Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
on: December 16, 2018, 02:57:53 PM

Meanwhile in Japan:

HYDE will be releasing a new single titled "ZIPANG" on January 23.

The song, which will be a ballad, has already been performed during the singer's recent live shows.

YOSHIKI participated in the production of the single. He plays the piano in the single's recording.

Source: https://www.jpopasia.com/feed/24832/hyde-announces-new-single-zipang/

Also Hyde has written a new song for the video game Devil May Cry 5 called Mad Qualia that will be released next year. But there are not many infos on that song yet.

Source: https://www.jpopasia.com/feed/24955/hyde-provides-new-song-mad-qualia-for-upcoming-video-game-devil-may-cry-5/

See Yoshiki? That's how you make your fans happy.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 12:54:00 PM by Kasumi »

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:36:34 AM
Well, that song was definitely different.   ;D

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:28:05 AM
Well, that song was definitely different.   ;D
Well yes it is...

I am honestly surprised at how hard-working Hyde is lately. He is releasing song after song in such a short period of time. I almost forgot that other artists have regular releases. That's how much X Japan has changed my way of looking at other bands. XD

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 11:37:58 PM
(...) I almost forgot that other artists have regular releases. That's how much X Japan has changed my way of looking at other bands. XD

true dat!

positively unsure。

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:39:28 AM
So true! That feeling of bliss when one of the bands you like announces new singles, new albums, new tours, new concerts, new everything!

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:49:24 PM
https://www.jpopasia.com/feed/25126/hyde-announces-new-single-mad-qualia/

Hyde announces his new single "Mad Qualia" which will be released on March 20.  :)

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 12:53:42 AM
In the mean time, I am going to post Hyde's range, here, from The Range Place because they do change things around on that site or move sites and when they move them, they don't appear to bring previous ratings with them.  In other words, I posted Toshi's when I found it and then they moved.  Toshi's ratings are no longer on the new board and I can't locate the old board, anywhere.  So here goes.

Rated by IhateMana

寶井 秀人 (Hideto Takarai)

Aug 31, 2016 22:57:26 GMT -6 IhateMana said:

寶井 秀人 (Hideto Takarai)

Associated Acts: L’arc~en~Ciel, Vamps, Jerusalem’s Rod

Voice Type: The Fourth Avenue Tenor
Vocal Range: E♭2 - B♭5

{questionable notes}
A5 ("Redrum")
G5 ("Inner Core")

C♯5 ("I Gotta Kick Start Now")

A2 ("Be Destined")
F♯2 ("Kasou", "Sweet Vanilla")
E2 ("B.Y.O.B (Bring Your Own Blood) questionable identity, "Rise or Die", "Route 666")
D2 ("Inner Core", "It's Sad", "Made in Heaven", "Trick" This note does not sound consistent with the rest of his voice, possibly altered or another singer)
C♯2 ("Secret Signs")
C2 ("Spiral")

