• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

An important announcement on July 8, LA time

lakeisle · 35882

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #120 on: July 10, 2018, 09:42:51 PM
I think returner's comment brought up some very interesting points and it's great to read from someone who disagrees with most of us. I agree that perhaps we are jumping to conclusions without knowing the whole story. Maybe this as not entirely Yoshiki's idea and maybe part of it is out of his control, even if I have a hard time imagining that scenario.

Still, there's some stuff I can't explain. Why is he silent about this? Why make such a fuss about this announcement and then drop the mic? Like y_tho pointed out on Discord, he probably knows something is not right. Was he fooled into agreeing with this marketing strategy by his moronic staff? Was there a fallout between the bandmembers during the creative process? Did he at some point think it was a good idea but then realised (too late) that he was wrong? In any case, his silence speaks volumes.

I am confused by the fact that neither Sugizo nor Yoshiki have posted about the song on their social media but that to me proves that this is not a vanity project on behalf of Yoshiki. I mentioned it in the chat but I might as well say it here, too, that if the theme song were truly for Yoshiki's ego than why involve Sugizo? If he's the one writing the violin than he could use anyone and keep the theme songs artist registry as Yoshiki feat. Hyde.

To say that the song is Yoshiki flexing his ego is saying that about Sugizo, too, because they're both calling themselves X without the other members, but everyone's only hating on Yoshiki.

We don't know what's going on or why these decisions were made but I do believe that putting X's name on something international will only help with the success of the album.

We should all be patient and also accept that none of us are tiny X flies on X walls.

Edit: X was always, always in a race for exposure, even back in Tokyo as 20-somethings. Yoshiki made Toshi give him all their proceeds from their first ep or tours or whatever (can't remember) and invested it in a magazine add; one of the covers (front or back) if I remember correctly. It was expensive and also not a popular thing to do for a metal band bc it targeted the mainstream.

Then they went and appeared on TV and were the first metal band to do that, too. They were heavily criticized by the underground bc it was seen as selling out, but X was only concerned about the exposure.

That's how we have the X Japan of today. That's how we had the Last Live and hide's solo career. That will never change about X and all the members are used to it (after 30 years I'd assume so, anyway.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:54:38 PM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #121 on: July 10, 2018, 10:19:44 PM

Yoshki is always X Japan. Whenever we have Yoshiki, then we have X Japan.  ;D

TRUE DAT!

X'~en~Ciel   ;D

positively unsure。

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #122 on: July 10, 2018, 11:03:03 PM

TRUE DAT!

X'~en~Ciel   ;D

;D ;D ;D

Each group's marketing team is going to be so mad they didn't think of that lol
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 11:05:01 PM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #123 on: July 11, 2018, 01:52:36 AM

Yoshiki created X. But Yoshiki himself isn't X.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #124 on: July 11, 2018, 02:01:45 AM
It's weird, can't say I'm thrilled about this... Then again it's Yoshiki's band... And XClamation and Es Dur no Piano Sen are also "X Japan songs". So I'm takinga "meh" stance on this until I hear more details.

One thing is a song composed by a member. ANother totally diferent is getting part of the band, recording with another totally unrelated guy just because he is famous and calling it X.

Xclamation was composed by hide and Taiji but the whole band worked on it. Es dur no Piano Sen is a Yoshiki solo as Love Replica is a hide solo. But all of them worked together.

And it's still Yoshiki's fault, as he always like to boost his ego and constantly say that EVERYTHING on X is his. He does, he composes, he produces. He is the guy who wanted to put random guests on the new album which will never be released. He is the one who makes empty promises time and time again.

This is certainly the most fucked up idea ever. And we are talking about the guy who make everyone wait for "important announcements" which turned to be Yoshikitty and Don Quijote products.

Is not hard for a musician to be recognized worldwide. He just need to make some fucking music.

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #125 on: July 11, 2018, 02:02:53 AM

Yoshiki created X. But Yoshiki himself isn't X.

And Toshi did too. Then we can say Toshi is X Japan as he created the band too and he’s the singer. X Japan is a band, not 1 person.

Thank you Joker, I don’t always agree with you but I agree completely with what you just said. I honestly don’t think it’s hard to understand why people are upset about this... and it’s very weird to me that people would compare actual X Japan songs like Xclamation, which is an instrumental to begin with, to this.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:06:54 AM by pt_93 »

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #126 on: July 11, 2018, 06:58:15 AM
X japan without toshi voice is not X

You can say that, again! No Toshi, no X!

