• Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

Coachella with surprises

Guest · 45547

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #150 on: April 16, 2018, 08:26:20 PM
Sugizo's violin is so great it actually makes me sad. I would have loved for it to be incorporated more on actual newly recorded songs

Teemeah

Reply #151 on: April 16, 2018, 09:02:48 PM
Yeah I think we forget that people who don't know the songs wouldn't even realize rhe mistakes because they don't have the melodies in their ears like we do. We notice if Toshi sings lower or if Sugizo is playing the guitar solo wrong because we know these songs inside out. New people won't notice such details. So far I only read very positive reviews of the show! It is awesome, and whatever people think about Coahella nit being the right place for X, it is exposure. Sometimes you need to go into the pop lion's cave and ramble there with some japanese metal to catch attention.

Offline Ulquiorra4th

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #152 on: April 16, 2018, 09:20:31 PM
I went on the Coachella subreddit and outside of one X fan who made a thread and got literally one reply, I couldn't find a single thread or discussion on X, so I wonder how much people noticed them, it's not just them, I'm guessing it's the same for every new act who's played at the festival and people there have never heard before, people mainly want to talk about acts they're already a fan of and for nostalgia purposes. They definitely got a good reception/reputation from this though, and next weekend will most likely be better for them.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #153 on: April 16, 2018, 09:23:56 PM
There was a thread on Reddit. Few comments, but people seem to like it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coachella/comments/8cdsdd/holograms_return_to_coachella_x_japan/

Offline matsumoto

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #154 on: April 18, 2018, 09:09:23 AM
So the "surprise" Yoshiki had in store for next Saturday is.... Marylin Manson. Thoughts?

I'm not much of a Manson fan, but I'm curious to see what it will be like. I can't quite imagine Manson singing with Toshi, so I suppose he'll have his own solo moment?

Woah, I can haz admin colour.

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #155 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:13 AM
here what RollingStone wrote about X Japan performance at Coachella ("The 18 best things we saw...")

"X Japan
While Beyoncé delivered the epic performance of her career across the field, X Japan landed in the Mojave Tent to deliver on the flash and melodrama that has made them hugely popular across the globe. They played to a modest but excited crowd, the front rows packed with true believers singing and weeping along. There were hard rock explosions and teary ballads, and cameos by Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit and Richard Fortus of Guns N' Roses. "Jade" began with a speed metal riff and geysers of pyro, then shifted into an emotional glam melody and lyrics sung in English. The star behind the drums and piano was band mastermind Yoshiki, shirtless and wearing a leather neck brace. He ended the night with the band's traditional show of unity, shouting "We are! We Are!" and their followers responding with a rousing "X! X!"

P.S. "mastermind Yoshiki shirtless" eheh  ;)

Your scars are beautiful

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...
Reply #156 on: April 18, 2018, 09:28:22 AM
shirtless - this is the important thing!  ;D

positively unsure。

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #157 on: April 18, 2018, 09:35:45 AM
There was a thread on Reddit. Few comments, but people seem to like it.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Coachella/comments/8cdsdd/holograms_return_to_coachella_x_japan/

Those are really some great comments on there.  And they recognized Sugzio's guitar issues, too.  Most if not all said they enjoyed X a LOT more than Beyonce.  Yay!!! That makes me feel great and I bet the band thinks so, too.  Relieved.  Those are the only comments I've seen posted at all and I didn't know where else to look but twitter and Facebook.

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #158 on: April 18, 2018, 09:37:50 AM
here what RollingStone wrote about X Japan performance at Coachella ("The 18 best things we saw...")

"X Japan
While Beyoncé delivered the epic performance of her career across the field, X Japan landed in the Mojave Tent to deliver on the flash and melodrama that has made them hugely popular across the globe. They played to a modest but excited crowd, the front rows packed with true believers singing and weeping along. There were hard rock explosions and teary ballads, and cameos by Wes Borland of Limp Bizkit and Richard Fortus of Guns N' Roses. "Jade" began with a speed metal riff and geysers of pyro, then shifted into an emotional glam melody and lyrics sung in English. The star behind the drums and piano was band mastermind Yoshiki, shirtless and wearing a leather neck brace. He ended the night with the band's traditional show of unity, shouting "We are! We Are!" and their followers responding with a rousing "X! X!"

P.S. "mastermind Yoshiki shirtless" eheh  ;)

And this is very good as well.  I am glad it was published in Rolling Stone.   I feel great, now! :D

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #159 on: April 18, 2018, 10:19:30 AM
So the "surprise" Yoshiki had in store for next Saturday is.... Marylin Manson. Thoughts?

I'm not much of a Manson fan, but I'm curious to see what it will be like. I can't quite imagine Manson singing with Toshi, so I suppose he'll have his own solo moment?

I thought Yoshiki would do this... it seems that working with the Reverend gives him some new creative inspiration... I am not a Manson's fan either, anyway I listened an italian interview and have to say that, when offstage, he is quite witty and even somehow nice. I think Yoshiki's enigmatic gut feelings and taste for transformation meet more easily that I imagined with Manson's extreme performances. I'm really curious.

