• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Yoshiki Foundation Party ~ 01.07.10

mC · 22474

Offline rafaelo

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #60 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:26 PM
I liked very although I want to hear her better for min already to touch her in the guitar.
Once again X never disappointed me love you

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #61 on: July 02, 2010, 08:58:03 PM
I'm pretty suprised that everyone seems to like the song overall. XD Not like with I.V. or Jade ;D

Well, I also alredy like it a lot! Can't wait for a final studio version.  :)

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline Wick

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #62 on: July 02, 2010, 09:05:51 PM
hate to be negative but it does not work so well for me. Perhaps a bit too simple or too sweet (or both).
I still hoped for a rock song. Something like "sadistic desire" and "I'll kill you" \m/ instead of "born to be free" <3  :P

The true Way of sword fencing is the craft of defeating the enemy in a fight, and nothing other than this. If you attain and adhere to the wisdom of my strategy, you need never doubt that you will win.

Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: July 02, 2010, 09:40:59 PM

Video of the 4th take of Born to be Free, it reveales that the song has a piano opening, *sigh*, why the f***?

Offline sugizo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: July 02, 2010, 09:51:39 PM
It does seem a bit simple but it works.  While I love their dramatic stuff, it's kind of refreshing to get something upbeat and catchy.

I've been listening to X since 1990 and I love all their newer songs: I.V. Jade, Born to be Free.  They all bring a slightly different style and feeling.  Maybe it's because I'm getting older with them so I don't mind the songs getting less "metal". :)  

It's nice to see them grow and change along the way.

Toshi's voice was cracking quite a bit but finally hearing his voice in person, it's simply amazing.

Offline Artseeker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #65 on: July 02, 2010, 10:44:48 PM
I like the song and I think it is way better than I.V. and better than Jade, which is good 'cause it means that musically speaking the band has still something good to offer.
The vocal lines are great (maybe a bit too repetitive, but still great), and the guitar word is slightly better than Jade, but still not really impressing if compared to what X was capable of before the break-up. Anyway, Sugizo seems to have gained more space in this song, which is pretty great and makes me hope for even more in the future.

What worries me a bit is that, from what I can see, Yoshiki is trying to do with X Japan what he couldn't do with Violet Uk and the result is some sort of strange mix between these two projects, which may lead to X Japan losing its true nature and becoming an extension of Yoshiki's solo career.
Let Pata and Sugizo compose a whole song and Toshi write the lyrics for it, THEN and only THEN we can talk about X Japan!

Anyway, as I said before I like the song and I think it's a step forward, still, I'm hoping for something more ;)

Oh and btw I LOVE the piano interlude and the piano intro it gives that melancholic feel that every good X song MUST have 8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 10:48:11 PM by Artseeker »

Offline nemetroid

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #66 on: July 02, 2010, 11:05:52 PM
The MIDI drums are so odd, they sound nothing like Yoshiki's drums use to. I suppose they will come out quite different when played acoustic.

Listening to IV - Jade - Born to Be Free, it feels like the songs are moving closer to Dahlia style each time. The intro reminds me a bit of Scars's. I think it's their best so far, and hopefully it'll grow even more before we hear the final version. :)

Offline Selaiah

• Too-shy-to-post
  • Rookie
  • Because the alternative is unthinkable....
    • View Profile
Reply #67 on: July 03, 2010, 05:23:11 AM
I was thinking the same about the drums. It really does not sound right. Hope they will change it. It sounds so strange!

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: July 03, 2010, 11:46:24 AM
I was thinking the same about the drums. It really does not sound right. Hope they will change it. It sounds so strange!

I really hope so too, the same goes for Jade. It seems like a no-brainer that Yoshiki will record real drums and we're just hearing a demo, but a certain side of me is genuinely worried that he's actually gonna release the songs like this. If you listen to Violet UK's songs Blue Butterfly, Rosa, Mary Mona Lisa, City of Devils and and VUK-R then you will notice that he's actually used the exact same MIDI drum patch... And released them to the public.

