• Welcome to the X FREAKS forum!
    Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Coachella with surprises

Guest · 45532

Teemeah

on: April 07, 2018, 07:25:32 AM
So, Coachella is coming and here's a thread to discuss it afterwards. And before that, here in this article Yoshiki is quoted saying they have surprises in the set list.

“X Japan is very eclectic, we kept mixing up any kind of genre which interested us,” Yoshiki says. “And we have a few huge surprises, so we may blow people’s minds away.

“I hope if everything goes well everybody is talking about our set the next day at Coachella. I don’t know if it’s going to work or not but we’re definitely planning something big.”

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/05/coachella-2018-yoshiki-talks-about-x-japan-and-the-trek-from-tokyo-to-the-desert-for-a-hard-rockin-set/

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 11:26:41 AM

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 08:30:26 PM
Sugizo, bro, why haven't you applied for that visa earlier?  :o

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 11:38:31 PM
can we please get Richard Fortus

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 02:28:47 AM
How the fuck does this even happen? What kind of clowns are involved in planning and management of this band? An X Japan without Sugizo would be a sub-par experience and not even remotely one I'd want to have on display at one of the biggest festivals in America. What the fuck.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 02:57:22 AM
Lol are you kidding?

Fortus could do it. GNR won't start rehearsals this early

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #6 on: April 08, 2018, 03:11:20 AM
I read Sugizo might be able to play on the 21st, I hope he does. I don't understand how something like this always happens...

Lol are you kidding?

I was kidding because I know some people would hate that but I'd actually wouldn't mind, I like Fortus very much.

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 04:17:21 AM
I read Sugizo might be able to play on the 21st, I hope he does. I don't understand how something like this always happens...

Lol are you kidding?

I was kidding because I know some people would hate that but I'd actually wouldn't mind, I like Fortus very much.

Fortus is great. Ive seen him many times and met him once. Great guitarist

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #8 on: April 08, 2018, 04:18:03 AM
I meant "are you kidding?" I'm regards to the bands ridicolous position again

Offline pt_93

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #9 on: April 08, 2018, 04:35:59 AM
I meant "are you kidding?" I'm regards to the bands ridicolous position again

I figured that later. But really, I agree that Fortus is great and I think it'd be very cool

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #10 on: April 08, 2018, 08:40:52 AM
Another surprise. A bad one: Sugizo's visa issuance is late and he may not play at Coachella.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180407-00000746-bark-musi
https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180406-00000384-oric-ent
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/pickup/6278189
Wow...he should get a new assistant, or whoever is supposed to take care of that visa. I mean, many bands tour 10+ countries in like 2, 3 months.
And I would love the surprise to be them playing in full-fledged visual kei looks  ;D

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #11 on: April 08, 2018, 10:23:02 AM
While Richard is a workhorse and got the skills to play their songs I'm not sure if there would be enough time for him to learn the songs.
Hopefully Sugizo's visa issues got resolved and he's able to perform. Would be a huge let down to have them play without him.

Teemeah

Reply #12 on: April 08, 2018, 10:33:16 AM
How the fuck does this even happen? What kind of clowns are involved in planning and management of this band? An X Japan without Sugizo would be a sub-par experience and not even remotely one I'd want to have on display at one of the biggest festivals in America. What the fuck.

That can happen even if the management is the best in the world. You know, visas are not given by management. And there can be hiccups at the other end, or things that get scrutinized by the visa giving officials. This has happened to other artists several times, and not just in the US, in Europe as well. One Chinese member of a Korean band touring Europe had to remain at home because he didn't get the visa, unlike the other members of the band. Simply wasn't allowed in Europe, that's it.

The management can't do much about influencing the visa process. Also, I believe that X Japan members are managed separately, and it is not unimaginable at all, that the members' visa processes were started by the individual management agencies of the members. In any case, a lot of things could have happened, late paperwork, whatever. Thing is, we don't know, so let's not start blaming people for stuff we have no insight into. Especially that US visa processing has notoriously been ridiculous for years now and a LOT of performers have suffered because of it. Even Boy George was once denied visa to the US. :)

http://www.vulture.com/2017/03/sxsw-all-the-musicians-who-cant-perform-visa-issues.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/arts/us-visa-rules-frustrate-foreign-performers.html

Teemeah

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2018, 11:29:47 AM
Is it possible that maybe his previous entries to Syria is what prompted the US officials to deny his visa? The urrent political climate doesn't really welcome people who advocate for the Middle East...

