Summer Olympic Games 2008

SarahAlex · 4904

Offline SarahAlex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
on: August 08, 2008, 07:56:13 PM
The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Anyone interested in Olympics games, people? Are you going to watch them? And what do you think about China as a host country?

SarahAlex - the devil's advocate

Offline MillieQOF

• Moderators
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:39:00 PM
Saw the opening today, it was amazing. I'm not that much into sports but I might watch something that I think either seems cool or has swedish people I root for.
Also, I don't really care for who's the host country cause I'm not really into the stuff China has been criticized for nor do I care a lot about it.

Offline alex

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:36:29 AM
I watched the opening, quite impressive! ;) I'm gonna watch some sports, table tennis for example. Sweden will probably be weaker than ever though, so I don't know how much attention I will pay to it. But, the event is much more interesting than usual! When I was in Beijing earlier this year the locals seemed reallllly hyped up about it. There were advertisements everywhere, and locals I talked to seemed really excited about it. I even met somebody who was supposed to dance at the event, and the big stadium built for this looked really great. Another - quite disturbing - thing to note however, is how the beggars simply "vanished" since the other time I was there.....-_-...

I'm not too sure what to think. Initially I thought it was really wrong to give them Olympics. Fact remains, it's a brutal dictatorship which inevitably will become the ultimate world power, why help them out? When we got to the point where they actually got it, they obviously could've been pressured more about human rights as well. Their pathetic argument that you shouldn't mix together politics and sports almost makes me laugh. How much money isn't involved in this event?

At the same time, it hit me that the whole boycot thing was a bit controversial. I'd like to count how many "Made in China" products the protesters had at home. The rich world is already building up their economy using cheap labour, what's the difference with that and giving them olympics? If we wanna boycot something, shouldn't we go all the way? IOC officials aren't really any more guilty than any other people who choose to run business in China.

I'm also of the opinion that the Chinese politicians honestly care a lot about China's development and future, no matter what kind methods they use. I honestly don't know what to think at this point.

Perhaps I wandered further than you asked for but I'm just thinking loud :P

Offline leria83

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/r1canmam1
Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 07:24:12 AM
All I got to say is, Who's talking now! Got to love swimming ;D

Offline kendofreak

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 09:36:28 PM
yeah go Phelps smashing that record!

Offline mC

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:36:04 AM
Hm, I am not a fan of sports at all. I was going to record the opening ceremony just to watch in amazement and hear what music they used...then I couldn't be bothered...(It was on after midnight here!) I have, though, caught a few clips of the Kayaking and thought it was so awesome!!! I don't know the guy's name but he won a gold...yeah....it looked awesome. Also just watched some of the gymnastics. I like how they play classical music in the background :D

Offline hideisgod

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/vanillasugarcube
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 10:23:46 PM
The only part of the Olympics I like are the gymnastics and diving.  Mostly gymnastics. 

I LOVE YOSHIKI :D

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 01:08:06 AM
Pretty interesting opening and I saw some quite pictures too. As for the olympics itself.. don't care too much.

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:48:24 AM
I should watch the women beach volleyball part... Or is it over already?

This is my administrator color.

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 09:53:52 AM
I watched woman gymnastics yesterday and nobody will make me believe that one of the Chinese girls was older that 7.  8)

Pony rocks!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 10:00:07 AM
So many poeple say that. I'm willing to give them the benefit of doubt because while I'm not Chinese (or Asian) people always think I look 15  :P (me and them being short also plays a huge role I guess)

RIP

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2008, 10:14:52 AM
That's certainly right, height is one thing... yet still, I guess that (being surrounded by Asians all the time) I kind of got used to this, but this girl completely baffled me. See, completely disregarding her height, it was her head what got me. The skull simply looked pretty undeveloped to me (if I may say it so crudely...).

Pony rocks!

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2008, 10:23:24 AM
Don't these girls often take medication/drugs that hinder their development?  :-\ Not like this is better than letting 10 year old girls participate.

RIP

Offline Anna

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Tsurezuregusa
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2008, 10:31:18 AM
Frankly, I know next to nothing about that, as I have no interest in gymnastics (apart from watching the girls  ;D)... But it is possible, I guess.  :(

Pony rocks!

Offline Lucs

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • Xploson
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 10:50:58 AM
Don't these girls often take medication/drugs that hinder their development?  :-\ Not like this is better than letting 10 year old girls participate.

I heard that some do. It's why sometimes they kinda look "masculine". But I can't say that all do of course... and about size, yeah, someone who's rather short will always look younger, but I agree that some of them (not that I watched a lot) look REALLY young.

But just like you ferret, I'll give them the benefit of doubt. We'll never know anyway...

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 11:26:09 AM
There was an article on a local newspaper. They faked the passports of the girls. There are records from older contests where they have one birth year and now suddenly they are registered as few years different (don't remember if it was older or younger). Some protested but they couldn't really do anything as the passports were official documents...

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2008, 11:35:55 AM
There was an article on a local newspaper. They faked the passports of the girls. There are records from older contests where they have one birth year and now suddenly they are registered as few years different (don't remember if it was older or younger). Some protested but they couldn't really do anything as the passports were official documents...

Not to be a bitch or anything but: source?  :P That sounds like they just wrote what the NYTimes or whoever "broke" the story had written before.

RIP

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 01:07:36 PM
http://www.sloleht.ee/index.aspx?id=289377

Good luck reading it though xD

Offline Aerce

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: August 17, 2008, 06:53:09 AM

Well there's a rumor going on that some of them do use..

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2008, 04:48:33 PM
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKczIsaLV38[/youtube]

Andy and Jackie know how to par-tay   8)

RIP

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words
Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 07:14:39 PM
I was caught up in olympic fever while I was out in HK , most memorable for me was the sad atmosphere after Liu Xiang pulled out of 110m hurdles. The media treated it as if he had died or something , very emotional.

Pavement ist rad
Last.fm

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 07:34:02 PM
I don't really care about Phelps but this is the work of a genius

RIP

Offline TG

• Big fan
    • View Profile
    • Words