8 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: June 04, 2008, 01:29:26 AM

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
on: June 04, 2008, 01:29:26 AM
Uh, given that we're X fans, I guess I already know how this will turn out on an X forum. :P

But you know, it's one of the greatest epic conflicts in rock'n'roll, especially in metal:

KEYBOARD

or

NO KEYBOARD?

How much is too much?  Is ANY keyboard too much?  Is there even such a thing as too much?  Can it be the main riff (Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark", Van Halen's "Jump", etc.)?  Were you annoyed when I implied that Yoshiki is a keyboardist because "he's actually a pianist"?

Where do you put the keyboard guy onstage?  Are those keyboards you can wear like a guitar cooler or less cool than a normal keyboard?

Or, you know, whatever keyboard issues I forgot.

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 06:55:24 AM
Depends on the band and their music if I wanna have keyboards in their songs. So in general I'm not againts keyboards in Rock, it can add a lot of cool things to the music.

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
    • http://j-metal.ueuo.com
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 10:54:49 AM
I voted for NO KEYBOARDS, but it's not like I hate 'em, or think they should be eternally banned from Rock music... I think it depends on the song or the band... Keyboards can add a lot to a song, but if used the wrong way I personally think keyboards are the easiest way to ruin a Rock tune...

Overall I'm still a fan of the classic Guitar/Guitar/Bass/Drum formation, but depending on the song, the style or the ability of the keyboard player, I think it can be a very nice addition for a band...

img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e396/Erocard/Clipboard01-4.jpg[/img]

Offline Maya

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 12:00:11 PM
Awww, that's .... x_x ... hard.
In general I would say - NO keyboard. I dislike it in 99% of the cases when it's used. It mostly sounds cheap and could have been just left away as well. :/ Buuut ...

MAGNUM:

Dammit ...
XD
That's really hard ... One of my absolute favourite bands uses keyboards like ... all the time. XD But since it is not some kind of really "dirty", straigth hard rock band ... I vote for "no keyboard".
REAL rock 'n' roll doesn't need keyboards. (motörhead with keyboard? XDD)

And in most cases a piano sounds much much better (X proves it :D).

(Nevertheless Rainbow in the dark is so damn cool xD; )

Maya

Wild passion~

"C'mon Yoshiki, you can do this ... if you do it fast, maybe noone notices it's happening ..."
"Eeeek, he kissed me xD"

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 12:08:35 PM
Quote from: "Maya19"

REAL rock 'n' roll doesn't need keyboards. (motörhead with keyboard? XDD)

To be fair, motörhead is no REAL RnR, the "real" thing was back in the 50ies with Little Richard and the like  :P

Overall I agree with what Matthias said. If it sounds good, why not?

And btw, I think the MOST dreadful combination of instruments in rock bands are piano and drums, hardly any band gets it right to combine those so that it doesn't sound like complete cheese.

RIP

Offline Maya

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:22:10 PM
Quote from: "ferret"
To be fair, motörhead is no REAL RnR, the "real" thing was back in the 50ies with Little Richard and the like  :P

C'mon, you know what I mean. Spoilsport :P
And of course you're right xD

WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD AND WE PLAY ROCK 'N' ROLL! >,<

Wild passion~

"C'mon Yoshiki, you can do this ... if you do it fast, maybe noone notices it's happening ..."
"Eeeek, he kissed me xD"

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
  • Beware of the toxic kitten!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/violet_camicat
Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 01:01:58 PM
Voted for "WITH KEYBOARD".

This doesn't mean for me that a keyboard is a absolute must for a rockband, but some bands I like use them and I never found it annoying really. In most things I know they're well integrated in the sound.

Also I have no problems with a keyboard on stage. Guns 'N Roses are a good example for me that it wasn't disturbing to have a keyboard on stage. Same goes for D.T.R (though what I've heard from their live video, Kenji is pretty much hidden in the background). Another example could be Rammstein. Rammstein without Christian "Flake" Lorenz would be much more boring in my opinion!
(Not a Rammstein fan, but Flake rules! What a freak! XD)

I wouldn't count X to that range. It's a piano and live drums and piano never have been played at the same time naturally (if so :arrow: one of the instruments = playback :arrow: I don't count it to live really :P).

As for guitar-like keyboard vs. normal keyboard: I really prefer the normal ones. Of course the keyboard player cannot move much then, but those... strap-on keyboards (sorry :twisted:) simply remind me too much of:

In case you don't know them, click on the pic to see video - WARNING: Watch at your own risk! :twisted:

mod mode

And out of the chaos I heard a voice telling me:
"Smile and be happy - it could have become worse!"
So I smiled and was happy... and it became worse

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 01:04:29 PM
I didn't post anything MT related because I knew one of the German nuts here would  8)  Thank you.