Significant High Notes

B♭5 ("Street Rock & Roller" Live with 44 Magnum)
A5 ("Bless" Live L'arc~en~Ciel 20th L'Anniversary, "Dearest Love", "Hitomi no Juunin", "Niji" Live L'arc~en~Ciel 25th L'anniversary)
G♯5 ("Devil Side", "Rumble")
G5 ("Dearest Love", "Ghost", "Live Wire" Live, "Replay", "Sex Blood Rock n' Roll")
F♯5 ("In the Air", "Neo Universe", "Route 666")
F5 ("Dolly", "The Jolly Roger", "Secret Signs", "Still I’m With You")
E5 ("Cosmos", "Dearest Love", "Everlasting", "The Ghost in My Room", "Hitomi no Juunin", "Jiyuu e no Shoutai", "The Nepenthes", "Shizuka no Umi de", "What is Love", "White Feathers")
E♭5 ("Dive to Blue", "Don't Hold Back", "Lips", "Replay", "Sin in Justice", "X X X")
D5 ("A Silent Letter", "All Dead", "All Year Round Falling In Love", "Be Destined", "Cradle", "Dune", "Everlasting", "Get Up", "Hitomi no Juunin", "Honey", "Hurry Xmas", "Inner Core", "Jesus Christ", "The Jolly Roger", "Kasou", "Kuchizuke", "Lips", "Mission", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "The Past", "Piano Duet", "The Rain Leaves a Scar", "Season's Call", "Shutting from the Sky", "The Silver Shining", "Snow Drop", "Spiral", "Time Goes By", "Tsukioku no Joukei", "White Feathers", "White Song", "Wild Flower", "Wings Flap", "X X X", "Yuki no Ashiato", "Zero")
C♯5 ("As if In a Dream", "Bless", "Caress of Venus", "Chase", "Coming Closer", "Cosmos", "Driver’s High", "Entichers", "Forbidden Lover", "Mirai Sekai", "Neo Universe", "New World", "Secret Signs", "Shallow Sleep", "Time Slip")
C5 ("Ahead", "Anata", "Alone En La Vida", "Blame", "Calling", "Daybreak’s Bell", "Dearest Love", "Dive to Blue", "Dolly", "Drink it Down", "Euphoria", "Fare Well", "Finale", "Ghost", "The Ghost in My Room", "Hitomi no Juunin", "Honey", "I Gotta Kick Start Now", "I'm So Happy", "Inner Core", "It's Sad", "It’s the End", "Kaze ni Kienaide", "La Vie en Rose", "Link", "Loreley", "Lost Heaven", "Memories", "Mission", "Perfect Blue", "Piano Duet", "Pieces", "Rise Up", "Sai wa Nagerareta", "Sayonara", "Season's Call", "Secret Letters", "Shi no Hai", "Shinjitsu to Gensou to", "Shout at the Devil", "Singing in the Rain", "Spiral", "Still I’m With You", "Time Goes On", "Umibe", "Vampire Depression", "Vivid Colours", "What is Love", "Who's Gonna Save Us", "World's End", "Yuki no Ashiato")
B4 ("All Dead", "Anata no Tame ni", "Angel Trip", "Birth!", "The Black Rose", "Bless", "Bravery", "Brilliant Years", "Butterfly’s Sleep", "Bye Bye", "C’est la Vie", "Chase", "Coming Closer", "Driver’s High", "Eien", "Evanescent", "Everlasting", "Fate", "Flower", "Forbidden Lover", "The Fourth Avenue Cafe", "Get Away", "Get Up", "The Ghost in My Room", "Good Luck My Way", "Hoshizora", "I Can Feel", "Ibara no Namida", "Jiyuu e no Shoutai", "Jojoushi", "Kaze no Yukue", "Lies and Truth", "Lips", "Loreley", "Love Flies", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "Metropolis", "My Dear", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Natsu no Yuuutsu", "Neo Universe", "The Nepenthes", "Niji", "Perfect Moment", "Pieces", "Rise or Die", "Route 666", "Seventh Heaven", "Shi no Hai", "Shining Over You", "Shout at the Devil", "A Silent Letter", "The Silver Shining", "Spirit Dreams Inside", "Sunadokei", "Sweet Dreams", "Time Goes By", "Time Slip", "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Vamp Addiction", "Voice", "White Feathers", "Winter Fall", "Who's Gonna Save Us", "Yuki no Ashiato", "Zero")
