• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

The "I dont like ..." Thread

BizKiTRoAcH · 86183

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: April 09, 2007, 04:42:30 PM
There are so many fans that praise anything that X Japan (or its members) do/create. I'm not one of those fans. X Japan are my favourite band of all time and I listen to them every day.. but that does not mean I think they are perfect. Instead of clogging up the other threads, I decided to make a seperate one for other people to say what they dont like, and for the other people who disagree to get their point across.

I'll go first.

Visual Kei. I wouldnt say hate.. but I do NOT like it at all. I dont care if they play dressed like women or they play naked. As long as the MUSIC is good, i'm happy. I just think the whole VK thing is a bit of a joke. If Yoshiki likes wearing dresses and womens clothes then by all means, he should. I just think it looks stupid. hide definately takes the cake here though. The only time I thought hide looked decent was during his "Pink Spider" PV. I cant really think of any other time I liked how hide looked.

On that note, I dont like hide much at all. His music is average. He has some great songs but he has some awful ones aswell. I do not like his "look" at all.

Yoshiki's drum/piano solo's. As mentioned in other topics, to me they just sound like random bashing. NOT THE FULL SOLO'S!! I'm NOT saying the whole thing is random bashing! Take "Art of Life". At one point, he is literally hitting the piano with his forearm and then standing with his back to the piano hitting keys with his hand. It sounds AWFUL and looks just as bad. You can call it "art" all you want, i'm not falling for it. He's just hitting the piano. Maybe there is some deep meaning behind it, maybe he's doing it for a reason.. I dont care. Musically, it sucks. And I know people can say "Everyone has different tastes, it might sound bad to you but great to someone else". If I did that on a piano, people would say I'm randomly hitting it. They would NOT say i'm creating "art" and they would not say it sounds good. Yoshiki gets away with it because he's Yoshiki.

The drum solo isnt as bad as the piano, but its still not the best. The fact that he has classical music playing in the background doesnt help it at all. Again, he might be trying to get some deep meaning behind it but the drum solo sounds stupid with the classical music behind it. I'm very open-minded and I love all styles of music, but  that just sounded stupid.

That'll do for now. There is a chance this topic will go nowhere but it could also be a very active one. It would be good to see who agrees/disagrees and some things that others dont like.

EDIT by Hypno: All fights, quarrels and disagreements ANY of our members will have in this topic are NOT allowed to be brought up elsewhere. You are NOT allowed to create opinions, good or bad, about ANYONE based on this topic. I absolutley FORBID thinking bad about someone becouse of what they will write here!

:)

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 09, 2007, 05:50:50 PM
First you say you don't give a shit about looks and then you write how much the visual stuff sucks...contradiction?

The drum solo isnt as bad as the piano, but its still not the best.

What is the best then? And whose is the best?

RIP

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 06:03:04 PM
If you want we can start another topic but... X Japan NEVER was Visual Kei.

Then, about the topic itself...

hide - sorry, lot of times after watching some concerts or random clips I feel like if hide tried to be the leader of the band, the way he acted lot of times was like prepotence, lot of prepotence, sorry, I hate that, also as BizKiTRoAcH have said some hide songs are HORRIBLE, Doubt... one of the worst songs I've ever listened to.

some performances - on the dahlia tour, when hide goes there on the stage with some robots or fuck... i don't know what's that, yes... i know it... a SHIT.

yoshiki's solos not all, but for example the piano solo on the last live or dahlia tour were fantastic, but some early piano solo and 90% of teh drum solo were also shit, toshi did the best solos.

I also don't like that Yoshiki doesn't release much stuff... there're some concerts taht must be released.

hi there

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 07:50:59 PM
DC21, Toshi's solos were the best? Whut solos do you mean? I have seen/heard Yoshiki's, hide's, Heath's, Taiji's and I think even Pata's solos but Toshi's? :P

And even though I'm not a fan of hide really, I kinda like his looks and so and also I'm totally ok listening to his songs. No comments about his personality tho, I don't think I know him well enough to do that. The only time I really hated hide's looks was Dahlia Tour Final. I still haven't watched that video becouse I think hide's hair (and abit his outfits also) are horrible. Tho I understand his solos with the robots and stuff. I'm really no fan but I don't have anything against it :)

Umm, I think you already know my opinion on Yoshiki's solos, so I won't comment on that.

I agree with DC21 on the not enough releases tho :P I see Yoshiki's reasons behind it (painful to watch etc) but I still think he could pull himself together enough.

BTW I will edit the first post with a comment, make SURE you read it!

This is my administrator color.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 07:54:52 PM
Quote from: "Hypno"
DC21, Toshi's solos were the best? Whut solos do you mean? I have seen/heard Yoshiki's, hide's, Heath's, Taiji's and I think even Pata's solos but Toshi's? :P

He would sing Tears with a harp player, or play an acoustic guitar and sing Say Anything.