RIP

Offline Beauty/Broken

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 01:14:14 PM
It entirely depends, I suppose how tastefully the keyboard is used is where I draw the line. If by a keyboard player you mean someone who is churning out cheesy synthesised noises at loud volumes I think that it not only will date a song terribly but effectively ruins it.

I think that I prefer a keyboard player to add atmospheric sounds to a song (or simply have a piano player). :lol:

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:17:25 PM
I didn't post anything MT related because I knew one of the German nuts here would  8)  Thank you.

:mrgreen: Couldn't resist! They are too... "cute"!

mod mode

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 03:39:33 PM
If it's an 80's or early 90's band, I'd say hell no for keyboards! Dunno if it's the quality of the keyboards made back then or just lack of talent, but on 99% of the time they sound incredibly plastic and cheesy.

For today I'd say it's almost a must have -thing. Either only in the studio or on stage too, it gives a whole new dimension to the music. And who says you can't be cool with keyboards? If here isn't cool, then I don't know what is. (He comes on stage around 1:25) It's up to the person if he's cool with them or not, don't blame the keyboards ;P

(And here's in case anyones interested.)

Mod color o' mine

Offline Hollywood

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/363181252
Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:55:56 PM
I voted WITH KEYBOARD simply because I'm not automatically anti-keyboard, for me it all depends on how it's used.  It can sound cool or it can sound godawful, but then again so can guitar or singing or anything else.

One thing though, if you're going to have a keyboardist, PUT THE GUY (or girl) ON STAGE!  I hate when bands have "hidden musicians" during concerts, it just annoys the hell out of me for some reason because it makes the whole thing seem so fake.  Even on that D.T.R video... at least poor Kenji is still visible at all; I'd rather he was closer in with the main part of the stage, but who knows, maybe he likes being way up there or something.

Oh, and I also prefer the normal kind of keyboard setup rather than a... "strap-on". ;)

color=darkred]STAND UP!  FUCK UP![/color]

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 09:41:21 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
I'd rather he was closer in with the main part of the stage, but who knows, maybe he likes being way up there or something.

I bet he's that far away because the other members all stink! :D

mod mode

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 09:45:22 PM
Quote from: "Hollywood"
One thing though, if you're going to have a keyboardist, PUT THE GUY (or girl) ON STAGE!

Agreed! Man, I hate that! What's the fuckin' point of hiding a musician?  :evil:

And changing the question a little:

SYNTHETIZERS (is this how you write it?  :?: )

or

NO SYNTHETIZERS

My answer would be HELL NO! on this one...  :twisted:

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 10:02:51 PM
I still didn't get what synthesizers are... XD

mod mode

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 10:05:48 PM
Babylon English-English
synthesizer (Amer.)
n. computerized electronic instrument capable of reproducing the sounds of various musical instruments; person or thing that synthesizes (also synthesiser)

RIP

Offline VioletCamicat

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 10:12:05 PM
Babylon English-English
synthesizer (Amer.)
n. computerized electronic instrument capable of reproducing the sounds of various musical instruments; person or thing that synthesizes (also synthesiser)

T.T Btu i dnot undrstadn tis! i rater stya consuma... i gess

No... ;) Thanks, ferret. But I still don't really understand it, since keyboards can have so many settings and are reproducing sounds as well - as far as I understood it. Such as violins or what ever else.
Possible that I thought a synthesizer is a keyboard though...

mod mode

Offline ferret

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 10:14:55 PM
Quote from: "VioletCamicat"

Possible that I thought a synthesizer is a keyboard though...

By definition they (keyboards) are (synthies), actually, so I don't really know where Arucard is going with this  :P

RIP

Offline Hurley

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 10:15:48 PM
Synthesizer is a keyboard-instrument and usually in bands, synthesizers are referred to as keyboards, which I thought was the case here too. Maybe Arucard has been talking about just pianos then ;P

Mod color o' mine

Offline Arucard

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 01:52:15 AM
Yeah, maybe I made a HUUUGE confusion...  8)

What I meant is that kind of keyboard sound that you usually listen to in 80's Pop or Rock songs, or in game soundtracks... I don't know if there's a particular name for that kind of keyboard sound in english, but in portuguese we usually associate that with the word "synthetizer"... Or whatever...  :twisted:

Offline Edside

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 07:20:02 AM
A synth is quite a different thing really.

Yes to synths, piano and orchestra but I'd say no to keyboards.  :lol: