• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Velvet Revolver vs. Guns 'n Roses

Maverick · 6009

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: May 21, 2007, 04:05:04 PM
Since the discussion in the "IF hide came back" thread went far too off-topic, I guess it's okay to set the discussion here. ;)

As I said before - I never listened to the New G'nR, but anyways I value Slash's guitar playing and Duff's bass.... however no matter HOW they really call it anyways. (call it Mommy's Tea Party or so, I'd anyways listen to them). It's just the f**** name, at least it's the music, what is important to me.

Nevertheless, X should still be called X... :roll:

Everywhere there flows...... BLUE BLOOD!!

PanthereNoire

Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 04:23:56 PM
And since I have ABSOLUTELY no idea about Gun'n'Roses - aside from the fact that in none music terms I detest the former and love the latter - AND to mess up this thread with OT stuff right from the start (AND because I believe in uncensored social interaction :P), aren't mavericks supposed to be in favour of rule breaking, Mav? :twisted:

And congrats on your first ever newly initiated thread! And did you blush now? :twisted:

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 04:30:19 PM
Quote from: "PanthereNoire"
aren't mavericks supposed to be in faour of rule breaking, Mav? :twisted:

e.e, Yepp, that's what EVERY other Maverick would do - so - I'm breaking the laws!

And congrats on your first ever newly initiated thread! And did you blush now? :twisted:

x] Thank you..... <_<;;;
>_>;;
e.e AND NOTHING AGAINST MY FIRST THREAD!!!! *protects it like a guard dog*

PanthereNoire

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 04:33:28 PM
You didn't answer my question, baby. :twisted:

But you can tell me on MSN . . .

BACK TO REGULAR SCHEDULING:

Discuss G'n'R  :P

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 04:35:02 PM
Well, in terms of new songs for GnR, there are only a couple that have been performed/released (low quality demo's floating around) but of those few that i've heard, I personally think they are excellent. The live show was amazing and easily the best concert i've been to.. and i've been to quite a few concets!

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 04:55:09 PM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"
Well, in terms of new songs for GnR, there are only a couple that have been performed/released (low quality demo's floating around) but of those few that i've heard, I personally think they are excellent. The live show was amazing and easily the best concert i've been to.. and i've been to quite a few concets!

I think there's been about 9 songs played live and, and almost as many leaked. I've got a few high quality demos if someone wants ;P

Mod color o' mine

PanthereNoire

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 05:08:42 PM
Actually, since I've never consciously listened to them, but figure if quite a few people I like like them, I'd like to give them a chance, I want.

Email, please, if the files aren't TOO huge? :)

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 05:43:14 PM
Actually, since I've never consciously listened to them, but figure if quite a few people I like like them, I'd like to give them a chance, I want.

Email, please, if the files aren't TOO huge? :)

Well, I'll rather upload them all in a rar-file. I can email you some individual songs if you want but it's easier for me this way ;P And keep in mind, these aren't the stuff 'quite a few people like', these are unreleased demos from the new album.

I think these are the newest leaked versions, I left out Madagascar tho because the demo leake sucks ass, the live versions are great, but I don't have one so you'll have to wait a bit if you wan't one. I also left out Catcher In The Rye, which features Brian May from Queen on guitars, because I don't have it now, I can get it if you want tho.

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=0046207B14273EE8

Enjoy.

Mod color o' mine

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 12:51:44 AM
Ah, cheers Hurley. For some reason, I thought i'd only heard I.R.S (they played that live at the gig I went to) but i've heard all those demos before.. My memory blows :P

Madagascar has to be one of my favourite songs though. I've listened to various live versions over and over again. I dont know what it is but Madagascar is just a masterpiece in my opinion. Here's a good quality live version for anyone interested:

madagascar_(cleveland_ohio).mp3

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2007, 07:25:22 AM
Quote from: "BizKiTRoAcH"
Ah, cheers Hurley. For some reason, I thought i'd only heard I.R.S (they played that live at the gig I went to) but i've heard all those demos before.. My memory blows :P

Madagascar has to be one of my favourite songs though. I've listened to various live versions over and over again. I dont know what it is but Madagascar is just a masterpiece in my opinion. Here's a good quality live version for anyone interested:

madagascar_(cleveland_ohio).mp3

Yes, it is an awesome song, the demo version I have is horrible tho ;P I also think Catcher In The Rye is a damn great song, once you get the hang of it.

