• XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

BABYMETAL

aki · 4113

Offline aki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
on: May 01, 2018, 03:56:52 PM
Hi guys!

What do you think of Babymetal? I recently became really obsessed with their music. Tbh, I didn't get the hype at first but now I can't stop listening (I'm actually quite late to the party...as usual). I think their fusion of J-Pop and metal is genius, it's both catchy and something completely new. Apparently they've already done some world tours and regularly play at some of the biggest rock/metal festivals around the world. Their live performances are sooo amazing, please check them out if you haven't already. I would love to see them one day. :)

Plus, I've noticed that their music shares some similarities with X's songs (maybe that's why I'm so hooked lol). Their producer seems to be a huge X Japan fan and included a lot of references to X in their performances. This blog post talks about all the references: http://babymetal.net/tag/x-japan/

For example, Babymetal's song "Akatsuki" is a tribute to "Kurenai":
I absolutely love this song. And I would love to see a collaboration of X Japan and Babymetal. Yoshiki already expressed his interest to do a collab (though I don't really see that happening any time soon ::)): https://www.jrocknews.com/2015/07/yoshiki-would-like-to-collaborate-with-babymetal-at-some-point-in-the-future.html

They're just adorable :3

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 06:33:17 PM
I love Babymetal. The Kami Band are great musicians, top of the top, some of them even play and arrange songs for their albums and Su-Metal is a great singer, I could do without the other girls' "singing" but it's not a dealbreaker, it's charming for some songs and they are just a super fun band. Also, their song No Rain No Rainbow is also a tribute to Endless Rain and Say Anything, in this performance they even have Yoshiki's Kawai crystal piano on stage and they are wearing neck braces while "playing" it.

Other tributes to X is the "We are... Babymetal" thing they do and the neckbrace thing they wear in a song called "Headbanger". Yoshiki joked about their collaboration last year during a Q&A in Germany, he said he'd like to collaborate with other people but he will do after the X Japan album is released, someone yelled "Babymetal" and he said "but by the time the album is released they won't be babies anymore haha" I love that he can see the humor in this too xDD

EDIT: The first time I listened to Akatsuki I though "this sounds familiar" then the solo came and I was like "WTF This is Silent Jealousy" haha
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:37:53 PM by pt_93 »

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 07:46:31 PM
I don't like Babymetal that much. I don't like the idea of idol groups singing to metal music. I used to love Ladybaby. Maybe I'm too old to like teenage girls in short skirts :D

But Do you guys know Aldious? I don't like the new singer, but the old one was really great.

positively unsure。

Offline magucathy

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 07:51:52 PM
I have watched a couple of videos from Babymetal before, it's just not my kind of tea.
I can't stand this kind of super Kawaii girls jumping and dancing the whole time on stage.
But the song 'Akatsuki' is quite good, though.

nb, I don't know Aldious, she sings quite good. I just watched a couple of her videos. Wow, how she can handle all the high tone!

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 08:54:08 AM
Many friends have linked me videos of them recently and I swear I tried to like them, but it legit doesn't happen.  8) I don't really see them as musicians per se, either. More like dancers/stage performers with decent vocals, but that's about it.

That being said, I love the idea of women in metal. I feel like my gender is extremely underrepresented in the industry, which is a quite a shame  :-\

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 09:10:14 AM
They're ok and I do like their voices but geeez they are young.   I would imagine the pedos go wild over watching them.  :o I  just can't force myself to think of someone that young (and I might be way off but they look about 12-14 years old) to be real rock musicians.  Ya know?

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 10:14:42 AM
nb, I listened to that link of Aldious.  I've never heard of them before but I liked what I heard.  Listened to a couple of other songs, too.  Not sure who the old singer was or how much different they are.  Can you post a link with the previous singer performing with them?

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 12:10:30 PM
The previous singer is the girl with dark hair. The newer is the blondie.

old one (Rami)

new one (Re:NO)

8)

positively unsure。

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 04:22:20 PM
The previous singer is the girl with dark hair. The newer is the blondie.

old one (Rami)

new one (Re:NO)

8)

OK, I figured you liked the blond singer more.  I like the one you like better, too.   8)

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2018, 06:17:26 PM
Unfortunately you got me wrong. I linke the old singer. I don't like the voice of the new one. Rami has such a powerfull voice.

positively unsure。

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2018, 06:52:37 AM
No I got you right.  LOL.  Not the blonde, the other one.  I like her a lot more than the blonde!

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 07:08:19 PM
They're cute and all and their songs get easily stuck into your head, but I was never really into the band. The time when people started to listen to Babymetal, I was listening to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. :D

While I'm away, read this line again...

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 09:56:04 PM
The time when people started to listen to Babymetal, I was listening to Kyary Pamyu Pamyu. :D

#metoo  :D

positively unsure。

Offline aki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #13 on: June 26, 2018, 06:09:18 PM
I would like to know if anyone can hear what I hear and maybe explain. ;D

So there is this video of hide's solo performance:
I think it's part of the "On the Verge of Destruction" concert. Around 7:20 hide plays a melody that sounded very familiar to me. When I first heard it I was like: "No, wait, that is Babymetal!" To me it kinda sounds like "Megitsune": (especially at the beginning and around 3:00)

Thoughts? Is this a reference to another song? Or did Babymetal use one of hide's melodies? I know that Babymetal's songs are heavily influenced by X so maybe that's the case here as well...

Offline MM

• View Profile
Reply #14 on: June 26, 2018, 07:01:06 PM