• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

the ghost thread

matsumoto · 4316

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: November 26, 2009, 02:53:18 PM
Me and my room-mate have been discussing these videos for long hours. She's more of a paranormal person than I am but we both agree to the point that this seems to be the most realistic and best achieved ghost hoax of all time.

Part one of the thing is all about a ghost girl that appears behind a pantry door and opens it. The owner of the house first decides to leave the camcorder on during the night and I think later he stays there, awake and even invites over a skeptic:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzZI16Z13dw[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfTihjLCBww[/youtube]

(notice that there isn't any space between the shelves and the door for a person to hide in)

Part two is all about sightings of the ghost in other rooms. As you can see, it's easier to debunk but hey, together with the previous recordings, I don't know what to say:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnNplKfY6O8[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQvy2WMvImM&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Feel free to debunk it... ans add other pseudo-ghost videos  :P

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 04:47:13 PM
1. If they aren't jerking the door loose mechanically, then their door's lock is loose. The lock simply pops like that and opens the door. But I'm guessing they had it pop open on command for their video.
Also, these guys are pretty bad actors. AND I just noticed: the door's glass changes a completely different tone, which means obvious video editing.

2. The second one is just plain stupid. His friend was in the other room and rearranged the objects.
Then, in the other, it was just someone standing up.
That second set has less validity than the first, somehow. It seems like something my friends and I would do in 4th grade.

Sorry, but ghosts are not my thing. Maybe it's the strict Atheist in me, but hey. Just always found them silly.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:15:09 PM
Ohhh, you're right, Ami. I actually never thought of that.

I kind of wish I had glass closet doors so I could fake something like this. :D

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline ElefeX

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:20:07 AM
What I don’t get is why do ghosts only appear at night or in the dark? Do they have a paranormal alarm clock that tells them “its night, time to go haunting?” Or are they scared of the light?

Although, I still get scared in case I do see a ghost – even though I don’t believe in them! Stupid eh?  :-[

Offline X mistress

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:01:09 AM
I think it's fun to imagine that there would be ghosts and that those videos are real. But I don't believe in ghosts (idk if it's even sensible to talk about 'believing'). I have lively imagination so I get the creeps from those kinda "real-looking" videos, though ^^

"A lifetime is only an insignificant interval in the endless flow of time"

Offline cherrybeary520x

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 07:29:22 PM
What I don’t get is why do ghosts only appear at night or in the dark? Do they have a paranormal alarm clock that tells them “its night, time to go haunting?” Or are they scared of the light?

Although, I still get scared in case I do see a ghost – even though I don’t believe in them! Stupid eh?  :-[

I think they come out during the day, too. They're probably easier to see at night, if they are real.

Offline xScQ

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • We are U.N.I.T.E.D!
Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:44:32 PM
The best ghost story is the one of all the people who believe in ghosts. It's so UNREAL!

Quote from: Internet moron
Such a person quite simply continues to live in their usual familiar environment, often their house as if nothing had happened, believing themselves to be still living within their familiar physical body.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:46:35 PM by xScQ »

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 08:49:02 PM
thanks for the opinions, guys!  ;D

nor am I saying this is real nor that I believe in ghosts. As a matter of fact, I've never seen anything far beyond the gates of rationality so to speak, but anyway, I like to wonder, just like you do. And saying a definite 'no' is skepticism and an obvious lack of philosophical training so I go with maybe.

as for the videos, what fascinates me about them is that there is no other door, trapdoor or secret door in that pantry, as documentary later showed. That's why I find a mindfuck; the extreme difficulty of faking this digitally (due to conditions I'd take long to explain, being the main one the drawing on the glass door) and the almost-impossibility of faking it externally.

I think it's fun to imagine that there would be ghosts and that those videos are real. But I don't believe in ghosts (idk if it's even sensible to talk about 'believing'). I have lively imagination so I get the creeps from those kinda "real-looking" videos, though ^^

good point, X mistress.  :D We associate ghosts way more with the night rather than daylight. Just as it is almost impossible not to see a ghost if the place is old, gloomy and you're alone. There are several theories about this, being one of them that during the day we're too busy and distracted to notice. The guy who first mentioned this also mentioned the fact that in the city you're likely to hear noises and see light reflections all the time, people who live in secluded places in the countryside develop a bigger sense of attention to what's not usual. There's more to say in terms of science but I guess I won't even go that way.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.