And for Unfinished, this has been discussed so many times trough at GNR boards that I just can't do it anymore ;P The name is his, he can do whatever he want's with it, it is a different band than the old one, but an awesome band. Go see them live if they come near you and you'll be blown away, I was very anti-new GNR before I saw them too ;P

Mod color o' mine

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 09:08:49 AM
Beat me... but the drums of "madagascar" remind me to Violet UK in some ways o__o (oh, and that's not the first hint I got about Guns'n Roses)

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:54:07 PM
Quote from: "Unfinished"
When Gunners started out around the mid 80's they couldn't have been anything with out Slash's solo and that is almost a fact.

That is not almost a fact. That is purely fan speculation. They might have been bigger and better with a different guitar player.. they might have been worse off. No-one can really say for sure unless you go back in time and stop slash from joining.

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 01:27:55 PM
I can say its not a fact. You really cant prove that GnR would have been worse if slash wasnt there.. and I cant prove it would have been better or the same. Which is why its not a fact because neither of us can prove it. I'm not bad mouthing slash. He's amazing. I just think saying that GnR wouldnt have gotten anywhere without him is silly.

Offline Maverick

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 03:26:28 PM
Quote from: "Unfinished"
If you look up "november rain" mav on youtube it might remind you of endless rain or say anything.They were around the same time of X and have a few things that seemed similar as in music style and approach.

edit:oh you haven't listened to the new stuff

Well, I was rather thining of the Violet UK songs, which gave me hints to November Rain... not because of the way of playing or so, but of the lyric passage "September Rain" - and the end of the "Novermber Rain"-video, in which is written "based on the short story "Without You" by Del James" :P

And no, I haven't listened to the new stuff, yet  :oops:

Offline Wando

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 03:46:59 PM
There is no way GN'R could have been better with anyone else in or out of the band in '87. That's a fact.

I'll share my thoughts about the topic later..

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 04:14:13 PM
Quote from: "Wando"
There is no way GN'R could have been better with anyone else in or out of the band in '87. That's a fact.

Well that's a same kind of fact as the existance of god(s). Cannot be proven true or false ;P

Mod color o' mine

Offline Mitsuko

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/sparklysquee
Reply #16 on: May 24, 2007, 06:58:14 AM
*skirts away from the argument*

Everyone's discussing Guns 'n Roses with or without Slash, but what about Velvet Revolver?

I love old Guns 'n Roses and I ADORE Velvet Revolver, though. So what, there's a Velvet Revolver AND a revived G'nR around? I think I should go read up on this and come back when I've caught up...

In the meantime, Velvet Revolver rocks my socks!  :twisted:

Lady, lady are you ready to go?
Why do you have to be laying down?

Offline BizKiTRoAcH

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: May 24, 2007, 11:44:26 AM
Yes, Velvet Revolver are awesome :D

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: October 19, 2007, 08:25:18 PM
Seen Guns N' Roses live last year (Velvet Revolver still to come) and comparing the material (the Chinese Democracy Demos) vs. Contraband & Libertad, I have to say that I like the GNR Stuff more. Velvet Revolver are a good rockband, but I'm not a big Scott Weiland fan.
Both are good bands and I can't wait until Chinese Democracy will be released, well 'can't wait' is the wrong word, cause I'm waiting for a long time, but it will be released that I'm sure about (but it may can take some more years *g*).

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #19 on: March 05, 2008, 12:20:44 PM
I prefer GNR 100 times than Velvet Revolver personnaly. First problem, I really don't like Scott Weiland's voice and attitude. Second problem, I think Velvet's music has nothing special. It's good old Hard Rock and that's it.

I've never seen them live (not that I haven't tried, they cancelled 3 times when I was about to see them :().

About new GNR, well, it's not GNR 90's, it's a brand new band. People juste have to get over the "name" thing.

Some interesting things :

Most of the "new" members of GNR are in GNR for more years than Slash and Duff.
The "new" GNR songs are in fact pretty old.

We know for sure that :

I.R.S has been written in 1999 or before.
T.W.A.T. has been written in 1999 or before.
Oh My God has been written in 1999 or before.
Chinese Democracy has been written in 2001 or before.
Madagascar has been written in 2001 or before.
The Blues has been written in 2001 or before.
Silk Worms has been written in 2001 or before.
Rhiad And The Bedouins has been written in 2001 or before.
Better has been written in 2005 or before.
Catcher In The Rye is unkown (at least for me... maybe we can find a date somewhere).

