Please read the rules :)
  • Please read and accept our Privacy Policy
  • XFF - Ad free since 2006 \o/

X JAPAN 10th Anniversary of Reunion - PREMIUM GIGS in Tokyo announced

darkcat21 · 15777

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
The wrong notes work for me in context of the whole song, but only then.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Kurenai also was played in a lower key, just saw a video on Instagram.
So Drain was probably in a lower key also, like the acoustic concert. Sad to see Toshi's condition.

Teemeah

well, he is not getting younger... and he probably screwed his voice up with singing in full on high notes all the time. I don't mind the lower keys.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
well, he is not getting younger... and he probably screwed his voice up with singing in full on high notes all the time. I don't mind the lower keys.

Is weird, it sounds weak. But is better than nothing and it happens to everyone who sings high notes for too much time. I can remember Deep Purple and Offspring, totally different styles, lowering keys as well.

X
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhburDGnyV3/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbtZywF0Xl/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbnDJcnVJW

Kurenai
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhbhtkzh1dZ/

Beneath the Skin
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bhbr3avB6AB/

And a mouthful of a 10 member introduction on X.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbynxdHCmP/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 04:15:58 PM by Joker »

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile
Stop guys lol. It's easy to pin singing worse on age but Toshi is an excellent singer with strong vocals. He was better last year than he was during reunion. There's a number of factors that could be affecting his voice, like allergies or just getting sick.

They might have also dropped the key on several songs to reserve his voice for Coachella. They might have even told him to sing "weaker" (Michael Jackson would do that during dress rehearsals to save his voice for the show). Overall, the anniversary concert was just another concert... It's an anniversary and everything but it's not as important as the career marker that is Coachella. I say we reserve judgement until this weekend.

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Stop guys lol. It's easy to pin singing worse on age but Toshi is an excellent singer with strong vocals. He was better last year than he was during reunion. There's a number of factors that could be affecting his voice, like allergies or just getting sick.

They might have also dropped the key on several songs to reserve his voice for Coachella. They might have even told him to sing "weaker" (Michael Jackson would do that during dress rehearsals to save his voice for the show). Overall, the anniversary concert was just another concert... It's an anniversary and everything but it's not as important as the career marker that is Coachella. I say we reserve judgement until this weekend.

Toshi is still an amazing singer. I don't doubt that. And I agree he was amazing between 2015~2017, even better than the first reunion concerts, when he was totally out of shape.
But is a fact, he is getting old and we may never see them playing some songs at their "original" form. Is just weird when you listen to it at first.

Probably those songs will be played exactly the same way in Coachella. And from now on. Toshi needs to sing in lower key, Yoshiki need to play the drums more calmly. It happens. Age comes and they need to take care of their bodies. It's just a new phase.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:26:09 PM by Joker »

Offline axlroseX

• Fan
    • View Profile
If they need to lower keys, so be it. Doesnt make it worse necessarily.

Offline returner

• Fan
    • View Profile

Probably those songs will be played exactly the same way in Coachella. And from now on. Toshi needs to sing in lower key, Yoshiki need to play the drums more calmly. It happens. Age comes and they need to take care of their bodies. It's just a new phase.

Were they lowering the key on anything besides Drain before the anniversary concert?

And I agree Axl, lowering the key doesn't make them worse bc they're good songs with beautiful melodies. But I don't feel comfortable being of the opinion that they're lowering them from now on forever until it happens for a handful of concerts. Then again I was under the impression that they'd only been lowering Drain before now. If they've been lowering other songs than maybe it is time.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:24:42 PM by returner »

We are not trying to keep the legacy—we are trying to move forward, so our sound is going to change. I’m ready to be criticized, for example by fans saying "you should rather be this style." I’m ready for it, I’m okay with any concept of criticism-Yoshiki