B♭4 ("and She Said", "Angel Trip", "Blurry Eyes", "Break Free", "Bye Bye", "Calling", "Chase", "Damned", "Don't Hold Back", "Entichers", "Euphoria", "Evil", "Faith", "Ghost", "Heaven’s Drive", "Inside of Me", "Life On Mars?", "Link", "Made in Heaven", "Memories", "Midnight Celebration", "My First Last", "New World", "The Past", "Pieces", "Pretty Girl", "Promised Land", "Ready Steady Go", "Redrum", "Replay", "Rise Up", "Rumble", "Season's Call", "Secret in My Heart", "Sell My Soul", "Sex Blood Rock n' Roll", "Shade of Season", "Sin in Justice", "Spiral", "Still I’m With You", "Umibe", "Wild Flower", "X X X")
A4 ("A Silent Letter", "Ahead", "All Year Round Falling In Love", "Alone En La Vida", "Anata", "and She Said", "As if In a Dream", "Be Destined", "The Black Rose", "Blame", "Bleed for Me", "Bless", "Bloodsuckers", "Blurry Eyes", "Bravery", "Brilliant Years", "Butterfly’s Sleep", "Caress of Venus", "C’est la Vie", "Cosmos", "Cureless", "Damned", "Dearest Love", "Devil Side", "Dive to Blue", "Dune", "Eien", "Entichers", "Evanescent", "Everlasting", "Existence", "Faith", "Fare Well", "Fate", "Feeling Fine", "Flower", "The Fourth Avenue Cafe", "Fruits of Chaos", "Get Away", "Get Up", "Ghost", "Glass Dama", "good-morning Hide", "Heaven’s Drive", "Hello", "Hitomi no Juunin", "Honey", "Horizon", "Hunting", "I Can Feel", "Ibara no Namida", "In the Air", "Inside Myself", "It's Sad", "Jesus Christ", "Jiyuu e no Shoutai", "Jojoushi", "The Jolly Roger", "Kasou", "Kaze ni Kienaide", "Kaze no Yukue", "Killing Me", "Link", "Loreley", "Love Addict", "Masquerade", "Metropolis", "milky way", "Mission", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Nemuri ni Yosete", "New Days Dawn", "Nexus 4", "Niji", "Peeping Tom", "Piano Duet", "Pieces", "Redrum", "Revelation", "Revolution", "Round and Round", "Sai wa Nagerareta", "Secret in My Heart", "Secret Signs", "Seventh Heaven", "Shi no Hai", "Shine", "Shining Over You", "Shinjitsu to Gensou to", "Shizuka no Umi de", "Shutting from the Sky", "Snow Drop", "Spirit Dreams Inside", "Still I’m With You", "Sweet Dreams", "Sweet Vanilla", "Time Goes On", "Time Slip", "Trust", "Tsukioku no Joukei", "Twinkle, Twinkle", "Umibe", "Vampire's Love", "What is Love", "White Feathers", "White Song", "Wind of Gold", "Wings Flap", "World's End")
G♯4 ("Butterfly’s Sleep", "C’est la Vie", "Countdown", "Devil Side", "Don't Be Afraid", "Existence", "Get Away", "Hurry Xmas", "I Gotta Kick Start Now", "In the Air", "Jojoushi", "La Vie en Rose", "My Dear", "Neo Universe", "New World", "Perfect Moment", "Prayer", "Ready Steady Go", "Secrets Signs", "Shallow Sleep", "Stay Away", "Taste of Love", "Umibe", "X X X")
G4 ("All Dead", "All Year Round Falling In Love", "Alone En La Vida", "Anata no Tame ni", "and She Said", "Birth!", "Blurry Eyes", "Break Free", "Caress of Venus", "Cradle", "Cureless", "Daybreak’s Bell", "Don't Be Afraid", "Don't Hold Back", "Everlasting", "Evil", "Faith", "Fare Well", "Finale", "Flood of Tears", "Fruits of Chaos", "Get Out from the Shell", "The Ghost in My Room", "Hideaway", "I Can Feel", "I Wish", "I'm So Happy", "In This Hell", "Inside Myself", "It's Sad", "It’s the End", "Jesus Christ", "Jiyuu e no Shoutai", "Kasou", "Kaze ni Kienaide", "Kuchizuke", "Lost Heaven", "Love Flies", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "Masquerade", "Milky Way", "My First Last", "Natsu no Yuuutsu", "Nemuri ni Yosete", "Ophelia", "Piano Duet", "Prayer", "Promised Land", "The Rain Leaves a Scar", "Round and Round", "Rumble", "Sai wa Nagerareta", "Sayonara", "Sell My Soul", "Shi no Hai", "Shine", "Shizuka no Umi de", "Shout at the Devil", "Shutting from the Sky", "The Silver Shining", "Singing in the Rain", "Spiral", "Sweet Vanilla", "A Swell in the Sun", "Taste of Love", "Underworld", "Vivid Colours", "Voice", "White Feathers", "Who's Gonna Save Us")