All those songs have been played live except Catcher In The Rye.

I think it's pretty funny than most of the songs that will feature on Chinese Democracy (although we have no idea of its tracklist) will probably be 10 years old when the album is released...

So right now, it's possible to listen to 10 "new" songs of GNR.
For those who don't know, Bryan May plays guitar on Catcher In The Rye.

Oh My God is the only track that has been officialy released (in 99 on End Of Days soundtrack)

There are high quality demo of :

The Blues
Madagascar
Catcher In The Rye
IRS
TWAT
Chinese Democracy

If you need anything about GNR (mp3 live, demo, video etc...) I can find it for you (if it exists, so don't ask for Chinese Democracy :D).

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 04:45:23 PM
Ah ah ! Dunno if it's really true or not (April Fool is coming), but it's definitely funny :

http://www.spinner.com/2008/03/25/dr-pepper-to-give-away-free-product-if-axl-rose-releases-chine/

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 07:49:53 AM
Two new Guns N'Roses songs just leaked on Internet !!!

Offline PSYCHed

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 10:33:22 AM
Yeah we are STILL all awaiting for 'Chinese Democracy' to be officially released (yawn!) as it has been leaked and tweaked for about ten years now - much as I loved Guns N Roses back in the day (and still love their songs now) is anybody REALLY excited about their supposed new album any more?!?

~~~~~~~
EVER FREE
~~~~~~~

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 10:38:10 AM
Has 'Sorry' been leaked yet? The way Sebastian Bach explained it makes me so frustrated that the album STILL isn't out...

MODERATOR'd!

Offline friday

• Moderators
  • Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #24 on: June 19, 2008, 10:40:04 AM
Quote from: "PSYCHed"
Yeah we are STILL all awaiting for 'Chinese Democracy' to be officially released (yawn!) as it has been leaked and tweaked for about ten years now - much as I loved Guns N Roses back in the day (and still love their songs now) is anybody REALLY excited about their supposed new album any more?!?

Hehe, the amount of time (and musicians it seems...) they've spent on it, it better be an effin' masterpiece...

MODERATOR'd!

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #25 on: June 19, 2008, 12:25:06 PM
Quote from: "PSYCHed"

Well, I'm not waiting for it, buy I'll take it as soon as it's out !

Sorry hasn't been leaked yet.

If The World is one of the song that has been leaked today (it sounds kinda "latino", weird, but cool !).

The other song is "Untitled", but there's no bach on it, and it's not at all what Baz decribed, so I guess it's not Sorry.

Rhiad And The Bedouins (studio version) has leaked today too.

Edit :

In fact 9 songs leaked today ! If you're interested send me a PM.

The songs that leaked :

Untitled
If The World
Rhiad And The Bedouins
Madagascar
The Blues
IRS
TWAT (There Was A Time)
Chinese Democracy
Better

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: June 19, 2008, 07:30:54 PM
I like the 3 new songs, well Rhiad isn't that new, but I didn't like the live-version, the studioversion however is a good track, not an awesome one, but good *g*

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #27 on: June 19, 2008, 07:37:13 PM
Quote from: "Matthias"
I like the 3 new songs, well Rhiad isn't that new, but I didn't like the live-version, the studioversion however is a good track, not an awesome one, but good *g*

Yeah I think the same. But well, in the bootleg, Rhiad didn't sound really good. When I saw it live at the Pukkelpop in 2002, I thought it really rocked !!! Even though I think Axl's voice is too "high" on this song !

But good song I think, not great, but good.

It's so cool to listen to some new songs anyway !

Offline leria83

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/r1canmam1
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2008, 07:18:35 PM
I never could get into Velvet Revolver but I love GnR. Like Appetite for Destruction GnR. Although I do wish I could play all instruments for November Rain. Complete with vocals and orchestra.

Offline hideisgod

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/vanillasugarcube
Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 12:28:32 AM
Definitely GNR.  Velvet Revolver isn't my style.  I guess I've been a GNR fan since I was about 10, or so.  They are my second favorite band, after X.

I LOVE YOSHIKI :D