Teemeah

It doesn't sound  weird to me but I'm not a musician so what do I know.. :) I prefer whatever suits Toshi best. If this is the way for him t preserve his voice, so be it. I can still switch on old videos if i want to hear him sing in full blast. I just want all of them to be healthy.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
I saw the concert at the theater yesterday. Regardless of music, Yoshiki made me choke. Yoshiki looked like a mermaid when he jumped into the audience. I always fail to be calm to him. I hate him or love him. He makes me crazy.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
I saw the concert at the theater yesterday. Regardless of music, Yoshiki made me choke. Yoshiki looked like a mermaid when he jumped into the audience. I always fail to be calm to him. I hate him or love him. He makes me crazy.

Someone who was barely walking a few time ago, is still recovering from a serious surgery, shouldn't be stage diving.
But is Yoshiki. Nobody can control him.

Offline lakeisle

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile

Someone who was barely walking a few time ago, is still recovering from a serious surgery, shouldn't be stage diving.
But is Yoshiki. Nobody can control him.

Yes, I know for sure. He is out of control. Diving can be dangerous to the audience as well. But he was really brilliant at that moment.

Teemeah

Ok, here is the link to the recording https://mega.nz/#!r2BSEAAL!MnGmN8ekzja4P2CmXkCJIhqz-sL_IlD78E9CyBKyAPE It's a torrent file. Pretty big, 28GB in TS format. If I can, I will try converting to a smaller AVI.

Edit: definitely an amazing concert, i could only watch bits and pieces so far but I will watch it in full tonight. Heath is finally properly plugged in (lol, seriously though!). Yoshiki looks energetic and well, though at times you can see that he is in pain while drumming. Toshi does struggle but I think it is OK. Pata is cuuuuute and Sugizo is really confident and the guest guitarists do well, too. All of them seem to enjoy it and I think this is probably also the setlist for Coachella, since this is shorter than their usual gigs.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 03:50:46 PM by Teemeah »

Offline Matthias

• Die-hard fan
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link. Gonna watch it during the weekend.

Offline Babak

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Wow, BIG thanks Teemeah!

Offline Guruxo

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot Teemeah!! I'll watch it tomorrow night  ;D

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Watched it earlier today and it was a great performance. Yoshiki is playing with more technique and less force, which is good for its health and actually sounded good. He still seems uncomfortable but I think is just a matter of time, he is actually playing very well this way.

Toshi and Sugizo were amazing (I was expecting another different solo on Rusty Nail, like he did on the first day, but was amazing anyway), the guest guitarist were quite integrated to the band. Each one played a song (and actually played, even the solos), which supposedly was the idea behind the 2008 concerts if they weren't so chaotic. Pata and Heath were Pata and Heath, which they do pretty well. Heath seems more excited on this concert than the last ones which I saw.

I was also hoping to listen the final version of Kiss the Sky, which is also promised since 2014. From the pieces leaked, it seems to be amazing, but Toshi said in an interview once that every time he goes to the studio, Yoshiki changed the song completely. Well, there is still hope to see a final version of it. I'm still trying to get used to Drain, Kurenai and X in a lower key. They didn't sound "bad", but were quite different. After listening to those songs for more than 15 years, it takes some time to like the changes and I just don't understand why Forever Love wasn't played with the full band.

Offline Feudal

• Fan
    • View Profile
Not sure what the logic is behind the lower key for some of the classics...I'd be surprised if Toshi wasn't able to hit the notes in the higher key...maybe they were worried about him blowing his voice or straining it right before Coachella? I viewed these 2 shows as a warm up for Coachella anyway....

Also, what the hell is Yoshiki doing stage diving? This guy baffles me....you just had major surgery and are telling people you were nearly paralyzed and have to alter your drumming style and you go and jump into a crowd of fans who are like savages. Lmao my god. Anyway, looking forward to the live stream on Sat night.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
Not sure what the logic is behind the lower key for some of the classics...I'd be surprised if Toshi wasn't able to hit the notes in the higher key...maybe they were worried about him blowing his voice or straining it right before Coachella? I viewed these 2 shows as a warm up for Coachella anyway....