Significant Low Notes

D3 ("Anata no Tame ni", "Angel Trip", "Be Destined", "Birth!", "Blurry Eyes", "Countdown", "Cureless", "Dolly", "Drink it Down", "A Drop of Colour", "Evergreen", "Faith", "Fare Well", "Flood of Tears", "The Fourth Avenue Cafe", "Fruits of Chaos", "Inside Myself", "Lips", "Loreley", "Lover Boy", "Metropolis", "The Nepenthes", "Peeping Tom", "Piano Duet", "Pretty Girl", "Round and Round", "Sai wa Nagerareta", "Sayonara", "Time Goes By", "Trick", "Unexpected")
C♯3 ("and She Said", "Bless", "Forbidden Lover", "Hoshizora", "Niji", "Orenji no Taiyou", "Shallow Sleep", "Shining Over You", "Snow Drop", "Time Slip", "White Song")
C3 ("As One", "Break Free", "Hurry Xmas", "In This Hell", "It's Sad", "Kaze ni Kienaide", "Lips", "Made in Heaven", "Memories", "Nemuri ni Yosete", "Prayer", "The Rain Leaves a Scar", "Redrum", "Rise Up", "Secret Letters", "Wild Flower")
B2 ("Alone En La Vida", "Anata no Tame ni", "and She Said", "The Cape of Storms", "Damned", "Daybreak’s Bell", "good-morning Hide", "Hitomi ni Utsuru Mono", "Horizon", "In the Air", "Inner Core", "Kasou", "Lover Boy", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Nemuri ni Yosete", "Peeping Tom", "Rise or Die", "Route 666", "Sex Blood Rock n' Roll", "Shinshoku ~Lose Control~", "Shizuka no Umi de", "Shutting from the Sky", "Spirit Dreams Inside", "Stay Away", "Sunadokei", "A Swell in the Sun", "Taste of Love", "Ushinawareta Nagame", "Vamp Addiction", "Voice", "White Feathers")
B♭2 ("Entichers", "Life On Mars?", "Shade of Season", "Sweet Vanilla", "Taste of Love", "Tsukioku no Joukei")
A2 ("All Dead", "Blame", "Bleed for Me", "Damned", "The Ghost in My Room", "Glass Dama", "I'm So Happy", "In the Air", "It's Sad", "Kuchizuke", "Love Addict", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", "Mission", "My First Last", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "New Days Dawn", "Oasis", "Prayer", "Seventh Heaven", "Shining Over You", "The Silver Shining", "A Swell in the Sun", "Vampire Depression", "Ushinawareta Nagame", "Yuki no Ashiato")
G♯2 ("Butterfly’s Sleep", "Get Out from the Shell", "La Vie en Rose", "My Dear", "Promised Land", "Shinjitsu to Gensou to", "Time Slip", "Wind of Gold", "Winter Fall")
G2 ("Angel's Tale", "Caress of Venus", "Countdown", "Midnight Celebration", "Ready Steady Go", "Shi no Hai", "A Silent Letter", "White Feathers", "White Song")
F♯2 ("Daybreak’s Bell", "Seventh Heaven", "Stay Away", "A Swell in the Sun", "Twinkle, Twinkle")
E2 ("Promised Land")
E♭2 ("Evil")

*Blue indicates falsetto
*Italics indicates non-melodic notes
*Underlines indicate notes that are buried in backing vocals, harmonies or otherwise obscured in the mix
*Boldface indicates notes that are particularly notable examples of this singer's capabilities

One of the most successful figures in Japanese rock music, the ever charismatic Hyde is the frontman for L’arc~en~Ciel, a.k.a, the biggest band you’ve never heard of. Hyde’s performances are always high energy. Hyde very rarely sounds uncomfortable in any of his registers, both his low notes and his high notes are very strong.

{discography}

L’arc~en~Ciel
(1993) Dune (A2 - D5)
(1994) Tierra (G2 - F♯5)
(1995) Heavenly (A2 - F♯5)
(1996) True (G2 - A5)
(1998) Heart (E2 - C5)
(1999) Ark (G♯2 - E5)
(1999) Ray (A2 - D5)
(2000) Real (F♯2 - F♯5)
(2004) Smile (G2 - A5)
(2005) Awake (F♯2 - E5)
(2007) Kiss (F♯2 - D5)
(2012) Butterfly (B♭2 - E♭5)

Solo

(2002) Roentgen (G2 - D5)
(2003) 666 (G2 - B4)
(2006) Faith (G2 - F5)

Vamps

(2009) Vamps (A2 - G5)
(2010) Beast (A2 - G♯5)
(2014) Bloodsuckers (E♭2 - G5)
(2017) Underworld (A2 - E♭5)

{op by SashaHaji}Current Status: Ready for Review

Voice Type: Tenor.
Sung Range: F♯2-F5-A5 (for now)

Significant Low Notes:

