IMO  :P

You know this might sound funny but IMO it is the setting. Yokohama and most shows in Japan are stadium shows. Stadiums can fit lots of people but the acoustics are shit. In these theatres the acoustics are legendary. Also X's performance is very theatrical so I always felt that it would look and sound amazing in an actual theatre.

I am NOT a fangirl!

Offline CreepyKlutz

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: September 29, 2010, 01:32:28 PM
Ok Just got home...5 hours after the show. Excuse me if my memory is slightly off..it may have to do with the fact my right ear is still ringing...also my voice is shot (I've been sick for 4 days..so that made it worse haha)

Before the show :We had arrived at around 2pm to which there was already a small gathering of people outside. We sat down at a building opposite of the theater because the sun was scorching hot and with me in 4inch platform boot and dressed in all black...the sun didn't seem like something I wanted to deal with. As the minutes and hours passed random people most likely on drugs walked around asking us if we wanted some weed or had some spare change. A man even had his car break down on the street near us (the poor guy sat there even when we went inside). Chatted with some fellow X fans while we waited and waited and waited. The line gradually grew so long I couldn't see the end. It felt like forever since the Staff had told us the door would open at 7pm and they didn't until about 7:30. Once inside i had bolted towards the merch booth and bought a shirt and since my girlfriend could not make it I bought her a Yoshikitty.

Also: Security checked peoples' bags and purses but they did not even pat us down and did not even seem to care that there were people right in front of them filming the show.

Vampires Everywhere: When VE took the stage they were met with a decent applause. The crowd appeared to be somewhat unsure about them throughout the show, although they did cheer. There wasn't a large amount of negative reception towards them however, at one time something (could not tell what it was) was thrown at the vocalist and missed. The singer attempted to pump up the crowd by yelling at them to jump which was met with little response at all. VE seemed to have a very easier performance than in LA. My personal opinion? The band was very boring..and the singer does not know how to use his lungs to actually sing or the sound was so bad I could not hear his singing voice AT ALL (and I was very close to the stage).

-insert a half hour long soundcheck here-

X Japan: It was difficult to compose myself. I was only about 3 people away from the stage, Sugizo's side, and this is/was my very first X show. I had never seen a crowd so excited in my life. Constant chanting and screaming up until Jade begins to be played after the SE to which the crowd responds to positively. As Rusty Nail is performed I notice Pata is having a lot of fun. I don't remember seeing him laugh and smile as much as he did during this show (although he DOES seem to enjoy this song).

The lights dim a bit and Yoshiki plays around on the piano until we all begin to realize that Silent Jealousy is next. Toshi did a GREAT job nailing the opening this time and the the crowd went nuts when the rest of the band joined in. Sugizo left the stage after SJ and Heath stand where he was, as the Drain begins. Personally, this is the one song that can be removed from the set. The audience just did not seem very into this one.

The band walks off as dramatic music begins to play in the background as Sugizo reappears for a mini-Violin solo that Yoshiki soon joins in as they lead into Kurenai. It was at this point in the concert that the crowd really used it's energy in. Toshi's screams overpowered us and the bass and drums sounded as if the whole building would cave in. I can honestly say I was surprised just how much the crowd enjoyed Born to Be Free. After witnessing the crowd reaction, it makes perfect sense for it to be the 2nd single for the upcoming album.

As for the drum solo, it was funny as Yoshiki bashed on the drumkit as Toshi yelled "on drums: Yoshiki!" to which Yoshiki runs to the piano as Toshi goes "On piano, A PIANO-YOSHIKI!" Yoshiki went back to the kit after noodling around on the piano. Toshi definitely forced the audience to give it there all during the beginning of I.V. It took multiple attempts before he was really satisfied with them.

X. The crowd used every last bit of strength they had into this song. It honestly felt like a quake as audience members' feet hit the floor. Screams, Singing, Chanting, as the band rips through the song. I could barely believe how much power was in the theater. It was a full blown relentless explosion of power during this. If this spectacle didn't prove X can dominate America, I have no clue what does. The song ended by the time the crowd had worn out. There was a small break that was filled with the audience chanting "hide" "X" and "Encore". They didn't simply want more from X. They sure as hell let them know they did.

Until a few hours ago I didn't expect Endless Rain to be as powerful as it did. Witnessing half if not more of the room in tears by the time the band stopped temporarily as the audience sang back to them. I was lost within that sea of people entranced by it all. The emotion was overpowering. It amazes me how both the crowd and band had enough energy to make it through Art of Life. As the SE of Forever Love began playing the band threw audience members bottles of water while Sugizo and Yoshiki shocked us all at just how far they can throw (which ended up being as far as the room allowed). We soon left after that.

Although there were some minor sound issues throughout the show...it doesn't matter. X destroyed Oakland.

Offline myuu

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myuu.de
Reply #87 on: September 29, 2010, 01:38:12 PM
I'm very happy that they don't make those long pauses, like they do in japan!! :D

Offline ashtrayxx

• Sunday Listener
  • X fan since 2000.
    • View Profile
    • flavors.me
Reply #88 on: September 29, 2010, 01:39:50 PM

I think this is the first negative review I read for the tour. In all honesty, I think that it's pretty accurate in general. It's just that I happen to enjoy the exact same things he bashed haha... Yes, Yoshiki is over dramatic and corny. I think I noticed that myself a long time ago. Yes, they are theatrical and play white washed metal. Where is the problem? I think it's good to read the average American review from times to times, not only the ones written by rabid fans!

EDIT: I don't agree that no one cares about the rest of the band outside of Yoshiki and Toshi though. Even though they have clearly kept the focus on them since the beginning (and hide while he was still around), fans have always been aware, and fond of Pata, Taiji, Heath and now Sugizo. This is what a non fan wouldn't see.

By the way, I've been a lurker here for a while but this is my first post! :) Be gentle!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:42:24 PM by ashtrayxx »

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: September 29, 2010, 01:52:37 PM
@CreepyKlutz: Thanks for the report, it´s always cool to read it from people who were actually there! I am happy that so many people seem to enjoy the shows.