• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi's Injury

LEMONedMe · 4190

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
on: February 17, 2019, 12:28:47 PM
I was looking for info on the band and ran across this article.  I strongly suspect these injuries were caused by the beatings from HoH and not stress. 

Vocalist Toshi developed intercostal neuralgia around November 2009 and was unable to sing or tour as a result until 2010. Later, it would be known that this was due to his life situation's stress at the time. Meanwhile, Yoshiki's recovery and rehabilitation from his neck surgery continued and continues. The band's projects including the new album and any tours, therefore, were on hiatus until their promotional video shoot in Hollywood January 9th 2010, which was held on top of the Hollywood and Highland mall and open to the public.

Toshi announced in a subsequent press conference that he had left his religion, and accused its leader and his ex-wife of taking all his income for over 12 years, filing fraudulent tax returns and taking out loans in his name without his knowledge. For a while, Masaya still owned many of Toshi's official properties and necessitated that Toshi change his stage name to Tosh 1 as well as not have his own online sites for around a year until the legal matters were settled.
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Music/XJapan

Intercostal Neuralgia
What is intercostal neuralgia?
Intercostal neuralgia is neuropathic pain involving the intercostal nerves. These are the nerves that arise from the spinal cord, below the ribs.

Intercostal neuralgia tends to cause thoracic pain, which affects your chest wall and upper trunk.

What are the symptoms?
The main symptom of intercostal neuralgia is burning, sharp, or shooting pain. This pain may be felt:

around the ribs
in the upper chest
in the upper back
Additional symptoms in these areas include:

a squeezing pressure sensation that wraps around the chest from front to back
tingling
numbness
The pain might feel worse even when doing gentle physical activities, such as deep breathing or stretching. It might also intensify when you laugh, cough, or sneeze. Some people also notice referred pain in their shoulder blade or lower pelvis. Referred pain is pain that you feel in an area other than the affected one.

Intercostal neuralgia caused by the shingles virus (postherpetic neuralgia) can also make your skin itchy and extremely sensitive, even to clothing.

Symptoms of more severe cases of intercostal neuralgia include:

involuntary muscle twitching
loss of appetite
paralysis
muscle atrophy
pain that feels like a lightning bolt

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:03:35 PM
Also,  intercostal neuralgia can be caused by anxiety or severe stress, which totally lines up with his situation back then.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:28:25 PM
Also,  intercostal neuralgia can be caused by anxiety or severe stress, which totally lines up with his situation back then.

That could be, however, I still think the physical abuse is what caused it.  From the book...

pg. 28 -  Until when do you plan to continue being such a bad disciple?!” Masaya kicked my
back. The violence and abuse continued for many hours, until they decided to stop and I completely
gave in. That night, it went on for over three hours.

pg. 29 - Yet, Moritani kicked my back and stepped on me very
heavily.
With the impact of her stepping on me, for a brief moment I opened my eyes and saw the cuff
of someone’s pants and they removed their slippers. These were Masaya’s feet. Many, many times,
he hit me in the head and face with the slippers, the tingling pain echoed on top of my head
. Then,
Masaya yelled together with the others. “You’ve seen that person dead, now you’re disturbed,
bastard! The future of egoists in a visual rock group like X Japan is suicide! You know that, you beast!
If you don’t participate in our
trainings, the same will happen to you! Get this through your head!” Many hours passed, still with the
abuse and violence.
But in the end, I was unable to cry or scream.

pg. 55  - The atmosphere in the
flight was relaxing, but I had pain from being kicked on the back the previous night, the usual pain in
my chest, and throbbing pain in a part of my face.
As I tried to withstand these pains, I stared at the
window, thinking in nothing else but how I would plan my escape. (But, no matter which way or how
I escape, there’s no doubt that Moritani would go after me...)
When I closed my eyes, I saw her evil expression.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 11:05:05 AM
Interesting but impossible to know for sure what caused it. Stress, physical injury or a combination of the two. In any case, poor guy, I'm glad he got the hell out of that bloody cult.

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline ottkaji

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2021, 09:19:27 PM
Taking this and Toshis book into account I kind of wonder if some of the lyrics in this song were a cry for help. The lyrics and credits are in the description but fair warning. It's very creepy in hindsight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4yxk3uXOw

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2021, 10:46:45 PM
Yes it is.

Btw. the drummer of T-Earth is amazing! Back then and today.

positively unsure。

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 09:09:16 AM
This sure seems like it is Toshi crying out for help or at least telling everyone he in pain.  And he was, both physical and mental.  :( :'(

Offline ottkaji

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2021, 05:46:19 PM
Look at the description. Specifically who wrote the lyrics and what those lyrics contain. It could be analyzed for years.

PAIN
PAIN Album -- 09.3.15
Lyrics: TOSHI & MASAYA
Music: MASAYA

You sleep in the freezing cold every night.
That's whatyou have done since you were small.
You sleep painfully under suppression.
That's the way you have always led "Nichijo".
Break off your weakness.
Keep on shouting.
You're too weak to say even a word.
Repressing every emotion within yourself.
With your tongue all tied up in knots,
You can never ever stop saying No!

My pain rules over me, never leaving me free.
The child inside of me is scared, wearing a mask.
He puts on a smile, regretting his destiny.