F♯2 ("Twinkle Twinkle".)
G2 ("Angel's Tale".)
G♯2 ("My Dear", "Wind of Gold")
A2 ("Blame", "Wind Of Gold", "Shade of Season", "My Heart Draws a Dream")
B♭2 ("My Dear", "Taste of love".)
B2 ("Spirit Dreams Inside", "Twinkle Twinkle", "In the air", "Blame", "Nemuri ni Yosete", "Hitomi ni utsura mono", "White Feathers", "Voice", "Ushinawareta Nagame", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Sunadokei".)
C3 ("As One", "Blame", "Nemuri ni Yosete", "Hitomi ni utsura mono", "White Feathers", "Hurry Xmas")
C♯3 ("My Dear", "Hoshizora", "Twinkle Twinkle", "Forbidden Lover", "White Song", "A Drop Of Colour")
D3 ("In the Air", "Voice", "Shade of Season", "Pretty Girl", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Unexpected", "White Song")
E3 ("Kuchizuke (Seppun)", "Lover Boy", "Feeling Fine", "Coming Closer", "Hitomi no Jyunin",
"Drivers High", "Jojoshi", "Dive to Blue", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Sunadokei", "Daybreak's Bell")

Significant High notes:

G4 ("Lost Heaven", "Trust", "Killing Me", "As One", "Jiyu e no Shotai", "White Feathers", "Voice", "Taste of Love", "Flood of Tears", "Ready Steady Go", "Perfect Blue", "Eien", "XXX", "Bless", "Pretty Girl", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Sunadokei", "Daybreak's Bell", "Umibe", "The Black Rose", "Yuki no Ashiato", "Hurry Xmas", "Flower", "Season's Call", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds")
G♯4 ("New World", "Jojoshi", "My Dear", "Existence", "Forbidden Lover", "Heaven's Drive","Butterfly's Sleep", "Umibe", "Hurry Xmas", "Shallow Sleep")
A4 ("Trust", "Jojoshi", "Killing Me", "Existence", "Twinkle Twinkle", "Blame", "Blurry Eyes", "Kaze no Yukue", "White Feathers", "Voice", "Dune", "Be Destined", "As if in a Dream", "Heaven's Drive", "Dive to Blue", "Pieces", "Eien","Bye Bye", "Bless", "Pretty Girl", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Sunadokei", "The Black Rose", "Sweet Dreams", "Hurry Xmas", "Season's Call", "Jesus Christ".)
A♯4 ("New World", "Blurry Eyes", "Heaven's Drive","Dive to Blue", "Chase", "XXX","Bye Bye", "Shade of Season", "Wild Flower", "Pretty Girl", "Umibe", "Season's Call".)
B4 ("New World", "Lost Heaven", "Jojoshi", "Hoshizora", "Inner Core", "Kaze no Yukue", "White Feathers", "Hitomi no Jyunin", "Forbidden Lover", "Driver's High","Cradle", "Butterfly's Sleep", "Pieces", "Eien", "Chase", "Bless", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "Sunadokei", "Daybreak's Bell", "Sweet Dreams", "Yuki no Ashiato", "Flower", "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds")
C5 ("Perfect Blue", "Lost Heaven", "Jiyu e no Shotai", "Cradle","Dive to Blue", "真実と幻想と (Shinjitsu To Gensou To)", "Shade of Season", "Drink it Down", "Wild Flower", "Link", "Yuki no Ashiato", "Hitomi no Jyunin", "Season's Call", "Secret Letters" )
C♯5 ("New World", "Forbidden Lover", "My Heart Draws a Dream", "As if in a Dream")
D5 ( "Jiyu e no Shotai", "Be Destined", "Hitomi no Jyunin", "Cradle", "XXX", "Wild Flower", "My Heart Draws a Dream" , "Jesus Christ live")
D♯5 ("Dive to Blue", "Yuki no Ashiato")
E5 ("Jiyu e no Shotai", "Hitomi no Jyunin", "Perfect Blue (live)", "Jesus Christ live")
F5: ("Pretty Girl (live Paris)")
G5 ("Hitomi no Jyunin")
A5 ("Hitomi no Jyunin", "Bless (20th L'Anniversary Live)" )

*Purple marks notes in backing vocals.
*Orange marks notes with questionable registers: absolutely no use figuring out these.
*Blue marks probable non-modal notes.
*Red marks extremely bad, unimpressive or unintentional notes.
*Italics mark non-sung notes.

