• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

My X Japan rant with a twist

axlroseX · 11885

Teemeah

Reply #60 on: June 01, 2018, 04:20:45 PM
Yeah, exactly. It's been decades he's been with the band, hiatus notwithstanding, so een if they are not best buddies I don't think Yoshiki doesn't like Heath. You don't need to be best friends with people you work with, you just need to get on. How many of us are friends with every colleague we worked with? I have one good friend that I acquired through working together. This doesn't mean I cannot work with other folks or that I would dislike them. He hired Heath. He was also all smiles when they wished happy birthday to Heath a few years back during concert, and played the piano for him. :) Not best buddies but they get along I think. And as for jokes, they tease each other, Toshi teases Heath all the time, too. :) And Yoshiki teases Toshi as well. :)

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #61 on: June 04, 2018, 01:09:12 AM
I didn't say that it's a crime that Yoshiki and Heath are not friendly. If you think they are friendly, that's good. I have no intention of arguing about that. I just wanted to say.

1. People think Pata and Heath are not good players because their playing is not flashy? 

No. I wrote about Pata. And as for Heath... I've never read or heard accusations that Heath is not a good bassist. I can't assure you that there is not even one, but if there is, it will be a minority opinion.

2. Do Taiji fans complain about Heath?

No. I've never seen that Taiji fans bashing Heath in Japanese, Korean or English communities. It's a huge delusion if you think all of the "Taiji is better" comments were written by Taiji fans to harass Heath. There are more people who think "Taiji is better" is not Taiji's fault or Taiji fan's fault. You can't stop people from commenting their opinions on the internet. If this is North Korea and if you are Kim Jong Eun, you may be able to stop it. But you don't live in North Korea, and there is no way to stop people expressing their opinions. X Japan is one of the most influential bands in Japan. It's not surprising that every member is put under fire frequently. I agree that Heath may be tired of hearing Taiji is better for 26 years. But it is Heath himself who decided to join X as a Taiji's successor. It's his task to overcome. Above all, "Taiji is better" comments are not Taiji's fault. Should he be accused of being recognized as the greatest bassist in Japan ever? Heath has had an opportunity in the last 26 years and still has an opportunity. He will be loved more if he shows his charms more.

3. Is Heath quiet because of Taiji fans?

No. I think he is nervous when he is with Yoshiki, but if you disagree with me, I respect your opinion. Has he talked a lot when he was with Yoshiki before? That's good. I hope he talks more and not be nervous.

Anyway, sometimes Heath doesn't talk much, and it has nothing to do with Taiji, right? 

Taiji died seven years ago. He doesn't order people to comment on YouTube as "Taiji is better". Don't vent angers on Taiji whenever Heath has any issues. I won't ask you to like him. Just... let him rest in peace.

Teemeah

Reply #62 on: June 04, 2018, 08:28:46 AM
Who vented anger on Taiji?  :o I think you utterly misunderstand something.... (I have never blamed Taiji for the backlash Heath has gotten...)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 08:41:17 AM by Teemeah »

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #63 on: June 04, 2018, 10:19:08 AM
1. People think Pata and Heath are not good players because their playing is not flashy? 

Echoing lakeisle on this one. I haven't read that much backslash on Heath. Just people mentioning they preferred Taiji, not just for his technique, but also for the pre-1992 musical direction and general allure. Taiji was a flashy guy and that sure plays a role when you're in a hair metal/VK band. I've never really seen anyone bash Heath for his technique. Except himself: in someone's biography (Yoshiki's, most likely), they mention that Heath was rather surprised X were interested in hiring him at all. His reasoning? 'There are much better bassists out there'.

2. Do Taiji fans complain about Heath?

Not that I know. I know at least one diehard Taiji fan who even has a Taiji tattoo (really!). While they agree X was better with Taiji, they mean pre-1992 X again, as a whole. I also like pre-1992 X better and I think Taiji's influence was extremely important. But he got the sack (maybe for that very reason) and there's not much to be done about it. I can't judge bass technique, but I get the feeling that Heath is a very decent bassist.