P.S. thanx a lot for discord chat link!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:38:03 PM by helenmoon »

Your scars are beautiful

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #160 on: April 18, 2018, 10:36:38 AM
And this is very good as well.  I am glad it was published in Rolling Stone.   I feel great, now! :D

Yeah, I'm so happy for them, they really deserved it!!
I realized I saw the whole live unconsciously placing myself in new western listeners' shoes... so I was a little upset about how they could experience that... but playing it back (thanx a lot LEMONedMe) I more and more appreciate Yoshiki's new drumming, the band's skill to countebalance technical issues and Toshi's voice that supported the gig almost untill the end and he's being so empathic with the audience despite his difficult situation with earphones...!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 10:53:19 AM by helenmoon »

Your scars are beautiful

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #161 on: April 18, 2018, 10:49:30 AM
Yoshiki's interview on Jonesy's Jukebox after Coachella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRAAsay8AJU

Your scars are beautiful

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #162 on: April 18, 2018, 11:38:27 AM
Hey are you guys downloading the file on Mega or just watching it there.  Just curious. 

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #163 on: April 18, 2018, 11:44:03 AM
downloading

positively unsure。

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #164 on: April 18, 2018, 11:54:38 AM
Good! That's why I put it up there.  LOL

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #165 on: April 18, 2018, 12:38:08 PM
Hey are you guys downloading the file on Mega or just watching it there.  Just curious.

LEMONedMe, I downloaded it. Thank you! Can I link the address to the another X fan community?

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #166 on: April 18, 2018, 01:22:02 PM

LEMONedMe, I downloaded it. Thank you! Can I link the address to the another X fan community?

Yes, go ahead and link to another fan community.  I don't know how long I will keep it up, though.  I think it expires 30 days after I uploaded it, though.  Tell them to hurry! LOL

Offline Ulquiorra4th

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Reply #167 on: April 18, 2018, 05:02:30 PM
We're...we're back! Thanks whoever got that all sorted out. And thanks for the interview, I like how confident Yoshiki is here.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 05:47:09 PM by Ulquiorra4th »

Offline Kurenai_Akari

• Fan
  • Toshimitsu Deyama fan
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter profile
Reply #168 on: April 18, 2018, 07:48:12 PM
(Oh thank gah, the board is back.)

I know I was gonna say my piece on the show, but my thoughts are pretty much like everyone else's. Technical crap made things bleah, most of the crowd was fish eyed & bleah, poor ToshI & his stage fright (no, srsly, poor ToshI), etc.

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Reply #169 on: April 18, 2018, 08:50:17 PM
Not the biggest Manson Fan, but I like some of this songs + a duet with him and Toshi could turn out good. A couple of times he played with the Pumpkins and it wasn't bad at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-EjdJsR2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC6SOVMrEzk
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 09:07:22 PM by Matthias »

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #170 on: April 18, 2018, 10:20:09 PM
I'm a fan of Manson so I'm really looking forward to this. I think it will be edgy. I feel like Manson and VUK Yoshiki could have looooots of fun. But I'm really looking forward to what he's going to do on stage with X... So far since X's reunion, Toshi hasn't sung with guests before, has he?

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #171 on: April 18, 2018, 11:44:57 PM
I finally listened. Not a great show, but bad shows happen to any band

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Reply #172 on: April 19, 2018, 01:53:12 AM
Am I the only one who hates Marilyn Manson here?
I even liked the last Wes and Fortus appearances, but... Marilyn Fucking Manson? Why?

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #173 on: April 19, 2018, 03:40:42 AM
A fan informed me a livestreaming channel for the second X Japan gig at Coachella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RFxoTzu9AQ&feature=youtu.be

It is not the official channel for Coachella. I can not guarantee that the information is accurate.

I hope we can see X Japan in real time on there or other channels.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #174 on: April 19, 2018, 06:42:08 AM
YÖS!

thx lakeisle

positively unsure。

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Reply #175 on: April 19, 2018, 07:02:50 AM
I even liked the last Wes and Fortus appearances, but... Marilyn Fucking Manson? Why?

Risen Christ versus Antichrist... "There can only be one"  :P

Your scars are beautiful

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #176 on: April 19, 2018, 07:38:18 AM
A fan informed me a livestreaming channel for the second X Japan gig at Coachella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RFxoTzu9AQ&feature=youtu.be

It is not the official channel for Coachella. I can not guarantee that the information is accurate.

I hope we can see X Japan in real time on there or other channels.

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!! This is great! I hope it will be good enough to record.  I was just thinking about 30 minutes ago, we should tweet Coachella with all our might and beg, beg, beg them to stream the next concert, (especially since the equipment malfunctions were their fault  :-X )  No I don't mean really say that to them about the malfunctions but we could sure try tweeting them! A LOT!

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #177 on: April 19, 2018, 07:39:11 AM

No, you are not the only one.  I guess we'll have to sit together. Hahahahaha!

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Reply #178 on: April 19, 2018, 07:44:05 AM
Hey, that link for streaming this next show goes to a channel who appear to be visual kei fans that stream bands like X and many others.  Here's their video and they've got a Facebook page.  They may do a very decent job of streaming this show!  FB link or name is in the comment section below the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDAidnLL4qw

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Reply #179 on: April 19, 2018, 08:59:58 AM

Risen Christ versus Antichrist... "There can only be one"  :P

Hahaha! (featuring masaya)

It's off topic. But I wonder why Yoshiki wears a crucifix around his neck. At first, I thought he is a Catholic. But now I bet he is not a religious person. Sometimes he hangs sunglasses on his crucifix necklace.

Is it just a fashion item? Is it a symbol of anti-Christ?

LOL. I have a lot of unnecessary curiosity.