The world is full of little children just like myself.
They don not even dare to have a dream for the future.
I want to give courage to the entire world.
I want to show them the beauty of our Earth. Oh.

Free yourself from the pain,
And redeem your shining heart.

Unable to express your loving emotions,
Only to repress your ugly hatred.
Unable to realize what you've hope for
Only to deceive yourself in disgust.

Be courageous to love your pain,
Even to love your own enemy.
Be courageous to love our Earth,
Something precious you have never left behind.

The world is full of big grown-ups just like myself.
We've lost the path that leads us to the light.
I want to cheer up all the people of the world,
And encourage them to love this planet Earth. Oh
Unchain yourself from the pain,
And redeem your shining heart.
Why don't you regain courage
To cherish your one and only life?

Free yourself from the pain,
And reclaim your radiant soul.
Your crying heart, let it burn so wild.
Let it burn, "Moyase".

The fact that Toshi was recording Jade while Morotany was stalking and terrorizing him before he was kidnapped ruined that song for me a bit as well. I just realized that I'm about to go to bed after a graveyard shift and just gave myself nightmares.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 29, 2021, 03:46:34 AM
Hmmm, you would think Masaya would not release music that showed what he put people through.   Strange, that.   But maybe he didn't think he'd ever get caught and in a way, he didn't. 

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 29, 2021, 05:59:45 AM
Hmmm, you would think Masaya would not release music that showed what he put people through.   Strange, that.   But maybe he didn't think he'd ever get caught and in a way, he didn't.

it's kind of true that the best way to hide something is by showing a secret in the broad daylight, though.

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 09:28:55 AM
apparently Masaya's songs are still on sale online. How's he still be able to get away with that  ???

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: May 31, 2021, 11:01:21 PM
apparently Masaya's songs are still on sale online. How's he still be able to get away with that  ???
I don't know and I would like to know why and how he is allowed to own the copyright to Toshi's name, spelled Toshi, so that the real Toshi has to spell it differently or at least capitolize the I as in ToshI. That's not right!!! That's his name, ffs!

Offline ottkaji

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2021, 10:03:41 AM

The first verse is sounds exactly like what Masaya and Morotani always screamed at him. The thing about cult leaders is that It's not the money or the ability to beat up or sleep with anyone they want that motivates them. It's the fact that they have complete control and want to make sure that the power they hold over someone is on display for all to see. Also going on the assumption that Toshi was actually allowed to write lyrics to this song and the writing credits aren't a complete lie, (always a distinct possibility) this was maybe an answer to Yoshiki. Ever since reading about Toshi and Yoshikis first meeting after rejoining X I kind of interpreted the chorus lyrics to I.V. to be, subconsciously at least, asking Toshi if he needs help and any lyrics Toshi wrote for this song Pain as an answer to Yoshiki. That answer being "Yes, get me the hell out of here." obviously.

From what I know, as long as there are no criminal charges you can sell any of your own products including music you want to and I don't think that they have a copyright on his exact name perse but only using it as a stage name. Of course they don't deserve the copyrights to anything from Toshi but the justice system works on what's legal and not what's right.

Back to the injury when I first saw the music video for Pain this part of the book was the only thing on my mind.

"Their goal was money
Until now, in these 12 years, almost every day I had to go to the bank to pay or transfer the money I had on hand to Moritani. After X Japan’s return in 2008, once in two weeks, Masaya would come from Nasu to Tokyo and I would pay the money for Moritani. In a month, if there was “little” money, it would be at around several thousand million yen. It there was “a lot” of money, it would be at around several billions. The only way I could escape from the abuse and violence, each time increasing in severity, was to pay Moritani.

One day, in late June 2009, after going through a lot of work to make 5 million yen, I was going to pay it directly to Moritani. She aggressively snatched the money from my hand, shouting in hysteria.
“This is not even close to being fucking enough!”
Some days ago I had paid her in cash 3 million yen.
That was when it happened again. All of a sudden, my ribs felt like they were being squeezed, breathing became painful, my forehead became damp with cold sweat. My face contorted from the excruciating pain. But, Moritani started with the verbal abuse with no concern for me at all.
“Because of you, everyone is having it rough! Fucking chin man!”
The cold sweat ran down the back of my neck. Grasping my fists, I was shaking. But I felt courage surging from inside my stomach and I couldn’t hold it back any more.
“In the end, it’s all about money, isn’t it?!”
This was one of these moments when I felt the strong sense of doubt I had accumulated show. This was the first time I shouted back at Moritani.
After a while of silence, she said in a cold tone.
“Would you say that to Masaya, face to face?”
I didn’t say anything.
I still felt a lighter pain around the ribs but I could barely breathe.
Unexpectedly, Moritani dramatically changed, now she started to cry.
“I just want you, Ago*, to do good deeds. I fully support you, Ago. I’m doing all this hard work to support you.”
I could only hear lies in these words. When she told me things like this, I usually felt very apologetic. But now, I only saw it as some type of acting.

Moritani was now, to me, a frightening demon who came to steal my money.

[* Ago = chin]"

Offline TaijiSawada

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 03:30:44 PM
@ottkaji thanks for clarifying.

I stumbled across this clip from 1999. You can really tell that he's disoriented to say the least :-\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv_groQEUxk