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #127 on: July 11, 2018, 06:59:44 AM
Wtf no Toshi, Pata, and Heath? If true, Yoshiki lost his mind

Yep! That's more than half the actual band, left out.  Shameful if you ask me.  :'(

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #128 on: July 11, 2018, 07:37:51 AM
Well I can only think of one thing to say right now, other than my extreme dispeasure of Yoshiki apparently putting himself all over hide's Hurry Go Round.  And that's that this decision is like as though Freddie Mercury was still alive and quite well and Brian May or Roger Taylor decided to do something using another singer such as Lambert, drop Brian as the guitarist and use someone else, too, and maybe one other original member and calling it Queen.  It ain't gonna go.  No go.  If those members were the originals and they wrote music for the band, performed in that band and were well known as part of that band, then suddenly aren't there but someone else is there in their place, then it's not the same band. 

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #129 on: July 11, 2018, 11:08:10 AM
I also think it is irritating that he hasn't mendioned it on his twitter account.

Not too thrilled about calling it X Japan when only Yoshiki and Sugizo are involved + it being a ballad.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #130 on: July 11, 2018, 01:59:42 PM
It's interesting.

Sometimes people in this forum are saying "Yoshiki is X!" and in this case he is only a member of X.

Make your minds up!  ;D

But really, there are many songs which are not "using" the complete band like many of the ballads or drain or such. And some ballads were also released as singles with no involvement of Pata or Heath. And to be honest Sugizo, Pata and Heath are equal X members. Yes, Toshi and Y are the oldest X guys but it's not the fault of the "newer" ones (well, Pata is playing there for over 30 years... new... uhmm). So in my opinion the other guys are X too.

And yes, I would like to see a Heath, Pata and Sugizo featuring something with Miyavi or B'z Inaba or someone else and call it X Japan  :) Why not? Because we all are X!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:34:43 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #131 on: July 11, 2018, 04:58:07 PM
It's interesting.

Sometimes people in this forum are saying "Yoshiki is X!" and in this case he is only a member of X.

Make your minds up!  ;D

But really, there are many songs which are not "using" the complete band like many of the ballads or drain or such. And some ballads were also released as singles with no involvement of Pata or Heath. And to be honest Sugizo, Pata and Heath are equal X members. Yes, Toshi and Y are the oldest X guys but it's not the fault of the "newer" ones (well, Pata is playing there for over 30 years... new... uhmm). So in my opinion the other guys are X too.

And yes, I would like to see a Heath, Pata and Sugizo featuring something with Miyavi or B'z Inaba or someone else and call it X Japan  :) Why not? Because we all are X!  ;D

fully subscribe...  :)

Your scars are beautiful

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #132 on: July 12, 2018, 03:12:07 AM
I read the episode premiered, has anyone heard the track?

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #133 on: July 12, 2018, 03:20:39 AM
I read the episode premiered, has anyone heard the track?

It didn’t have the intro.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #134 on: July 12, 2018, 03:29:51 AM
Damn

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #135 on: July 12, 2018, 02:18:31 PM
I don’t think this has anythikg to do with high expectations or riding Yoshiki’s rollercoaster or being attached to an idea. We were all very excited to grt a new X Japan song very soon that we were not expecting but turns out, THIS IS NOT X JAPAN, it’s a Yoshiki solo with another singer and he labeled it X Japan. Yoshiki alone is not X Japan, I think Joker and Matsumoto are right about why people are upset and why this is so offensise and wrong, so i’m not going to explain again. Good or bad, this is not X Japan.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #136 on: July 12, 2018, 03:30:45 PM
This is not a Solo. It has 2 X members in it. Sugizo and Yoshiki.

And as I said, there were ballads only with Toshi and Yoshiki. Again, two members of X. And some these were released as singles under the brand "X JAPAN"

In this case two members of X (Sugizo and Yoshiki) are doing a feature with another musician, Hyde (Hideto lol) and they (the two musicians from X Japan) are releasing it as "X Japan feat Hyde".

What is your problem? It happened in the past. No one cares. Why is this a problem for you now?