3. Is Heath quiet because of Taiji fans?

Almost certainly not. Heath has been part of X for 26 years now. He's 50. Five-oh. After all this time and at this age, he probably doesn't reason like an insecure teen anymore. I guess he's quiet because that's his nature. When he's one a one-on-one conversation, as with Toshi, he probably lets his hair down a little. But if you push him into a crowded and loud TV studio, he probably kind of shuts down as he did on the NYE thing. That doesn't necessarily mean he dislikes being with X, he's probably just a chill introvert. Same for all interaction with Yoshiki. Despite his mild manners and soft voice, Yoshiki is introvert hell! (Think of all the damn people who follow him around everywhere he goes and his diva antics. It's enough to intimidate anyone).

« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 10:22:07 AM by matsumoto »

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #64 on: June 04, 2018, 05:16:37 PM
"It's not easy for me because old fans think I am a foreign object in the band. There are still critical opinions about me even after ten years. But now, live performances do not work without me. So I think like "Do you want to see the live concerts? If so, you can't help it even if you hate me.(laughs)"

I want to bring this up because I've seen some people complaining about Sugizo lately. They bring up mistakes he made 8-9 years ago, I don't think it's fair because he has grown a lot with X Japan in the past 10 years and I think he is the most consistent in the band (and Heath). Even Yoshiki makes mistakes (on both piano and drums) every concert but nobody is perfect, so that's fine but for some reason people are much harder on Sugizo if he messes up once. I personally think X Japan is lucky to have Sugizo as their guitar player.

About Heath, I don't know in Asia but I've seen some western fans complaining about Heath's technique and even saying he's terrible. He's not as flashy as Taiji, he was bass royalty, but Heath is a good bassist, besides he's been playing Taiji's basslines for years! Why do people forget that? Here's a Blue Blood and Scars rehearsal where you can hear the bass very loud and clear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49-iBGscPjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRsaahoIwA

EDIT: hide also made mistakes!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2018, 05:21:56 PM by pt_93 »

Teemeah

Reply #65 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:58 AM
Thanks for reinforcing that I am not making things up... Seriously, I have read such comments about Heath and not one or two... I usually try to read every comment under X videos. (I'm crazy, yeah I know, but I'm interested in what people think about them). I even replied to some of the Heath bashing. I have no idea how to search that back on youtube... I am aware that not every X/Taiji fan hates Heath. But see, even Sugizo feels like he is being disliked for replacing hide, and hide died, there is no way around not having a new guitarist.

Thanks for the links, wow, they are invlauable. (Downloading and saving on my X drive!)

Edit: I'm happy to read the comments under these videos, that say "bass wa sugokatta" (bass was amazing) and "Heath sugoi" (Heath is amazing). More western fans should hear these rehearsals! I've no idea why he sounds muted during most concerts...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:51:47 AM by Teemeah »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #66 on: June 05, 2018, 10:00:30 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49-iBGscPjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRsaahoIwA

EDIT: hide also made mistakes!

I think SCARS is much better in this version as on the album. I love the intro. And also the bass is much more catchy. Why is it so lame on Dahlia? This version is much more IN YOUR FACE! ;D

positively unsure。

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #67 on: June 05, 2018, 08:23:28 PM
oh this version of Scars is quite cool. The beginning sounds like a storm is coming. This would be good in an apocalypse movie or a battle scene. Who is the other singer? Hide?
Yes it is hide. And yes this version rocks!

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #68 on: June 05, 2018, 11:12:46 PM
oh this version of Scars is quite cool. The beginning sounds like a storm is coming. This would be good in an apocalypse movie or a battle scene. Who is the other singer? Hide?

Yes.
During the Dahlia Tour, Scars sounded SO awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jw8Kte3x5s

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #69 on: June 06, 2018, 12:33:25 AM
I think the studio version of Scars is more of a hide doing, because he wanted that industrial sound and other things that Yoshiki didn’t want to do with the song and that’s how the final version happened. As far as I know, Yoshiki wanted to keep or a straight rock song but hide wanted to use the drum loops and everything that ended up in the final version.