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2018, 11:55:11 AM
While Richard is a workhorse and got the skills to play their songs I'm not sure if there would be enough time for him to learn the songs.
Hopefully Sugizo's visa issues got resolved and he's able to perform. Would be a huge let down to have them play without him.

He could learn the set the day of and be fine. I agree itd suck to not have Sugizo, but Richard would be a solid backup

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #15 on: April 08, 2018, 12:14:36 PM
Is it possible that maybe his previous entries to Syria is what prompted the US officials to deny his visa? The urrent political climate doesn't really welcome people who advocate for the Middle East...

It makes sense.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #16 on: April 08, 2018, 09:54:13 PM
Could this new banner on the X Japan facebook page be promising? https://imgur.com/a/UgX8t yes, you could argue that they'd show Sugizo's image because he's part of the band but you could also argue they'd opt for another design or perhaps just the X JAPAN and coachella logos with the dates? Hoping they resolved the visa issue.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #17 on: April 09, 2018, 06:05:40 AM
Could this new banner on the X Japan facebook page be promising? https://imgur.com/a/UgX8t yes, you could argue that they'd show Sugizo's image because he's part of the band but you could also argue they'd opt for another design or perhaps just the X JAPAN and coachella logos with the dates? Hoping they resolved the visa issue.

He appears because he is still part of the band. In the interviews he says that they are still working and trying to get the visa on time, the guest guitarist isn't even confirmed yet.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #18 on: April 09, 2018, 07:10:02 AM
Oh hell! Why didn't he get his ass in gear and get on that visa, immediately?!?!  I bet Yoshiki is fuming. This is just not going to work without Sugizo.  He is a key member of the band, now, and it won't be the same without him.  He has brought so much to X. Damn!!

This is probably a dumb question but why was he going to Syria?  Does he have a residency there? If not, and he is only or solely a citizen of Japan, I don't know why this should pose such a problem.

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Teemeah

Reply #19 on: April 09, 2018, 07:28:48 AM
Oh hell! Why didn't he get his ass in gear and get on that visa, immediately?!?!  I bet Yoshiki is fuming. This is just not going to work without Sugizo.  He is a key member of the band, now, and it won't be the same without him.  He has brought so much to X. Damn!!

This is probably a dumb question but why was he going to Syria?  Does he have a residency there? If not, and he is only or solely a citizen of Japan, I don't know why this should pose such a problem.

Because Syria is in war, and the USA has its interest in there. And Sugizo visited Syrian refugees and actively campaigns against war and for refugees. Under Trump administratio that's more than enough to deny a visa to any national. Thy have denied visas for lesser stuff before. I don't think they applied late, it's more likely his political views influence the outcome. See the links I posted above, a BUNCH of foreign bands have been denied visas for less.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 08:39:42 AM

Because Syria is in war, and the USA has its interest in there. And Sugizo visited Syrian refugees and actively campaigns against war and for refugees. Under Trump administratio that's more than enough to deny a visa to any national. Thy have denied visas for lesser stuff before. I don't think they applied late, it's more likely his political views influence the outcome. See the links I posted above, a BUNCH of foreign bands have been denied visas for less.

Ahh yes, I see, now.  This could be the reason for sure.  What a terrible shame if he can't play.  He is such a good guitarist and performer and I just don't see it being the same with a substitute guitarist taking his place.   :(

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #21 on: April 09, 2018, 09:11:34 AM

On Twitter, Yoshiki announced the substitute member was decided. And he said that they would start rehearsing on April 7th. I think Yoshiki forgot to write this mention in English. In his interview, Yoshiki said there may be two substitute guitarists in place of Sugizo. I don't know if Yoshiki arranged for one guitarist or two guitarists this time. Anyway I feel so relieved that they could find the guitarist quickly.

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2018, 09:44:31 AM
I bet Yoshiki is fuming.

The smoke is visible from miles away actually!  ;D

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2018, 10:06:01 AM
I bet Yoshiki is fuming.

The smoke is visible from miles away actually!  ;D

Hahahahaha! I bet!

Offline Kasumi

• Administrator
  • Fan
  • Love will find the way
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2018, 07:35:08 PM

On Twitter, Yoshiki announced the substitute member was decided. And he said that they would start rehearsing on April 7th. I think Yoshiki forgot to write this mention in English. In his interview, Yoshiki said there may be two substitute guitarists in place of Sugizo. I don't know if Yoshiki arranged for one guitarist or two guitarists this time. Anyway I feel so relieved that they could find the guitarist quickly.
I'm glad they have found a substitute so quickly and I'm curious whom it might be...