Best Vocal Performances

1. Hitomi no Jyunin.
2. Link.
3. Jiyu e no Shotai.
4. Hoshizora.
5. My Heart Draws a Dream.
6. As if in a Dream.
7. New World.
8. My Dear.
9. Jojoshi.
10. Season's Call

Great live's:

[flash(425,350)]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyfinWnsMfI[/flash]

1 pitch lower than original album version, but still amazing performance:
[flash(425,350)]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=godTAqaU67w[/flash]

[flash(425,350)]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dfzU_ZWgVw[/flash]

[/font][/quote]

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 02:03:31 PM
Thank you LEMONedMe for putting his voice ranking here.  :)

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2019, 09:57:42 PM
https://youtu.be/_wKq_C_LzM0

Here is a video of the new song ZIPANG from HYDE with Yoshiki on the piano. Enjoy!

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2019, 10:01:07 PM
WTF!

I don't know what to say... It's FUCKING AWESOME!!!1111!

I mean, really. This is one of the best songs I've listened to for a long time.

It doesn't has the typical Yoshiki signature piano in it, but something different. The piano is fucking great, the guitars, the voice, the drums. FUCK, this is a really damn good song!
I'm listening to it for the 3rd time atm. It's really beautiful.

It's a fucking proper Rock Ballad. Damn I love this song. I really do.

positively unsure。

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 10:33:34 PM
Pretty cool song actually

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 02:58:27 AM
I love this song, seriously I think it's really good. I like how Yoshiki stepped out of his comfort zone in the piano, it's not his typical style and Hyde sounds pretty good too.

I bought it on iTunes and the physical copy too  8)

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 11:02:33 AM
lol,
why did you bought both? :D

positively unsure。

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 11:07:17 AM
lol,
why did you bought both? :D

Tbh, because I didn’t know there was a physical copy until hours later

Offline hatsor

• Administrator
  • Rookie
  • Without music, life would be a mistake.-Nietzsche
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:32:21 AM
I think that Zipang is a really good song. It's a good rock ballad that doesn't try to be more than what it is. I like how it feels a bit proggy at times. Like NB said, Yoshiki really left his more recent comfort zone on this one. Gives a bit of a feel of when X-Japan had much, much more prog and symphonic elements to them.

Hopefully the songs on the new X album will be a bit more like this and far less generic rock :)

I know not what tomorrow will bring. - F.P.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 05:13:52 PM
Hello people! Nice to see so many liking the new song.  :)

I found some behind the scenes video: https://youtu.be/_l0nuiRsD6g
The video features Hyde being cold, Yoshiki not knowing how to blow out candles and the beautiful scenery of the music video of course!  ;D Enjoy.

According to Wikipedia (and someone on twitter also pointed this out) the song ZIPANG was written by HYDE and Nicholas Furlong.
The B-side of the single is a cover of the song Ordinary World by Duran Duran

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 11:37:03 PM
cool making of. thank you Kasumi for sharing.

I like the Voiceless version of the song so you could really hear each instrument and the exact arrangements.

and yeah, Hyde is freezing to death and Yoshiki strangled with the candles.

Nice video, thx again.

positively unsure。

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 02:32:44 AM
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av42766160?from=search&seid=16959038534886917154

MC : Hyde and Yoshiki collaborate in front of a world heritage site.

Reporter : Nice to meet you.
Hyde & Yoshiki : Nice to meet you too.

Narrator : The collaboration between L'Arc-en-Ciel’s vocalist Hyde and X Japan’s leader Yoshiki came true. Collaboration song ZIPANG will be released today.

Reporter : What kind of song is it?
Hyde : When I held concerts in foreign countries, I used to think that I want to play a song that emphasizes elegant Japanese melody and the beauty of Japan. One day when I was in Kyoto, I thought to make it now. Because it has an atmosphere.
Yoshiki : Did you compose it in Kyoto?
Hyde : Yes. Since the piano will become main, I thought what if I ask this to Yoshiki. I aimed at timing when Yoshiki was in a good mood and asked him.

Narrator : The theme is Japan, and the music video was taken at Toji(東寺) in Kyoto, which is registered as a World Heritage Site.