Mod color o' mine

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 08:04:09 PM
Ok, I haven't seen those (maybe I have seen the harph one...) I guess...

This is my administrator color.

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 08:18:05 PM
Yes, he played Rose of Pain, Unfinished, Say Anything and Tears with guitar or harp, really beautiful ones, Toshi rocks  :lol:

hi there

Offline Azak

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 08:47:01 PM
i have only one problem with x japan... and its that i dont like their looks , until when they started using regular clothes ofc... , im just not used to guys in colorfull dresses and 2 feet long hair on the air.. its insane, and all the makeup and stuff they seriously look gay sometimes...

for the rest , the music .. the playing everything is just perfect

url=http://userbars.org][/url]

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 09:30:57 PM
Quote from: "Azak"
i have only one problem with x japan... and its that i dont like their looks , until when they started using regular clothes ofc... , im just not used to guys in colorfull dresses and 2 feet long hair on the air.. its insane, and all the makeup and stuff they seriously look gay sometimes...

for the rest , the music .. the playing everything is just perfect

Hah :D I hate their normal looks ;P I like the crazy outfits much more. I think it was a big part of what X was about, and I've always liked bands which care about the visual-side too, like KISS, the first band I ever listened to, and still do ;P

And what's wrong with looking gay?

Mod color o' mine

Offline Silver_Rain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lisa-sass.de
Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 10:25:08 PM
About the Visual Kei thing: I don't want to use it when I talk about X but in general. I really like it because to me music isn't just a thing you hear, it's a combination of what I see and what I hear ... you could say it's a synthesis of the arts and when I see musicians in jeans and t-shirt on stage I get the desire to punch them ;)
Maybe I'm strange but in my opinion music creates an atmosphere and the musicians who create this atmosphere should form and represend this atmosphere visually...that's just my opinion and I hope you get what I mean 'cause I'm not that good at english to explain it pretty good ;)

I'm a hide fan, I really like his music, his styles and his behaviour BUT I know that it's all an image , that he's not the person you seem to know through media. Maybe he was a total asshole, who knows but isn't it always with prominent people that they are like we imagine them how we want them to be 'cause we don't know them in reality ? I like that image but I know that it's JUST an image.

Damn, because of all the blabla I forgot the rest I wanted to say...

ww.myspace.com/lisasass

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 12:15:03 AM
Quote from: "ferret"
First you say you don't give a shit about looks and then you write how much the visual stuff sucks...contradiction?

I suppose you could say that. I think the look sucks, but it doesnt affect how much I enjoy the music. If X Japan reunited and they all dressed in stupid clothes or dressed like women, i'd still want to go to the concert. What I mean is I dont like the visual kei stuff, but I dont dislike it that much that it would affect whether I went to see them live or meet them or anything.

This one was "lost in translation". When I say "its good but its not the best", i'm not trying to say I know any specific person/drum solo that is better. I'm just saying i've seen much better.
Its a saying that a lot of people I know (and people in the UK in general use) when talking about things.

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 12:16:53 AM
Quote from: "Hypno"
BTW I will edit the first post with a comment, make SURE you read it!

Thanks, you definately saved me a bit of hassle. I can see myself making a few enemies in this topic :P

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 12:23:53 AM
Quote from: "Silver_Rain"
About the Visual Kei thing: I don't want to use it when I talk about X but in general. I really like it because to me music isn't just a thing you hear, it's a combination of what I see and what I hear ... you could say it's a synthesis of the arts and when I see musicians in jeans and t-shirt on stage I get the desire to punch them ;)
Maybe I'm strange but in my opinion music creates an atmosphere and the musicians who create this atmosphere should form and represend this atmosphere visually...that's just my opinion and I hope you get what I mean 'cause I'm not that good at english to explain it pretty good ;)

This is where I will have to completely disagree with you  :P

To me, music is about MUSIC. Not the looks, the acts, the stuff they do on stage. I just want to hear good music. If they band wants to perform dressed like demons or completely nude, I dont care... as long as they dont let that affect the music that I enjoy listening to.

To be fair though, i've always been about the music. When I listen to a song, I can hear the lyrics and I can sing the lyrics but I dont LISTEN to the lyrics. I just hear and repeat words that have been put into a sentence. I very rarely pay enough attention to see what the singer is trying to get across in his song. I'm paying more attention to the music than anything else.. which is one of the main reasons I dislike some of Yoshiki's solo's. Musically, they suck (in my opinion of course) and they sound awful.

