X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Favourite Visual Kei Band, (Besides X, of course! XDDD)

REM ~Piscean Dreams~ · 4419

Poll

Besides X Japan, which one of the following,( listed below,) would you consider your favourite Visual Kei band?

Dir en Grey! It's all about DIR EN GREY! :D
1 (8.3%)
VERUSAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIII~!!!!!! (Versailles- Philharmonic Quintet-)
0 (0%)
Luna Sea! v(^  ^)
6 (50%)
BUCK-TICK! (>////<)
4 (33.3%)
Malice Mizer! Oh! And of course, *Ahem*, DIX! (Moi dix Mois)
1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Offline REM ~Piscean Dreams~

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: September 06, 2018, 12:04:23 AM
Thought I could use this as a tool to get to know all my fellow X Freaks, out there. Enjoy!

X!!!!!From Canada,
REM! (^  ^)b

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:41:14 AM
D'espairsRay

positively unsure。

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 07:19:12 AM
Luna Sea

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:01:02 PM
I love the over the top outfits Versailles wear. Aaaaand I am really glad you included Malice Mizer! :D Gonna vote for them today, even though they're all great.

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Yohalo

• View Profile
Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 02:44:50 PM
Also D'espairsRay and Mucc 8)

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 03:19:38 PM
It's quite difficult to pick just one!  8)

X is by far my favourite band, and on my top 3 favourite bands ever, regardless of genre. To me X is the only Japanese rock band that transcends the "J-rock"  label thing. I really, really like many of the others but in order to enjoy them I kind of need to get into the "J-rock mindset", if that makes sense. Not that they're any less than Western bands, it's just that I can't throw them in the same bag as, say, Black Sabbath or Aerosmith. I need context (and a little help with the themes and lyrics) to fully enjoy them. This doesn't happen with X: I never needed to translate their lyrics or to really look into what certain references mean to folks in the Far East in order to feel a total connection. I guess the glue that ties their stuff together is of the pretty universal kind.

I don't know much about Dir en Grey, but the more I listen to them, the more conviced I am that they're similar to X in that sense. Which could also explain why they're so palatable for Western audiences, unlike good old Luna Sea or Buck-Tick, who remain pretty niche.

TL;DR: Anyone can cry to X, if you want to cry to Luna Sea, you need to know what the heck is happening in their songs.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 03:22:49 PM by matsumoto »

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 05:03:26 PM
Of the bands shown in the poll I'd chose Luna Sea.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:05 PM
I love the over the top outfits Versailles wear. Aaaaand I am really glad you included Malice Mizer! :D Gonna vote for them today, even though they're all great.

the show is awesome!

What's about Fanatic Crisis, Shazna and La'cryma Christi
?

Are these pictures v-kei too? This band is not listed and is looking very different today - just like X Japan ^^

« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:10:34 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:34:25 AM

Thank you for your Contribution! (^  ^)b It'd be a bloody crime on my part to not Include Malice Mizer, being arguably Japan's biggest VK band during the 90's! Not to mention, they were the first Visual Kei Band I discovered! They're very high, on my list! (^  ^d

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 02:37:52 AM

the show is awesome!

DARN! I was actually contemplating including L'Arc~en~Ciel, But I was unsure of whether or whether not they would count as a Visual Kei band!
XO

What's about Fanatic Crisis, Shazna and La'cryma Christi
?

Are these pictures v-kei too? This band is not listed and is looking very different today - just like X Japan ^^

« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:51:58 PM by nb »

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #10 on: September 07, 2018, 12:27:14 PM
@nb: well yes they looked very v-kei back in the days. Even though just for a short period of time, but when someone talks about v-kei now Laruku really isn't the first thing that comes to my mind. If they would still classify as visual kei they would easily be my favourite in that genre. :)

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline KurenaiRoseOfPain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KurenaiRoseX-Twitter-
Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 05:20:27 PM
Dir en grey, because they were my first and my favorite, but I like them all and don't really have one favorite band^^
More like 5:  X, Diru, Despa, Lareine, Schwarz Stein

~Dry your tears with love~

Offline WeekEnder

• Sunday Listener
  • UwU
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 07:46:58 AM
If you talk about V-kei rock band except X, then for me its Luna sea. Dir en grey is a bit too heavy for me, I liked their older stuff tbh.
But I also like a very obscure Vkei Dance-electronic pop group named MORE DEEP(1989-1992). They did some interesting stuff and were predominantly underground EDM style, even though they had potential the whole act was a massive commercial failure. Their pics and music videos are rare to find and most of the links about articles related to them are broken or dont have any archived pages.

*nuzzles*

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:43 AM
I don't like the "visual kei" label as it doesn't  define the musical style of the band, which is what really matters.

Anyway, talking about japanese rock bands in general, I like Luna Sea a lot. Another band that I like (albeit not listening to nothing they released in the last ten years) is Plastic Tree. I like their style. Simple and sound nice.

The first Dir en grey albums were good. Then they suddenly became a noisy-screaming-skincutting pile of shit that doesn't remotely sound like what they were.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: May 17, 2019, 07:25:03 AM

The first Dir en grey albums were good. Then they suddenly became a noisy-screaming-skincutting pile of shit that doesn't remotely sound like what they were.

lol'd
It's really accurate  ;D

positively unsure。

Offline KurenaiRoseOfPain

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
    • KurenaiRoseX-Twitter-
Reply #15 on: May 22, 2019, 02:03:40 PM
Luna Sea and Plastic Tree are great!
even though for a long time I only liked one song by Luna Sea (tonight) and I enjoy them more live.

lol'd
It's really accurate  ;D

yep that's why I stopped listening to them but the last two albums are better and I enjoyed their concert last year. Still, I like their earlier stuff the most.

~Dry your tears with love~