Reporter : That is fabulous! What do you call that? Bodhisattva?
Yoshiki : Fabulous!
Hyde : It feels like “What the hell is that?”. I thought I had to do that level in order to win a World Heritage. So I gambled.
Yoshiki : That was a great gamble. You made a set and put a crystal piano there...
Hyde : Above all things, isn’t it the biggest problem if Yoshiki will come or not?
MC : Sure.
Hyde : I asked him “I’d like to film in Kyoto, can you come?” Because he is busy.
Yoshiki : I had a concert in Kyoto the day before.
Hyde : I thought that he might get there if I arrange the shooting time for him.
MC : Great!

Narrator : It is said that the deal of collaboration started from the accidental opportunity.

Hyde : Usually Yoshiki stays in LA. I had an opportunity to eat together and this came up. It was quite a while ago when I first met him. But I was being intimidated by him. I thought like “Finally, it’s time to be beaten up by him”. I was bracing for it, but we really had a wonderful time.
reporter : So, did you talk about collaboration on the spot? 
Yoshiki : I received an e-mail. But the mail came under a different name. I didn’t opened the mail. Later I realized that it was the mail, after a month later. I was very sorry.
Hyde : I thought “Is he ignoring me?”

MC : ZIPANG by Hyde and featuring Yoshiki will be released today.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 08:38:14 PM
That was very interesting! Thank you for translating lakeisle.  :D

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 09:15:02 PM
I confess that I hadn't properly listened to Zipang yet. A few thoughts on it:

1) Hyde's voice really is incredible. I think he's hands down one of the best singers in the current Jrock scene. There's something really powerful and enthralling about his voice and this single brought me back to my teens and reminded me of what drove me to listen to L'arc~en~ciel in the first place, considering I'm usually more into metal.
2) Yoshiki's presence in the song and videoclip adds depth to it and for once he didn't make it all about himself, which was nice to listen to and watch. The piano bit is really good.
3) I have mixed feelings about the videoclip. It has some really ineteresting scenes, but I think Hyde's bodhisattva (?) styling looked kind of cheap and is overall of rather bad taste. Not entirely sure why, though.
4) Overall a really interesting song. I definitely prefer this one over Red Swan. I couldn't find a translation of the lyrics, but I'd love to know what it is about.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 09:17:56 PM
I couldn't find a translation of the lyrics, but I'd love to know what it is about.
Ah that reminds me that I need to look out for a translation. I am pretty curious about the lyrics as well.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2019, 03:06:46 AM
I heard(or read) somewhere that the lyrics in ZIPANG were written in an ancient Japanese language. I read the lyrics(https://lyricstranslate.com/ko/hyde-zipang-japanese-version-lyrics.html) and caught the general meaning(with the help of google translator), but can't translate it into another language, because I'm not able to break down the sentences.

The general meaning is "Japan is beautiful", "Spring, summer, autumn, and winter in Japan are beautiful", "The sun rises"... At a word, "Japan is fantastic".

My impression is that the lyrics of this song were written in Orientalism. Like the song title. Jipang/Jipangu was first mentioned by Marco Polo. His book "Il Milione" is full of fantasy and exaggeration about the Orient. I can understand the author. When an adventurer discover the New World, he will be very excited and thrilled. And the viewpoint of the short-term visitor can't be the same as that of the people living there.

You will probably love the place where you live. But is it always beautiful and full of fantasy? For those who live there, they will sometimes be bored and feel sick.

quote "The sun's gonna rise". (Only English sentence in the lyrics)

Yeah, the sun's gonna rise. Though, have you ever thought that it was fascinating to see the sun rises in your country? The sun rises everywhere in the world. The reason he wrote the lyrics that the sun's gonna rise is to emphasize that Japan is in the east. It is also a Western standard that Japan is in the East. For the Japanese, Japan is the center of the world, not the east. I think Hyde wrote the lyrics as a viewpoint of a Western adventurer.

I'm sorry to criticize too much. Anyway, I think this song can appeal to westerners as Hyde's composition is intended.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: February 10, 2019, 10:13:46 AM
Thank you so much lakeisle! That's a stellar analysis.

Sounds like a pretty... unusual song theme, but it all depends on the literal quality of the lyrics I guess. Anyway, nice vocals Hyde, nice piano, Yoshiki, terrible special effects, video director.

Offline hatsor

• Administrator
  • Rookie
  • Without music, life would be a mistake.-Nietzsche
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 10:21:55 AM
I also think that the part about seeing the sun rising is also because Japan is called "The Land of the Rising Sun". Like we can also see in their Imperial flags. Nippon and Nihon also translate to "The Sun's Origin" often translated to "The Land of the Rising Sun.

