• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Toshi Appreciation Thread

axlroseX · 4504

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
on: July 17, 2018, 02:27:05 PM
Toshi has been almost single handedly carrying post-reunion X Japan on his shoulders. His vocals since 2007 have improved immensly to the point of even surpassing his voice in the old days. He goves it his all, and elevates the whole band. Para, Heath, and Sugizo are near non factors now (not their fault, Yoshiki doesn't utilize their talent) and Yoshiki has been running the band into the ground aside from nostalgia shows.

Toshi, on the other hand, has consistently given 100% with zero drama. His studio vocals elevate what would be potantially mundane songs into something special (like Scarlet Love Song). La Venus is one of my favorite modern "X Japan" songs simply because Toshi is so freaking good on it.

It sucks Yoshiki doesnt seem to appreciate him, but us real fans sure do. Thanks, Toshi, you respect X Japan, its a shame Yoshiki doeant seem to

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 03:00:42 PM
Much respect to Toshi from me.  Not only is he the ONLY voice of X Japan but he is a founding member as well and should be treated with absolute respect.  This should have been discussed with him and he should have been asked if this was ok by him.  Apparently not from what his response has been or at least the response we have seen from 2 separate people. 

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:02:03 PM
EXTREMELY disrespectful of Yoshiki.

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:48:47 PM

His studio vocals elevate what would be potantially mundane songs into something special (like Scarlet Love Song). La Venus is one of my favorite modern "X Japan" songs simply because Toshi is so freaking good on it.

I couldn’t agree more with this. I wasn’t a fan of Scarlet Love Song and especially La Venus, but Toshi’s vocals are so damn good in them that it makes the song for me. He is the highlight of the acoustic version on th soundtrack, his vocals are ao clear and powerful. Another one is Hero, if you look at the performances from the Yokohama acoustic and Songs of Tokyo, he’s just so good that it makes you love the song.

I have a couple of Toshi DVDs where he does outstanding performances. I have them on google drive, I will share later.

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:55 AM
I think you will enjoy this very much

Crystal Memories DVD
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s8mWpXJ6QexHy0d7CeCU3FGxMD96Ncnx

This one is Toshi performing alone, playing guitar or piano.
DVD 1
01.Forever Love
02.HANA~いのちの芽ばえ~
03.群青の夕紅れ
04.愛する人よ
05.Hero
06.時の海へ
07.X
08.Crystal Memories
09.Love Song
10.Amaoto

This is with an orchestra.
DVD 2
01.Gentle love for tomorrow
02.Welcome to my destiny
03.La Venus
04.Rose of Pain
05.Tears
06.Unfinished
07.紅
08.I’ll Be Your Love
09.Beauty and the Beast
10.クリスタルピアノのキミ (Crystal no Piano Kimi)
11.星空のネプチューン
12.Crystal Memories

Birthday live 2017
https://drive.google.com/open?id=186ZMe1yEjK4Bk6IVjutGyny4ykX4s0Vz

He performs all the songs on acoustic guitar with a pianist and another guitarist. Orgasm is surprisingly amazing acoustic. The arrangement of Drain is amazing too,  the voice control in that one is just wow.

DVD1
01.Jade
02.Rusty Nail
03.Silent Jealousy
04.Beneath the Skin
05.Celebration
06.Drain
07.紅
08.Hero
09.Born to Be Free
10.時の海へ
11.CRYSTAL MEMORIES
12.Forever Love

DVD2
01.La Venus
02.X
03.ENDLESS RAIN
04.ART OF LIFE
05.Say Anything
06.時の海へ
07.CRYSTAL MEMORIES

キラキラ☆玉手箱(BONUS TRACK)
01.Joker
02.Orgasm
03.UNFINISHED

DVD3
01.CRYSTAL MEMORIES
02.Orgasm
03.時の海へ
04.Love Song
05.Toshloveと共に

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 02:55:40 AM
Thank you!

Offline Ulquiorra4th

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 06:53:12 PM
What did Yoshiki do to Toshi? I've been off the forum for at least a month so I'm out of the loop on this. btw the new forum looks cool, I think it did need shaking up after looking one ways for years, great job.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 06:59:55 PM by Ulquiorra4th »

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: August 23, 2018, 03:06:26 AM
What did Yoshiki do to Toshi? I've been off the forum for at least a month so I'm out of the loop on this. btw the new forum looks cool, I think it did need shaking up after looking one ways for years, great job.

He attempted to release a song under the “X Japan” name but it was only Yoshiki and Hyde on vocals. He got so much backslash from fans that he changed it to Yoshiki ft Hyde.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: August 23, 2018, 05:37:16 AM
It was Yoshiki and Sugizo and Hyde and bc of fan backlash poor Sugizo has been buried in the title (and thus his contribution to the song lbr) which is probably why the name X Japan was chosen in the first place.

The song is called Red Swan. It's the season 3 opening theme song for Attack on Titan.

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 12:49:03 PM
Sugizo wasn’t buried because of fans backslash lol the OP is just a demo, that’s why. Now the fans are at fault of Yoshiki’s fucks up :D

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 10:32:36 PM
It's fascinating, that I never answered to this thread.  8)

I think tbh without his charm and stage attitude I maybe would never listen to X.

Of course the music is special Yoshiki wrote (I mention Yoshiki because he wrote most of it), but I also know a lot of bands that are okay-ish. Just because the singer is just a normal guy who can sing.
But Toshi has a remarkable voice. You recognize it everywhere.

And also he seems like such a nice guy. Without any airs and graces.

Just a cool guy

positively unsure。