While I'm away, read this line again...

Teemeah

Reply #25 on: April 09, 2018, 08:50:32 PM
Coachella will livestream the X Japan show on the 14th! Time to be announced later. https://www.youtube.com/user/coachella

Offline Guruxo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #26 on: April 09, 2018, 10:16:40 PM
Will definitely be watching the livestream as long as it's not at like 2am or something in my time lol. Can't wait to see how they perform live, but I'm worried about Sugizo not being able to make it. It would be such a huge let down for one of the members to not be there at one of the biggest music festivals in the world.  :-\

edit: Just read the news about Sugizo. It's very disappointing that he can't perform, especially at such an important event...  :'(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:23:54 PM by Guruxo »

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 11:18:16 PM
Will definitely be watching the livestream as long as it's not at like 2am or something in my time lol. Can't wait to see how they perform live, but I'm worried about Sugizo not being able to make it. It would be such a huge let down for one of the members to not be there at one of the biggest music festivals in the world.  :-\

edit: Just read the news about Sugizo. It's very disappointing that he can't perform, especially at such an important event...  :'(

Yeah. A concert without Sugizo will be weird. Since the 2011 tour I see him growing into the band, getting his space and even technically improved a lot. Being out of such an important event for them is bad.

I really hope everything goes smooth and he could play at least the second concert.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 04:56:35 AM
Found this on Yahoo.jp for what it's worth.  And of course google translated it but I'll leave the link as well.

X JAPAN, SUGIZO not going to visit the US festival of this month too difficult to apply for visa "Bet on opportunity until the end"
X JAPAN · SUGIZO (right end), possibility of not going to festival in the US

It is highly likely that X JAPAN guitarist · SUGIZO will not be able to appear in the large-scale rice festival "Coachella Music and Arts Festival" that the band will participate in on the 14th (local time) I understood that on the 6th. SUGIZO and leader YOSHIKI explained on the same day, according to the interview of ORICON NEWS, the circumstances of the situation to the fans because processing of visa application is difficult.

10th and 11th out of sunglasses playing on the piano it is said to be the outpost of the same festival "Resurrection 10th anniversary celebration X JAPAN LIVE 2018 US Festival just before the event PREMIUM GIGS ~ YOSHIKI Night of resurrection ~ "Will be held at Tokyo · Zepp DiverCity. Yoshiki, who overcame last year's cervical spinal injury, played a full stage drum revival, was supposed to get on California with five members.

Interview at the beginning "Suspected that there is a possibility that Coachella will not be in time for a visa application in the absence of processing," SUGIZO said. Although the procedure will proceed until the date of departure from 12th to 13th, the possibility that the appearance on the 14th will not be over has increased.

It is said that Yoshiki had grasped this problem the day before, and we will hold an urgent meeting on the 7th today to discuss countermeasures with other members. Regarding the stage where SUGIZO can not appear, YOSHIKI said, "Because performance is not a twin guitar, I think that the worst will be supporting guitarists."

SUGIZO for the fans waiting at the site "I myself have not given up yet on the way to the United States, so I am trying to bet on the opportunity to the end, but since the only part of the visa problem is that this thing does not progress so much ..." Explicitly explain the situation. "In the case of asking for a support guitar at the worst possible time, if you think positively, I think that there is also a part saying" I can see a special X JAPAN that can only be seen on that day ", so I'm happy if you can positively consider it. Well, I will do my best as a current X JAPAN. "

Meanwhile, YOSHIKI bitterly smiles "It is lightly panicking" to this problem that occurred as much as he could with his body for returning to the drum. "Since SUGIZO's existence is really big, if you come to support, you will need a huge amount of work to tell (support members) the fine nuance of his performance.The maximum is also cooperating with SUGIZO as much as possible I want to receive it. "

Also, when you ask about the state of recovery of the anxious body, "It is not in a state that you can hit the drum perfectly yet, so it's harder than thinking how far you can drive yourself in the past few days. I can not do any rhythm by moving it, so it's like I'm doing a completely different musical instrument, "he confessed. Still, "In terms of the stage overseas, Coachella is the biggest opportunity given to the band, so if it does it is going to raise a whirlwind in the field," he said, looking at the big stage in the world with undestroyed words.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20180406-00000384-oric-ent

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 02:05:54 PM

I'm glad they have found a substitute so quickly and I'm curious whom it might be...

I just read on a Japanese community that Miyavi will be the guest guitarist in Coachella. I hope he rocks.

https://youtu.be/xHhmS0ysEH8