Also, I can't work this out, so maybe someone can help me. The backing vocals in the chorus are female vocals right? To me it doesn't sound like Toshi.

Another plus for me is the violin interlude, which I think has almost certainly been recorded by Sugizo (using multiple takes I presume). Since X Japan's reunion Yoshiki has been a real cheap-skate and has used crappy synth swells as opposed to real orchestral strings.

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: July 03, 2010, 12:06:22 PM
Also, I can't work this out, so maybe someone can help me. The backing vocals in the chorus are female vocals right? To me it doesn't sound like Toshi.

Upon re listening, I am also finding it hard to hear weather it's Toshi or not...I am unsure but to me it sounds male...but...sometimes...it sounds...female. Ha, confusing!

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #70 on: July 03, 2010, 12:26:24 PM
I've been wondering this ever since the song came out as well, hoping its not female backing vocals. Sometimes it sounds like Toshi, sometimes it doensn't, its too hard to tell.

shane140

Reply #71 on: July 03, 2010, 12:28:18 PM
Stan Lee wrote about the vid on his twitter:

Last night I acted in a great new music video-- shot in 3D! It wasn’t just a cameo! I actually had a role! I was—the Devil!

The video’ll blow your mind when it comes out (I’ll letcha know the date) It features the incredible Yoshiki and his group "X Japan."

When I told you of Yoshiki weeks ago I didn’t realize how famous he was overseas! Remember his name, and his group X Japan, because—

Having seen and heard X Japan in concert, I predict they’ll be a monster hit in the U.S.A! And we already have a project to work on--

Incidentally, Yoshiki plays dynamite drums, a sizzling piano and a red hot trumpet! He’s also a composer, plus-- a concert pianist!

So why am I telling you about Yoshiki? Because your beloved Generalissimo wants POW! to become a power in pop music—and Yoshiki’s the key!

http://twitter.com/TheRealStanLee
Wow so Stan Lee will have a part in the PV, awesome.    This "project" I assume will be a comic? lol!

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #72 on: July 03, 2010, 12:34:08 PM
Last night I acted in a great new music video-- shot in 3D! It wasn’t just a cameo! I actually had a role! I was—the Devil!

That explains this picture then...

SOURCE: http://natalie.mu/

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #73 on: July 03, 2010, 01:07:22 PM
Clearest version of the acoustic version of I.V

And while some people will say Toshi did great, all I can think is, his voice needs to be in a condition where he's able to do tours around the US with X, lots of concerts, with over 10-15 songs in each, and barely have any vocal problems, but as seen here he can't even sing a slow gentle acoustic version of the first song he's sung the entire day without cracking up, its not good enough.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:09:57 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline denx

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #74 on: July 03, 2010, 02:39:56 PM
well, i dont even care its female or toshi on backing vocal, sound alright to me

Ex denxdenx

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #75 on: July 03, 2010, 05:09:38 PM
New vid upload, I think this is the clearest so far.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwjHvjFsN0[/youtube]

Offline Snapback

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #76 on: July 03, 2010, 08:03:02 PM
The vocals in the background talking was a female voice.

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 11:27:13 AM
The pachinko machine, holy crap that looks awesome.

Offline AsukaMiyu

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xplosion Online
Reply #78 on: July 06, 2010, 10:13:56 AM
I just found a bunch of nice picture on this website here. :)

http://say-anything.diary.ru/p115701785.htm

...When the morning begins
I'll be in the next chapter...

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #81 on: July 07, 2010, 04:15:33 PM
^What makes you think they haven't finished recording the actual drum tracks?

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #82 on: July 08, 2010, 01:36:45 PM
^What makes you think they haven't finished recording the actual drum tracks?

Because Yoshiki said recording was due to wrap "tommorow", that being several days ago. The version of Born to be free which has been played has got MIDI drums, so therefore if recording is finished and they're using that version, it implies that's what they have settled with.