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 01:09:55 AM
>>i would rather not answer to that thread cause i will hate you and you will hate me back and since i'm very good at that i'd rather stop<<

:D

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 01:23:06 AM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"
Quote from: "Silver_Rain"

This is where I will have to completely disagree with you  :P

To me, music is about MUSIC. Not the looks, the acts, the stuff they do on stage. I just want to hear good music. If they band wants to perform dressed like demons or completely nude, I dont care... as long as they dont let that affect the music that I enjoy listening to.

Well that would be when just enjoying a song or two, but when you claim yourself a fan of a band, I think it matters, it doesnt affect the music itself but is a big part of the band. And when I am a fan of a band, I wan't to see the guys that made this awesome music, and if their looks don't match the greatness of the music, I will be greatly dissapointed. I will listen to them, but I won't claim myself as a fan, because if I am a fan of something I wan't it to be more than good music, larger than life, and visuals and stage-show do very much for that.

Mod color o' mine

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 01:31:14 AM
Okay then, if you put it that way, i'm a fan of the music X Japan produced. Not X Japan  :P

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 01:34:31 AM
Okay then, if you put it that way, i'm a fan of the music X Japan produced. Not X Japan  :P

Well, you are a fan of what you wan't to be, but that's just my view of being a fan. ;P

Mod color o' mine

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 02:56:21 AM
one more thing..

Quote from: "Hurley"
I wan't to see the guys that made this awesome music, and if their looks don't match the greatness of the music, I will be greatly dissapointed.

Well, the song "X" was first written/played in 1985 (that is the earliest release I have of it anyway).. and its one of their most popular songs. However, their looks (and lineup) have completed changed from 1985 up until their last performance (Last Live, 1997). Does that make the song any less great? Not in the slightest. It is one of my favourite songs and no change in looks can change how great I think it is.

The thing is, looks change. The songs dont. It had a few variations but the "final" version of X was released in 1989 on the Blue Blood album and they played it all the way through until their final performance. Over those years, the looks of all the members changed A LOT but the song still retained its greatness.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 06:54:59 AM
one more thing..

I wan't to see the guys that made this awesome music, and if their looks don't match the greatness of the music, I will be greatly dissapointed.

Well, the song "X" was first written/played in 1985 (that is the earliest release I have of it anyway).. and its one of their most popular songs. However, their looks (and lineup) have completed changed from 1985 up until their last performance (Last Live, 1997). Does that make the song any less great? Not in the slightest. It is one of my favourite songs and no change in looks can change how great I think it is.

The thing is, looks change. The songs dont. It had a few variations but the "final" version of X was released in 1989 on the Blue Blood album and they played it all the way through until their final performance. Over those years, the looks of all the members changed A LOT but the song still retained its greatness.

I never said the songs get worse. The music is as good as it is, but the bigger picture suffers. To me, bands are much more than just music.

Mod color o' mine

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:07 AM
Hmmmm  I don't like Visual Kei very much.
To me X isn't Visual Kei, tho they say it as well. I agree, that without X VK wouldn't have become what it is now, but to me X really has rather kinda hair metal style. Okay, In this point I relate to the time of their beginning (and I love Yoshiki's spike-hair :P), and I prefer compared to all those crap (:P sorry guys and girls  :roll: ) nowadays the older J-metal bands, who have somehow a visual style, but not like what VK has become.

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

Offline darkcat21

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 09:04:02 AM
X JAPAN WAS NOT VISUAL KEI
I also don't like saying that X Japan was Visual Kei, you can't say you hate them because of Visual kei since they never were that.

hi there

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 10:49:39 AM

This one was "lost in translation". When I say "its good but its not the best", i'm not trying to say I know any specific person/drum solo that is better. I'm just saying i've seen much better.
Its a saying that a lot of people I know (and people in the UK in general use) when talking about things.

Nope, it wasn't, we have the same saying in German  :P  Why do you have to compare Yoshiki's solos with somebody else's, Yoshiki is showing his feelings while doing his solos, and another person might show his or hers, but there's no way they have the same feelings for every human being being an individual.

As for hide...if one doesn't like him, he or she could at least respect him for actually being part of their 'favourite band'. They can say as much as they want that there are better guitaists than him, who could've done a better job than he did, but they DIDN'T. hide did, Yoshiki chose hide to be lead guitarist in X and I guess he didn't do that for no reason.

RIP

Offline Kihl

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 12:01:37 PM
What about X Japan that I don't like...

- Probably the fact that there was so little released, though the ones they did are more addictive than crack.

- I am a bit uncomfortable with the visual part at the start, but I don't really see it now. Instead I look at the way they play the music, not their appearance per se.

As for Hide...

- I hate it when people describe him as a genius or elevate him above X Japan. It's as preposterous as it gets, he maybe a talented guitarist but a genius?

Love will Find a Way

This the Line you Used to Love

Do you Still believe that?

