X Freaks Forum

News:

• Welcome to X-Freaks new forum !!!
    Please read the rules :)
  • We have T-Shirt design contest going on. Please visit this topic :)
  • New Theme! Discussion goes here
  • x-freaks.com - online for more than 12 years!

Toshi's participation in 2018 UTAGE!

sasasama · 1186

Offline Kasumi

• Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #30 on: June 23, 2018, 08:55:04 PM
That Say Anything performance was super awesome. Beautiful!

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 07:46:34 AM
That’s one of the most amazing performances I’ve seen. Damn Toshi, how can you be so good

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 09:40:25 AM
Toshi is really amazing here... he's really an incredible artist... his beautiful voice with that great inspiration...  :-*

Your scars are beautiful

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 10:48:24 AM
That's very beautiful.   Say Anything.  One of my all time favorites as it is.  Hmmm...

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline Ulquiorra4th

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #34 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:39 PM
It was a really amazing performance, right until the last ten seconds, he ruins so many great performances by going overboard when he's already done enough, not having proper control of his voice, and not stopping himself when he knows his voice is going. sorry guys but the ending is part of the whole thing being good, don't know why I'm seeing posts saying "perfection, he didn't put a foot wrong".

If Toshi does that in a live performance in the west on a big live tv event like the X-Factor type stuff/festivals or even potentially at the Japanese Olympics when trying to get mainstream popularity in the west, then it wont happen for them. The general public will not suddenly fanboy them they'll be put off and remember that horrible screeching hoarse throat sound they had to endure for 10+ seconds. Imagine if he did this https://youtu.be/vo7G4cTWsmI?t=422 in that kind of live tv situation, ooh yeah this is the great new band all you hundreds of millions of people should fall in love with.

I thought Toshi was finally moving away from this since he's been doing a lot smarter things with his voice recently, was so close to being the best Say Anything performance since the 2008 Tokyo Dome one imo, bleh.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 05:08:19 PM by Ulquiorra4th »

Teemeah

Reply #35 on: June 26, 2018, 07:34:09 PM
I think it is a bit harsh to say that he ruined a 4 minute performance with 10 seconds of screaming. ;) This is Japan. On top of that, Japanese TV. They work in a different way and expect different things from their guests. I think Toshi has enough work experience to know what he is doing and how he should handle things. :)

Offline sanorin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #36 on: June 27, 2018, 11:06:00 AM
Wow, that was beautiful. Even the screaming at the end was great, his voice didn't crack, it was crystal clear during the whole song.

Offline Fluffy

• Global Moderator
  • Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #37 on: June 29, 2018, 10:20:48 PM
It was a really amazing performance, right until the last ten seconds, he ruins so many great performances by going overboard when he's already done enough, not having proper control of his voice, and not stopping himself when he knows his voice is going. sorry guys but the ending is part of the whole thing being good, don't know why I'm seeing posts saying "perfection, he didn't put a foot wrong".

If Toshi does that in a live performance in the west on a big live tv event like the X-Factor type stuff/festivals or even potentially at the Japanese Olympics when trying to get mainstream popularity in the west, then it wont happen for them. The general public will not suddenly fanboy them they'll be put off and remember that horrible screeching hoarse throat sound they had to endure for 10+ seconds. Imagine if he did this https://youtu.be/vo7G4cTWsmI?t=422 in that kind of live tv situation, ooh yeah this is the great new band all you hundreds of millions of people should fall in love with.

I thought Toshi was finally moving away from this since he's been doing a lot smarter things with his voice recently, was so close to being the best Say Anything performance since the 2008 Tokyo Dome one imo, bleh.

I kinda know what you are saying with this as my initial reaction when I saw the end was 'oh'. However, I think it is still a beautiful version and I think its always going to be Toshi's 'rock concert' tendency to get a bit 'shouty' and perhaps push just a bit over the edge sometimes. Toshi perhaps isn't the best singer in a technical way but I love his voice and all its imperfections and the 'spirit' of Toshi when he sings. In much the same way that I think that Yoshiki perhaps isn't the best drummer or best pianist in the world but he is perhaps the best drumming pianist and the best pianist drummer in the world.  To be able to do both to his level and compose as well is impressive, at least to me who can't play any instruments!
Toshi's voice seems in good condition at the moment and I love 'Say Anything' so I'll forgive any little perceived 'mistakes' as I still love the entire 'Toshi package'.
I know what you mean about the west and the 'X factor' standards for singers. However, I tend to think that these shows often turn out the same uninspiring singers at times. Some are very good but I often find that they don't really 'do it for me' in the way that someone like Toshi does.  I kinda like the imperfections in some singers and music and there are singers with far less talent than Toshi that become loved and famous for their unique voices. I think often we fall in love with a 'voice' whether it is technically a perfect performance or not.

This is my moderator colour

Teemeah

Reply #38 on: June 30, 2018, 11:25:22 AM
Perfect technique doesn't mean a singer can touch you. You cna have the most perfect singing technique, not make any mistake and sing everything to the exact notation, and still not be able to resonate with my heart, with my feelings. There are quite a few internationally acclaimed super-bravado singers, opera talents etc. whose voice was never able to touch me in a way Toshi's can every single time I hear him sing. What will eventually make you a fan is not whether the singer can always produce 100% perfect notes. The overall feeling you get out of the whole stage performance is what going to eventually catch you. I do believe that X is such a band. You need to see a live performance to get under the spell. However perfect or imperfecct the studio recorded version is, I always feel like the live ups it 100000 times. Most of my mp3s I listen to daily are live recordings. Incredible energy, incredible passion. If this cannot touch somebody, then nothing will. If a person won't be touched by how Toshi renders Say Anaything during any performance, they will not be touched by the perfected, autotuned (ie. digitally corrected) studio recording either. Then they are simply just not into this kind of music, which happens. ;)