Faestian's attempts

Faestian · 8536

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
  • wants a hide Signature Fernandes guitar
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
on: February 21, 2010, 10:41:56 AM
I am working on an acrylic portrait of Yoshiki and decided to post the small reference sketch I did on my MySpace. One of my favourite artists is Michael Parks and the skirting is obviously influenced by him. I know Yoshiki's face is off, but it is just the rough draft. I will be doing considerably more studies of his bone and facial structure before I dive into the portrait. I want to nail his pathos. Thanks for looking.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=435793815&albumID=0&imageID=19008959#a=0&i=19008959

Offline Sander

• Administrator
  • Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
    • X-Freaks
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 12:15:34 PM
Wow, even though it's just a rough sketch, I imagine I might like the sketch more than the final work! It looks really awesome.

This is my administrator color.

Offline Neru

• Sunday Listener
  • Somewhere Between Here and There
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 12:53:39 PM
That was really good, it looks like a greek or ancient rome painting. Are you thinking in giving it some colour or in keeping this tone?

The fact that I am a Copy of so many that I admire, makes me feel unique.

Offline Yurga~

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 01:00:43 PM
Looks pretty, but pleas, do something with hands and chest.
It is only mine opinion, but he looks kind so soooo femine here~
especially chest part~
But i love how you drew eyes~~
so waiting for complete result~

Offline Flippinklein

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/lostpyscho
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 03:37:58 PM
that is fantastic.

bravo, really, thats amazing.

i can't wait to see how you handle that fabric,

He lives on with each smile that his music brings to each childs and adults face

Offline Ashemanu

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 03:55:50 PM
I love it, but I like most of your art anyway - and it´s definitely your style! The dress/skirt/kimono is simply great. I cannot wait to see it colored.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 04:45:58 PM
I love it too.
Just the breasts I don't love  :D

Offline demonbefriender

• Fan
  • I think I am a banana tree
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal
Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 05:13:27 PM
Wow, that's amazing. Really clean, fluid lines, and such a beautiful job on the clothing.
I took a look at some of your other work, and it's simply spectacular. Do you post your art on any website?

Michael Parks is one of my favorite artists, too. I could see how some of your work is inspired by his art.

GARBAGE DAY!

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 06:54:43 PM
Wow! Thank you all! I am glad you all like this, and thanks for the feedback. Always appreciated.  ;D I began prepping the canvas last night, and your comments help feed the inspiration.

@Hypno: I often like the prelim sketch better than the final canvas. I am glad you like it.

@Ashemanu: blows you kisses. Thanks hon. I am glad it is recognizable as mine.

@ Yurga and Ann1958: don't be overly concerned about his 'breasts', or hands. lol As mentioned, this is a preliminary sketch; a rough draft. As delicate as Yoshiki can be, he is also absolutely male, but without the proper shading, he looks like he's packing a 'C' cup in this.  ;) Yoshiki does have very elegant hands, but his right one is too big by far in this sketch. 

@Neru: I will be adding colour. The skirting will be a deep blood red with gold accent; the background a soft butter cream fading into sepia. I hope to make it rich, yet minimalist, like the subject. 

@ Flippinkein: I hope to make the fabric a heavy velvet. I have done velvet before, but it can be tricky.  ;)

@ demonbefriender: Very humble gratitude. Some of my art can be seen here: http://whispersinthebamboo.spaces.live.com/ I have not updated that site in forever though. Other fave artists are Brom (modern); the Pre-Raphaelites, Artemisia Gentileschi and Carravagio. It has been a dream to become good enough at my craft to be a career artist but dreams don't pay the rent. Le sigh.

Anyone have any ideas what style to do hide in? I don't think Michael Parks treatment would work on him. Looking for a style that suits the spirit. Again, Thanks to you all for the feedback! 

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 08:12:09 PM
Yurga and Ann1958: don't be overly concerned about his 'breasts'

I am sure Yoshiki could be a very beautiful woman, but still I prefere him without breasts  :D

But you did indeed a very good job!

Offline MiscastDice

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 22, 2010, 06:16:28 AM
I am working on an acrylic portrait of Yoshiki and decided to post the small reference sketch I did on my MySpace. One of my favourite artists is Michael Parks and the skirting is obviously influenced by him. I know Yoshiki's face is off, but it is just the rough draft. I will be doing considerably more studies of his bone and facial structure before I dive into the portrait. I want to nail his pathos. Thanks for looking.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=435793815&albumID=0&imageID=19008959#a=0&i=19008959

Wow, very nice! I can't wait for the final draft...

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 02:22:26 PM
There seems to be an awfully big number of talented artists on this forum.  I once tried to draw hide.  What a joke!

Nice work Faestian.

We are X!!!!!

Offline Faestian

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • Fae's Corner
Reply #12 on: February 23, 2010, 05:36:00 AM
Thank you most humbly, MisCastDice,Tanabata and Ami.  :)

Offline aarenlainey

• View Profile
Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 07:12:35 AM
This is quite nice as it shows more of emotions in it with a wide manner. This painting has consumed a lot of efforts in it. Well I am not so much aware about the finer aspects of acrylic painting, so would conclude that the painting has got quite an amount of depth in it. An artist could observe it easily.

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 01:14:17 PM
How is Faestian going?
Yoshiki still has breasts?

Offline Tanabata

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 03:33:29 PM
Yes, how IS Faestian?  We haven't heard her words of wisdom for a while...

We are X!!!!!

Offline Ann1958

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 12:54:18 PM
Faestian?
Where are you?

Offline farny

• View Profile
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 08:37:29 AM
Looks pretty, but pleas, do something with hands and chest.
It is only mine opinion, but he looks kind so soooo femine here~
especially chest part~