Offline crazy bitch

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 12:03:35 PM
ok i can't resist
its hide not Hide :P
damned write it correctly please

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 12:27:39 PM
I never said the songs get worse. The music is as good as it is, but the bigger picture suffers. To me, bands are much more than just music.

To me, they arent. No matter how much they change their looks, I will still enjoy what i'm listening to. I see no "bigger picture". I saw Guns N Roses live last year and the lineup has changed and Axl Rose looked like a homeless bum but it is still the best concert i've ever been to.

Quote from: "Unfinished"
About the hitting piano bit it seems that it really bugs you lol.But actually that technique..yes thats right its actually a technique to hit the piano was actually made by a pianist in europe somewhere.It can be used to express emotion.And of course if you've never played piano before and you did it people would say you suck and you don't know what your doing but if you have you can understand.
Then again their will always be people who don't like it.

If thats true, why do piano players say Yoshiki is bashing the piano? I only know one pianist and she's been playing piano for about 20 years and when she saw it, she said he's just hitting it. Technique? I really desperately want someone to explain the "technique" to me because i've watched art of life hundreds of times and all I see is him turning his back to the piano, and pushing down on all the keys that his hand stretches across. I want someone to explain how this technique works and how to do it, because I really want to try and understand how I could learn such a skill.. because if I turn around and push down on a set of keys , i'm clearly doing it wrong.

And yes, it bugs me because I dont understand it. I have eyes and ears and all I can see is Yoshiki pushing down on as many keys as his hand can stretch across and all I hear is exactly the noise it would make if I did the same thing. But Yoshiki is so amazing, he can do it and its great and talented and artistic.. but if I do it, its not. Its just me hitting the piano  :?:  :?:  :?:

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 12:33:30 PM
Forgot about this comment in the first place

Quote from: "darkcat21"

hide - sorry, lot of times after watching some concerts or random clips I feel like if hide tried to be the leader of the band

How did he do that? Going out on stage and saying 'I'm the leader of this band, do whatever I tell you' or something like that?

RIP

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 12:38:57 PM
Nope, it wasn't, we have the same saying in German  :P  Why do you have to compare Yoshiki's solos with somebody else's, Yoshiki is showing his feelings while doing his solos, and another person might show his or hers, but there's no way they have the same feelings for every human being being an individual.

Even if I dont compare it to another drum solo, that doesnt take away the fact that to me, its not a good drum solo. Yes, he's putting all his feelings into it and you can tell that from when he looks like he's passed out over the drum kit..  but putting all his feelings and emotion into it doesnt make it sound any better. All I hear is an average sounding drum solo.

As for hide...if one doesn't like him, he or she could at least respect him for actually being part of their 'favourite band'. They can say as much as they want that there are better guitaists than him, who could've done a better job than he did, but they DIDN'T. hide did, Yoshiki chose hide to be lead guitarist in X and I guess he didn't do that for no reason.

For the record, i've not once said I dont respect hide. I dont really like him but I do respect him.

Quote from: "Kihl"
- I am a bit uncomfortable with the visual part at the start, but I don't really see it now. Instead I look at the way they play the music, not their appearance per se.

As for Hide...

- I hate it when people describe him as a genius or elevate him above X Japan. It's as preposterous as it gets, he maybe a talented guitarist but a genius?

I'm not "uncomfortable" with the look, I just dont like it  :P  I agree with the hide comment aswell

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 12:46:08 PM

Even if I dont compare it to another drum solo, that doesnt take away the fact that to me, its not a good drum solo.

Ah, that's what I was hoping for, finally just saying 'I don't like the solo', which sounds more honest to me than 'there are better, not the best'etc.

For the record, i've not once said I dont respect hide. I dont really like him but I do respect him.

I didn't mean you in particular. However, just because you didn't say' I don't respect him' it doesn't prove anything, because what you said about him did sound disrespectful to me.

RIP

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 01:16:32 PM
Quote from: "Unfinished"
One can play Piano for 50 years and still have no idea about Piano history.There is such a technique of fisting/hitting the piano though...

Show me then. PLEASE! Find me a detailed site containing this so called "technique" because I really want to understand it.

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 02:09:10 PM

To me, they arent. No matter how much they change their looks, I will still enjoy what i'm listening to. I see no "bigger picture". I saw Guns N Roses live last year and the lineup has changed and Axl Rose looked like a homeless bum but it is still the best concert i've ever been to.

There can be more than just looks, the stage show etc. The new Guns N' Roses put on a hell of a show, even though they're not really that special by their looks. I know, I saw them twice last summer, first from the second row and then from the first row, best two nights of my life ;P

Don't you really see the big picture? If you do go to a show, the band is supposed to give you a SHOW, that includes possibly looks, pyros, coreographs, anything that entertains. I at least wouldn't pay 100 bucks for a ticket just to listen to a band, you could as well do that at home, without paying any extra money.

Mod color o' mine