I think they'll keep the lower key. If you see the he forces his voice to reach the high notes in X and Kurenai on the last concerts and TV appearances (ex.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmARlSGKnYg).

Teemeah

Toshi is really struggling in this concert, at times I cringed even, i'm very sensitive to those missung high notes. He screams at times instead of singing.

Offline nb

• Administrator
  • Big fan
  • Bokuwa ongakuka, dentaku katateni。
    • View Profile
    • some kind of nerdness...

indeed. In London Toshis voice was in his best shape since the early 90s

there is a complete recording on jpopsuki \o/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:36:53 PM by nb »

positively unsure。

Teemeah

anyone noticed that they play an English version of Tears at the very end? I have never heard that.

Offline Joker

• Fan
    • View Profile
anyone noticed that they play an English version of Tears at the very end? I have never heard that.

They are using it as the ending on every concert since 2010.
Curiously it wasn't even fully recorded. It's the exact same recording from 1993, with only the first verses in English. After the first chorus, you can clearly notice the difference on Toshi's voice, and the final part is back in japanese.

Probably it is a demo from the english versions which never came out.

Offline YoshToshBGosh

• Sunday Listener
    • View Profile
I don't mind them dropping the key on some songs, actually, many artists do that, and it's normal to lose some vocal range when getting older.
Maybe Toshi will sound even better!

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile
Toshi is really struggling in this concert, at times I cringed even, i'm very sensitive to those missung high notes. He screams at times instead of singing.

I know, poor dear Toshi.  I hope he's not too upset when he's struggling like that and unable to sing the way he used to.  I still love him just as much, just the way he is.  <3

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Yoshiki looked like a mermaid when he jumped into the audience.

Yeah, saw him... He was precisely like that...  :)

Your scars are beautiful

Offline helenmoon

• Sunday Listener
  • kiss the sky
    • View Profile
Ok, here is the link to the recording https://mega.nz/#!r2BSEAAL!MnGmN8ekzja4P2CmXkCJIhqz-sL_IlD78E9CyBKyAPE It's a torrent file. Pretty big, 28GB in TS format. If I can, I will try converting to a smaller AVI.

Thank You so much Teemeah!!!

Your scars are beautiful

Offline Ulquiorra4th

• Rookie
    • View Profile
So, the pro-shot concert we have, was it from the 10th or the 11th? Because I thought someone said it was the first day the 10th (can't find the post), but I have a couple of vids here that say they're the 10th, but it's not the same live as the pro-shot.

First video contains the first four songs, and the second is X. I think Toshi was great on day 1, but sang better here imo, especially on X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV_EP0R8exM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgkeKfOE7Lo

Offline MM

• View Profile
I'm gonna guess it's from the 11th.
I went to the live viewing which was supposed to start at 19:00, obviously it didn't, then they announced something which made people laugh and indicated that it won't start soon. And it didn't, it started like an hour later.
This timeline kinda lines up with the WOWOW broadcast where the first (more than an) hour filled up with music videos etc.

Offline LEMONedMe

• Big fan
    • View Profile

Edit: definitely an amazing concert, i could only watch bits and pieces so far but I will watch it in full tonight. Heath is finally properly plugged in (lol, seriously though!). Yoshiki looks energetic and well, though at times you can see that he is in pain while drumming. Toshi does struggle but I think it is OK. Pata is cuuuuute and Sugizo is really confident and the guest guitarists do well, too. All of them seem to enjoy it and I think this is probably also the setlist for Coachella, since this is shorter than their usual gigs.

I can't get this file to open and I don't know what to do to open it.  Help!!!!!!  :P

Sometimes our tears blinded the love
We lost out dreams along the way
But I never thought you'd trade your soul to the fates
Never thought you'd leave me alone