This is the rising sun
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 10:23:49 AM by hatsor »

I know not what tomorrow will bring. - F.P.

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #24 on: February 10, 2019, 03:23:59 PM
Oooooh now with that background the song becomes more and more mystical... I just looked up what you mentionend in Wikipedia lakeisle and it says:

Cipangu was first mentioned in Europe in the accounts of Marco Polo. It appears for the first time on a European map with the Fra Mauro map in 1457, although it appears much earlier on Chinese and Korean maps such as the Gangnido. Following the accounts of Marco Polo, Cipangu was thought to be fabulously rich in silver and gold, which in Medieval times was largely correct, owing to the volcanism of the islands and the possibility to access precious ores without resorting to (unavailable) deep-mining technologies.

and

Cipan (日本), which is rendered in pinyin as Rìběn (IPA: ʐʅ˥˩pən˨˩˦), and literally translates to "sun origin". Guó (IPA: kuo˨˦) is Chinese for "realm" or "kingdom", so it could alternatively be rendered as Cipan-guo. The word was likely introduced to Portuguese through the Malay Jipang.

So yeah now it makes sense that the only english lyrics are about the sun and describing the country out of the eyes of a stunned traveller sounds fitting too!  :D Awesome.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #25 on: February 11, 2019, 07:21:37 AM
That's true. 日本(Nihon/Nippon) also has the meaning of "The Sun's Origin" as Hatsor and Kasumi mentioned. The name "Nihon" would had been used long before "Jipang" was first used, namely long before the European adventurers discovered Japan. Nevertheless, it still implies "The East".

It's because the name Nihon was also coined in relation to China.

quote "日本 Etymology : This appellation comes from Imperial correspondence between the Chinese Sui Dynasty and Japan, and refers to the eastward position of Japan relative to China."
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E6%97%A5%E6%9C%AC

As you probably know, from ancient times to modern times, the center of East Asia was China. Most civilizations like letter, books and philosophies were all imported from China. And at that time, the people who could read were privileged(Kanji is damn difficult to read). Consequentially, The more the ruling class, the more had the Sinocentrism.

That is to say, "Nihon - The Sun's Origin" is also outsiders' viewpoint. I bet that Japanese ordinary people like farmers, fishermen and women would have thought "Why is Japan a country of sun rising?".

And I agree with matsumoto. When I saw Hyde's Bodhisattva make-up in the MV, I thought it was over the top. It doesn't even look like Japanese thing. It reminds me of Hindu's tantric sex god. But if his intention was Orientalism, his intention hit the bull's eye.

BTW, the music I felt most Japanese is this. 春よ、こい(May Spring Come).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlaA_1YGshQ
(It is subtitled in English in the video)

This song has been covered by many singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd8Mwm1WGmw
ㄴ I like this version as well.

Actually I first listened to the song that was covered in my native language. I like this version too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enQZR_RgSus

I've thought that it was a song made in the '50s or before that. Today, I realized that it was written in 1994, and more surprisingly, by a female artist. And more surprisingly, she(the artist) has appeared on a talk show with Yoshiki.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/av14213250/

I've seen that video in the past, and at that time I had no idea that the singer was the composer of "春よ、来い".

In the video, she sings a song playing the piano.

​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inf_B9mcT4Q

The song(雨の街を- On the rainy street) is also stunning and very Japanese, I feel.

There are many brilliant musicians in Japan! ​

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 04, 2019, 03:53:33 AM

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 04, 2019, 08:56:27 AM
That's really impressive, the Rolling Stone is the Holy Grail of music press, it's huge that a Japanese musician got a dedicated article like that, good job, Hyde!

ETA: One more!  https://jrocknews.com/2019/04/hyde-interview-2019.html
« Last Edit: April 04, 2019, 09:19:45 AM by matsumoto »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 04, 2019, 09:24:33 AM
i think this happens to great japanese musicians if they release music?  :o ;D

Very cool. I have to say I am more and more a fan of Hyde.

positively unsure。

Offline KurenaiRoseOfPain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KurenaiRoseX-Twitter-
Reply #29 on: April 04, 2019, 08:22:29 PM
I'm not surprised. Hyde is a pro and so smart. He knows how to do his job. (Except for coming to Europe >.<)

~Dry your tears with love~