Offline LebendenToten

• Sunday Listener
  • Who is your daddy and what does he do?
    • View Profile
Reply #83 on: July 08, 2010, 07:22:26 PM
Ok so I got to see that video, where he says they were wrapping up the recording. I really hope that there is some small possibility that they wont use the midi drums, but I guess we'll have to see.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #84 on: July 08, 2010, 07:44:15 PM
Because Yoshiki said recording was due to wrap "tommorow", that being several days ago. The version of Born to be free which has been played has got MIDI drums, so therefore if recording is finished and they're using that version, it implies that's what they have settled with.
That they finished recording doesn't mean that they have done any post-production or even put the recorded track together (well apart from what we have heard of the song this far). Also at today's press conference they said the recording is done 90%, with Toshi's part being completed, which might mean that some drums are still not recorded. Anyway, I highly doubt they'd try to break into the market with badly done MIDI drum-background.

Also, whatever is said at press conferences and announcements, I wouldn't take it 100% literally - so much gets lost in the translation and they might just say some stuff that is not exact. If they say 'it'll be a wrap tomorrow', might actually mean that it'll take another month to get things done. :)

This is my administrator color.

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #85 on: July 09, 2010, 01:01:51 AM
That they finished recording doesn't mean that they have done any post-production or even put the recorded track together (well apart from what we have heard of the song this far). Also at today's press conference they said the recording is done 90%, with Toshi's part being completed, which might mean that some drums are still not recorded. Anyway, I highly doubt they'd try to break into the market with badly done MIDI drum-background.

Also, whatever is said at press conferences and announcements, I wouldn't take it 100% literally - so much gets lost in the translation and they might just say some stuff that is not exact. If they say 'it'll be a wrap tomorrow', might actually mean that it'll take another month to get things done. :)

I honestly, truely and entirely hope you're right. But Yoshiki has released Violet UK stuff with the exact same MIDI drum patches.

From a production standpoint, with me being very involved in music production, I'd call it sloppy and lazy given the poor quality of the patches and Yoshiki's usually fantastic quality drum recordings. I'm tending to think he's doing this for stylistic reasons, given the fact he's doing this regularly, but I honestly do not follow his train of thought - as I think it sounds horrible.

My girlfriend thinks it sounds cool and techno, and she was raised in America before moving to England - so maybe in terms of cracking the US market he's onto something, but personally I just think it's cheap and tacky. On Jade and Born To Be Free all of the drums, piano and strings (saving one part of BTBF which sounds like it could have been recorded by Sugizo) are all MIDI patches and not real recordings - I find that disconcerting given the high production values of most of X Japan's music. A real draw of Yoshiki's music to me is the attention to detail and dedication he puts into his string arrangments, which have always been recorded with real musicians before I.V. (discounting White Poem I).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 01:06:00 AM by Beauty/Broken »

Offline Ulquiorra

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #86 on: July 09, 2010, 11:06:02 AM
I only just realised this means the rerecordings of the old songs could have midi drums, way to make the classics sound crap. Hopefully the other 10% left to do includes the drums.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 02:02:56 PM by Ulquiorra »

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #87 on: July 09, 2010, 11:42:45 AM
Sigh, some many negative comments, just wait and see what happens! People that have complained about the songs being translated into English, they have left Kurenai on the new album in Japanese, people that were complaining about too many ballads, Born To Be Free turned up, just wait and see!

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #88 on: July 09, 2010, 11:49:16 AM
Sigh, some many negative comments, just wait and see what happens! People that have complained about the songs being translated into English, they have left Kurenai on the new album in Japanese, people that were complaining about too many ballads, Born To Be Free turned up, just wait and see!

The waiting is what is killing me!

Offline Menacia

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #89 on: July 09, 2010, 12:01:23 PM
Waiting has always bee a major part of X!!!
I'd probably scared to death if they did anything fast.... :)