Maybe the problem is this:
Could it be that you do not regard the voice as an instrument but as something absolute? In my opinion, Toshi is "just" a musician of X Japan like everyone else. Just as Hide or Pata have their own special way to play and sound their instrument, so does Toshi. Why is it such a problem for someone else to play Toshi's instrument?
Hey, maybe that's the same with the Marylin Manson song on the album! Have you thought about it?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 03:34:09 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #137 on: July 12, 2018, 03:56:28 PM
Lol wtf

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #138 on: July 12, 2018, 04:57:08 PM
Regardless of your opinion on the branding Yoshiki is not the only one in this collab. Sugizo is also calling himself X Japan but no one has a problem with that, only Yoshiki. It's hate bias.

It's perfectly understandable to be disappointed about not getting the rest of the band on such a highly publicized song that will be coming out any day now, but it's not fair to conspiracy theorizing against Yoshiki for it and hating the entire situation.

I agree with Fluffy and NB. I'm happy we're getting a new song and hey, it will most likely be performed by the rest of X at X concerts anyway.

I will say again that I believe this is the best marketing move for X Japan. Even if it's not all the members, the song is being used on an international level. Whether it was Yoshiki or Sugizo's idea is debatable since neither have commented on their involvement with the song, but it is a smart promotional tool for the album they're planning to release bc a lot of people will research the name X Japan.

It might not make the fans happy or even the members happy but it's what's best for the band, and in the long run that IS what's best for the band and thus the fans.

It's not a super huge deal when it really comes down to it... a new song... good promo... it's nothing to attack anyone over.

Also, it's having expectations not be met that causes these kind of hard feelings. I think it's been long enough that anyone here really has to learn to exercise the art of letting go of control. X isnt operating in a typical fashion and we know that so... chill? Idk. I wish I could say something to make you all relax and enjoy what we have bc it is what it is and at least we're going to hear something new. X could have just not re-banded and Toshi could still be in HOH and Yoshiki could still be releasing 1 VUK song every few years and only holding concerts in Tokyo sporadically.

Everyone's never going to be happy but I understand why the decision to label Yoshiki and Sugizo X MIGHT HAVE been made and I'm also excited about the song and X's name being on AOT.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:03:04 PM by returner »

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #139 on: July 12, 2018, 05:29:07 PM

TRUE DAT!

X'~en~Ciel   ;D

Woah be careful if you call it *something*~en~Ciel you have to include at least tetsu or ken or yuki. Hyde is just the singer!!!111 :D

No but seriously why is everyone so angry? The world is not going down tonight and X Japan (or at least some members) are actually releasing stuff. :D You know what? I'm going to buy that single and if I like it I will play it nonstop after the release and noone can stop me. :D :D :D

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #140 on: July 12, 2018, 05:32:36 PM
While I am still curious how the song will sound ... to be honest ... the recent news i.e. ballad, no Toshi are a huge let down for me and yes, I am disappointed by the news, I was expecting something else.
Of course, at the end it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

What's starting to worry me more and more is the fact, that if the album will be released in the distant future it may include only songs we've already heard.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #141 on: July 12, 2018, 05:47:34 PM
While I am still curious how the song will sound ... to be honest ... the recent news i.e. ballad, no Toshi are a huge let down for me and yes, I am disappointed by the news, I was expecting something else.
Of course, at the end it's my fault for getting my hopes up.

What's starting to worry me more and more is the fact, that if the album will be released in the distant future it may include only songs we've already heard.

Itd we'll hear KTS before the album drops even though it's the one I want to hear the most. Rockstar is also debatable. I also wonder whether Yoshiki's still planning on having the short interludes between songs... didn't they range between like, 15/30 seconds up to a minute 30 or something? I think that would be fascinating to hear in a album. It could really alter the mood and abiance of the listening experience. We would definitely never hear those before the album's released.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #142 on: July 12, 2018, 05:53:39 PM
True, the interludes we probably wouldn't hear before the album is released, but I don't really consider them as seperate songs/or something I'm looking forward to that much. They may work well when listening the album in its entirety, but as a stand alone song, don't know... + it may take away recording space on the album that could be used for another song. ;)

BTW, band is tracking guitars at the moment, wonder for what song.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlIm44tAitq/?hl=en&taken-by=yoshikiofficial

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #143 on: July 12, 2018, 06:05:44 PM
True, the interludes we probably wouldn't hear before the album is released, but I don't really consider them as seperate songs/or something I'm looking forward to that much. They may work well when listening the album in its entirety, but as a stand alone song, don't know... + it may take away recording space on the album that could be used for another song. ;)

BTW, band is tracking guitars at the moment, wonder for what song.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlIm44tAitq/?hl=en&taken-by=yoshikiofficial

Yay! Pata looks happy  ;D Does anyone know what's in that little box on the table?

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #144 on: July 12, 2018, 06:11:56 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BlIpEVnndXX/?hl=en

It's Taiji's birthday today too.

yoshikiofficial: #HappyBirthDay Taiji .
We had some ups & downs, but the time we spent was precious.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #145 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:03 PM
I think Angel may be different on the album. They talked about a solo for it before, maybe it's a more guitar oriented song than we think

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #146 on: July 12, 2018, 06:55:05 PM
Does anyone know what's in that little box on the table?

Looks like guitar pics (Plektrum)
/nb

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #147 on: July 12, 2018, 07:11:54 PM
Lol no one is stewing at home, cursimg out loud at Yoshiki. As has been explained time and time again, this is a message bpard dedicated to X so people like to, you know... Voice their opinions I'm the subject

I'm looking forward to hearing the song, it has how it sounds has nothing to do with my thoughts on its controversial labeling and release

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #148 on: July 12, 2018, 08:00:16 PM
Does anyone know what's in that little box on the table?

Looks like guitar pics (Plektrum)
/nb

Totally looks like a weed box!
hey, someone needed to lighten the mood  8)

I think everyone's brought up very interesting points, especially Fluffy in her latest comment. My initial reaction was to be super bummed about a song marketed as Toshi-free. I don't want my X Toshi-free, just like I don't want my chocolate cocoa-free. But I guess I'll lock up that part of my fan self away for now and wait to hear the song and what the members have to say about it.

As a rock/metal fan who tends to grow attached to the musicians' charisma as well as their music, I have a hard time imagining a band releasing a song under the same name with a different line up. And the vocalist is usually responsible for a huge part of the atmosphere, let's be honest. Would the Guns release a Guns song without Axl? Would Motörhead do it without Lemmy? Would Metallica send Hetfield to his room and record a thing with Bruce Dickinson instead? Probably not. But as some of you have pointed out, Yoshiki is a transgressor who likes to challenge what people think makes a successful band, and more specifically, a successful rock band. I think he might even like to blend the borders of music and fandom scandal a little. Either way, we get a song to listen to and like Kasumi said, if I like it I will listen to it on repeat (I'm sure Toshi won't be too offended), if I don't I'll just listen to something else while I wait for a new X song with my favourite lineup and my favourite singer (in which case Hyde is free to feel terribly offended for all I care).
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 08:03:09 PM by matsumoto »

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #149 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:54 PM
I have complex feelings on it. I really am excited. Just a month ago I said It was a total waste there wasnt an X song showcasing Sugizo's violin. Now, there will be one. I just think it is disengenous to call it an X song when it has one original member on it. Toshi is a founder. X was formed by him and Yoshiki over 30 years ago. Regardless of X being " Yoshikis band", Toshis role can never be over exaggerated.

Now, perhaps I am a hypocrite. I did support versions if Guns N Roses where Axl was the sole remaining original member. I accepted that they were fundamentally completely different bands, and continued to enjoy what those lineups did. However, X currently consists of the most authentic lineup possible, hide and Taiji are dead. Sugizo was hide's friend and I totally support his membership, so I am happy to have him. Guns also hated each other, so those lineups were the best I had at the time. X has all of its members. If X had put out the album and we had material, perhaps Id be more excited about this collaboration with Hyde, but this is only going to be the 7th officially released track in 10 years. 2 of those were unplugged versions of songs. We don't have a lot of post reunion material, and considering the large amount of exposure this song will receive, it is natural Id want the entire band featured on it. We also dont have many guitar based tracks, so its also natural some of us may be frusturated with another short piano ballad. It doesnt mean it wont be a good song or I wont be happy to have it, I did want Sugizos violin with Yoshikis piano, after all. Its just a high action show, a cool guitar based rock song would have been exciting, especially because there havent been many

So yes, Yoshiki is the only original member but I fully accept Sugizo. I think this is different than stuff like Love Replica and Crucify My Love because those were pieces of albums. I also think Toshis role is absolutely vital, so I have less trouble calling something like Without You an X song. Ultimately, what matters most is the music. I hope its a song I enjoy and look forward to hearing it
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 09:15:02 PM by axlroseX »